The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion > Platinum Dunes TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 12-20-2014, 05:47 PM   #1
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Comicbookmovie interviews Pete Ploszek, Jeremy Howard, & Noel Fisher about TMNT.

Comicbookmovie.com managed to get an interview with 3 of the TMNT actors about the movie.
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansit...news/?a=112662
Quote:
Rohan (CBM): Hey guys, hope you're all doing well. It's great to speak with you. Just wanted to start off by saying congratulations on the success of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, opened in a tough spot, the weekend after Guardians of the Galaxy, but managed to really carve its own path and hold its own.

All 3: Thank you. Appreciate it.

Rohan (CBM): Yeah, no problem, it was a fun time. Personally, I really enjoyed the chemistry between the four of you turtles. You guys were all great and really came across like brothers. Could you take me through the process of how you built that chemistry? Was it difficult to build a rapport, to form that sort of camraderie? Or did you all just click from the get go?

Noel: We all really hate each other.

*Everyone laughs*

Pete: I think sort of the beauty of the process in coming together was that in casting they tried out a number of combinations, a sort of round robin set up, that they would use to sort of mix and match and swap in and out actors till they found camaraderie and kind of found that brotherhood, so really by the end of that audtion process, we felt like we were really clicking, and firing on all cylinders and so once we were cast, it really happened fast, we were really hitting the ground running at that point and so taking that to set was pretty seamless.

Rohan (CBM): You guys have starred in a variety of different things, primarily comedies from Pete's work on Parks & Recreation to Jeremy's work on Accepted & Scrubs to Noel's work on Shameless & Final Destination 2. Was it a difficult transition from these smaller comedies to such a huge film like TMNT?

Jeremy: Yeah, I think, and to go back to answer your first question as well, along with the transitional aspect of things, anytime your doing a giant big-budget movie like this, it’s different than anything small that you’re doing. On a film like Accepted or a show like Parks & Rec that Pete was on, a show like Shameless that Noel does, I work on a show called Mighty Med during the year most of the time and it’s very different. Everything takes a lot longer, you’re waiting around a lot more, the scope of what you’re doing, there are so many more people that care about a movie like Turtles than some of these smaller projects that we’re on and you definitely feel that weight, you feel pretty responsible to get it right and I think the filmmakers certainly felt that, but we as actors felt that as well.

I think coming into this film, it was the first day of rolling, all four of us really had a great camaraderie already, because we got together and had gotten to know each other, and were already able to pal and kid around like crazy. By the time they called action, we were really brothers, after that it only grew stronger, as time went on and through the whole process of the film coming out, we all were with each other, spent more time together and hopefully the sequel, we’re able to tell more stories with that bond that we all have and I think it really shows on screen like you said. We’re pretty proud of that.

Noel: I think the biggest change for me, the biggest difference between, well there’s a billion differences between doing a TV show like Shameless or any of the other things Jeremy mentioned versus something like Ninja Turtles, but the biggest thing that pops out to me more so than the vibe or the comedy kind of element, which I feel the brothers all had, and we all had together as actors and as friends. That all happened kind of naturally.

The biggest single difference I can think of is the learning curve that was involved with just learning to shoot with this technology and the whole motion capture experience. That was the biggest difference for me cause that takes a little getting used to. Laugh. That was one of the greatest parts too cause it was kind of trial by fire for all of us. We all either figured it out together or we all crashed and burned. And there’s too much pressure to get this right. That really just helped bond the four of us more, we were just leaning on each other to crack this technology, just to figure it out.

Rohan (CBM): Nice. So, of course this is a big budget action film and with that comes the need for some impressive action sequences. Your film certainly didn't disappoint in that department as there were more than a few impressive fight sequences including the snow chase scene, the fights with Shredder, etc. Was there anything from the script that you guys were looking forward to shooting or actually did shoot, but for whatever reason didn't actually make the final cut?

Jeremy: I say, some of the most exciting things that the incredible stunt team came up with, obviously there’s a lot of great action in the film, but there’s some sequences that we rehearsed, and they had choreographed stuff done, scenes that they shot even and it didn’t make it into the movie, these stunt guys were incredible, and I was certainly disappointed that a lot of their amazing work did not end up on screen, but certainly a lot of it did, which is awesome, but as far as that goes, there was quite a bit that they did that the public will never end up seeing sadly, but again there’s room for more stories in the coming years hopefully.

Noel: Yeah, I think that’s one of things I’m really looking forward to in the sequels hopefully is just the opportunity to get to work with 8711 again. That was the stunt crew that did this movie and they really are the best. Pete was talking about being able to lean on each other and that’s kind of another unique aspect of motion capture is that you’re leaning on people, like those guys to do their thing and they’re basically real-life ninjas and cause you really want to be able to bring that element to the turtles cause that’s such a huge part of who they are and man, those guys brought it in spades. A lot of the stuff did end up on the cutting room floor, as I think with most movies that happens, but yeah I mean you know that would be a whole other thing to be able to watch just all the stuff that they’re able to come up with on the spot. They’re absolutely incredible.
Old 12-20-2014, 05:51 PM   #2
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Here's the rest
Quote:
Rohan (CBM): Yeah, I was able to check out a few of the special features, the stunt crew looked amazing. So, how good did you guys actually get with your respective weapons? Leo's katanas, Mikey's nunchucks, Donny's bö staff, and Raph's sais?

Pete: We spent a month working with 8711 and essentially having private individual training sessions with each of our weapons and learning them. You really get a feel for it and I think what’s most important for us as actors because 8711 was going to be handling the bulk of the fight sequences, what was important for me was learning mannerisms, learning postures, you know how do you handle katanas, how do you holster katanas, how do you strike a stance or open a fight, how do you close a fight, those sorts of things and they were great with that and so much of the training with katanas, it forms Leo as the most disciplined of the group, as the rule follower, even in his own fighting style, so that was really exciting to see. I wouldn’t trust myself with real live ones now, but I got a head start, I’d like to think.

Noel: Dude, I go out all the time on the town and I just get in fights with my nunchucks.

Pete: I believe it. I tell you man, Mikey.. Noel got pretty damn good if I’m not mistaken. *Laughs*

Noel: I’ll fight you Pete! I’ll fight you! Let’s meet up somewhere and I will fight you for real!

Pete: Oh no! *Laughs*

Jeremy: Speaking of fighting, we all, the three of us found it funny that Alan Ritchson thought, that in a battle of all of our weapons, that he would win with his twin sais.

Pete: *Laughs* There’s no way, we beat that one back pretty quickly.

Rohan (CBM): When you were cast, did you find that you were similar to your respective character or did you find that you were considerably different?

Noel: I think that we all have aspects that we get to bring out of our own personalities that are really similar. The first thing that pops out to me is that Jeremy is like incredibly smart.

Pete: Genius, a damn genius.

Noel: He’s basically a genius, so those aspects of each other, of these characters really kind of gets to filter out into and gets brought out a lot in the characters. You can give a big shoutout to the casting director Debbie Zane, who did a really good job of finding people that could really bring out those very individual, very unique kind of flavors that all the turtles have.

Jeremy: Yeah, I agree. I think Noel’s a very much a fun-loving guy and obviously when you’re playing a character, characters like these, specifically in his circumstance, he’s taking that to the next level. I mean Noel’s a joker, but he’s not Michelangelo-level, no one is. *Noel laughs* Same way as Donatello is a million times smarter than me, I didn’t know any of that computer technical jargon, but I’m great with an iPhone, you know, *Laughs* but you know everything, the faces, the building blocks are all there.

I think certainly Pete really brings that strong leadership quality in his life, you get a great sense that he has a lot self-respect, he’s great at making decisions, same with Alan, Alan can be a little bit hot, hot-headed, not badly, but just in terms of, you know he’ll put his foot down if he feels strongly about something, the same with Raphael would. But at the same time, all four of us have a great sense of humor and I think all of that kind of comes together and then we kind of push those aspects to the 100-fold to bring these characters to life and really bring out their uniqueness, but they come from a really real place.

Noel: Pete is super, super.. *Phone breaks up*

Pete: Oh, what’s that Noel? You broke up, can you repeat that buddy? *Laughs*

I think that dynamic really came together in the elevator scene and I think because that was born out of all of the play and all of the nonsense that we were getting into on-set, off-camera to kill downtime and I watch that and I think about just how lucky we are, for Pablo (Helman) to have captured all that and for Liebesman to allow that to get in the movie, because that just came out of us being us around each other and then you step back and look at it and you realize that we’re a lot closer to these characters than we ever thought we were.

*Final Question Warning*

Rohan (CBM): Well, I guess we can just move on to talk of the sequel. We've heard a few rumors so far from Earth to Echo director Dave Green possibly directing to possible appearances from Casey Jones, Bebop & Rocksteady, Krang, etc. What can you guys think of all this and is there anything about the sequel that you already know and can share?

Jeremy: Are you sure you don’t want to ask another question for your last question? Cause I’ll tell you something, we know absolutely zero.

*Everyone laughs*

Pete: We know nothing!

Jeremy: Literally we haven’t even gotten a phone call, we’re reading online all the stuff you are.

Rohan (CBM): Oh okay, well then, let's finish on this, are there any current superhero roles out there that interest you? Marvel? DC? Power Rangers?

Pete: Man..

Noel: I’m a big nerd when it comes to all that stuff. Pretty much any superhero, I love the superhero kind of vibe.. or supervillain! Maybe a supervillain! Jeremy, you need to play a supervillain for sure. You could be dynamite.

*Jeremy laughs*

Noel: Marvel, Marvel you listening? Jeremy Howard.

Pete: I do love all the mash-ups that we’re starting to see. And all the generations of comic book characters coming and clashing and overlapping. I just saw that there’s a Turtles comic book series out with the Ghostbusters now

*Noel laughs*

Jeremy: Whaatt!

Pete: Yeah I’m serious, nothing’s off-limits anymore, I think that’s pretty exciting. I think people are going to be able to do a lot with that, with that sort of stuff.

Noel: Okay, so you’re saying like a Ninja Turtle-Hello Kitty crossover?

*Jeremy laughs*

Pete: *Laughs* Easy, easy Noel, easy.

Jeremy: I love all of them too, I’m with Noel, Marvel, DC, I see all those films, I love them.

Rohan (CBM): But, if you had to pick one hero

Jeremy: I would make a great Superman, if the offer came in, I would say yes to playing Batman. Let’s just throw that out there. I think that answers your question, right? *Laughs*

Pete: I love the stuff they’re doing with all the teams, with the Suicide Squad and the Sinister Six. I think that’s exciting stuff.

Jeremy: Yeah, that’s awesome. It’s pretty cool, all the Avengers stuff, it’s crazy they’re able to do that and obviously they feel like they have the budgets for all that cause the movies are so freaking successful. Cause obviously that takes a lot to bring those big stars together and all the effects work alone.

Rohan (CBM): Yeah, feels like everyone wants to build something after all of Marvel's success, Spider-Man's working on stuff, the X-Men, etc.

Noel: Yeah, think I just read something about the Fantastic Four and the X-Men now, teaming up, spin-off

Jeremy: Wowww. Wow.

Pete: I think there should just be a WWE royal rumble where it’s just two hours of them fighting and there can only be one that lives.

*Everyone laughs*

Jeremy: And that’s going to be starring the three of us, so for the record, we’re already involved in that project

Noel: We’ll be playing all of the characters

Rohan (CBM): Sounds good to me.

Pete: None of its motion capture though.

*Big laugh from all 3*

Rohan (CBM): Well, thank you everyone, it's been a real pleasure. Hope you guys have a great holiday! Looking forward to the sequel.

All 3: Thanks Rohan! Have a good one.
Old 12-20-2014, 05:53 PM   #3
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

It's a nice interview.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 06:14 PM   #4
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Great interview, definitely the people I like hearing more about/from, since others have gotten more attention for playing the human star or for their film making style. However many movies this thing ends up with, for better or worse, hope they are at least able stick with this foursome playing the guys.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 06:17 PM   #5
Gunpowder
Stone Warrior

Awesome. Very well-spoken group of guys, always good to hear from them.

Too bad Alan couldn't make it...I thought he was the best out of the four.
Old 12-20-2014, 06:35 PM   #6
B-Man
Hench Mutant

These are the guys I wanted to hear more from during the publicity tour, not Fox & Arnett saying the same thing over & over. They're obviously really good dudes. Them not hearing anything about the new movie worries me, though. Hope they're brought back.

"They were many. But we kicked... We fought well."
B-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 07:50 PM   #7
Shark_Blade
Emperor

I love them as much as I love pizza.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 08:09 PM   #8
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Blade View Post
I love them as much as I love pizza.
Old 12-20-2014, 09:31 PM   #9
samxsteal
Kitchen Ninja

Location: I currently live in Cape may NJ im from Hillsboro Oregon
these guys are they the main reason why i loved this movie so much they are perfect

love you mom...
Quote:
"I aint gonna waste time bitching about the changes I don't like, I simply don't buy the comic anymore because its made for a new generation of fans, not old people like me. I have my originals and can move on, it aint [frick]ing rape, its evolution."
--- @Ceejay
samxsteal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 10:56 AM   #10
Purse Grabbin Puke
Stone Warrior

I kind of skimmed through it, but it doesn't look like they addressed Pete's voice not being used? I get the feeling he was signed as mo-cap only, they probably knew they were getting a big name for the voice from the beginning. I got the Bluray, and he is in it a fair amount, I have to say, his voice was good for maybe a cartoon Leo, but I think he wouldn't have stood out in the movie. Who knows though.
Old 12-22-2014, 11:18 AM   #11
Powder
So tired of this place

Considering there are bits of footage that exist with his voice in place, I'd say you're wrong.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 11:22 AM   #12
TrickOrTreater
Samhain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Considering there are bits of footage that exist with his voice in place, I'd say you're wrong.
Seriously. It was a panic move that was sprung on the actors last minute.

Look at Danny Woodburn's reaction to it for proof of this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Some men use knives and guns, but TrickOrTreater is a more dangerous villain. He. Uses. The. TRUTH.
TrickOrTreater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 11:23 AM   #13
Purse Grabbin Puke
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Where are these bits of footage?
Old 12-22-2014, 11:46 AM   #14
samxsteal
Kitchen Ninja

Location: I currently live in Cape may NJ im from Hillsboro Oregon
I love these guys so much I can't wait to see them in the sequel lol they were great

love you mom...
Quote:
"I aint gonna waste time bitching about the changes I don't like, I simply don't buy the comic anymore because its made for a new generation of fans, not old people like me. I have my originals and can move on, it aint [frick]ing rape, its evolution."
--- @Ceejay
samxsteal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 05:40 PM   #15
DevilSpooky
Stone Warrior

Quote:
It's not unheard of the actors delivering their lines on set and being dubbed over during post production, for example Peter Mayhew (Chewbacca from Star Wars) had spoken lines in english during filming and where later replaced by growls and grunts. The same with David Prowse being replaced with James Earl Jones as Darth Vader. They do it as a guiding line for the other actors.
Old 12-22-2014, 05:54 PM   #16
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilSpooky View Post
It's not unheard of the actors delivering their lines on set and being dubbed over during post production, for example Peter Mayhew (Chewbacca from Star Wars) had spoken lines in english during filming and where later replaced by growls and grunts. The same with David Prowse being replaced with James Earl Jones as Darth Vader. They do it as a guiding line for the other actors.
They even replaces the voices of the one of the actors in Empire Strikes Back and in The Phantom Menace, Darth Maul's voice was replaced as well.
Old 12-22-2014, 05:54 PM   #17
The Boston Ninja Turtle
Mad Scientist

Prowse didnt know till he watched the movie though

its could be legal reasons no one has really heard Pete as Leo

https://www.facebook.com/TheBostonNinjaTurtle
The Boston Ninja Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 06:01 PM   #18
TrickOrTreater
Samhain

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilSpooky View Post
The issue isn't whether voices are replaced or not. They clearly are.

The issue is some people claiming it was the plan all along.

When, based on Danny Woodburn's reaction to the news of Tony Shalhoub voicing Splinter instead of Danny himself(which he was clearly led to believe), in actuality it wasn't planned at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Some men use knives and guns, but TrickOrTreater is a more dangerous villain. He. Uses. The. TRUTH.
TrickOrTreater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 06:17 PM   #19
Leo656
The Franchise

((^^^ All the straws people have grasped at and dropped this year in trying to explain/defend things about the movie that have already been proven/disproven at various points by the filmmakers themselves))
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's neat these guys are so into their work and have so much enthusiasm. That's refreshing when so many actors are all, "It's a role, it's a job, I got paid." I have no problem with them, but all their hard work and enthusiasm deserves to be in a better movie. It's like they put a lot of effort in and not all of it comes through in the final product, since they're not the main characters in their own movie.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 06:36 PM   #20
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Yeah I thought it was already known months ago that is was supposedly in their contracts (or something...) that they were not guaranteed not to be dubbed over. But not planned that it would necessarily happen. Either way Pete did some fine physical acting, and fingers crossed maybe he'll verbally get his chance.

I mean from that interview it sounds like casting put a lot of thought and effort into finding just the right group who really fit together as actors and as the Turtles. They also clearly chose well for good voices/voice acting if the other three were kept. Possible Pete may have been a good fit as well, but a big name was able to be grabbed... Who ever was in charge of casting these guys is another person who did well for the film. (Minus the 11th hour Knoxville choice, but somehow I have a feeling it may not have been the same person doing that choosing. Careful casting vs thoughtless celebrity name inclusion. )

Tags
comicbookmovie, tmnt