The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 12-22-2018, 01:09 AM   #1
Fishface
Foot Soldier

Why was Scrag demutated and remutated in within the same episode?

It has been a while since I have posted on this forum but I came back as a thought had struck my head.

Most of you guys have probably seen the 5th episode of the 87 series and remember Scrag's getting demutated, but later on, him and the rest of the punks are seen caged, with him being back in bat form.

Was his mutation only temporary or was he remutated? Any thoughts, theories or queries on this one guys?

P.S. Am I the only one who notices that he's a bat, and DOESN'T have wings? Same with the Lizard mutant, with the fact he doesn't even have a TAIL! Was this part of "Shredder perfecting their mutations?'
Fishface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 05:41 AM   #2
neatoman
Emperor

Because he didn't have a toy.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 02:16 PM   #3
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

I think the "other" scrag could've just been a different guy experimented upon using the same animal, or just re-mutated again.

Either way, never used by Shredder and Krang again.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 09:14 PM   #4
CyberCubed
Overlord

Scrag's only purpose was to show Shredder's Retro-mutagen gun worked and was the real deal, hence why the Turtles/Splinter went after it. That's it.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 09:27 PM   #5
sdp
Megan Fox = April

I've brought up the fact that we see all the other gang members mutated and Scrag as a mutant again in the episode on the drome many times but no one but me seems to care, so now it's two of us.

I believe my theory was also that he got mutated once again but the retromutagen gun being temporary works as a solution as well. We don't really know what happens to any of them, maybe they got rid of them or maybe even demutated them all (second time for scrag). Some of those designs are cooler than the average mad scientist of the week that plagued the first four seasons of the show so I don't know why they weren't used.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 09:52 PM   #6
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
I have this headcanon that Shredder was mutating people throughout the series, but was continually disappointed by what came of it, or else just eventually gave up after the frogs. I think he either killed all the rejects, or simply kicked them out, or they escaped. There could still be more mutants running loose in the city, or even hiding in the Technodrome itself....

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 04:02 AM   #7
pferreira
Foot Elite

I think I mentioned this elsewhere that they were probably part of failed experiments or maybe Shredder threw the rest of the gang away later on when he saw the mutations were unstable. The retro mutagen gun may not have worked properly and only temporarily did what it was supposed to do. In that case Splinter shouldn't of felt so bad.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 05:14 AM   #8
Fishface
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Scrag's only purpose was to show Shredder's Retro-mutagen gun worked and was the real deal, hence why the Turtles/Splinter went after it. That's it.
But doesn't that leave a hole in the whole concept of it? Why would Shredder make a retro-mutagen gun that is only for temporal use? Did he just forget that Scrag was only a temporal mutant when he tried demutating the turtles?
Fishface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 10:01 AM   #9
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishface View Post
But doesn't that leave a hole in the whole concept of it? Why would Shredder make a retro-mutagen gun that is only for temporal use? Did he just forget that Scrag was only a temporal mutant when he tried demutating the turtles?
The retro-mutagen gun is never implied to be only temporary. Scrag being demutated and then remutated was most likely an oversight by the animators, since we never see him again.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
Old 12-25-2018, 12:04 PM   #10
sdp
Megan Fox = April

But it happened so we need to come up with a in continuity explanation which are the ones being presented here. While we're at it in Turtles Forever we see human rocksteady and beebop as background characters, yikes! How do we explain that one?
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 01:15 PM   #11
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
But it happened so we need to come up with a in continuity explanation which are the ones being presented here. While we're at it in Turtles Forever we see human rocksteady and beebop as background characters, yikes! How do we explain that one?
Turtles Forever not canon to the OT.

DUN DUNN DUNNN

But on topic, I did offer two in canon explanations in my first post.

Old 01-02-2019, 07:51 AM   #12
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
since we never see him again.
But by that time, we never knew he wouldn't be back again (except Turtles Forever).
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 10:45 AM   #13
cammy85
Stone Warrior

It was to show off the potential of the Retromutagen ray to lure the Turtles and/or Splinter into a trap. Should Krang's new body fail, Shredder then had all those extra mutants to fall back on since Bebop and Rocksteady weren't seen again in Shredder and Splintered after being buried in cement. Had the series not been picked up for Season 2, there would be no need to suddenly have them back in the Technodrome in Dimension X in Return of the Shredder.
cammy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 11:06 AM   #14
Overlord

Bebop and Rocksteady

Quote:
Originally Posted by cammy85 View Post
It was to show off the potential of the Retromutagen ray to lure the Turtles and/or Splinter into a trap. Should Krang's new body fail, Shredder then had all those extra mutants to fall back on since Bebop and Rocksteady weren't seen again in Shredder and Splintered after being buried in cement. Had the series not been picked up for Season 2, there would be no need to suddenly have them back in the Technodrome in Dimension X in Return of the Shredder.
It's easy to imagine them returning back into the Technodrome before Donatello sends it to Dimension X, but the storyline would be better if it was something like:

Bebop and Rocksteady escape the cement, and return to the underground cavern where the Technodrome was, only to discover it gone. They hide in some house ready for demolition (banned by the authorities to live in). Finally in Return of the Shredder they encounter Shredder ending up on Earth, landing in the New York City Central Park.
Old 01-25-2019, 03:30 PM   #15
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:

DUN DUNN DUNNN
I like your thinking.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 04:10 AM   #16
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishface View Post
Why would Shredder make a retro-mutagen gun that is only for temporal use?
To trick Splinter and the turtles to come into the Technodrome?
Old 01-31-2019, 08:20 AM   #17
The Great Saiyaman
Stone Warrior

Quote:

DUN DUNN DUNNN

But on topic, I did offer two in canon explanations in my first post.
I totally agree, "Turtles Forever" isn't canon and the eighties turtles were never so badly misrepresented as they were in TF. I mean crying on the shoulders of their 2003 counterparts, what were the producers THINKING?

At least their appearance in the "Trans dimensional Turtles" episode of the 2012 series made up for everything. They behaved in character and were voiced by the actual voice actors.
Old 01-31-2019, 10:15 AM   #18
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Saiyaman View Post
were voiced by the actual voice actors.
They weren't always even in the original series, and that didn't prevent those episodes from being canon.
Old 01-31-2019, 01:50 PM   #19
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Saiyaman View Post
I mean crying on the shoulders of their 2003 counterparts, what were the producers THINKING?
What they were thinking? Well, put yourself into this mindset:

You didn't grow up with the Fred Wolf show. In fact, you might have already been an adult when it first aired. You have spent the last few years adapting the comic series to the best of your abilities. Then you're tasked to do a crossover with an earlier attempt to make a cartoon out of it, so you sit and watch a few episodes of that. What are you going to see?

You'll see it for what it is, a clumsy piece of fluff that's both poorly animated and hastily written. Why would that be worth anything else but mockery?
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 04:18 PM   #20
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
What they were thinking? Well, put yourself into this mindset:

You didn't grow up with the Fred Wolf show. In fact, you might have already been an adult when it first aired. You have spent the last few years adapting the comic series to the best of your abilities. Then you're tasked to do a crossover with an earlier attempt to make a cartoon out of it, so you sit and watch a few episodes of that. What are you going to see?

You'll see it for what it is, a clumsy piece of fluff that's both poorly animated and hastily written. Why would that be worth anything else but mockery?
Interestingly, it does seem that when working on portraying the world of the 80s cartoon universe, the writers of Turtles Forever took most of their inspiration from season one, which many people consider to be objectively superior to many other seasons. For example:

1. Leonardo and Rocksteady have deeper voices akin to their season 1 appearances.

2. Krang frequently croaks/burps, which he almost never did past season 1.

3. The entire Ninja Pizzeria district can be seen in the 80s universe, only appearing in episode 1 of that show.

4. Many specific lines which are lifted directly from season 1: "You have a mind like a steel trap".