The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 06-17-2021, 03:57 PM   #121
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
That's kind of the very reason I don't bear it any ill will at all.* I don't expect TMNT to cater to 40 year-olds and that would be silly.
Then who's left? Kids? The mythical "new audience" that every property tries to invent out of thin air but never, ever manifests itself?

Pardon me...

I've said this countless times and it's never any less true: You HAVE to put your existing and longest-tenured fanbase FIRST. They're the people with the longest-tenured emotional investment. Not only do they deserve to be "catered" to for all their loyalty, they've proven that they care and will stick around. "Little Timmy" who only knows TMNT from the Bay movies or the "Rise" cartoon or the NickToon... he already stopped caring. Little Timmy abandoned TMNT as soon as another shiny new toy caught his eye. That will ALWAYS happen. You cannot count on a "new audience" to keep a brand alive; they don't exist, and they don't care.

It's not "silly" to design your products for an audience you already HAVE, who WANTS to support your products. What's "silly" is to IGNORE those people and figure "We'll just replace 'em all, no big deal." That's only worked with MLP, of all things, and that's an extreme outlier.

Any "hardcore fan" should want TMNT to survive and thrive for a long while, yet. But that's absolutely impossible under the current regime's mindset of "We don't need those 40-year olds, we'll replace 'em all with 5-year olds or Twitter randos." That is SO STUPID to even consider as a strategy that it blows my goddamn mind. The 40-year olds are who kept the franchise's "lights" on all these years, and the 5-year olds and social media pink-hairs 100% do not care, won't stick around for the long haul, and have proven that.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/

Last edited by Leo656; 06-17-2021 at 06:37 PM.
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 04:14 PM   #122
AquaParade
Banned

Leo, that's why I asked if you are reading the Last Ronin. Because it is aimed at you. And I hope to God you are supporting it if you are this serious about who the license holders should cater to - which I agree with 100% btw.
Also, because I'm just curious if you've read it in general.

Yeah, I cheerlead for the book, but that's because it is finally something aimed at older fans. When is the last time that actually happened?
Probably Urban Legends or a Mirage reprint if you can even count that. Volume 4??

So if IDW is holding the torch for the franchise, they're actually doing really well over the last few years. Yeah, Jennika is whatever, but TLR, Urban Legends reprint, and keeping company with Batman? C'mon that's all pretty cool.

Last edited by AquaParade; 06-17-2021 at 04:19 PM.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 04:21 PM   #123
Leo656
The Franchise

It's a good book. I just don't say a lot about it because mostly it's all been said already by other fine gents such as yourself. It's good and I'm glad it exists. Not my preferred "What If" TMNT future but it's a good one.

But for as good as it is, it'll be over soon, and we'll still be left with the Zootopia Fanfic as the largest representation of the TMNT brand at present. And that's incredibly depressing.

I'd like for "real" TMNT stuff to not only be coming out in drips and drabs, is all. Stuff that authentically represents the characters and the brand should be the constant status quo, not the literary equivalent of a pity-f*ck.

And those Batman cross-over books were terrible. C'mon.

Old 06-17-2021, 04:31 PM   #124
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Kind of with Leo on that point. It'd be like in the 2000s if Batman and Detective Comics suddenly went super corny and goofy (for the sake of argument), and remained that way for 2 years, but people on the defense were like, "What's the problem? You don't like the main Batman comics? Just read Batman vs. Predator or Batman/Grendel or maybe Dark Knight II... those are for you!!" Because that's a pretty silly argument to make for fairly obvious reasons.

And yeah, those Batman crossovers were ghastly. I can't comment on their cartoon adaptations as I haven't seen (I understand they're at least somewhat better?) but they're basically beautiful art coupled with horrific storytelling akin to a 12 year old boy playing with toys in the bathtub. And what that writer did with Bane is inexcusable. I guess that same writer has gone on to take over at least one of the Batman mains, and now Bane has some daughter he never knew about, as well?

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 06-17-2021 at 04:37 PM.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 04:45 PM   #125
Leo656
The Franchise

Just yesterday I saw someone on another forum praise the TMNT/Power Rangers cross-over from The Next Mutation by saying "It was like being a kid playing with toys in the bathtub!"

They meant it 100% in a positive way and I just about blew a blood vessel. This is why people ought to be forced to pass a written test before they're allowed to vote and/or have kids. Because people like that shouldn't have any voice in anything and shouldn't be allowed to influence future events.

Old 06-17-2021, 04:50 PM   #126
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

It'd be one thing if a Power Rangers TMNT crossover happened in comics in like 1996, when comics were still in grocery stores and their fandoms were all, well, kids. It's another thing when TMNT and Power Rangers fans that would care about such a thing are all grown adults. I can't imagine any 12 year olds today going "oooh!!" at such a comic today (not that the odds of kids today even wandering into a comic store -- if one can even be found -- are particularly good).

Maybe the hope is that the collectors today just buy a ton and send them off to be boarded and graded and never even read them.

(I am, of course, assuming you're right and the Power Rangers/TMNT crossover is like that. I didn't read it, of course)
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 05:03 PM   #127
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Just yesterday I saw someone on another forum praise the TMNT/Power Rangers cross-over from The Next Mutation by saying "It was like being a kid playing with toys in the bathtub!"

They meant it 100% in a positive way and I just about blew a blood vessel. This is why people ought to be forced to pass a written test before they're allowed to vote and/or have kids. Because people like that shouldn't have any voice in anything and shouldn't be allowed to influence future events.
So you're judging people for liking things you don't like, That's pretty toxic in itself, That person found joy in seeing that crossover happen, and it made them happy seeing two of there favorite franchises together. I personally thought it was cool seeing Power Rangers and TMNT together.
Old 06-17-2021, 05:21 PM   #128
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

I know it's not exactly what is being discussed but any chance to post this imma do it...

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 05:43 PM   #129
lonewarrior20
Mad Scientist

Quote:

I take it you had a very bitter childhood, Leo you mainly seem to hate and rage against anyone that tries to be happy or has good memories of anything that you think is stupid or contrived. it just feels like you need to make people as unhappy as you are. me, i need to feel a little bit of plain old stupid happiness to get me through the day. even pointless laughter at times helps a little from watching old loony tune shorts.

"If the sun comes up tomorrow, it is only because of men of good will. That is all there is between us and the devil."
Kenny O'Donnell

https://www.deviantart.com/lonewarrior20 my fan comic/episodes of the lost season, weird ideas and my collection pics
lonewarrior20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 06:44 PM   #130
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
So you're judging people for liking things you don't like, That's pretty toxic in itself, That person found joy in seeing that crossover happen, and it made them happy seeing two of there favorite franchises together. I personally thought it was cool seeing Power Rangers and TMNT together.
You would.

And yes, I quite loudly, vocally and openly judge people constantly, for many things. That's like most of what I do. Because I'm better, smarter, and more handsome than most people AND have exceptional taste in everything. More people ought'a be like me, the whole world would be a better place. I constantly try and raise the bar, not lower it. And I call Stupid Things "stupid" as I see them.

I'm not here to be liked, I'm here to be the Voice of Reason. It's fine if people disagree with me, it simply makes it easier for me to know whose opinions I should entirely disregard on account of they eat paste or grew up under power lines.

"Up front there ought to be a Man in Black."
- Johnny Cash

Old 06-17-2021, 06:46 PM   #131
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
You would.

And yes, I quite loudly, vocally and openly judge people constantly, for many things. That's like most of what I do. Because I'm better, smarter, and more handsome than most people AND have exceptional taste in everything. More people ought'a be like me, the whole world would be a better place. I constantly try and raise the bar, not lower it. And I call Stupid Things "stupid" as I see them.

I'm not here to be liked, I'm here to be the Voice of Reason. It's fine if people disagree with me, it simply makes it easier for me to know whose opinions I should entirely disregard on account of they eat paste or grew up under power lines.

"Up front there ought to be a Man in Black."
- Johnny Cash
Sounds like you don't have any friends, If your gonna judge people for liking the things that you don't. Its not very healthy.
Old 06-17-2021, 06:49 PM   #132
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewarrior20 View Post
I take it you had a very bitter childhood, Leo you mainly seem to hate and rage against anyone that tries to be happy or has good memories of anything that you think is stupid or contrived. it just feels like you need to make people as unhappy as you are. me, i need to feel a little bit of plain old stupid happiness to get me through the day. even pointless laughter at times helps a little from watching old loony tune shorts.
Nope, a huge chunk of it was quite rapturous. It was more my teens and early-20s that sucked ass.

I've just never had any tolerance for things I find stupid, and I have no filter whatsoever. And I'm SUPER judgmental. To me, Power Rangers was just "Voltron without the gravitas", Next Mutation was dogsh*t, and those things put together were like a Reese's Cup made of vomit and feces rather than chocolate and peanut butter.

As for the unwanted psychoanalysis, I promise you, I spend a whole lot more of my time laughing than you do. For one thing, I'm not so hyper-sensitive and insecure that I need or want everyone to agree with me. I just call it like I see it. Someone agrees? Awesome. Disagrees? Fine. None of it has any bearing on my own opinion whatsoever.

Thanks for your two cents, but I've actually got people who get paid to psychoanalyze me. And even they agree that I'm like, SUPER-awesome in general.

Old 06-17-2021, 06:55 PM   #133
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Sounds like you don't have any friends, If your gonna judge people for liking the things that you don't. Its not very healthy.
TWICE IN ONE DAY!!!

Brother, what you don't know about me could fill the warehouse from "Raiders".

I have tons of friends, they just tend to be of a higher caliber than people such as yourself who go outside in broad daylight wearing Ninja Turtles pajamas. Turn on USA Network on Monday Nights, or TNT on Wednesdays, and you'll even see a few of 'em.

But besides that, as I've pointed out to other folks plenty of times, "You, yourself, will never, EVER have people standing in line to have their picture taken with you, wear your T-shirts, or buy YOUR f*cking autograph."

Don't weep for me, pal, I'm doing way better than you are. You people ought'a be grateful I even deign to spend a minute's worth of my daily time around people like you. I'm a gift you don't deserve.

Old 06-17-2021, 07:19 PM   #134
Leo656
The Franchise

To be clear: I don't give a sh*t if someone likes Power Rangers or Next Mutation. That doesn't affect me. Zarius likes Power Rangers... I might razz him about it, but otherwise we get along great.

Start throwing that "You must be a miserable hateful person who had a rotten childhood because you don't like this cheesy goofy nonsense" crap at me, though, and I'm gonna get a little bit snippy.

Old 06-17-2021, 07:24 PM   #135
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
TWICE IN ONE DAY!!!

https://media3.giphy.com/media/dtI7i...iU5h/giphy.gif

Brother, what you don't know about me could fill the warehouse from "Raiders".

I have tons of friends, they just tend to be of a higher caliber than people such as yourself who go outside in broad daylight wearing Ninja Turtles pajamas. Turn on USA Network on Monday Nights, or TNT on Wednesdays, and you'll even see a few of 'em.

But besides that, as I've pointed out to other folks plenty of times, "You, yourself, will never, EVER have people standing in line to have their picture taken with you, wear your T-shirts, or buy YOUR f*cking autograph."

Don't weep for me, pal, I'm doing way better than you are. You people ought'a be grateful I even deign to spend a minute's worth of my daily time around people like you. I'm a gift you don't deserve.
Sounds like the kind of people you hang with are the kinds who are a-holes to others for not being like them, Or liking what they like, So your essentially a bully, Forcing your believe onto others and telling them what is good.
Old 06-17-2021, 07:28 PM   #136
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:

As a 90s' kid I was a fan of TMNT, Power Rangers, and Pok'emon. Today, I can say I have been a fan of TMNT since I was 2, Power Rangers I was a big fan of and was one of the few that could love the heck out of both. However, by the end of the fifth season it was replacements of replacements and it was the dream crossover the TMNT meeting the Power Rangers that turned out to be the final nail in the coffin for my Power Rangers fandom as I realized without the original characters and a stale formula it was not anything I could be a fan of outside of nostalgia. From the first episode to the Power Rangers crossover I never watched Power Rangers again I was that pissed off with the crossover. I remember me aged 10 shooting a dart gun at Venus and that alien red ranger. Silly 10 year old me hated them! The crossover comic with the MIGHTY MORPHIN OG 6 was exactly (or almost I would have rather have had Lord Zedd as the PR villain) what I wanted to see in early 1998. What I got was the biggest spit in the face as a TMNT fan. It was a fan of both franchises writing with the primary influences of what we grew up with and loved best. Sure, the five parter has its flaws like practically everything, but it healed a 22 year old wound.

The biggest problem with crossovers that the TMNT take part in, the franchises are not on equal footing, what I mean is TMNT are the guest and the other publisher takes the lead. It even happens with my beloved 1987 cartoon version, where this character set is the guest set. Typically the guest set are not on par with the featured. I think only in IDW with the Ghostbusters did it seem like it leaned TMNT because of the villains and I can see Ghostbusters exclusive fans going 'who?'. It is so hard to justify crossovers of different versions of the same characters and making it work so how can it be equally effective for two different franchises crossing over to actually work and fans of both franchises agree that it worked for both franchises? Those are few and far between.
Old 06-17-2021, 07:32 PM   #137
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
As a 90s' kid I was a fan of TMNT, Power Rangers, and Pok'emon. Today, I can say I have been a fan of TMNT since I was 2, Power Rangers I was a big fan of and was one of the few that could love the heck out of both. However, by the end of the fifth season it was replacements of replacements and it was the dream crossover the TMNT meeting the Power Rangers that turned out to be the final nail in the coffin for my Power Rangers fandom as I realized without the original characters and a stale formula it was not anything I could be a fan of outside of nostalgia. From the first episode to the Power Rangers crossover I never watched Power Rangers again I was that pissed off with the crossover. I remember me aged 10 shooting a dart gun at Venus and that alien red ranger. Silly 10 year old me hated them! The crossover comic with the MIGHTY MORPHIN OG 6 was exactly (or almost I would have rather have had Lord Zedd as the PR villain) what I wanted to see in early 1998. What I got was the biggest spit in the face as a TMNT fan. It was a fan of both franchises writing with the primary influences of what we grew up with and loved best. Sure, the five parter has its flaws like practically everything, but it healed a 22 year old wound.

The biggest problem with crossovers that the TMNT take part in, the franchises are not on equal footing, what I mean is TMNT are the guest and the other publisher takes the lead. It even happens with my beloved 1987 cartoon version, where this character set is the guest set. Typically the guest set are not on par with the featured. I think only in IDW with the Ghostbusters did it seem like it leaned TMNT because of the villains and I can see Ghostbusters exclusive fans going 'who?'. It is so hard to justify crossovers of different versions of the same characters and making it work so how can it be equally effective for two different franchises crossing over to actually work and fans of both franchises agree that it worked for both franchises? Those are few and far between.
Its interesting because as far as Crossovers, Godzilla vs Kong was leaning more on Kong then Godzilla, It was more his story then Godzilla.

So the issues with crossovers, One of the teams will get more screen time then the other, That really depends on the story and what POV the story is being told at.

The TMNT were guest stars in the Power Rangers, Even though the story was very centered on the Power Rangers.
Old 06-17-2021, 07:33 PM   #138
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Sounds like the kind of people you hang with are the kinds who are a-holes to others for not being like them, Or liking what they like, So your essentially a bully, Forcing your believe onto others and telling them what is good.
And yet you are judging ME, and telling me who I supposedly am, based on what I DON'T like.

And you don't even see how that's the exact same thing in reverse.

"You as a grown man don't like a cheesy kids' show, ergo, you are a terrible mean bitter and angry person." That's what You and The Other Guy are saying.

That's no different from me saying, "You're a grown man who likes Power Rangers, ergo you're a simpleton." No different at all, you gigantic f*cking hypocrite.

So heeeeeeyyyyy, maybe take care of your own Glass House before you throw any stones at my place, Captain Kangaroo. Food For Thought.

And El-Oh-El at you thinking you know my friends. Some of 'em are too goddamn rich and famous to be miserable. But I'll tell 'em you send your pity, I'm sure they'll be thrilled to hear that some Internet Rando thinks they're bitter and miserable. That's adorable.

Some of 'em actually do like Power Rangers, by the way. Still think they're assholes, since that's apparently your criteria as to What Makes A Good Person? Jesus.

Old 06-17-2021, 07:35 PM   #139
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
And yet you are judging ME, and telling me who I supposedly am, based on what I DON'T like.

And you don't even see how that's the exact same thing in reverse.

"You as a grown man don't like a cheesy kids' show, ergo, you are a terrible mean bitter and angry person." That's what You and The Other Guy are saying.

That's no different from me saying, "You're a grown man who likes Power Rangers, ergo you're a simpleton." No different at all, you gigantic f*cking hypocrite.

So heeeeeeyyyyy, maybe take care of your own Glass House before you throw any stones at my place, Captain Kangaroo. Food For Thought.

And El-Oh-El at you thinking you know my friends. Some of 'em are too goddamn rich and famous to be miserable. But I'll tell 'em you send your pity, I'm sure they'll be thrilled to hear that some Internet Rando thinks they're bitter and miserable. That's adorable.

Some of 'em actually do like Power Rangers, by the way. Still think they're assholes, since that's apparently your criteria? Jesus.
The more you talk that way, the more people will just see you as some jerk who think he knows better.
Old 06-17-2021, 07:42 PM   #140
Leo656
The Franchise

No, it just further proves what I've been saying for years, that you are Functionally Illiterate and can't handle people who have dissenting opinions.

You're allowed to like f*cking Power Rangers, guy. And I'm allowed to not like it. God Bless America, we all get to have an opinion.

You sh*t your goddamn pants because I said I thought the Next Mutation/MMPR cross-over was stupid dogsh*t. You saw fit to rant and rave at me about it, and tell me I'm a Bad Person in so many words. Because I took a shot at a f*cking TV show from 25 years ago.

Tell me again which of us is the f*cking child?

Hint: It's you, buddy. It's the overweight bald guy in the TMNT jammies.

As for "knowing better"... I do. As for being "a jerk"... only to those who deserve it, guy. And very few have ever gone so far as to earn it as you have.

Learn to tolerate other people's opinions or kindly take a leap. If you can't handle someone saying "I don't like Power Rangers", then YOU are the one who needs f*cking therapy and a hug, you f*cking clown.

MikeAndRaph likes Power Rangers, Zarius likes Power Rangers... those guys can take a f*cking joke, they don't care that I don't like the same things they do, and that's why we're friends. YOU can't handle that people don't always agree with you, and that's why I can't stand you.