The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 11-30-2021, 03:01 PM   #41
Bahamut810
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Saiyaman View Post
Does this have a lot of required background knowledge to get into? I havent watched all the series' yet.
Bahamut810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 03:04 PM   #42
Bahamut810
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypered1 View Post
The sales figures disagree, in fact they pretty clearly show that the opposite is in fact true.
I havent looked at the long term sales (that I can recall). With *just these* sales numbers you can see the numbers dropping by 800 issues every month and The Last Ronin have 4x more interest then the main run.
Old 11-30-2021, 03:04 PM   #43
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
Good god, I havn't really kept up with it since issue 100.

Mutant Town is an interesting area to take things too...but this is not one of those areas..
Actually Sheena (the pig mutant) is a lesbian who had a lesbian kiss with Jennika who was portrayed as straight when she was human (she was flirting with Casey for like 10 issues prior to issue 100, and we know from her mini-series she also had a boyfriend before that when she was a teenager), so now Jennika and Sheena are the LGBT couple of the series.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 03:06 PM   #44
hypered1
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Actually Sheena (the pig mutant) is a lesbian who had a lesbian kiss with Jennika who was portrayed as straight when she was human (she was flirting with Casey for like 10 issues prior to issue 100, and we know from her mini-series she also had a boyfriend before that when she was a teenager), so now Jennika and Sheena are the LGBT couple of the series.
Pretty sure we can say that Jen is bisexual.
Old 11-30-2021, 03:07 PM   #45
The Great Saiyaman
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahamut810 View Post
Does this have a lot of required background knowledge to get into? I havent watched all the series' yet.
You certainly must have seen the first and second season.
Old 11-30-2021, 03:28 PM   #46
hypered1
Mad Scientist

Quote:
I havent looked at the long term sales (that I can recall). With *just these* sales numbers you can see the numbers dropping by 800 issues every month and The Last Ronin have 4x more interest then the main run.
#121's figures have taken a bit of a dip that's true but it's still way above the series lowest sales levels, in fact it's running numbers that are some of the series best since it launched and are almost double those from three years ago.

Here's some of the numbers from a few random issues from throughout the first 100:

Feel free to look up the numbers to corroborate the above: https://www.comichron.com/monthlycomicssales.html
Old 11-30-2021, 03:30 PM   #47
Bahamut810
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Pretty sure we can say that Jen is bisexual.
Fast onset bisexuality is becoming a thing in comic characters...

Its cool to have an LGBT relationship in the comic, but do it with new characters or characters that don't have a romantic history in the comic. Like Sheena...f-kin awesome! You got get her! Jennika suddenly liking the ladies out of no-where with a long history of not? Cringe. Its not even like Karai who has a subtle lesbian vibe in one if the comics where she walks away hand in hand with the Yakuza woman whose name escapes me.
Old 11-30-2021, 03:43 PM   #48
hypered1
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Fast onset bisexuality is becoming a thing in comic characters...

Its cool to have an LGBT relationship in the comic, but do it with new characters or characters that don't have a romantic history in the comic. Like Sheena...f-kin awesome! You got get her! Jennika suddenly liking the ladies out of no-where with a long history of not? Cringe. Its not even like Karai who has a subtle lesbian vibe in one if the comics where she walks away hand in hand with the Yakuza woman whose name escapes me.
I believe you mean Natsu and to be fair I do mostly agree with your sentiment, but I think it comes down to there not being any other central characters in the series that are, or could be, lgbt (the only other one of note that I'm aware of is Lindsay but she's been in less than a dozen issues altogether) and with Jen still being a relatively undeveloped character even at the point of her mutation, she just became the obvious option for the relationship.
Old 11-30-2021, 04:11 PM   #49
Vegita-San
Emperor

a bi sexual pig mutant. Wonderful. Just what I wanted to see in a Turtles series. Not foot battles or Mutant Hawks.

'Wrong, April. We've Been upgraded to Women hating TROLLS'

?The force is not female, the force is not male, the force is for everyone?
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 04:46 PM   #50
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
I'm assuming you mean myself when referring to those defending the current run but I'd like to point out that I have previously said that I find the pacing slower than it should be.

That Reddit thread is actually quite civilized compared to the usual discourse on here but again it seems to be minority of the overall readership and 4chan is a 24/7 dumpster fire so I wouldn't consider anything on there to be reputable.
I was more thinking TigerClaw and lonewarrior20, the guys who really seem to fail to grasp the criticism or at the very least can't argue against them properly. You actually admit there is a problem with this run.

I'm not really saying the majority of the people who read this run don't like it, it's just... Really, really, really weird that it's so difficult to find anyone who claim they do like it despite selling so well. Maybe most people reading this book actually love it but I kind of doubt it. That reddit thread isn't just the only negative thread I could find about Sophie's run, it's just about the only reddit thread I could find about Sophie's run. Most others really just talk about Waltz's run in relation to IDW, the only other exception I found was a very short thread that amounted to little more than two or three users calling the Raph/Alopex relationship cringe.

If the people who dislike this run are in the minority, why are the vast majority of responses I can find negative? The idea of there being a silent majority for a comic book seems really strange to me.

As weird as it may sound, a comic book selling well isn't always indicative of popularity. The Clone Saga is an infamously terrible Spider-Man storyline that went on forever because it actually sold well, even though it was pretty much universally hated back when it was being published and is more less considered a joke in retrospect.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 06:35 PM   #51
ChosenOne
Banned

Funny story, an infamous former PM in my country who has since come under investigation for a variety of corruption charges once (also in)famously had his relatives, close friends and proxies secretly buy up the entire first edition of his (ghostwritten) autobiography from every bookstore in the country so as to artificially inflate the sales and make it seem like a hot item. It's even (apocryphally?) said that a vast majority of the copies were then dumped into a pond. Unrelated? Possibly. Just throwin' it out there as an anecdote.
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 02:28 AM   #52
lonewarrior20
Mad Scientist

just finished reading it and enjoyed it. some good casey/leo moments.

"If the sun comes up tomorrow, it is only because of men of good will. That is all there is between us and the devil."
Kenny O'Donnell

https://www.deviantart.com/lonewarrior20 my fan comic/episodes of the lost season, weird ideas and my collection pics
lonewarrior20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 03:47 AM   #53
Cloudrunner
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Most others really just talk about Waltz's run in relation to IDW, the only other exception I found was a very short thread that amounted to little more than two or three users calling the Raph/Alopex relationship cringe.
I was a supporter of that relationship since I felt it had a good buildup throughout the series but god damn all they do now is cuddle on the couch. I was hoping for like a... love blooms on the battlefield, lovers fighting hand-in-hand against the enemy kind of thing. What I got was netflix and chill with furries.
Cloudrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 11:15 AM   #54
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudrunner View Post
I was a supporter of that relationship since I felt it had a good buildup throughout the series but god damn all they do now is cuddle on the couch. I was hoping for like a... love blooms on the battlefield, lovers fighting hand-in-hand against the enemy kind of thing. What I got was netflix and chill with furries.
the thing is, with stuff like this, it can't go anywhere for an endgame. I'm pretty sure a fox and a turtle wouldn't be able to mate the usual way. so at best, it'd just be a friendzone relationship.

which makes the whole thing kind of pointless for most, which is why i'd rather have the whole subject avoided.

'Wrong, April. We've Been upgraded to Women hating TROLLS'

?The force is not female, the force is not male, the force is for everyone?
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 11:22 AM   #55
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
the thing is, with stuff like this, it can't go anywhere for an endgame. I'm pretty sure a fox and a turtle wouldn't be able to mate the usual way. so at best, it'd just be a friendzone relationship.
A fox and a turtle wouldn't, but a mutant fox and a mutant turtle is a whole other ballgame. There's just enough suspension of disbelief involved in the "mutant" part of the equation that, who knows, it could work the same as if they were humans. Everything else does.

Used to be a Ninja Notes full of praise and enthusiasm, then some months ago we got used to seeing a negative letter in the lot, now it's 50/50 and the positive half reads a lot like shilling. Brief, boilerplate attempts at shilling. Oy.

The only positive thing in the book right now is Hob. I really want to see what's next for him.
Old 12-01-2021, 12:06 PM   #56
Weapons@theready
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Casey's gonna bang a pig-person?
I read this as pigeon person and thought Pete was about to get some action
Weapons@theready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 03:51 PM   #57
CyberCubed
Overlord

Decent issue but again the story goes by so fast there's not much to say. Leo/Casey go with Sheena to a fight club and Leo meets Carmen, they fight, and she agrees to train with him. That's the whole issue.

But what annoys me the most is the end of the issue AGAIN ends with Old Hob going to the 3 weasel children and asking them to help him with something. How many times has Sophie done this Hob/3 weasel kids thing lately? I thought it was done now and here we have Old Hob again taking the little kid ninjas with him. WTF?
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 06:08 PM   #58
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
But what annoys me the most is the end of the issue AGAIN ends with Old Hob going to the 3 weasel children and asking them to help him with something. How many times has Sophie done this Hob/3 weasel kids thing lately? I thought it was done now and here we have Old Hob again taking the little kid ninjas with him. WTF?
About as many times as she's had Raph chase Hob down and engage in a brawl with him.
Old 12-01-2021, 07:12 PM   #59
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

What is this? Someone remember Leo exists and gave him an issue? From the bits I've caught he's seemed to have been rather in the background for a long time.
IndigoErth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 08:01 PM   #60
Cloudrunner
Foot Soldier

Quote:

which makes the whole thing kind of pointless for most, which is why i'd rather have the whole subject avoided.
lol there's more to romantic development than ****ing eachother... especially in a comic like this. I was never looking for horrible foxturtle babies or anything. I mean I guess what I wanted out of their relationship was what I want out of the comic itself. Which is action... fighting... and character building in relation to that constant strife. There's just too much everyday life stuff now.

The idea of "What if the turtles were able to live normal lives?" Was a novel idea for a few issues, but this dynamic just really drags the storyline down now. We found out what it's like if they live normal lives, we've been seeing it for like 2 years now. And the answer is just flat out it's not as interesting as when they were living and fighting in the shadows.
Cloudrunner is offline   Reply With Quote