The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 07-01-2020, 06:31 AM   #101
Diorm
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Well by that logic...We've already had 3 live action movies and 1 live action show, we've alredy had 3 traditional 2d animated series, we've already had 2 live action with cg movies, we've already had a 2D movie.

I don't even know what you would want, a 4D animated show?
We don't speak about "THAT" live show.

What I want? A live show that looks like the first movie (or more R rated). At least a new movie that looks like it. I'm not alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
What kind of person's life is so empty that they need to keep crawling under the fence into THIS sh*thole? It ain't like it's Vegas.
Ok that one got me XD
You're on fire in those posts Leo

Last edited by Diorm; 07-01-2020 at 06:44 AM.
Diorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 08:19 AM   #102
CyberCubed
Overlord

So it's probably going to be like TMNT 2007 was...just for the new 2020 decade. Of course the Turtles designs are of the most importance after seeing the Bay movies and what Rise did with them.

They need to go back to the traditional designs without any gimmicks in order to succeed.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 09:04 AM   #103
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

It's also worth mentioning that Rogen was a hands-on producer for both "Preacher" and "The Boys," both excellent and brutal shows (especially the latter). He isn't just "stoner movie guy."
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 09:08 AM   #104
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
It's also worth mentioning that Rogen was a hands-on producer for both "Preacher" and "The Boys," both excellent and brutal shows (especially the latter). He isn't just "stoner movie guy."
I knew he was involved with Preacher and mentioned it earlier but didn't know he was involved in The Boys, which was an excellent adaption. This dude is going to dig the black and white comics. I'm a big fan of the movie "50/50" he produced and acted in. Really good drama/comedy about cancer.

Last edited by AquaParade; 07-01-2020 at 09:31 AM.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 09:15 AM   #105
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

Quote:
Exactly. People labeling Rogen like that aren't aware of many projects that he's been involved in. His production company has put out some really good stuff recently.
NinjaPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 09:38 AM   #106
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
I knew he was involved with Preacher and mentioned it earlier but didn't know he was involved in The Boys, which was an excellent adaption. This dude is going to dig the black and white comics. I'm a big fan of the movie "50/50" he produced and acted in. Really good drama/comedy about cancer.
I also really liked him in "Funny People" with Sandler, one of the rare serious movies from Sandler (where Sandler's character has cancer and Rogen becomes like his apprentice). Though I don't think Rogen had anything to do with it creatively.
Old 07-01-2020, 10:40 AM   #107
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
I rather he look into IDW.
Old 07-01-2020, 10:42 AM   #108
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
I rather he look into IDW.
Eh... no. Unless he just wants to take the reincarnation angle and nothing else.
Old 07-01-2020, 10:47 AM   #109
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
That's a fair point. I was thinking more of his 3D animated stuff (only Sausage Party comes to mind) and forgotten he was involved in those adult comic adaptations. Even though they take some extreme liberties with the source material, they're definitely not for kids.

I'm still extremely leery though. I feel like the odds of "let's do something for fans of the original comics!" is about as likely as Ron Paul getting elected for President.

What are the odds Seth Rogen is the torchbearer to show the world that TMNT isn't just for five-year-olds? I'm not betting on it. But I'll sing his praises if he surprises me.
Old 07-01-2020, 10:47 AM   #110
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Since we're getting word of this, I hope maybe some design art leaks aren't far behind. I mean, I know daring to throw anything out there is like baiting the sharks in this (or probably most any) fandom, but some direction will be nice and not let pure speculation, and arguments based on speculation, go on for too long.

That claim a while ago that Playmates would be re-releasing the old school Turtles and something rumored about a new series or whatnot to be announced this spring (and wasn't)... you think it actually had anything to do with this animated movie, not a series?

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
By the way, since that movie will be a reboot, what shall we call the two previous movies? PD might not work anymore, seeing how PD is the production company for that movie.
Hm, not much else to call it unless it has a distinct title to separate it like OotS does. Other than that I know I'll probably just be calling it "PD [insert year]."

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
What are the odds Seth Rogen is the torchbearer to show the world that TMNT isn't just for five-year-olds? I'm not betting on it. But I'll sing his praises if he surprises me.
That would be awesome, and would surprise me if Nick allowed it to happen. Though they already did once by letting that Batman vs TMNT movie become a thing, so who knows. (Though I probably will be considering this fully a kid thing until they show us otherwise.)

Would be nice if they finally did embrace the older fanbase who is always there willing to throw money at anything good.

Last edited by IndigoErth; 07-01-2020 at 10:54 AM.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 10:57 AM   #111
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post

That claim a while ago that Playmates would be re-releasing the old school Turtles and something rumored about a new series or whatnot to be announced this spring (and wasn't)... you think it actually had anything to do with this animated movie, not a series?
My wild guess is that this deal was made quite recently. I'd wager that Platinum Dunes, who last year claimed they would go into production by the end of 2019, were completely stumped on how to move this thing forward and with corona virus stalling things even further, the deal was terminated and Viacom sought something in the animated realm they could get off the ground sooner rather than later, as animation has become a very popular option for studios ever since quarantine began.

Again, I stress "wild guess".
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 10:59 AM   #112
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
I've always said, it just takes one guy with clout who is a real TMNT fan to make it happen.

Plus, think about it. What's more likely... Viacom/Nickelodeon sought out Seth Rogen all on their own one day, inexplicably... or Seth Rogen came up with a TMNT passion project and approached them? I feel like the latter, which is really the only way something good could come of it and not be Product or more McTMNT™.
Old 07-01-2020, 11:28 AM   #113
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
I've always said, it just takes one guy with clout who is a real TMNT fan to make it happen.

Plus, think about it. What's more likely... Viacom/Nickelodeon sought out Seth Rogen all on their own one day, inexplicably... or Seth Rogen came up with a TMNT passion project and approached them? I feel like the latter, which is really the only way something good could come of it and not be Product or more McTMNT?.
Stop it. Dammit, STOP IT. Don't you DARE make me hopeful.
Old 07-01-2020, 11:36 AM   #114
Diorm
Hench Mutant

Then again, what would make Viacom/Nickelodeon interested...
Diorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 11:40 AM   #115
Teddygaming reviews
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
So it's probably going to be like TMNT 2007 was...just for the new 2020 decade. Of course the Turtles designs are of the most importance after seeing the Bay movies and what Rise did with them.

They need to go back to the traditional designs without any gimmicks in order to succeed.
those designs aren't that bad but they could do with a lot of improving but you can defiantly tell them apart other than the bandanna and weapon and sometimes belt. i am just wondering on the voices tho because at lest with the designs the can change them if they needed to.
Teddygaming reviews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 06:01 PM   #116
CyberCubed
Overlord

Pretty sure the Platinum dune/Bay movies are over. The second movie did poorly in the box office and everyone involved commented on it and its been a few years later. Even doing a "reboot" with the same company probably isn't going to happen.

I think this new CG reboot is going to be the main movie-verse for the TMNT going forward. That's also why we haven't heard anything from Platinum Dunes in a while, it's most likely shelved whatever they were planning.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 06:06 PM   #117
Leo656
The Franchise

Both "Preacher" and "The Boys" completely missed the point of the books and were supreme examples of "In Name Only" adaptations. Screw that. Costumes on point, very little else. Anyone who watches the shows and ignores the comics is a fool; anyone who PREFERS the shows to the comics is a goddamn lunatic. No thanks.

You guys sure have a lot of faith in this guy. Not gonna lie, I cannot f*cking wait to say "I told you so." But hey, Y'all Do You. I'll keep a warm crying towel for ya.

Anyways. Cracked is awful nowadays, but they definitely hit the mark with this article:

https://www.cracked.com/article_2813...ed-laughs.html

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 06:39 PM   #118
sgtfbomb
Stone Warrior

I'm trying to keep my judgments at least until we get an idea of what this look and feel like, but right now, it's not something I am terribly excited about.

On the subject of "bad movies," movies are my passion. I write about them. I love them. And I want to make them. But seeing a bad movie isn't really that big of a deal. I know, I know. "Time is sacred." But it's not that sacred. There are far worse things to do with your time than accidentally watch a bad movie.

Last edited by sgtfbomb; 07-01-2020 at 06:47 PM.
sgtfbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 08:17 PM   #119
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I think this new CG reboot is going to be the main movie-verse for the TMNT going forward. That's also why we haven't heard anything from Platinum Dunes in a while, it's most likely shelved whatever they were planning.
I missed this before, but yes, according to everything floating around right now, that is the plan. I haven't read a single thing that indicates PD TMNT 3 is ever moving forward. And that wasn't going to even be "PD TMNT 3", anyways, but yet another full-reboot.

They're not going to do two reboot movies parallel to each other, just because one is live-action and the other CGI; they were both supposed to be theatrical releases, with everything that entails. The market can't support that and they can't afford to go that route, either, financially. They can't put two conflicting TMNT movies into theaters, it's one or the other and that's that. This is not a Spider-Man or Batman-level property where they can do that kind of thing. If they were putting out a live-action movie, then the CGI one would be a streaming and disc release; by all accounts, this is going to be a theatrical release, which means the live-action film is done away with. There's a lot more information about it floating around but that's the simplest explanation.

The third PD movie hadn't even gotten past the vague idea stage in three years, anyway; it was never gonna actually happen, they just didn't know what to say about it. And they know how much you guys love to cling to hope in spite of all objective reasoning; to announce formally "No, it's not happening" and then try to manage the fallout of that announcement was more of a hassle than they wanted to deal with.

Same thing with Marvel never doing an R-Rated "Deapool 3", which I also called well in advance and got told I was a loon. It's not happening, they're either gonna make it PG-13 or they're just not gonna do the movie at all, "because they don't need it that bad", as per Liefeld himself and others involved with the project, as of a couple weeks ago. But they don't wanna deal with the hassle of saying "Hey, we lied, sorry," so they're just keeping it very quiet in the hopes that everyone gets distracted and forgets about it. PD handled the TMNT 3 situation the same way; never gonna happen, never WAS gonna happen, but better to let it quietly fade away rather than cause another poutfest by formally announcing "No, it's not happening". Everything Is Spin, remember.

Anyways: This new project supersedes the old one; PD is not doing another TMNT movie, and the CGI movie will kick off the new TMNT movie universe, and carry the torch for the brand until they think that they can actually make money with a "real" movie again. Which could be 10 years from now or never, we'll have to wait and see.

Literally the only "news" we've had in years about PD even wanting to do a third movie, reboot or otherwise, was Kevin Eastman saying "I totally swear, you guys!" And... well... c'mon, man, it's Kevin Eastman. The actual producers at PD said "No, we're not doing a third one" before the second one had been in theaters for even a week. Why anyone thought they'd change their minds has always baffled me; studios don't actually like losing money and they took a bath on the second one. Third one was ALWAYS wishful thinking, nothing more. Never even existed on paper. Total smoke.

As for this... they better hope more people show up this time than showed up in 2007, regardless of whether the movie is good or not. I get the feeling this is gonna be yet another rude awakening. Quality aside, I'm wondering how many times people are gonna need to be reminded that "TMNT isn't as popular as people think it is" before that actually sinks in. Last CGI movie sh*t the bed. If you're not Pixar, you're fighting an uphill battle in that space, and you have to fight with Disney. Do they have the legs for that? Disney goes out of their way to squash animated movies they're not involved with, and they tell the theaters what to do, so if Disney tells theaters to only run this thing twice a day, that's what they'll do, the thing won't make any money and then we're right back in the hole again.

Lot of odd choices here. I get why they think a CGI movie would be easier - or at least cheaper - than another live-action film, but in reality they might have just created an entirely new set of problems for themselves. First being, the general "CGI movies are not Real Movies" attitude - I don't agree with it exactly, but you can't deny it's a stigma that exists and is very prevalent - and Second being, Disney is a powerful enemy and now they're encroaching on "their" territory once again.

I'm not actually curious about the movie at all, I have a pretty good idea what it's gonna be, but I'm curious about the periphery. The Real Life stuff. Is it even gonna get a fair shake to succeed, regardless of quality? Will people even show up this time, when they didn't really bother for the last three TMNT movies (out of the 2007 movie, and the two PD ones, only the first PD movie really drew a dime, and not by much)? And if TMNT fans DON'T show up, what's the excuse gonna be THIS time?

Definitely gonna be interesting to see unfold from the Real Life perspective. Is this gonna be the first TMNT movie in 30 years to turn a real profit? Eeeeeehhhhhhh, I'm not sure I'd put money on it. But that's me. If they stayed home the last few times, I kinda think it's gonna be more of the same no matter what the movie itself turns out to be. It's just not a "blockbuster" property anymore and only really was for like two years forever ago. "Lightning in a bottle" and all that. But hey, we'll find out eventually. It's just gonna take a lot of luck and a few miracles, going solely on precedent.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 08:25 PM   #120
sdp
Megan Fox = April

The movie will be the direction that 2007 TMNT sequel with more jokes was going to be, it'll try to mimic Big Hero 6. It'll have a more cartoony look than say 2007/2012 designs, more pixar esque. It'll be aimed at a much younger audience than Out of the Shadows skewed. It'll be heavily inspired by Fred Wolf. It'll be more successful than the previous two movies.

The quicker you set your mind that this is what the project is going to be, the less disappointment you'll get when you see the designs and trailer eventually 2 years from today.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote