The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 05-31-2020, 11:28 PM   #1
neatoman
Emperor

Were the Red Sky seasons (and maybe more) produced as part of a Fant4stic scenario?

So... I've noticed that not only were the Red Sky seasons """Darker""" than the previous seasons, they were also absurdly short and the episodes still seemed to have the same shoestring budget as before. Not only that but the proper season 7, season 6 and season 5 were also fairly short...

Was this a Fant4stic scenario? In case you don't know, Fant4stic is a movie that was made for literally no other purpose than to make sure FOX retained the rights to the Fantastic Four because they were afraid Disney would make a profit with the characters (which was pointless in retrospect as Disney and FOX would merge 4 years later). The movie's official budget is 120+ million, but it's likely inflated by counting magic to appease some contract obligation and was probably made for way less. It has a bunch of no name actors and the writer who would later go on to shitdump all over Death Note. The director kept showing up drunk and... Look, the production was a shitshow, alright.

Anyway, considering that Fred Wolf attemped to take control of the IP through lawsuits like cowardly parasites and that the Next Mutation debuted 10 months after the show ended, it's pretty clear that:
  1. The license was going to expire pretty much right after the show officially ceased production and both parties likely knew this.
  2. The disgusting tactic of trying to steal copyright through lawsuits meant that Mirage would never want to renew the license.
So while I guess it'll never be officially confirmed, this was probably a Fant4stic scenario.

Which would mean that at least 24 episodes at a minimum were only made to prevent a loss of license. And it's possible that up to 74 were.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 01:09 AM   #2
Leo656
The Franchise

I think you'd need the paperwork to be able to prove it in court, but that's an intriguing scenario you propose, Councilor. I'll allow it. It's definitely a possibility.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 03:08 AM   #3
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
they were also absurdly short and the episodes still seemed to have the same shoestring budget as before. Not only that but the proper season 7, season 6 and season 5 were also fairly short...
By 1993–1994, the TMNT were no longer as popular as when the interest peaked around 1989–1990. So, producing less episodes for each year made sense.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 03:42 AM   #4
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
By 1993–1994, the TMNT were no longer as popular as when the interest peaked around 1989–1990. So, producing less episodes for each year made sense.
The typical standard for a cartoon season is 26 episodes. Short ones are usually 13 episodes long. 8 is really rare.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 09:03 AM   #5
CyberCubed
Overlord

By 1992 Power Rangers was the new kid fad so TMNT which was already fading in popularity hit hard. After they saw how popular Batman: TAS was which also came out in 1992 the show was re-tooled to mimic it. Of course the show ended by 1996.

Had the original cartoon managed to go on longer, by the time Pokemon came out in the west in 1998 it would have destroyed what was left of TMNT by that point anyway.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 09:17 AM   #6
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
By 1992 Power Rangers was the new kid fad so TMNT which was already fading in popularity hit hard. After they saw how popular Batman: TAS was which also came out in 1992 the show was re-tooled to mimic it. Of course the show ended by 1996.

Had the original cartoon managed to go on longer, by the time Pokemon came out in the west in 1998 it would have destroyed what was left of TMNT by that point anyway.
Look also at the damage Pokemon did to Spider-Man when it tried to bounce back after the cancellation of the 90s series. Spider-Man Unlimited went up against it and got soundly trashed, and there wasn't a new Spidey cartoon until 2002 to tie in with Raimi movies.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 10:01 AM   #7
Sumac
Banned

Who knows, but given the "quality" of the Seasons 8-10, I wouldn't exclude this possibility.

Though, personally, I believe, they just wanted to retool the show into "darker and edgier" to match Batman TAS.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 10:19 AM   #8
cammy85
Stone Warrior

I always assumed it had something to do with James Avery being busy playing Uncle Phil in person on Fresh Prince. He voiced Shredder 12 times in Season 2's Saturday run and 11 times in the extra episodes; the amount diminishing each season until he was replaced in Season 7, where Shredder appeared 10 our of 14 timed in the main season and 10 out of 13 times in the Europe thanks to a different VA most of the time. The change was inevitable.
cammy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 10:36 AM   #9
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
Who knows, but given the "quality" of the Seasons 8-10, I wouldn't exclude this possibility.
Season 8 is very well animated, by the standards of the show up to that point. Seasons 9-10 had a noticeable downgrade in quality. Of course, that usually owes to the animation studio, but maybe Fred Wolf Films went with a cheaper option after the first set of 8 episodes.

I've always thought the shift in animation style was an attempt to keep the TMNT brand relevance in a post-Batman TAS landscape.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 10:54 AM   #10
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post

Mighty Morphin Power Rangers debuted in August 1993

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mighty..._Power_Rangers

That said, there were other franchises gaining popularity by 1992.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 01:04 PM   #11
PizzaPower1985
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
So... I've noticed that not only were the Red Sky seasons """Darker""" than the previous seasons, they were also absurdly short and the episodes still seemed to have the same shoestring budget as before. Not only that but the proper season 7, season 6 and season 5 were also fairly short...

Was this a Fant4stic scenario? In case you don't know, Fant4stic is a movie that was made for literally no other purpose than to make sure FOX retained the rights to the Fantastic Four because they were afraid Disney would make a profit with the characters (which was pointless in retrospect as Disney and FOX would merge 4 years later). The movie's official budget is 120+ million, but it's likely inflated by counting magic to appease some contract obligation and was probably made for way less. It has a bunch of no name actors and the writer who would later go on to shitdump all over Death Note. The director kept showing up drunk and... Look, the production was a shitshow, alright.

Anyway, considering that Fred Wolf attemped to take control of the IP through lawsuits like cowardly parasites and that the Next Mutation debuted 10 months after the show ended, it's pretty clear that:
  1. The license was going to expire pretty much right after the show officially ceased production and both parties likely knew this.
  2. The disgusting tactic of trying to steal copyright through lawsuits meant that Mirage would never want to renew the license.
So while I guess it'll never be officially confirmed, this was probably a Fant4stic scenario.

Which would mean that at least 24 episodes at a minimum were only made to prevent a loss of license. And it's possible that up to 74 were.
Definitely a possibility BUT... if they were just episodes made for retaining some kind of rights, they did a pretty good job considering several factors:

1) These were far more serious shows than previous seasons.

2) TMNT were not as popular by 1994 as they had been during turtlemania.

3) They didn't have to change anything as dramatically as they did, especially if FW knew the license would expire. It's surprising because changing direction in the middle of production generally means spending more $$$ for different character designs, hiring new writers (which they did until Wise came back) etc.

It's definitely an interesting scenario. Wish we could confirm it.
PizzaPower1985 is offline   Reply With Quote