The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 05-25-2021, 06:29 PM   #61
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Kahn View Post
This is EXACTLY in response to neca, the price point, everything.

Playmates just has to make an 'effort' to release product in scales or pricepoints and can then flex their master license muscle and say "see we are also producing 'collector' product at a 50.00 pricepoint" which then throws neca off the shelves in toy isles or collector isles.

It is what they tried to do with the never released mirage series shredder etc. they showed them at toyfair in order to say 'look we have product coming too'
Exactly. And if I had to guess, it's a legal attempt to use the license they've been sitting on doing nothing with so as not to lose it under terms.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 09:00 PM   #62
Y2Josh
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
Exactly. And if I had to guess, it's a legal attempt to use the license they've been sitting on doing nothing with so as not to lose it under terms.
I may be misremembering... or possibly just imagining this... but as the master license holder, doesn't Playmates get some cut of what NECA and Super7 make off the Turtles?
Y2Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 09:03 PM   #63
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Unsure what the playmates deal is for obvious reason so the next tidbit might not apply to them but at work I talked to a guy in the industry and master licenses don't exist anymore for the most part. While a thing in the past, license holders realized that it was now more profitable for them to sell different licenses and depending on scale, type, materials etc they sell licenses.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 09:28 PM   #64
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Unsure what the playmates deal is for obvious reason so the next tidbit might not apply to them but at work I talked to a guy in the industry and master licenses don't exist anymore for the most part. While a thing in the past, license holders realized that it was now more profitable for them to sell different licenses and depending on scale, type, materials etc they sell licenses.
Yup. We are in the day and age of split licensee everywhere. That's why there are 9 million Mark 3 Iron Man toys out there from every manufacturer across the globe.
Old 05-26-2021, 12:48 AM   #65
Meow
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
Totally looks like they are trying to coast off Neca with these “similar” looking packs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by italianice388 View Post
******, re-used, inaccurate, cheap sculpts with ******, re-used, inaccurate, cheap artwork on the box, all marked up to a premium price point. seriously, **** Playmates.

i will legit be disappointed in anyone here who buys and supports this trash.
Quote:
Originally Posted by inaheap View Post
This is worrying. If playmates think they can compete in the same market as NECA and Super7 they may pull the plug on other companies doing TMNT. I do not want these over those.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
Given the way Playmates has operated, seeing them try to mimic the competition is just sad. Given how poorly they're attempt is, it's actually pretty gross.

Wonder how Neca feels about this.
I couldn't agree more after seeing the pictures. "What the hell!?" was my first thought. Cheap packaging and design but not because it's bad, because it's 50% bad and the other 50% are for copycat-reasons.

And looking at the figures and their joints makes me sick. I don't expect playmates to come up with top quality joints but being like "We need to have as much articulation and swivels and whatever as possible, no matter what it looks like or how much sense it makes" is just stupid to me. But yeah, I see we all agreed those packs are just "stupid" already anyway
Old 05-26-2021, 02:58 AM   #66
D Piddy 1982
Stone Warrior

I bought the original 'Classics' Turtles and B&R. For what they are, I actually quite like them. At least Playmates tried something new at the time.

Be interesting to see what Shredder and Triceraton they put out. If it's the unreleased Classics Shredder I will definitely get that set.

" 'Hero Turtle' craze leads to duck deaths" BBC News 2001
D Piddy 1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 05:51 AM   #67
Browne762
Foot Soldier

Has this been re-released before? A buddy sent this to me from a Australian website.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20210526-064801_Chrome.jpg (109.7 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20210526-064810_Chrome.jpg (83.9 KB, 34 views)
Browne762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 06:05 AM   #68
Spidergreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browne762 View Post
Has this been re-released before? A buddy sent this to me from a Australian website.
Yes, this is the 25th anniversary edition (2008 version).
Notice the blurb on top right

and this is the 2014? version released together with the retro tmnt line.
again, check out top right

Only 2 rereleases that I know of.
Spidergreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 06:40 AM   #69
Browne762
Foot Soldier

Thanks. I missed out on the Party Wagon so I plan to get it this time.
Browne762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 06:44 AM   #70
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Piddy 1982 View Post
I bought the original 'Classics' Turtles and B&R. For what they are, I actually quite like them. At least Playmates tried something new at the time.

Be interesting to see what Shredder and Triceraton they put out. If it's the unreleased Classics Shredder I will definitely get that set.
Yeah, I only have the Turtles themselves but they treat me just fine. Kinda don't get why they're so generally hated; by Playmates standards they're pretty good. Really good, even.

That said, they're HOW old and have been repainted/re-released HOW many times, already? We get it, Playmates, you did good once upon a time. Stop milking the cow's tits off.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 08:01 AM   #71
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Bebop and Rocksteady are indeed pretty cool sculpts but it's understandable to see why they're hated. They took too long for a second wave to come out, they weren't in the same style as the previous figures from the same line and worst of all they didn't scale at all next to the jumbo turtles. It should've been a separate line.
It was also at the time NECA started to release the convention exclusive turtles so people weren't giving Playmates a chance anymore. It's funny, had they actually done that style from the beginning or kept the original classics style with R&B perhaps we could've gotten more from that line. I remember how everyone mentioned they were the best turtles and whatever, if they had kept people excited with more releases then perhaps NECA wouldn't have gotten as much attention with their convention exclusives and even when they came out with their full retail line it would've been alright for Playmates since they would've already had the casual collectors market for a few years by then.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 09:14 AM   #72
D Piddy 1982
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Yeah, I only have the Turtles themselves but they treat me just fine. Kinda don't get why they're so generally hated; by Playmates standards they're pretty good. Really good, even.

That said, they're HOW old and have been repainted/re-released HOW many times, already? We get it, Playmates, you did good once upon a time. Stop milking the cow's tits off.
I know, right? In terms of how good they are. Whenever I happen across them when I'm going through my TMNT boxes I always think they're pretty great TMNT figures (for the time).

I know there was another thread some time ago about "what would you do if you were CEO of Playmates" and still to this day Playmates should 100% relaunch the 4" line with better articulation in the same original style - basically what SUper7 have done, but at the original 4" (if that was the scale?) size. No-one else is doing that scale and they can interact with the old figures and vehicles. Scaled down Super7 figures.

Biggest disappointment of recent TMNT figure collecting was that the NECA's didn't fit the Party Wagon!

" 'Hero Turtle' craze leads to duck deaths" BBC News 2001
D Piddy 1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 09:27 AM   #73
Ninjinister
無問題

lollllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll llllllllllllllllll
Old 05-26-2021, 10:37 AM   #74
mikey0
Foot Elite

From Genghis Frog (1989) to Casey Jones (2009 & 2013) to only the turtles being featured in the Party Wagon on the back of the package?!
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 10:42 AM   #75
IMJ
Emperor

The Playmates articulated Turtles aren't animated Turtles at all. In many ways Playmates "Super 7'd" their own toys with those releases. Look at them - they are the vintage Playmates toys simply scaled up and articulated into quality versions of themselves.

It's not that they aren't quality - in many ways they are. But they sure as hell aren't animated and they might've had their own run at shutting down the Super 7 remakes, but Playmates only committed to 6 of them. Releasing two figures as "wave 2" was a slap in the face.
Old 05-26-2021, 01:10 PM   #76
Hans Flying Turtlenecker
Thug

If the Shredder and Triceraton looks decent enough I might just get those (and probably just toss away the Don and Raph figures). I aready ahve the Turtles and Bebop and Rocksteady, and I definitely don't need doubles of those.
Hans Flying Turtlenecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 01:33 PM   #77
mikey0
Foot Elite

I wonder if this will be the only Turtle Party Wagon re-release in the 2020s.
Old 05-26-2021, 01:38 PM   #78
inaheap
Mad Scientist

I'm not usually one to down on a line just because of the company but these are going to have to be spectacular to get me to buy one. For the record, I bought the 4 turtles Bebop and Rocksteady back when they 1st came out. No NECA orSuper7 then. I prefer to support NECA and, maybe more so, Super7.

If I'm not mistaken they just shut down NECA's Godzilla line a year or two ago; so it wouldn't compete with their own. So that is still happening.

We do not stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing

When I became an adult I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.
inaheap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 02:33 PM   #79
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by inaheap View Post
For the record, I bought the 4 turtles Bebop and Rocksteady back when they 1st came out.
I did too. I was excited about 'em as well, but once it dawned on me that they were just scaled-up, articulated releases that followed the 80's Playmates art direction rather than actual animated Turtles, I was disappointed.
Old 05-26-2021, 03:00 PM   #80
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
I did too. I was excited about 'em as well, but once it dawned on me that they were just scaled-up, articulated releases that followed the 80's Playmates art direction rather than actual animated Turtles, I was disappointed.
Classic Collection Michelangelo bore a little bit of a resemblance to the Mikey from the opening to the miniseries and the syndicated series.