The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Video Game Discussion

Notices

Old 01-28-2014, 07:05 PM   #1
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Why Was Bebop Absent From Hyperstone Heist?

The only time Bebop and Rocksteady are separate is in Hyperstone Hesit where only Rocksteady appears, as the second of six bosses. Yet Bebop is nowhere to be seen despite the rest of his usual group being present in the game. Was it ever revealed how one half of the inseperable mutant punks got left out of the game? Does it singel handedly make Rocksteady slightly more important?
Old 01-28-2014, 07:40 PM   #2
Ninjinister
無問題

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
The only time Bebop and Rocksteady are separate is in Hyperstone Hesit where only Rocksteady appears, as the second of six bosses. Yet Bebop is nowhere to be seen despite the rest of his usual group being present in the game. Was it ever revealed how one half of the inseperable mutant punks got left out of the game? Does it singel handedly make Rocksteady slightly more important?
I'm pretty sure that there's no way to find out any of the "why" in those old Konami games. You'd have to track down someone in charge of those installments and that's a chore in and of itself.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:03 PM   #3
CyberCubed
Overlord

Probably the same reason they rehashed the human Baxter boss from the NES version of TMNT II instead of including fly-Baxter.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 12:52 AM   #4
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

He had a sick day
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 12:22 AM   #5
CyberCubed
Overlord

Hyperstone heist had the weirdest boss roster ever.

Rocksteady, Human Baxter, Leatherhead, Tatsu, and then Shredder/Krang?

Leatherhead and Shredder/Krang were rehashes of the Turtles in Time boss fights....but why human Baxter and no fly-Baxter? Why no Bebop? How on earth did Tatsu of all characters get in there?

It's like whoever made that boss roster randomly threw darts at a board or pulled names out of a hat.
Old 01-30-2014, 05:03 AM   #6
Whatswiththeheadbands?
The Weed of Crime

He was on Holiday.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:58 AM   #7
pferreira
Foot Elite

Maybe they forgot Bebop and when the developers found out it was too late?
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 04:51 PM   #8
DonatelloDomeHead31
Stone Warrior

I find it interesting that Tatsu was in that one representing Turtles 1 & Turtles II. Whereas in Turtles in Time, the movie villians were Tokka & Rahzar from ninja turtles II.

Movie tie-ins in the games were nice, but it would have been a little better to even it out.

Donatello: Pork rind.
Donatello: Yeah, a few inquiries.
Donatello: Turtles don't migrate, Raph. Birds do!
Donatello: Have you seen the way this guy drives?
Donatello: 0.00000003%!
Donatello: I don't know, but it doesn't look good...
DonatelloDomeHead31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 05:34 PM   #9
miru
Mad Scientist

Perhaps they had plans for a Turbograx-16 TMNT game that only had Bebop without Rocksteady, but the game was never made?
Old 02-03-2014, 06:17 PM   #10
oldmanwinters
Overlord

For as many hours as I enjoyed on Hyperstone, I hate that it feels so rushed together and unfinished. It's more like a "greatest hits" compilation of TMNT beat em' up elements than an original game.

But the Tatsu fight is pretty swell. Imagine how cool the game could have been if they had put more thought into the storyline of the game and added some very original boss battles.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 06:43 PM   #11
CyberCubed
Overlord

I wish Tatsu, and his whole Japan level, was in Turtles in Time instead. That was the only aspect of Hyperstone Heist that was unique.

Turtles going to ancient Japan would have fit in next to the Pirate Ship and Train level.
Old 02-03-2014, 06:58 PM   #12
Ninjinister
無問題

Quote:
Originally Posted by miru View Post
Perhaps they had plans for a Turbograx-16 TMNT game that only had Bebop without Rocksteady, but the game was never made?
Wait how does this make any logical sense?
Old 02-03-2014, 09:34 PM   #13
snake
Disgusting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinister View Post
Wait how does this make any logical sense?
It's Miru logic. Don't question it.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 10:41 AM   #14
Refractive Reflections
Mad Scientist

Maybe... This is just a maybe now **shrug**... It could have been just a quick, and cheap way to save memory on the Sega Genesis cartridge by using the same Rocksteady sprite rather than having a whole new Bebop sprite. The Hyperstone Heist video and audio quality was significantly scaled back from the arcade version, compared to the smaller reduction of quality with the Turtles in Time conversion for the SNES.

If they included Bebop, maybe some other aspect of the game's quality would have had to be removed possibly. Sega Genesis was already in second place in terms of being the latest gaming console after the SNES arrived on the scene in 1991 in North America. (The same year the second TMNT arcade game was released.) With SNES boasting the latest graphics and audio quality (even advertising how similar the SNES game was to the arcade graphics), and Turtlemania sales being so lucrative, maybe the poorly developed Hyperstone Heist characters and "rushed" gameplay as some have mentioned, was part of the sacrifice to maintain a comparable game (Hyperstone Heist) to SNES' Turtles in Time.

Just a thought, but don't know how accurate it could be.
Refractive Reflections is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 10:57 AM   #15
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

5 levels opposed to 8 and reusing the same villian character sprites from previous games with Tatsu oddly created for the game despite the other sprites being recycled. The question then is why ise Rocksteady over Bebop and not the other way around or use another character than Rocksteady? I am asking this out of curosity not compliant.
Old 05-03-2014, 11:20 AM   #16
Refractive Reflections
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
5 levels opposed to 8 and reusing the same villian character sprites from previous games with Tatsu oddly created for the game despite the other sprites being recycled. The question then is why ise Rocksteady over Bebop and not the other way around or use another character than Rocksteady? I am asking this out of curosity not compliant.
Meh, I was just throwing an idea out there.
...who knows, I guess maybe they wanted to have a somewhat different storyline rather than having one too similar to Turtles in Time (which would have made their Sega version be quickly seen as the inferior one) while at the same time, from a cost-cutting measure (since they had already extensively developed the visuals for Turtles in Time), adding just the minimal amount of newly created elements (i.e. Tatsu and the Shredder hideout backgrounds) to further help separate the games' storylines.

One thing I always find funny is in the Hyperstone Heist introduction, if you compare the Shredder and Turtles versus their SNES counterparts, the Sega version depicts them being so extremely cut and muscle defined (as with the Turtles' eyes looking more aggressive) to give the visually badder "edge" over the SNES intro.
...Typical Sega promotion to make their console and games have a more mature, "edgier" feel.

Last edited by Refractive Reflections; 05-03-2014 at 11:30 AM.
Refractive Reflections is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bebop