The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 08-06-2022, 06:11 PM   #1
NeonTurtledude
Hench Mutant

connections to TMNT that you've found through other shows

is tmnt connected to other series you enjoy?

I can think of some connections that tmnt has with sonic or sailor moon

Sonic:
both are series about anthropomorphic animals
both have had comics by Fleetway, Archie and IDW
(there's also tmnt cameos in some scenes)
both had cartoons on 4kids in the 2000s
both have themes of action, sci-fi and comedy
both involve evil scientists and social commentary
both are icons of pop culture
they have some of the same voice actors
(Jason Griffith voicing Mirage Leonardo in Turtles Forever, Roger Craig Smith voicing Mutagen Man in the 2012 series, Ben Schwartz as Rise Leo, Rob Paulsen being Antoine in satam)

Sailor Moon:
similar character roles (Rei is Raphael,Amy is Donatello etc)
they both have an animal mentor (the Senshi have their cats and the turtles have splinter)
Evil Professor villains (Professor Tomoe and Baxter Stockman)
Toei animating Sailor Moon and season 1 of the Fred wolf cartoon
source material has darker themes and storylines

what connections have you found with tmnt and other series?
this can be anything from the series having similar storylines,animatiors,characters or just having the tmnt crossover with the other series (like batman for example)
NeonTurtledude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 06:21 PM   #2
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Tmnt and Kung Fu Panda both have talking animals skileld in Martial Arts.

Splinter is very similar to Shifu, wise mentors to the main character with both having alot of rodent like qualities.

Both franchises also have a major turtle/tortoise character (the 4 turtles for tmnt, Master Oogway for Kung Fu Panda)

Both franchises had long running CGI shows on Nickelodeon.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 06:30 PM   #3
neatoman
Emperor

I might as well get the intentional ones out of the way first:
  • The Truck incident, The Foot Clan and Splinter are all direct references to Daredevil.
  • Nobody is clearly meant to be Batman, as is Wingnut.
  • The Justice Force is straight up the Justice League with some inspiration from the Avengers. Silver Sentry, Tsunami and Green Mantle are clearly based on Superman, Aquaman and Green Lantern.
Not really gonna go into too much details in regards to the 2012 show, seeing as how that one was basically just built on being referential.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 12:41 AM   #4
shredder orokusaki
Mad Scientist

Sonic is alien not mutant like the turtles. Yres Eggman and Stockman are mad scientists but Stockman is much better than him. Sonic fights alisesn and Eggman not ninjas like me and the turtles.
Old 08-08-2022, 03:27 PM   #5
Icebot
Foot Elite

I see a connection with Hey Arnold. Tony Jay who voiced lord Dregg voiced several Hey Arnold characters. In fact, in the episode Stinky’s Pumpkin, when Stinky had that dream and was hearing a voice, when I first heard that voice, I was 90% sure it was Dregg because he sounded exactly like him. Of course it wasn’t him but it’s really easy to believe it is.

I know of some characters similar to Splinter when it comes to lessons Splinter offers: Iroh from Avatar The Last Airbender, Tito from Rocket Power (Ancient Hawaiians).
Icebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 07:23 AM   #6
NeonTurtledude
Hench Mutant

Since starting this thread, I have found a lot more Sailor Moon similarities/connections.

.their early adaptations were a lot more light-hearted, revolving around monster of the week scenarios with some slice-of-life elements

.they both have an ally/love interest (Usagi has tuxedo mask and the turtles have April) (although it depends on the iteration)

.Mamoru didn't get along with Usagi at first and in season 1 of the Fred wolf series, April didn't get along with the turtles, thinking they were behind the foot clan's actions and she was furious when they wrecked her apartment (although the mousers were already making work of that)

.Reincarnation (in the tmnt media, where they are reincarnations, that's similar to how in Sailor Moon, each sailor scout was once a princess during the silver millennium (the moon kingdom's reign before Beryl invaded)

.variety of outfits (the Sailor Moon girls always wear a stylish outfit in each episode whether, in civilian or sailor scout form, the turtles are similar when it comes to their disguises, mostly in the Fred wolf series, but the 2003 series and rise have their moments for disguise outfits and battle upgrade outfits)

.They are both pop culture icons, especially for the decades their early animated adaptations were made in

.Both have stage shows, Sailor Moon has a ton of musicals while the Turtles had their concerts and musical VHS releases

.both had PSA's in their early animated adaptations

. In the 90s TMNT ova, there are mystical fairies and power-ups (via magical crystals) similar to Sailor Moon's silver crystal

.Dark Mu from the 90s TMNT ova is similar to Beryl and mistress 9 in powers and she looks like Rei in appearance

.in the Fred wolf series, Shredder would mostly attack the turtles externally, through schemes, machines or working with other henchmen like Krang, Bebop, Rocksteady and Baxter Stockman

the Sailor Moon villains attack the Senshi in a similar way before they eventually face them

.Despite their popularity, both were very controversial shows, especially in the UK

TMNT had parent complaints, nunchucks getting removed and UK censorship.

Sailor Stars wasn't dubbed in the 90s and Sailor Moon S and Super S were never aired in the UK

.They both had teenage characters

.Both had short-lived live action tv adaptations

Ninja Turtles: The Next Mutation (1997)
and Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon (PGSM) (2003)

.Naru/Molly is similar to Irma

.Leonardo and Splinter can often sense telepathically when danger is near, Rei from Sailor Moon has a similar ability.

.the characters in Sailor Moon and TMNT have both met or worked with people from future timelines

.In episode 136, Usagi dresses up as a ninja, in an outfit that references how her name means bunny rabbit, TMNT also has their Usagi character, the Japanese samurai rabbit, Usagi Yojimbo/Miyamoto.

Rei bickers with and taunts Usagi a lot (in the 90s anime )

Raphael in TMNT is known for doing this to Michelangelo

despite this, they are still loyal and loving to each other

Rei and Raphael are the tough angry ones and Usagi and Mikey are the playful ones.

they both aired on the USA cartoon express and Cartoon Network channels (Fred wolf TMNT for USA cartoon express and 2003 TMNT for Cartoon Network)

the sailor Senshi (especially Usagi and Minako) enjoy video games, and the turtles do too

there's a member of each team who is clumsy and silly (and mocked for it) while also being capable strong fighters

in Sailor Moon, it's Usagi
and in TMNT, it's Michelangelo (especially in the 2003 and 2012 iterations)

Usagi and Michelangelo both really love food

The Sailor Senshi and the turtles often fight either in the afternoon or at night

the senshi because they have school and their civilian life

and the turtles so they don't get seen by humans, if it's during the day, (in the old and 2003 series) they wear disguises

both have younger team members from the future (who are related to them in some way) and train to be part of their team

The sailor senshi have Chibiusa and Chibi chibi
in the fast-forward season, there's Cody Jones and Casey Jones II in the Rise movie

they both have episodes/scenes where the characters switch ages

Sailor Moon Act 39 Dream 1 of the manga dream arc, episode 158 of the 90s anime and Sailor Moon Eternal

Adventures in Turtle Sitting and Back to the Egg from the Fred wolf series

alcohol references:

there's an episode of the 90s Sailor Moon anime where Usagi got accidentally drunk, in the dic dub it was implied that she just drank too much "juice"

In the Mirage comics, the turtles drink beer, including Raphael when they visit an Alien bar
Old 08-13-2022, 01:52 PM   #7
Antoniocafe
Thug

Ever seen the show Samurai Pizza Cats

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samurai_Pizza_Cats
Antoniocafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 08:33 AM   #8
NeonTurtledude
Hench Mutant

a pal told me about Daphnie in the 13 ghosts Scooby Doo series and her jumpsuit looks a bit like the one Mirage April wears (the blue purplish one)
Old 10-07-2022, 11:01 AM   #9
RetroReminiscence
Random Punk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antoniocafe View Post
Ever seen the show Samurai Pizza Cats

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samurai_Pizza_Cats
I remember seeing articles about this back in the day, but I never seen it.
RetroReminiscence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 07:50 PM   #10
Prowler
Emperor

Agree with you about Sailor Moon.

Ami is like Donatello and Rei is definitely the Raphael of the series. And her personality in the 90s series is even pretty different from her original/manga personality. Plus, the 90s series is much more episodic and comedic than the source material... kinda like FW and Mirage.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote