The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Books, Comics, and Other Literature

Notices

Old 10-16-2016, 05:48 AM   #161
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Perhaps, especially when today's September sales estimate seem to hint the likes of Doom Patrol have soundly thrashed ASM in sales as well

Hip-Hop variant

ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 11:40 AM   #162
WebLurker
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
Perhaps, especially when today's September sales estimate seem to hint the likes of Doom Patrol have soundly thrashed ASM in sales as well
Any news on how "Clone Conspiracy" is doing? I haven't been able to get a sense of what the general opinion is of its existence and I'm really curious about how it'll be received, esp. in comparison to RYV.

Quote:
I don't like this one very much. Right now, if I was going to get a variant cover that was not tied to a specific store or region, I'd either go with the Kubert one or the action figure one.
Old 10-16-2016, 02:24 PM   #163
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
Any news on how "Clone Conspiracy" is doing? I haven't been able to get a sense of what the general opinion is of its existence and I'm really curious about how it'll be received, esp. in comparison to RYV.
It made number 9 this week, but was outsold by Action Comics and Wonder Woman. It should be noted that Diana wasn't even in her own title this week and Action Comics focused pretty much entirely on Lois Lane

New variant

Spoiler:

Last edited by ZariusTwo; 10-16-2016 at 03:00 PM.
Old 10-16-2016, 03:46 PM   #164
WebLurker
Hench Mutant

Quote:
It made number 9 this week, but was outsold by Action Comics and Wonder Woman. It should be noted that Diana wasn't even in her own title this week and Action Comics focused pretty much entirely on Lois Lane
Hmm. Well, not exactly the event of the year, but being in the top ten is hardly anything to sneeze at. It'll be interesting to see if it stays in the upper range or not; a few consistent complaints I've heard are that "Clone Conspiracy" is pretty much a remix and rehash of every other clone story written. Wonder if that'll hold true to the end or not?

Quote:
Really don't like that cover.

Is it normal for a comic book to get this many variant covers?
Old 10-17-2016, 03:40 AM   #165
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
Hmm. Well, not exactly the event of the year, but being in the top ten is hardly anything to sneeze at. It'll be interesting to see if it stays in the upper range or not; a few consistent complaints I've heard are that "Clone Conspiracy" is pretty much a remix and rehash of every other clone story written. Wonder if that'll hold true to the end or not?
Well Slott's been insisting we not think of it as a Clone Saga (even if the marketing has clones all over that) and even has characters in-story insist that the revived characters are "reanimates" and not clones as they have all the memories of the original up until death.

I generally just see this story as Slott fulfilling his dream of having every one of Peter's loved ones turn on him viciously, as was hinted already in the Gwen Stacy back-up story in the first issue of Clone Conspiracy.

Quote:
Really don't like that cover.
What DO you like? You sound like you're extremely hard to please when it comes to covers.

Quote:
Is it normal for a comic book to get this many variant covers?
Yes. You should have seen the number of variants they had for the post-superior relaunch (which coincided with the release of the ASM II movie)
Old 10-17-2016, 07:50 AM   #166
WebLurker
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Well Slott's been insisting we not think of it as a Clone Saga (even if the marketing has clones all over that) and even has characters in-story insist that the revived characters are "reanimates" and not clones as they have all the memories of the original up until death.
So, why call it a clone story and have the characters using cloning tech, if they're not "really" clones? I've never understood this point. It seems like Slott hasn't thought out the story that well (unless there's some surprise later down the road).

Quote:
I generally just see this story as Slott fulfilling his dream of having every one of Peter's loved ones turn on him viciously, as was hinted already in the Gwen Stacy back-up story in the first issue of Clone Conspiracy.
If that is indeed the case, he must have different story dreams that me in regards to this franchise.

Quote:
What DO you like? You sound like you're extremely hard to please when it comes to covers.
I liked the default cover for RYV #1 well enough. The Kubert and action figure versions were good, too (as I mentioned before). Really liked the exclusive with Peter and MJ hugging with the villains in the background (really annoyed that one is online only). The only ones I don't like (that I remember right now) are the hip-hop version and the one with Venom. (I also like the covers for issues two and three).

I wouldn't consider myself hard to please, it just so happens in this case that I liked more of the variant covers for the original RYV miniseries than the variants this time around.

Quote:
Yes. You should have seen the number of variants they had for the post-superior relaunch (which coincided with the release of the ASM II movie)
I must've missed that. I did hear that Marvel's new Star Wars #1 got almost a hundred cover variants, which I gathered is considered excessive.
Old 10-18-2016, 08:16 AM   #167
TonySiegel
Stone Warrior

Quote:

Hip-Hop variant

http://66.media.tumblr.com/b9387084c...cnfo1_1280.jpg
Mannnnn thats dope!

"...Color or creed, is no need for a man to bleed/ I believe, we all breathe the same seed/ Unless it's diluted, for somethin to intrude it..." - Kool G. Rap
TonySiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 11:58 AM   #168
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Full Marvel solits

http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stori.../marveljan.htm

According to the info for Issue Three, it seems Annie will have to save her parents on a school night!

MJ vs T-Rex

Last edited by ZariusTwo; 10-18-2016 at 01:10 PM.
Old 10-20-2016, 11:58 AM   #169
ZariusTwo
Overlord

So RYV is doing pretty well in the reorder charts, topping reorders for Clone Conspiracy and second only to Bendis' relaunch of Iron Man with Riri Williams in the role

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/10/...eorders-chart/
Old 10-20-2016, 12:09 PM   #170
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Why is Tony taking a break from Ironman anyway? JamesRhods is a standby Ironman so its no need for the teenager.

I do hope it can be a consistent top ten showing up creative as to how people want Spider-Man.
Old 10-20-2016, 12:39 PM   #171
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
Why is Tony taking a break from Ironman anyway? JamesRhods is a standby Ironman so its no need for the teenager.
Rhodes was killed at the beginning of Civil War II
Old 10-20-2016, 02:10 PM   #172
WebLurker
Hench Mutant

Quote:
So RYV is doing pretty well in the reorder charts, topping reorders for Clone Conspiracy and second only to Bendis' relaunch of Iron Man with Riri Williams in the role

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/10/...eorders-chart/
Nice to see. Hope there'll be some copies on the shelf when I get a chance to go to the store.
Old 10-21-2016, 01:08 PM   #173
ZariusTwo
Overlord

According to this video, RYV takes place on Earth 18119
Old 10-22-2016, 04:40 AM   #174
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Couple of J.Scott Campbell variants for RYV

Old 10-27-2016, 06:21 PM   #175
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Apparently Venom's identity will be a mystery for a while. It is strange to have a series focus on a character,but the readers don't know who they are reading about.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/10/...g-comic-series
Old 10-28-2016, 03:19 AM   #176
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
Apparently Venom's identity will be a mystery for a while. It is strange to have a series focus on a character,but the readers don't know who they are reading about.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/10/...g-comic-series
What does this have to do with RYV? Yeah, there's a connection between RYV and 616 but this isn't a "Spider-Man General" thread
Old 10-28-2016, 07:24 AM   #177
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
What does this have to do with RYV? Yeah, there's a connection between RYV and 616 but this isn't a "Spider-Man General" thread
I was wondering if its the Venom we saw in RYV crossing over into Earth-616.
Old 10-28-2016, 11:48 AM   #178
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Stegman's comments in some of this are very interesting, it's clear he's trying not to spoil certain details but the line about this being a pocket universe and what he says about this being "Real Spider-Man" could be interpreted as slips
Old 10-30-2016, 11:52 PM   #179
WebLurker
Hench Mutant

Unless he's just generally referring to the idea that the comic is its own thing and trying to tell stories that are authentic to the Spider-Man mythos.
Old 10-31-2016, 04:14 AM   #180
ZariusTwo
Overlord

I can always count on you to be the realist

Marvel are reprinting Kraven's Last Hunt next year as part of their Essentials line, Amazon lists it as coming out a few weeks before Spider-Man: Homecoming, and they're going to bundle it with ASM Annuals 20 and 21, which means they're reprinting Peter and MJ's wedding again. Hmm....

Also, it's Halloween, which means it's been twenty years real time since the death of Ben Reily, Norman Osborn's return, and, depending on your interpretation, the miscarriage/abduction of Mayday Parker

Tags
spider-man, spider-marriage returns