The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 08-24-2019, 01:27 PM   #1
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Disney's Raya and the Last Dragon (November 25th 2020)

Quote:
At Saturday’s Walt Disney Studios panel at the D23 Expo, reps from Disney Animation announced that the company’s next animated film will be Raya and the Last Dragon, an original movie.

Raya will be an epic fantasy adventure with southeast Asian themes, writer Adele Lim said at the panel. The film is set in a realm called Lumandra, described as “a reimagined earth inhabited by an ancient civilization.” Five clans form the land of the dragon, and Raya is determined to find the last dragon.

Cassie Steele is the protagonist Raya and the rapper Awkwafina (Nora Lum) plays the dragon, named Sisu. “She’s not like any other dragon that you’ve seen before; she’s a water dragon,” Awkwafina said.
https://www.polygon.com/2019/8/24/20...jzjtGJbGTyw6vE
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 08:49 PM   #2
drgon78
Mad Scientist

Might be good.
drgon78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 10:31 PM   #3
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

the dragon looks cool, at least

ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 05:17 AM   #4
drgon78
Mad Scientist

So that is what a female luck dragon from the Never Ending Story would look like.
Old 08-25-2019, 01:33 PM   #5
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

It just looks like how a character voiced by "Awkafina" would look life

(Though, I can never disconnect the musician from Sextina Aquafina from BoJack Horseman)
Old 08-28-2020, 08:23 AM   #6
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

First look at the film (spoilered for size). The movie has also had a change in directors (seems to be the norm for Disney Animation these days) and Kelly Marie Tran has taken over as the voice of the lead character.

https://ew.com/movies/raya-last-drag...ly-marie-tran/

Spoiler:
NinjaPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 08:58 AM   #7
turtle1237
Stone Warrior

The poster kinda of reminds me of Dragon Hunters a little bit. Well before the movie got all dark near the end of course.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cOaIRRUBdo
turtle1237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 07:44 AM   #8
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

Getting some Avatar/Korra vibes from the first trailer

NinjaPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 01:25 PM   #9
drgon78
Mad Scientist

Looks okay, don't have much faith in Disney anymore, so might see it eventually.
Old 10-21-2020, 01:47 PM   #10
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Not a fan of the dragon design, but everything else looks interesting.
Old 03-05-2021, 09:02 AM   #11
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Blindly went to the cinema and...it’s a surprisingly good movie. Better than Soul I reckon.

The cinematography is absolutely breathtaking and the fight sequences are furious and top notch.

Spoiler>>>

I’m just thinking about the theme of the movie which is about trust. Would you trust someone who betrayed you (not once but twice!). Apparently Raya still trusted Naamari and gave her own orb fragment piece, which her friends followed suit as well. If it’s me during the final battle, I’ll most likely struck down that traitorous scum, stabbed her a good time and decapitated her and collect her fragment myself.

But alas it’s Disney. Perhaps the orb fragments won’t work if there’s no element of trust from each owner of the fragments? It kinda parallels with what happened 500 years ago with the dragons giving each of their powers to form the orb and fully entrusted Sisu with it.

And if Raya killed Naamari, The Fang tribe won’t be with the other tribes at the end scene enjoining together with the Heart tribe.

Also if she got killed, we won’t ever see another side of her character which was revealed at the end where she’s absolutely enthralled and teary eyes staring at Sisu, a real life dragon that she’s adored since childhood. A dragon nerd marvelling at this mythical creature. She’s not all bad tbh.

Yeah I reckon they picked the right story to tell about unity and trust. I’m enraged with traitors but the message of hope and forgiveness are clearly superior than hatred and revenge. Nice.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 02:36 AM   #12
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

According to Kelly Marie Tran, her character is a lesbian in the movie:

https://www.pride.com/geek/2021/3/05...racter-gay?amp

Also, she goes on to recount all the horrible racism and misogyny she experienced after The Last Jedi:

https://metro.co.uk/2021/03/04/kelly...ak-up-14190801
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 05:59 AM   #13
Sumac
Banned

At this point it reminds me how losers still can't let go bullying in the school.

I mean, bullying is ****** and no-one deserved to be bullied, but if it had happened the most healthy approach is to let it go, instead destroying your mind in a twisted hatred of the past you can't change.

This is twice as sad, when grown up people act like teenagers and can't act like adults and move on. On the other hand, what people want in the culture where victimhood is celebrated and rewarded?
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 07:03 AM   #14
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
According to Kelly Marie Tran, her character is a lesbian in the movie:
Watched the movie yesterday and I didn't get a lesbian vibe off the main character at all. There was actually no romance in this movie whatsoever, just a standard action heroine movie. The only other female she interacted with in the movie was a character who started off as a villain and wanted to kill her for half the film, so there was definitely no romance here.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 05:28 PM   #15
sdp
-

She's not gay, just the fat one from the star was movies said in an interview literally "some romantic feelings going on there", and the usual crowd takes that quote and makes their own "OH YEAH SHE'S A LESBIAN" to either be happy about it or be outraged, just the same clickbait people fall for all this time. How is the movie, it looks original, but haven't heard much about it.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 06:12 PM   #16
Shark_Blade
Emperor

The writers/producers doesn’t say anything about lesbian so I’m gonna disregard what she say.
They gave off more childhood friend vibe more than anything.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 07:16 PM   #17
CyberCubed
Overlord

There's no romance at all in the entire movie. You can't even squint to find something since it doesn't exist.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 07:21 PM   #18
IMJ
Emperor

Looks like Tom & Jerry put this CGi leftistfest to bed this weekend.

Screen Rant
Indie Wire
Cultured Vultures

Some of the hopeful writers at those links all feel that it will close the gap in the coming weeks. Cool. I don't actually care about this movie. But I love that Tom & Jerry beat it. Reminds me of when Sonic crushed the libtard competition at the time as well.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 05:22 AM   #19
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

I'm sad that the film wasn't as successful as I had hoped.

The film was enjoyable. The casting director(s) could've added more actors/actresses who were of Southeast Asian descent. In addition, the writers should've really delved into Southeast Asian philosophy/mythology more. I even wish that the film could've discarded some of its more ... "unfitting" jokes/humor, and took/taken itself a bit more seriously. But, overall, it was a great film.

It's just disheartening that it didn't succeed.
Papenbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 06:30 AM   #20
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papenbrook View Post
The casting director(s) could've added more actors/actresses who were of Southeast Asian descent.
Psssst, they are actors. They "pretend" to be characters. Its in their job description.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote