The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 06-17-2021, 11:41 PM   #101
Storm Eagle
Saved by

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactus View Post

As for the Game & Watch that's a hard pass. The first two games are hardly something you'd want to play on the go and it's pretty weak as a pure collectible. Maybe if they'd included A Link to the Past to cover all the classic 2D Zelda games but otherwise it's a no from me.
A Link the Past would require more than just an A and B button. So I wouldn't have expected it to be on the Game & Watch.

I don't need it anyway myself. I already have Zelda 1 & 2 on my New 3DS XL, and a working COLORIZED Link's Awakening cartridge that I can play on my GBA SP.
Storm Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 06:47 PM   #102
Galactus
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
A Link the Past would require more than just an A and B button. So I wouldn't have expected it to be on the Game & Watch.

I don't need it anyway myself. I already have Zelda 1 & 2 on my New 3DS XL, and a working COLORIZED Link's Awakening cartridge that I can play on my GBA SP.
Good point although I'm sure they could make it work somehow. Some of the first era designs has more buttons if I remember correctly so they could use that. Maybe it's easier on their budget but I'm surprised that they went with the basic model Game & Watch design for these re-releases instead of the more well loved clam shell and dual screen design that inspired the GBAsp and DS.

Heck I think Nintendo is missing a trick not re-releasing actual Game & Watches as collectibles. Cheap to make and the better known games would sell pretty well.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 07:59 PM   #103
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Quote:
Good point although I'm sure they could make it work somehow. Some of the first era designs has more buttons if I remember correctly so they could use that. Maybe it's easier on their budget but I'm surprised that they went with the basic model Game & Watch design for these re-releases instead of the more well loved clam shell and dual screen design that inspired the GBAsp and DS.

Heck I think Nintendo is missing a trick not re-releasing actual Game & Watches as collectibles. Cheap to make and the better known games would sell pretty well.
They are just re-using the same mold from the Mario G&W, two birds one stone, they already have the molds, the roms are free it'll be very profitable to them. It's a shame that these don't actually include the real G&W Mario or Zelda games but that would require effort. I love nintendo but they're lazy.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 12:42 PM   #104
Storm Eagle
Saved by

Quote:

I just remembered Oracle of Seasons and Oracle of Ages, but having five games on it probably wouldn't have been possible. Maybe it would be, but it would cost more.
Storm Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 01:56 PM   #105
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
I just remembered Oracle of Seasons and Oracle of Ages, but having five games on it probably wouldn't have been possible. Maybe it would be, but it would cost more.
Nintendo barely cares about this games. I am hoping they get full blown remakes like Link's Awakening. Ages/Seasons are like the most overlooked/forgotten Zelda games given they're old Gameboy Color games from 2000.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 03:45 PM   #106
sdp
Megan Fox = April

It's not a storage issues, GBC/GBA roms are extremely small in size and storage is cheap as heck. Nintendo owns the ROMS so it costs them the same to include 1 or 10 games really. LTTP does have the GBA port which got rid of two face buttons so there was that version either, but again this is only for collectors and Nintendo knows they buy anything, just to be sure it'd sell more than the Mario one they put an extra game to make it seem like it's worth more.

Nintendo does seem to hate the Oracle games and minish cap, they never got DLC in Hyrule Warriors; people speculate because Capcom made them but there's no real evidence for that.
Old 06-19-2021, 04:13 PM   #107
CyberCubed
Overlord

Minish Cap is at least referenced a few times and leads into the creation of the Four Sword for the Four Swords games.

Ages/Seasons are generally never brought up, but they are on the 3DS virtual console at least.
Old 06-19-2021, 08:08 PM   #108
frank_one
Mad Scientist

Oracle of ages/seasons were developed by Capcom. That's probably why Nintendo doesn't want to release them again.
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 09:34 PM   #109
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_one View Post
Oracle of ages/seasons were developed by Capcom. That's probably why Nintendo doesn't want to release them again.
They work with Capcom and other developers regularly, and put them all on the virtual consoles, so they did technically release them all again.

You can buy Ages/Seasons on the 3DS right now.
Old 06-20-2021, 07:13 PM   #110
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
I don't understand game and watch.

the title is confusing. is it a watch and a game? do you just watch it? but not if you play it?

what is the point of these?
I shall assume that you are not familiar with the Game & Watch series. It's the precursor to the original Gameboy. Each one had its own game. If you've played the more recent Smash Bros games, the character (mascot, I guess) that looks like a shadow is from the Game & Watch series. He had his own game, like a juggling type game.

It seems that they are putting out a Game & Watch version where you can play the original Legend of Zelda game somehow (I haven't watched the video yet). The real Game & Watch definitely wouldn't have had the technical capabilities to run that type of game.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 09:31 PM   #111
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

What they better do is give "A Link to the Past" the same treatment they gave "Link's Awakening" on Switch. They can just use the same engine.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 06:24 AM   #112
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
What they better do is give "A Link to the Past" the same treatment they gave "Link's Awakening" on Switch. They can just use the same engine.
Wouldn't it make more sense to remake the Oracle games using assets from the LA remake? After all, the original Oracle games re-used the engine and assets.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 07:01 AM   #113
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Wouldn't it make more sense to remake the Oracle games using assets from the LA remake? After all, the original Oracle games re-used the engine and assets.
No. It wouldn't make more sense.
Old 06-21-2021, 12:32 PM   #114
frank_one
Mad Scientist

For a remake of A Link to the Past they could use an enhanced version of the engine of The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds released on 3ds years ago. That game was a direct sequel to the SNES game and had a perfect graphical style, very similar to the one of A Link to the Past.

The only remake I would care about? A remake of the very first Zelda game. Man, it's about time they redo that one. Keep it 2d, give it new hd graphics with some 3d effects and a lot of quality of life improvements like an interactive maps, more characters and location and a lot more hints. Something like what they did with Metroid Zero Mission on GBA. And then they could do the same with Zelda 2.
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 12:33 PM   #115
Turo602
The King of Kings

Remaking A Link to the Past is redundant after they already did A Link Between Worlds.
Old 06-21-2021, 09:29 PM   #116
CyberCubed
Overlord

They don't need remakes anyway, only the Gameboy Color games do.

And Zelda II, but they'll never remake that game as it's the bastard child of the series.
Old 07-18-2021, 06:56 AM   #117
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I did get Skyward Sword HD yesterday. My daughter is glued to it... which somewhat subsides me kicking myself for bothering completing about 35% on Wii U download a few months back. Because I know there is no path to completion but to start it again from scratch on Switch in HD.
Old 07-19-2021, 06:21 PM   #118
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Quote:
I did get Skyward Sword HD yesterday. My daughter is glued to it... which somewhat subsides me kicking myself for bothering completing about 35% on Wii U download a few months back. Because I know there is no path to completion but to start it again from scratch on Switch in HD.
sunk cost fallacy, just play the Switch version, it has QOL improvements that even if you were 35% done it'll be a better experience to start it again, you'll be able to skip a bunch of annoying things so it'll be faster and the improvements will make the rest of the game better to play and take less time than if you continued to play the original file.
Old 07-20-2021, 08:35 PM   #119
The Deadman
Foot Elite

Bit the bullet and bought Skyward Sword HD earlier today.

Last Movie Watched: Hell House LLC (2015).
Last TV Show Watched: Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog (S1:E29).
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 06:15 PM   #120
turtle1237
Stone Warrior

Quote:

You can play a Link to the past on the Switch. If you download the online SNES program, the game is in the SNES collection(Along with Zelda 1 and 2 for the NES collection)

My issue is that it is Zelda's 35th birthday and all we really got was a watch and Skyward Sword. NO TP, NO OOT or Wind Waker. Compare to Mario last year? Mario got his ass kiss lol. Zelda???
turtle1237 is offline   Reply With Quote