The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 09-12-2021, 01:10 PM   #281
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Grain of Salt Time

Quote:
The site notes that, "Insiders claim Kathleen Kennedy, the Hollywood producer behind the franchise, is keen to make 'big, bold' changes – with few bigger than switching the lead character to a woman." One source adds, "It would be a huge statement, and a great role for Phoebe."
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/actio...7962#gs.amz9fx
Old 09-12-2021, 01:14 PM   #282
Leo656
The Franchise

I don't know if it'll come to that, but I would definitely put money down on the idea that those conversations are happening behind-the-scenes very high up. There's no way it hasn't come up in conversation.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 04:47 PM   #283
IMJ
Emperor

If it happens it will backfire badly. Indy fans, man.... I mean, I wouldn't blame them for walking away; but you've got to know your audience. I could see one of those guys like actually assassinating Kathleen Kennedy or something for her bull $#!( there. Indy fans are a rough crowd, I'm telling you.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 05:00 PM   #284
Leo656
The Franchise

The thing is, "Indiana Jones" as a character isn't necessarily "over" (in wrestling parlance). I know the Young Indy TV series did okay, but aside from that, there's been a ton of secondary media from comics to video games starring the Indy character and all have done "just okay" at best.

Without Harrison Ford, specifically, there simply is no sustainable Indiana Jones "franchise". People don't care so much about the character in and of itself as they do in seeing Harrison Ford BE that character (and typically having so much fun with it as he always did, or seemed to be anyway).

I know it's in the best interests of Hollywood to try and maintain the Indy "brand's" popularity by tinkering with it so that it can become something sustainable into the future since Ford essentially won't be able to remain involved much longer for multiple reasons. But I just don't see the Indy character being something they can just "James Bond" their way into making an evergreen franchise. I kinda think it'll end when he does, for the most part. It'll still be merchandised in the form of those comics and video games and such even after Ford himself is no longer with us, but they'll continue to be irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.

I definitely see the studios trying to make "Indiana Jane" as a desperate gamble to move the brand beyond Ford, and then when that fails they'll inevitably try and reboot the entire series with whatever young male actor they want to push as the next big action star, doing a serviceable Harrison Ford impression. But it's not gonna work.

Nobody cares about Rocky unless it's Sylvester Stallone playing him, and nobody cares about Indiana Jones without Harrison Ford. That's just the way it is.

Old 09-12-2021, 05:02 PM   #285
CyberCubed
Overlord

Yeah nobody is going to care about this franchise after Harrison Ford. I mean look at the Tomb Raider movies which is basically the same thing with worse writing, nobody cares about the movies despite the games being popular.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 05:34 PM   #286
frank_one
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
there's been a ton of secondary media from comics to video games starring the Indy character and all have done "just okay" at best.
The videogame Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis is considered a masterpiece among the fans of the old graphic adventure genre but, yes, it probably sold "just okay" as not a lot of people appreciate that videogames genre.
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 05:49 PM   #287
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_one View Post
The videogame Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis is considered a masterpiece among the fans of the old graphic adventure genre but, yes, it probably sold "just okay" as not a lot of people appreciate that videogames genre.
I played it, it's pretty good. I'm not a big adventure game guy but I had fun with it.

But yeah I'm sure most "Indy Fans" don't even know about it, just like all the other secondary media related to the character. I love a lot of the comics and games, but they're not a big deal in the Big Picture. For most people the "franchise" is just the movies, and without Ford there's just no draw.

The concept and even the character isn't what attracts people, it's always simply been Ford doing his thing with a role that was basically built as a showcase for him. It's not like there's a whole genre of "Archaeologist Punches Nazis" fiction out there that people fawn over, it's pretty much just this One Thing.

Remove him from the equation, you've got no product.

Old 09-12-2021, 05:54 PM   #288
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_one View Post
The Emperor's Tomb was really good and there were some great moments in the Staff of Kings as well - especially that crazy last level riding a motorcycle through the ocean!
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 09:48 PM   #289
Sumac
Banned

Replacing Indy would be a biggest mistake Kennedy can do, which is why I am confident she will do it. If not, because, she things she is some sort of super genius (which almost ruined the greatest franchise on the planet), but, just out of spite to "smash the patriarchy" and leave her mark in this history.

Come to think of it - she is possibly Herostratus of a Hollywood: her goal is to be remembered at any cost and **** on others while she can.

Replacing Indy with a woman would be an end of the franchise, much like replacing Bond with a woman would be the same. We've seen how it works with Ghostbusters'16.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 10:57 PM   #290
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I wouldn't be against a spinoff of Indiana Jones that happens to feature a woman. As long as it's just its own thing and 5 isn't just a vehicle for that, which I don't think it will be. And any kind of "fresh start" beginning in the 60s (which is when 5 is set) isn't quite as fun as a return to, say, the 40s.

And I loved the Fate of Atlantis game on PC ages ago. To me, that will always be the best 4th movie we never got. I think I had to call a 1-900 hint number to get through it and got in trouble with my parents when they got the bill.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 02:06 PM   #291
sdp
Megan Fox = April

so there's time travel in the new movie, i think it's the most exciting thing we've heard so far.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 02:08 PM   #292
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
so there's time travel in the new movie, i think it's the most exciting thing we've heard so far.
Hmm... was that a trope of 1960s sci-fi/adventure media? I guess there's Doctor Who as a contemporary of that time period.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 02:25 PM   #293
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Time travel, huh? If so, how much you want to bet we're gonna get Old Indy and (CGI de-aged) Young Indy teaming up?
Old 10-14-2021, 03:37 PM   #294
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

It seems that We Got This Covered is reporting on these, They have a reputation on reporting on rumors, No other site is covering this news.
https://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/...e-time-travel/
Old 10-14-2021, 03:46 PM   #295
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Seems to be all stemming from one guy's Twitter:

https://twitter.com/ViewerAnon

Might be legit.
Old 10-14-2021, 03:52 PM   #296
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Seems to be all stemming from one guy's Twitter:

https://twitter.com/ViewerAnon

Might be legit.
I wouldn't trust anything posted from some random twitter account, Especially one that isn't verified.
Old 10-14-2021, 04:08 PM   #297
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
I wouldn't trust anything posted from some random twitter account, Especially one that isn't verified.
As a rule, no, but looking at the body of his tweets I'd leave this one as a "maybe."
Old 10-14-2021, 04:15 PM   #298
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

The new set photos that leaked lend credence to the time travel rumor.

I don't know whether I like or hate the idea of time travel Indy movie. Initial reaction is WTF? but then I'm intrigued to see how they try to pull it off.
NinjaPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 04:37 PM   #299
frank_one
Mad Scientist

Indy will travel back in time to prevent Mutt's conception.
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 06:19 PM   #300
Sumac
Banned

Time Travel, huh?
Well, I mean, after aliens, I don't think time travel is outrageous.

Though, I hope it is not Men in Black 3 situation, where they've used time travel as a plot device to replace TLJ with Brolin for majority of the movie.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote