The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: Are you getting tired of the show
Yes 14 14.89%
No 66 70.21%
Maybe 14 14.89%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-06-2014, 07:12 PM   #61
Ninjinister
無問題

This is like the only kids' show on right now (other than Kung Fu Panda) that's not absolute horses**t. So no way.
Old 07-06-2014, 07:33 PM   #62
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill

Why watch new shows when you can stream old ones on Netflix. :V
Old 07-06-2014, 08:05 PM   #63
MCLeo28
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werecat View Post
The antagonists on those episodes just seem so silly. Vengeance is Mine is alright but the silly Karai design was anti-climatic. Her snake mutation has the threat level of a chihuahua, the design is just silly 'cause it seems like they just put breasteses on a snake and gave two extra heads and finalized it without questioning if her mutation seems intimidating. I mean come on, if she is supposed to be mutated into a mindless predator then she better look the part! They came up with Rahzar's cool design so I do not understand why they did not give karai a cool mutant design as well.
Tiger Claw is silly? He nearly killed the turtles on multiple situations.

How was Karai's mutation not intimidating? While I do respect that you don't like her design, saying she's not intimidating is a huge understatement. She literally jumped from the top of the vat of mutagen and managed to strangle Splinter in a split second. She also literally tore through the foot bots like they're nothing just by biting into the foot-bots with her extra-heads. It makes her more intimidating and gives her the upper-hand against opponents just with her lithe body alone. I think you're associating the design of a mutant with how intimidating they are which is false. Even Rahzar, one of the so-called mutants you respect is basically child's play at this point (strong edit )and is fodder for Mikey.

Even then, I can't believe Vengeance is Mine wasn't entertaining just because Mutant Karai's design was disappointing. I guess it's best to throw all character development out the window. There's a reason why "Mikey Gets Shellacne" isn't well received despite Rahzar's "intimidating" design.

Last edited by MCLeo28; 07-06-2014 at 10:13 PM.
MCLeo28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 09:34 PM   #64
CyberCubed
Overlord

- The Kraang are getting very repetitive and too same-y in appearances. They really need to be defeated and retreat to Dimension X for a while.

- Far too many mutants. When they're taking the few last humans in the show and even turning them into mutants, it says a lot. I don't know why they think they can't write a show without mutants.

Look at Mirage, 4kids, IDW, hell even the original cartoon. They did not constantly face a new mutant every story.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 11:07 PM   #65
JH24
Hench Mutant

Initially I may have said yes. But looking back at the episodes there still several of them which left a very good impression.

It mostly depends on what plot an episode is focusing on. Episodes focusing on the Foot/Shredder/Karai usually are very interesting, Kraang/mutant of the day episodes (just a personal thing) not so much. (There execeptions though like Metalhead Rewired and Newtralized)

I did loose some interest in the second half of season 2, but then we got episodes like "Wrath of Tiger Claw", "Legend of Kuro Kabuto" and "Vengeance is Mine" and I'm all on board again. This series still has the magic, but it depends on the plot and also the writer.

To be honest, I'm not always looking forward to Kraang-heavy episodes, no matter how well written because the Kraang themselves are lacking. (They're all the same, no development, stereotypical alien threat. Might have been interesting if there was some dissent between the Kraang or different factions) I rewatched Wormquake recently. Great episode and still one of my favorites, but skipping most stuff that's Kraang-related.

Maybe it's time for a change in enemy. Triceratons seem more interesting and I liked their portrayal in 2k3.

Last edited by JH24; 07-07-2014 at 01:01 AM.
JH24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 01:56 PM   #66
ABrown
Banned

Thumbs down

To say that I'm "getting tired of the show" would kind of imply that at some point I truly loved watching the show. If anything, I've actually kinda come to enjoy the show a little more with the whole Karai story line going on from "The Wrath of Tiger Claw" through "Vengeance is Mine". It's been very enjoyable. Far more interesting than the mutant-of-the-week episodes.

Edit: Why is there a thumbs down sign above this post?
ABrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 02:02 PM   #67
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

I'm tired of the quality shifts from episode to episode this season, but not the show in its entirety. I can always go back and re-watch season one and fall right back in love.

Whether I'll continue with the newer seasons remains to be seen.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 02:16 PM   #68
Luckyday
Mad Scientist

You could that season 1 was consistent in quality while season 2 has a mixture of both really good and really bad episodes in general.
We’re not unicorns!
WE’RE WOMEN AND WE TAKE WHAT WE WANT!
-Wendy Corduroy, Gravity Falls
Luckyday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 02:21 PM   #69
rickwj324
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCLeo28 View Post
Tiger Claw is silly? He nearly killed the turtles on multiple situations.

How was Karai's mutation not intimidating? While I do respect that you don't like her design, saying she's not intimidating is a huge understatement. She literally jumped from the top of the vat of mutagen and managed to strangle Splinter in a split second. She also literally tore through the foot bots like they're nothing just by biting into the foot-bots with her extra-heads. It makes her more intimidating and gives her the upper-hand against opponents just with her lithe body alone. I think you're associating the design of a mutant with how intimidating they are which is false. Even Rahzar, one of the so-called mutants you respect is basically child's play at this point (strong edit )and is fodder for Mikey.

Even then, I can't believe Vengeance is Mine wasn't entertaining just because Mutant Karai's design was disappointing. I guess it's best to throw all character development out the window. There's a reason why "Mikey Gets Shellacne" isn't well received despite Rahzar's "intimidating" design.
Don't forget the fact that she can spit venom as well.
rickwj324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 03:00 PM   #70
Metalwolf
Mad Scientist

Quote:

I'm not speaking for the person you responded to, but for me her design just looked too weird looking to allow it to be intimidating. Mainly it was the snake-head hands, it would have been better if she had clawed woman-like hands or something, that would have been more scary looking without it ultimately looking like she has three heads (which would be technically true.) I can get behind something being threatening if the design doesn't make me shake my head at how stupid it looks.

And I wouldn't be surprised if they throw out some or most of her character development. They did it with Bradford when they made him Rahzar, now he's been acts more 'mutant' then 'Bradford.' They'll probably make Karai have all of these lame snake puns, refer to herself as a snake, etc. Stuff that removes the interesting tension between their human and mutant sides (Splinter's "I might not be human, but I still have my humanity" type stuff) and makes them look like they just unequivocally accept being a mutant with no qualms whatsoever. I expect that whatever Karai was, will be dead and 'replaced' by this new kewl 'I love being a mutant' version of her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
- The Kraang are getting very repetitive and too same-y in appearances. They really need to be defeated and retreat to Dimension X for a while.
Yeah, I like them, but they've been a bit stale. I think it's long overdue for the Triceratons to show up.

Quote:
- Far too many mutants. When they're taking the few last humans in the show and even turning them into mutants, it says a lot. I don't know why they think they can't write a show without mutants.

Look at Mirage, 4kids, IDW, hell even the original cartoon. They did not constantly face a new mutant every story.
I agree. Do they even know how to make or keep a human interesting without resorting to that cheap shortcut that ends up being mutation in this show? They need to either develop the mutants they already have, or perma-kill them off/demutate them. I like mutants, but I will honestly admit I'm getting sick of them now.
Metalwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 03:34 PM   #71
MCLeo28
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalwolf View Post
I'm not speaking for the person you responded to, but for me her design just looked too weird looking to allow it to be intimidating. Mainly it was the snake-head hands, it would have been better if she had clawed woman-like hands or something, that would have been more scary looking without it ultimately looking like she has three heads (which would be technically true.) I can get behind something being threatening if the design doesn't make me shake my head at how stupid it looks.
Meh, claws wouldn't have been unique IMO. I can't even imagine a snake having claws and just having extra snake-heads makes more sense. It's even more lethal as it can bite into their opponents and increases the chance of injecting venom into its prey. It was designed to be more of a predator against Splinter instead of having an intimidating design in general and in that regard, it succeeded.

Just look at the top-left picture. It seems clear to me that Karai's mutation was meant to be more elegant and fit her style nicely. Her grace and agility makes her more of a predator and a threat against Splinter as well as others in general. Like I said before, she is literally the fastest mutant we have seen as of right now. She literally moved from the top of the vat of mutagen to Splinter and strangled him in a split second.

Quote:
And I wouldn't be surprised if they throw out some or most of her character development. They did it with Bradford when they made him Rahzar, now he's been acts more 'mutant' then 'Bradford.' They'll probably make Karai have all of these lame snake puns, refer to herself as a snake, etc. Stuff that removes the interesting tension between their human and mutant sides (Splinter's "I might not be human, but I still have my humanity" type stuff) and makes them look like they just unequivocally accept being a mutant with no qualms whatsoever. I expect that whatever Karai was, will be dead and 'replaced' by this new kewl 'I love being a mutant' version of her.
Not what I meant. It was more of a sarcastic response (My fault though since that's hard to catch on the internet) to the poster's argument. I don't understand how Karai's mutated design can detract from the overall experience of the episode esp. since there was a lot of character development revealed.

I honestly doubt Karai will be ridiculed like Rahzar and Fishface is. Most of the mutants in the show haven't even been nerfed as hard as those two have. If you want to be technical, you don't see Tiger Claw being ridiculed despite Tiger Claw literally being a Mutant Tiger in a cowboy/western outfit. I guess we'll have to wait and see though. Since Karai only retains a bit of her humanity, she would most likely love being a mutant and would reject being demutated because she doesn't really have a mind of her own anymore. It's more instinctive and she would have no clue whether to trust the Turtles or not. That just makes Splinter and Karai's relationship more disconnected.
MCLeo28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 12:34 AM   #72
Werecat
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Tiger Claw is silly?
No, Tiger Claw is not silly because tigers are such beautiful, fatal attractions. The plot around him was silly. Silly does not equal bad. Silly equals silly, self explanatory.
Quote:
How was Karai's mutation not intimidating?
Karai's mutation is not intimidating because she has a cone head, snake heads for hands, and breasts. The cone head is not scary and is mainly the most silly part. The Snake hands are unnecessary and a bit odd. The breasts on a snake is just silly, a female snake does not need breasts unless her mutation is meant for procreation purposes. Realistically, any female mutant would lose their breasts because they are not mutating for procreation purposes instead they are mutating into soldiers. Tigress and the female charr are excellent female anthromorphs that manage to show feminine aspects without resorting to no brain "Put breasts on everything" cliche . The cone head is what I dislike most! It makes her look so silly

Tigress is from Kung Fu Panda and the female charrs are from Guildwars 2, in case you did not know.
Werecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 01:06 AM   #73
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelligrafie View Post
Did you feel that some of the fears were predictable or unrealistic (Donnie's being April hating him etc.)?
To be honest, I think that the fear was legit. I think he feared losing April's friendship again and that she'll hate him based on what he is...a mutant. A "monstrocity" as both Falcor and April pointed out in the monkey ep. I felt his crush was secondary. My interpretation could be off, but at times I feel that he's the most self-conscious over being a mutant compared to the other three because he cares what April thinks of him.

Something else I found interesting was how Leo, Donnie, and Mikey had fears that developed after meeting April and getting involved with Shredder and the Kraang and makes me wonder what their fears would've been before then.

Mikey was almost killed by the Squirrelanoids. Leo worried about being a good leader wouldn't have come up prior to becoming leader I'm sure.
Quote:
And same for Squirrelanoids, I thought that was a great episode.
I liked this ep too. I also liked the Shellacne ep. I thought it was a decent Mikey eps, although, I did find it strange that they needed a Centrefuge when Donnie had one in season 1.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 02:46 AM   #74
victory_angel
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werecat View Post
Karai's mutation is not intimidating because she has a cone head, snake heads for hands, and breasts. The cone head is not scary and is mainly the most silly part. The Snake hands are unnecessary and a bit odd. The breasts on a snake is just silly, a female snake does not need breasts unless her mutation is meant for procreation purposes. Realistically, any female mutant would lose their breasts because they are not mutating for procreation purposes instead they are mutating into soldiers. Tigress and the female charr are excellent female anthromorphs that manage to show feminine aspects without resorting to no brain "Put breasts on everything" cliche . The cone head is what I dislike most! It makes her look so silly
The cone head I think was meant to resemble Karai's hair. Since her hair juts out into a point in back.

The snake hands have a weapon function because you can't focus on the three heads at once. Say you were focused on her actual head, then you'd have to lose focus on it to avoid a lunge by one hand. On top of this Kobra Karai can spit venom, so the hands are another means of poisoning someone. So in other words she can kill you just by grabbing you. True the same could have been done with poisonous claws.

As for the having breasts. Yes there are anthro characters that can be feminine without resorting to female body parts. But with TMNT it's necessary to indicate the character is female. Most mutants in TMNT are guys and female mutants are few and far between. The only female mutants to date Mona Lisa, Venus, Quarry, Alopex, Mezcaal and Koya. I'm not counting Ninjara because she is a famale non-human, not a female mutant.

Mona Liza and Mezcaal are of course well endowed chestwise. And FYI Mona Lisa was originally supposed to be a female Turtle, but both Eastman and Laird didn't like the idea. I don't think I need to go into Venus's plastron bon-bons

Alopex yes she can carry the female traits with out resorting to having Fox tits. But even then there are moments you do see she has em.

The last time there was an Androgynous Mutant on a TV series there was quarry. Every time we see her it suggests guy, the deep voice, the body structure, but then when Quarry turns into a human the Turtles are given the awkward surprise of learning he's really a she.

And I know Koya is supposed to be female, but who here hasn't honestly mistaken her for a him at first sight.

So by and large, maybe having Sakarai having boobs is silly. But being one of the first female mutant's (Anthormorphicly female) we've seen in this particular series it is needed at a way of identifying that she isn't just another male mutant.
Old 07-08-2014, 07:01 AM   #75
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

I think we are getting a little off topic with the whole female mutation thing.

Anyway, when it comes to TMNT, I could never get bored of it. Sure there's still a few problems I have with it but for the most part, the good outweighs the bad for me. I think the only way for me to get bored with this show is if it goes on for too long like say, Spongebob. I'd eventually want a new TMNT cartoon in the future because the fun of this franchise like every other comic book series is to see different takes on it. But for now, this show is no where near in danger of losing me. If anything, I just want to see the last four episodes of season two and await to see how season three will turn out.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 08:14 AM   #76
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeotheLateBloomer View Post
I think we are getting a little off topic with the whole female mutation thing.
Yeah it's probably best to steer away from it before this becomes one of /co/'s TMNT thread.
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 08:34 AM   #77
The Fifth Turtle
Mad Scientist

Quote:
The only thing I hope they do is tone down the mutants in Season 3. I hope this was only a Season 2 thing.

The other aspects is less Kraang and more scenarios outside of NYC but there's CG budget to contend with.
I think that the amount of mutants has to deal with the abundance of ooze canisters floating around the city....I could be wrong though.
The Fifth Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 09:10 AM   #78
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Mutants is what tmnt is all about and in the end you have to sell toys. Even when the 80s show stopped adding new ones, playmates kept cranking em out.

In fact I wonder how the final seasons were made without playmates pressuring then into throwing Walkabout and Half Court in there.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 09:14 AM   #79
Coola Yagami
Overlord

As for my thought on the show... I kinds lose interest in the kraang episodes. I only care about shredder related episodes and any filler or extra ep that brings back a familiar character. Anyone else makes me roll my eyes and hope the following week will be about the foot again.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 02:54 PM   #80
CyberCubed
Overlord

I'm hoping the Kraang are defeated in the Season 2 finale episodes and they retreat to Dimension X.

We'll probably still see them in Season 3, but if they all pull out of Earth and are only in the Dimension X episodes it'll be better.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
foot clan, kraang, nickelodeon