The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Current Events

Notices

Old 12-16-2018, 04:16 AM   #1
Prowler
Emperor

So, 2018 is almost over...

Another year is coming to an end. We'll be entering 2019 in less than 3 weeks and we'll thus be getting very close the end of the current decade. Also, 2030 is closer nowadays than 2000 is. Crazy, huh?

It's not over yet, but how has 2018 been for you on a personal level? It's been an average year for me. Much better than 2017, but not as fun or memorable as 2015 and 2016 were.
I've turned 28 this year and thus am officially in my late 20s and getting ready to enter my 30s. Strange to think about it.

I travelled by airplane again for the first time since 2005 this year. That was cool.

Now, as for the world... well yeah politics and conflicts as usual. I'd rather not waste energy dissecting this now.

In the video game industry there's lots of interesting stuff happening, especially regarding the Nintendo Switch. But I won't buy it this year yet. It's pricey!

There was a World Cup this year. Those are always memorable, but Portugal didn't impress much.

Another thing to note is how hot the weather was this year. Hottest summer ever where live with temperatures reaching and surpassing 40C! And we even had a hurricane in our country for the first time ever. Ouch!

2018 has felt like a transitional year for me personally and for a lot of things I see around me. I dunno if I'll remember this year much in the future.

I'm ready to say goodbye to 2018 and welcoming 2019, to be honest. Even if 2018 wasn't a bad year for me.

What about you? How would you sum up 2018?
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 04:29 AM   #2
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post

What about you? How would you sum up 2018?
Stan Lee is dead, Steve Ditko is dead, Harlan Ellison is dead, Burt Reynolds is dead, Stephen Hillenburg is dead, Mort Walker is dead.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 04:34 AM   #3
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Stan Lee is dead, Steve Ditko is dead, Harlan Ellison is dead, Burt Reynolds is dead, Stephen Hillenburg is dead, Mort Walker is dead.
Well, I didn't know half those names until they died and I haven't really watched or read anything they worked on, so to me their deaths didn't hit me hard like they did to some other people. So I can' say those are the first things I think of when I think of 2018.

Anthony Bourdain's death was kind of sad and shocking, though.
Old 12-16-2018, 04:40 AM   #4
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

My daughter stopped being wowed with little kid things and now says things like, "I'm not naive anymore, Dad!" Sad! Shot another movie. Had (have) the pleasure of seeing another TMNT book come together. Helped a couple of friends in some dark times of theirs. Celebrated with some friends in their really good times. Beyond that, sort of a deep disappointment in our cultural now that I try not to think about too much beyond punchy debate/discussion.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 04:43 AM   #5
Vegita-San
Emperor

nephew got born and i seem to be one of his favorite people. other than that, same old can't get ahead in life crap.

'Wrong, April. We've Been upgraded to Women hating TROLLS'

?The force is not female, the force is not male, the force is for everyone?
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 05:33 AM   #6
Leo656
The Franchise

They're all mostly the same once you hit a certain age.

Work-wise, it's gone well. I'd have to look at my statements, but I may have earned more money this year than ever; still far from rich, but I cashed some of my biggest checks ever this year. And, almost 8 years with the same employer is apparently a fairly big deal nowadays.

Wrestling-wise, it's whatever. The group I'm with now seems to like me a lot, but it's a small crew and likely to stay that way. I have nuclear, "If I ever see you again I'm gonna curb-stomp you in front of your kids" heat with a few guys I used to work with, so I purposely removed myself from working at several places, because the fake-ass rasslin' business isn't worth me going to jail over. Shame, because I used to make good money in a few of those towns, but it just isn't worth it. I'm retiring soon, so f*ck 'em. Life gets really simple once you realize you don't HAVE to be around people you don't get along with.

Health-wise, it's okay. Neck is shot. Fusion surgery is a possibility, it sounds like. Not looking forward to that, but at least it's not a "right now" concern. Still, that was probably the lowlight of my year.

After 10 years I finally cleared out my storage unit at the warehouse I used to work, which is good in that I finally have all my stuff in one place again, including that massive beast of a comic book collection, but going through it all has been a huge chore. I was finally able to start working on a home library and getting everything organized the way I want it, though, so that's good.

I think the best part of 2018 was all the video game time I got in. Gaming is one of the most important things in my life, and this year I got a ton of stuff done. The first half, I mostly focused on playing stuff I'd never played before, and a few things I hadn't played in forever. End of Summer, I got addicted to Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker, which pushed me to finally get around to the "play the entire series in story order" run I've been talking about doing for years. That's probably going to take me well into January, at this rate, but that's fine.

It's been what it's been. Definitely eventful. As I was saying to one of my clients today, time seems to fly by very fast, until you look back and realize everything that happened in between. For me, it was a decent year. I mostly judge how "good" a year was by the size of my paychecks, so this one was nothing to complain about. Hopefully that continues into 2019.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 05:42 AM   #7
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Barely got anywhere with the degree I got last year, nor had any success finding work anywhere.

But, I at least started something with my internship in Ohio.

Also, two of my cats died.

I did have a dating relationship end for the better though. We're still friends, but we were no longer in a position where dating was a good idea, especially for his mental health.
Old 12-16-2018, 08:05 AM   #8
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post

I did have a dating relationship end for the better though. We're still friends, but we were no longer in a position where dating was a good idea, especially for his mental health.
I'm still friends with the person I think got away. Sadly we just met too early in life and I don't think she was ready for the dating world early in high school, and was just humoring me along, heh. figures though. at least three other people in HS found life long partners and are still together this day. Just my luck it didn't work out the same way Now she's married with two kids and i'm still single cause i don't get out enough to meet people out of their job...

sigh.

Old 12-16-2018, 08:11 AM   #9
ZariusTwo
Overlord

I'm still friends with someone I tried to ask out a couple of years ago, she turned me down, but with the way we interact and get on we might as well be married

As for 2018...nice enough year, though I don't get out half as much as I used to due to ever amounting anxiety issues. Dan Slott no longer writes Spider-Man (thank god), Nick Spencer salvaged ASM and redeemed himself for Secret Empire, Doctor Who managed to not be as bad as people claim, but was still offensively problematic and mediocre.

Harlan Ellison, wrestler Vader, Stan and Ditko all dying was the bummer. Bendis taking over Superman had the usual rollercoaster results but I've found myself liking it more than others.

Wrestling took it's biggest nosedive in recent memory this year in terms of ratings and overall product, with the mayhem peaking with the disastrous Crown Jewel promotion and Roman Reigns receiving cancer for all his hard work. Aquaman was a solid film. Spidergeddon hasn't been half as depressing as Spider-Verse (the comic, not the movie) was. Brexit still hangs over our heads and we nearly lost our Prime Minister this week in a no-confidence vote.

Last edited by ZariusTwo; 12-16-2018 at 08:19 AM.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 08:21 AM   #10
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
I'm still friends with someone I tried to ask out a couple of years ago, she turned me down, but with the way we interact and get on we might as well be married .
that's kind of how mine goes too. we even like the same things and think the same damn way. hence why I Think she's the one that got away, if I ever had a chance in the first place heh.

Old 12-16-2018, 08:23 AM   #11
Leo656
The Franchise

Smart people stay single anyway. You're fine, guys.

A relationship is an expectation society implants into you. It is by no means a prerequisite for happiness. After a very short time, all relationships devolve into a simple arrangement of convenience, with two mostly-content people nonetheless sacrificing huge chunks of their own individual happiness because of what's "easiest" for everyone. And often, that breeds long-term resentment anyway. Most long-term "successful" relationships are just two people who can barely stand each other, but don't want the hassle of dividing possessions or struggling to pay bills on their own. It's a pragmatic exercise in tolerance, at that point. Definitely not "love" or romance.

If you're surviving just fine on your own, your safest bet is to keep it that way. Especially if you're a dude; you have NO IDEA what chicks are capable of post-menopause. I've seen and heard horrific things from friends and family who never saw it coming, but all had the same refrain: "I never should have gotten involved."

Relationships, to me, are like smoking. It's a personal choice that will do very little good in the long run, but will take years off your life and leave you broke. And in both cases, most people will swear they never should have started in the first place. So, that seems like all around good advice.

Meanwhile, yes, I've been with the same person for almost 19 years; sew that into whatever you like.

Anyways, don't sweat it, man. If nothing else, your money and your time is yours alone. Call that a huge win.
---------------

Zarius: How DARE you imply wrestling isn't at a huge peak. Don't you listen to Stephanie? WOMEN'S REVOLUTION! Things are better than ever, you sexist pig!

No, yeah, they've been sh*t for decades. I haven't watched hardly anything, but it sure sounded like a lousy year.
-------------------

EDIT: I guess I should mention, "2018 was the year I finally came back to this forum after much pleading from many people, only to be thoroughly reminded why I left in the first place."

Feel free to pour extra champagne for New Years; I promise, you won't be seeing much of me in 2019. Good for all of us.

Last edited by Leo656; 12-16-2018 at 08:29 AM.
Old 12-16-2018, 08:51 AM   #12
Powder
So tired of this place

Bretty gud.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 09:22 AM   #13
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
They're all mostly the same once you hit a certain age.
Yeah, I've been noticed that since the end of university. Well, been kinda feeling that since I finished HS, actually. Once you become an adult, the years slowly begin blurring in together. But no longer dividing years by school years is kinda strange to adjust to at first. I can still divide them into football seasons, though, since they start in late August in most of Europe and end in May.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
I'm still friends with someone I tried to ask out a couple of years ago, she turned me down, but with the way we interact and get on we might as well be married

As for 2018...nice enough year, though I don't get out half as much as I used to due to ever amounting anxiety issues. Dan Slott no longer writes Spider-Man (thank god), Nick Spencer salvaged ASM and redeemed himself for Secret Empire, Doctor Who managed to not be as bad as people claim, but was still offensively problematic and mediocre.

Harlan Ellison, wrestler Vader, Stan and Ditko all dying was the bummer. Bendis taking over Superman had the usual rollercoaster results but I've found myself liking it more than others.

Wrestling took it's biggest nosedive in recent memory this year in terms of ratings and overall product, with the mayhem peaking with the disastrous Crown Jewel promotion and Roman Reigns receiving cancer for all his hard work. Aquaman was a solid film. Spidergeddon hasn't been half as depressing as Spider-Verse (the comic, not the movie) was. Brexit still hangs over our heads and we nearly lost our Prime Minister this week in a no-confidence vote.
I thought Vader had forgotten Vader died this year and not last year.
Old 12-16-2018, 09:39 AM   #14
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Smart people stay single anyway. You're fine, guys.
maybe, but it sure gets boring having no one to do anything with. would love to see rob paulsen in ny heh.

Old 12-16-2018, 09:50 AM   #15
Leo656
The Franchise

Is it a genuine transportation problem? Or more of a, "This would be more fun with someone else?" kinda thing?

Take it from a certified Old Goat: The latter isn't true. My photo albums are FULL of pictures of me having some terrific experiences, in which my biggest regret is that I'm not the only one in the picture. Lots of people I haven't talked to in years and never will again, hopefully, and while I'm still glad I went to those places and did those things, the fact I had to share them taints those memories pretty thoroughly.

I've said this before, but it bears repeating: You can't live for other people, or depend on them to make you happy. Not friends, relatives, relationship partners, whatever. Your happiness is all on you. All others betray. If you wanna go somewhere or do something, then find a way. But don't depend on someone else to facilitate it, because they may not, and don't count on having someone to share the experience with making it "better", because after that person's not in your life anymore, you're not even gonna be able to enjoy the memory.

Just worry about yourself. That's the single best bit of advice anyone can ever get.

Old 12-16-2018, 10:03 AM   #16
Prowler
Emperor

I'd say it depends. There's definitely tons of unhappy people together just because they're either os used to it by now or because they just can't bear the thought of being alone.

Human beings are social creatures by nature and it makes sense for them to search for partners to mate and share life with. But a lot of people get into relationships for wrong reasons and it's no wonder most relationships fail. Plus, tons of people fall in love with each other when they're very young. There's a reason why most HS couples don't last very long. Also, if you meet your bf/gf when you're both 20 and start dating... from then to your 30s-40s you can both change a lot as can your lives, and who knows if by then you still love each other. I'd not be surprised if this was the cause of many breakups as well. A 20 and a 35-40 year old are rather different in terms of goals and personalities and priorities, and it's possible you might grow up to realise you've been with the wrong person. Otherwise divorce rates wouldn't be so high in industrialised nations nowadays.

I obviously can't tell by the couples I know and see outside if they're 100% happy or to what extent they fight, since they obviously don't share those relationship road bumps on FB.

Back to the "wrong reasons to get into relationships" bit, honestly I think it's mostly about the sex for younger people. If humans generally didn't enjoy kissing and having sex nearly no one would get in romantic relationships.There's a reason why we notice someone's physical appearance at first before noticing their personality flaws. Once a relationship gets past the honey moon phase that's when the problems begin and suddenly, your gf being hot as hell with a firm ass and a pair of tig ol' bitties isn't good enough to prevent arguments with her anymore.

The spark just disappears often in relationships beyond a certain point, I guess. I do wonder how much long term couples have to argue about and how much of their egos they need to put aside in order to make decades long relationships work.
Old 12-16-2018, 10:16 AM   #17
Leo656
The Franchise

Either way, if "I'm single" is the biggest "problem" in someone's life, that person needs better priorities. If everything else is where it should be, then just be happy you're winning.

I tell people this a lot, but they mostly don't listen. Putting one's own self-interest ahead of all else is the simplest and cleanest path to happiness. Waiting for friends, family, and/or a relationship partner to be your "missing piece" is indicative of a much larger problem, usually that being the person doesn't love themselves enough.

To that I say, a little narcissism goes a long way, and once you truly love yourself, you don't need anyone else. The rest takes care of itself.

I'd like to see more people happy, which is why I'd also like to see them pine over relationships less. If the rent's paid and you're eating well, it doesn't matter if you're doing it alone, you're ahead of a lot of folks. Just be glad.

Old 12-16-2018, 10:23 AM   #18
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Either way, if "I'm single" is the biggest "problem" in someone's life, that person needs better priorities. If everything else is where it should be, then just be happy you're winning.

I tell people this a lot, but they mostly don't listen. Putting one's own self-interest ahead of all else is the simplest and cleanest path to happiness. Waiting for friends, family, and/or a relationship partner to be your "missing piece" is indicative of a much larger problem, usually that being the person doesn't love themselves enough.

To that I say, a little narcissism goes a long way, and once you truly love yourself, you don't need anyone else. The rest takes care of itself.

I'd like to see more people happy, which is why I'd also like to see them pine over relationships less. If the rent's paid and you're eating well, it doesn't matter if you're doing it alone, you're ahead of a lot of folks. Just be glad.
Oh yeah, that I agree with. I dunno why so many people feel sorry for single people, tbh. And I notice a lot people think that being single is only good if you're having one night stands and having short-lived hookups on a regular basis.

I might feel a bit envious if I see a former classmate or a friend in a happy relationship... but once babies start popping out I suddenly stop being envious and consider myself fortunate for not being a father
Old 12-16-2018, 10:23 AM   #19
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Lot's of change, not all goals were met but plenty others were. Can't wait to see what 2019 brings but I already loaded it up with stuff to make the most out of it and not let it go to waste! I learned a few years ago that by setting up the things you want to achieve each year you end up doing more than if you don't, even if you don't get to them all, it's really made each year be more rewarding at the end of it.

Last edited by sdp; 12-16-2018 at 10:32 AM.
sdp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 10:43 AM   #20
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Middle of the road. Better than some, no worse than others.

Only real main event in it is the loss of a job (and getting to see what dealing with a store liquidation is like -- never again) and the fortune of finding another pretty quickly; one that I actually largely like and had originally tried to get (but didn't) back in 2015. So I'm grateful that it not only worked out this time, but, since I'm a vendor/retail merchandiser for a company and openings are limited, the timing of an position being available close to home (which is kind of required) sort of made it meant to be. And I don't normally luck out like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
getting very close the end of the current decade.
This hurts in an increased way more than most of you can understand. Unless you're at least in your 20s and your current age also happens to end with a 9. The end of a personal decade.

No, I'm not ready for 2018 to end... Will cling tooth and nail to its every last second...and then the first roughly 111 days of 2019. lol

Last edited by IndigoErth; 12-16-2018 at 10:49 AM.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote