The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 08-01-2021, 11:22 AM   #641
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autbot_Benz View Post
I had to unsubscribe from Midnight's Edge good lord every other video they do is about Kathleen Kennedy and Lucasfilm its borderline obsession with them and that's coming from someone who isn't a fan of her either.

Yeah.... the.... direction.... of their observations on that channel are usually right on the mark, and there is actually a good balance to be had that straddles "well presented opinion" and a good balance of "honest, open vitriol", but for a while now they are just sort going full-on into the "honest, open vitriol" thing.

It's ironic. I don't blame them for it, but you are right - it's full on cognitive dissonance. Like... everything they say is right on the money but God do I want to hear this $#!( anymore?
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 03:41 PM   #642
Galactus
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
Why? This idiot done nothing, but ruined everything related to Star Trek.
Is it his wokeness? Or his good at sucking dicks of some important people (literally or figuratively)?
He's a straight white guy. Why would wokeness keep him in his job?

It's that despite people like Midnight Edge both Discovery and Picard have both been successful. And yes they are at this point there is zero reason for Paramount to keep renewing shows and doing spin offs if they weren't. Right now we are going three live action series (and a possible fourth) and two animated movies. I don't think Trek has been this prosperous since Generations came out.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 06:46 PM   #643
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactus View Post
He's a straight white guy. Why would wokeness keep him in his job?
The same reason why they keep all White people working for them? They say right things at the right time.

As for success...we'll see.
We live in a funny time, where show can be a critical and financial failure, but companies behind them continue to pump them out, because, they receive headpats from Twatter mob.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 07:42 PM   #644
Galactus
Foot Elite

Quote:
The same reason why they keep all White people working for them? They say right things at the right time.

As for success...we'll see.
We live in a funny time, where show can be a critical and financial failure, but companies behind them continue to pump them out, because, they receive headpats from Twatter mob.
I don't even care for Discovery that much but if you wander into portions of the internet that aren't an alt right echo chamber you can see the show has an audience.

Corporations aren't pissing away vast amounts of money for a few people on twitter saying nice things about them. I could buy them putting out two seasons to save face and attempt to course correct the show and maybe a third but four and a bunch of spin offs in the same vein? Nah.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 08:30 PM   #645
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

There are no words.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 09:16 PM   #646
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
I don't even care for Discovery that much but if you wander into portions of the internet that aren't an alt right echo chamber you can see the show has an audience.
Good news for you than: I don't wander any echo-chambers, whatever political allegiance they hold. My judgement based on some of the comments and reviews of people.

Quote:
Corporations aren't pissing away vast amounts of money for a few people on twitter saying nice things about them. I could buy them putting out two seasons to save face and attempt to course correct the show and maybe a third but four and a bunch of spin offs in the same vein? Nah.
You mean the same corporations who produced such wonderful stuff like Ghostbusters (2016) and The Last Jedi, even though their reception was basically written on the wall?

It seems you don't get it: yes, corporations care about money, but they also care about their social influence nowadays.
Whether the movie is a failure or success, they can monetize it, by saying the right words to the right people who will carry them from one end on Internet to the other.
And if it attracts haters - even better, since there is no better PR nowadays that a group of leftards / rightards angrily barking at the movie for one reason or the other.

In this case corporations are no different than generic Johnny Loser from Twitter, who can always pretend that all his troubles can be exclusively attributed to oppression, since no-one recognizes his unique and special gender of non-trilinear airship. Or that his attacked by evil SJWs, who want him dead for being a White man who likes sexy women (though given SJW rhetoric the latter might stop being a joke quite soon, not that you care, I guess).

Johnny takes his grief on the Twitter and, if he has enough audience, he can become a superstar and gain influence and money through it. Corporations do the same, but just to attain even more grip over people's minds. If they lose few millions...well, they are mega-corporations for a reason. If they lose some officers and directors it is not a disaster. Being forgotten in this day and age is.

I am not saying it works 100% like this with Star Trek, but don't underestimate why and how things are done this age. Unless, you genuinely buy that SJWs stand for what they believe in.
Old 08-02-2021, 08:13 AM   #647
FrederikWolferson
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Yet they keep doing exactly that. Ideology over logic. Or rather,their ideology has a logic all of it's own.
FrederikWolferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 06:38 AM   #648
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Headed into an unexplored anomaly...so this season is them basically doing the expanse again?
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 07:06 AM   #649
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post

Headed into an unexplored anomaly...so this season is them basically doing the expanse again?
... Is that a Human/Cardassian hybrid?
Hahahaha!
neatoman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 03:46 AM   #650
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Sat through the first two of the new season. Wow. Pure unadulterated crap. It's like it was written by middle school students.

The saddest part isn't that SJWs will trumpet this (because they will, probably sight unseen). The saddest part is that how hard would it be to tell people to check out Star Trek, to give it a go? This is just pure dogsh**.
Old 11-28-2021, 12:03 PM   #651
neatoman
Emperor

It sounds kind of weird to me that Picard is allegedly the only person to successfully get a replacement android body in 800 years. Thousands of planets did not figure out how to do it in 800 years? Soong Jr. was literally the only guy who managed to get the tech right and/or only Picard received it successfully, really? I get that you don't want the characters to practically be immortal but still.
Hahahaha!
Old 11-28-2021, 12:16 PM   #652
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
It sounds kind of weird to me that Picard is allegedly the only person to successfully get a replacement android body in 800 years. Thousands of planets did not figure out how to do it in 800 years? Soong Jr. was literally the only guy who managed to get the tech right and/or only Picard received it successfully, really? I get that you don't want the characters to practically be immortal but still.

Picard gets an android body. But it adapts to his current age and physical state and one of the characters even comments on how "it will live out the rest of your days as you would've naturally". That's either the dumbest writing I've ever seen on T.V. or it's so genius and above me that I can't even remotely compute it. The writers and Wil Wheaton would tell you it was brilliant.

Meanwhile, Data is residing in a holo-box that only gives him one room in a cabin and instead of putting Data into a synth-body that brings him even closer to humanity, they kill him off. Again. So we waited 20 years with the unsatisfying and hurtful ending of Nemesis to do it all over again, but this time it's worse because they dangled a story fix for it in our faces and then for some inexplicable reason they put Picard in it.

Patrick Stewart must be going f'n senile to drink the office-meeting kool-aid and have gone along with this. I can't believe Spiner himself didn't point any of this out.

All of that is literally a poster-child example of the "Clown World" culture.
Old 11-28-2021, 12:56 PM   #653
Sumac
Banned

Sir PS is old and he needs money.
At this point he can't do much, so, I guess, he is OK with selling whatever beliefs he has, to get some dough.

I can't judge him for this, to be honest.
At this age it is whatever opportunity you have and, besides, making enemies with Twatter trash is not a best option for him right now.
Old 11-28-2021, 01:54 PM   #654
CyberCubed
Overlord

Data dying again makes sense to give him and Picard proper closure. There's nothing else to do with the character anymore and it allowed Data to be closer to what it means to be human.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 03:04 PM   #655
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Data dying again makes sense to give him and Picard proper closure. There's nothing else to do with the character anymore and it allowed Data to be closer to what it means to be human.
I mean if we needed a "character evolution paradigm" as the sole reason to continue these characters, then Data receiving the new android body would still have been better, duuuuude.

The new android body is a "synth" body. It ages and is basically an organic replication. It literally would've allowed Data to complete his "humanity" journey by growing older, facing those challenges and eventually dying. It literally would've been "more to do with the character" and literally brought him closer to "what it means to be human" moreso in every way than simply dying again as a hologram. And not only that, but it would've given Spiner a valid reason to play Data but as "old Spiner".

I mean... dude... if we put this on something as mundane as a scoring system, then the outcome I was proposing as "should have happened" literally wins even by your own logic of the situation:

As-Is
Data dies again = closure (+1), closer to being "human" (+1) = 2 points

What Should Have Been
Data put in synth body = Data experiences "aging" (+1), Data has organic sensory input over his whole body (+1), Data completes his conversion to "humanity" (+1), Data faces the challenges of growing older in this body (+1), Data faces death in an organic body (+1), Spiner can play Data without de-aging or makeup (+1) = 8 points

In every conceivable way what they did with Data was more than a missed opportunity. It can only be explained by "clown world patterns".
Old 11-28-2021, 04:13 PM   #656
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Data dying again makes sense to give him and Picard proper closure.
No, no sense. And they'd already had their closure in Nemesis 20 years before that. Bringing Data back for 2 minutes just to kill him off so he can experience death... again... does what, exactly?

Yes, transferring Data to an aging android body (even though TNG literally told us he WAS in an aging android body, but writers seem to have forgotten that) could have been something new for him as a character and how to wave away Spiner's aging.
Old 12-14-2021, 11:48 AM   #657
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Such a great evolution since Shatner, Nimoy, and Kelley.

Old 12-14-2021, 02:55 PM   #658
Sumac
Banned

Thanks, I needed to vomit today.

Also, what is this thing on the left with "butterfly wings" and why its face looks like it has skin decease?
Old 12-14-2021, 03:17 PM   #659
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Thanks, I needed to vomit today.

Also, what is this thing on the left with "butterfly wings" and why its face looks like it has skin decease?
I'm guessing the butterfly wings are to signify its emergence as its "true self" or whatever they say.

The facial leprosy, just a guess, but the body fighting back against the hormone blockers or the estrogen, maybe?
Old 12-15-2021, 02:06 AM   #660
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I'm guessing the butterfly wings are to signify its emergence as its "true self" or whatever they say.

The facial leprosy, just a guess, but the body fighting back against the hormone blockers or the estrogen, maybe?
This is an FTM, so it's testosterone injections. Though the french maid outfit does raise some questions...
Hahahaha!