The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 07-15-2020, 03:10 AM   #3281
hypered1
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
So he is running experiments on Hob. I guess that?s one of the bits I don?t remember. It still seems a bit shaky to me, but thanks for chiming in.
The Old Hob micro issue gives more detail to this part of his backstory.
hypered1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 11:26 AM   #3282
Bobby Curnow
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
Bobby, sorry if these have been answered...

- Do you know if the Deluxe hardcovers will reset with a "Volume 1" release starting with issue #101? It looks like the trade paperbacks may be taking this route.

- Any plans for Mateus Santolouco to return that you can speak to?

Thanks!
You mean the IDW Collections? I haven't heard anything about those restarting with #1. I hope not!

And yes on Mateus! We've been in communication recently. That's about all I can say about it at this point.
Bobby Curnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 11:32 AM   #3283
Bobby Curnow
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
A few more, if you have time Bobby:

I recently began a re-read of the series. I?m finally collecting the hardcovers so I can catch up on what I?ve missed, but at issue 4, I am already puzzled by a couple things. I don?t mean to nitpick, but I am wondering if there are explanations for:

A. Stockman letting Hob go after Splinter and the turtles, instead of capturing and studying him. I suppose he was not injected with one of the serums, so he wouldn?t be quite as useful as the turtles or Splinter but it still strikes me as odd that they would let him go as opposed to studying him.

B. The turtles and Old Hob being able to speak English right after mutating. Is the English language encoded into the mutagen? Sorry for being a smartass, there is probably a good answer.

Thanks for any confusion you can clear up. I?m really enjoying the start of the journey, but I?m a tad hung up on these questions.
I'd have to go back and reread this material (which is either in archive or in my office at IDW central which is currently locked down!), so this is just off the top of my head but...

A) Hob was still kinda working as a minion for Stockman at this point, right? I imagine Baxter thought that he'd get more value out of Hob engaging the Turtles or that Hob would be too unruly to keep around. That, and the fact that Hob wasn't a "controlled" experiment perhaps meant he only had so much scientific value to Baxter.

B) Ha, no, I don't know that I have any good answer for that. Both the Turtles and Hob were around humans before mutating so perhaps they absorbed some English in some way, the understanding and speaking of which was enhanced when the mutagen affected their brains.

That's clearly me just making stuff up to justify. To a degree we're doing what has always been done with mutagen in TMNT-- playing fast and loose with the science of it so it works for the story. I definitely don't recommend looking too closely at it as more holes will likely appear!
Old 07-16-2020, 10:07 PM   #3284
AquaParade
Banned

I appreciate it, Bobby! I don't expect there to be a neatly packed answer for every little thing, but I appreciate the effort.
I've gotta say, I'm probably enjoying the series more now than I did the first time around, aside from the excitement of it being new & mysterious that came with the launch of the book. Expectations probably have something to do with that.

Though I am reminded again that I miss the dynamic here between Leonardo and Donatello. Not only that we were able to ruminate on the science vs mysticism angle, which had a lot of potential before it was confirmed that they were, in fact, reincarnated, but also just the contrast between appointed leader and someone with an intelligence high enough to really challenge that.

Thanks again.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 07:12 AM   #3285
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Curnow View Post
You mean the IDW Collections? I haven't heard anything about those restarting with #1. I hope not!

And yes on Mateus! We've been in communication recently. That's about all I can say about it at this point.
Woo-hoo, more Santolouco! Bring on the crazy saint!
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 07:49 AM   #3286
hypered1
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja View Post
Woo-hoo, more Santolouco! Bring on the crazy saint!
I agree his work is amazing and hopefully there won't be any crazy delays like last time - not a complaint cos I know s**t happens sometimes.
Old 07-26-2020, 11:13 AM   #3287
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

I heard that issue 110 of TMNT will have Alopex and Raph dealing with a group of biker mutants. It would be cool if some of these bikers are mutant mice and they are dressed up similar to the Biker Mice from Mars. It would be a cool easter egg and reference.

Spoiler:
Old 07-27-2020, 08:35 PM   #3288
Ninjinister
無問題

They're the Road Hogs btw.
Old 07-28-2020, 05:53 PM   #3289
Bobby Curnow
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
I heard that issue 110 of TMNT will have Alopex and Raph dealing with a group of biker mutants. It would be cool if some of these bikers are mutant mice and they are dressed up similar to the Biker Mice from Mars. It would be a cool easter egg and reference.

Biker Mice from Mars were cool!

Or at least my very limited memory of them thinks they're cool!
Old 07-28-2020, 07:32 PM   #3290
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Curnow View Post
Biker Mice from Mars were cool!

Or at least my very limited memory of them thinks they're cool!
Yeah you can totally have some of those mutants dressed up similarly like them.

Old 07-29-2020, 02:59 AM   #3291
hypered1
Mad Scientist

To be fair they are one of the more successful anthropomorphic mutant ips that were created to cash-in on the TMNT craze of the early nineties.

Preferred Bucky O'Hare myself.

Old 07-29-2020, 03:12 AM   #3292
Mayhem
Foot Elite

Fun fact, Bucky O'Hare was actually created before TMNT came along...
Old 07-29-2020, 03:43 AM   #3293
hypered1
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
Fun fact, Bucky O'Hare was actually created before TMNT came along...
Huh, I wasn't aware of that and if wikipedia is accurate both Bucky and the TMNT debut in May '84, although apparently Bucky was created a few years before that in either '77 or '78.
Old 07-30-2020, 07:35 PM   #3294
neatoman
Emperor

Krang spoke of other hosts he had and that they weren't as difficult to deal with as Leatherhead, how often has Krang used his parasitic abilities and is Leatherhead hard to deal with because he's a mutant?

I was also wondering about the Slithery, is the implication that the initial blast reached into the sewers or has the mutagen been lying around and poisoning the eco system for a while now?
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 08:10 AM   #3295
AquaParade
Banned

Bobby, I'm seeing a lot of discussion in comic book circles online regarding the identity of the turtle in "The Last Ronin". I don't want to pry, but I have to wonder what level of enthusiasm you guys are seeing for this series over at IDW. I'm a bit of a cheerleader for this book, but it seems like this could be pretty big in the comic community. It was a great idea for you guys to hold back on revealing the turtle's identity.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 09:44 PM   #3296
spookycookies
Stone Warrior

Bobby I was thinking about those Orphans that were so important to the whole conflict between the 3 different ninja clans leading up to #100 I know they fled to dimension X but did they stay there? I was just thinking how odd it was that right now the turtles are training a new generation of ninja when they were so against having those orphans being enlisted in the foot, even under Splinter?s guidance.

I mean Splinter clan seems to be pretty tame and I?m guessing it?s more of a community program compared to the foot but with the focus being switched to mutant town can we expect to see these kids again or is their story effectively over?

I?m forgetting if this is how it works in IDW but did time move differently in Dimension X? Could the TMNT return there to find a whole new society of humans that came from that group that originally crossed dimensions? I know they likely aren?t any priority on the list of characters you have running around but for being so important it?s odd they just don?t matter any more.
spookycookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 10:23 PM   #3297
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by spookycookies View Post
Bobby I was thinking about those Orphans that were so important to the whole conflict between the 3 different ninja clans leading up to #100 I know they fled to dimension X but did they stay there? I was just thinking how odd it was that right now the turtles are training a new generation of ninja when they were so against having those orphans being enlisted in the foot, even under Splinter?s guidance.

I mean Splinter clan seems to be pretty tame and I?m guessing it?s more of a community program compared to the foot but with the focus being switched to mutant town can we expect to see these kids again or is their story effectively over?
I'd say the difference between both sets of kids is that the orphans were to be forcibly inducted into the Foot ranks under Karai, plus the mutant children will always be at risk due to what they've become and the Turtles know this better than anyone. It certainly won't hurt if they can even begin to handle themselves in a hostile environment, which Mutant Town certainly is, and they can always find themselves in even worse pickles. Again, just ask the Turtles. Bottom line, while the mutant kids sort of need to know how to defend themselves against a harsh world full of threats that comes with the territory of being a mutant, the human kids had a choice, they had options, and it was all about keeping those options open for them. Just my perspective on the matter.
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 05:21 PM   #3298
Bobby Curnow
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Krang spoke of other hosts he had and that they weren't as difficult to deal with as Leatherhead, how often has Krang used his parasitic abilities and is Leatherhead hard to deal with because he's a mutant?

I was also wondering about the Slithery, is the implication that the initial blast reached into the sewers or has the mutagen been lying around and poisoning the eco system for a while now?
Obviously we could change this as the story dictates, but I think Krang wouldn't have had many hosts. In my mind the Utrom society had turned to more durable machine bodies by the time Krang came around and using organic bodies at that point was just something royalty maybe did every once in a while for special occasions to honor tradition. So, he'd have some experience with controlling a host organism but not a lot.

As I said, that's all in my head, so that could change!

As for your Slithery question-- keep reading! We'll address those questions to an extent in the near term.
Old 08-03-2020, 05:24 PM   #3299
Bobby Curnow
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
Bobby, I'm seeing a lot of discussion in comic book circles online regarding the identity of the turtle in "The Last Ronin". I don't want to pry, but I have to wonder what level of enthusiasm you guys are seeing for this series over at IDW. I'm a bit of a cheerleader for this book, but it seems like this could be pretty big in the comic community. It was a great idea for you guys to hold back on revealing the turtle's identity.
Cool, glad to hear it! Yeah, we're seeing a lot of enthusiasm. I've found a good metric to be how many retailer exclusive covers we have and we have about as many as with TMNT #100. (I really thought I was done with that level of covers after #100! )

I think the hiding of the identity was mostly due to Kevin or Tom's suggestion, so they deserve the credit there!
Old 08-03-2020, 05:32 PM   #3300
Bobby Curnow
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by spookycookies View Post

I?m forgetting if this is how it works in IDW but did time move differently in Dimension X? Could the TMNT return there to find a whole new society of humans that came from that group that originally crossed dimensions? I know they likely aren?t any priority on the list of characters you have running around but for being so important it?s odd they just don?t matter any more.
Yeah, those are all good questions. Speaking truthfully I'm not totally happy with how that whole orphan storyline was tied up (i'm not pointing any fingers at anyone other than myself). I think we mostly just ran out of space and at the time didn't know that Sophie was going to be introducing some kids into the book half a year later. If I could do it differently, with hindsight, I think it might have worked better for those original orphans to be mutated in Hob's bomb and then they could just carry on to be the kids we're seeing now.

But yeah, this is just meant to be basic training like a kid would get in a karate class, no becoming thieves and murderers like they likely would under Karai.

And all that being said I would definitely like to revisit them (and Harold and Libby) at some point before too long!

Tags
bobby curnow, idw, idw's tmnt, questions, tom waltz