The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 01-28-2015, 06:54 AM   #21
Shred Head
Hench Mutant

Not everything needs a reboot or sequel over twenty or thirty years later. I have seen Hollywood do some stupid **** but this doesn't just cross the line it throws up on it.

"Cold steel meets hot flesh! Thats why they call me Slash!"
Shred Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 08:11 AM   #22
DarthRaphael

We all know why Hollywood does reboots, etc. No original ideas and they hope to ride the coattails of the originals to success. For me to enjoy this there will need to be some good writing. On the positive side it will be interesting to see how the story works with a female cast.

I edit your posts
DarthRaphael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 09:09 AM   #23
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Plot details about the new Ghostbusters movie, Its a remake and not a reboot or sequel. Plus Sony wants Bill Murray and Peter Dinklage as Villains.
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansit...news/?a=114452

Quote:
+Kristen Wiig is playing Erin Garber, a published author on the subject of the paranormal. Erin now works for Columbia University.

+Leslie Jones is playing Abby Bergman, who co-authored the book with Garber. Since publication, the two former colleagues had a falling out and went their separate ways. Abby more actively chases ghost a la Ghost Hunters. This tension between academic investigation (Wiig's character) and mainstream media investigation (Jones' character) is central to the story.

+Kate McKinnon is playing Abby Berman's new partner, Jillian.

+Melissa McCarthy is playing Patty, an NYC subway worker who stumbles across the main, supernatural threat in the film.

+Sony wants Peter Dinklage to play the main villain in the film. Whether this role is as a ghost or human is unclear.

+Sony also wants Bill Murray to play a character named Martin Heiss, a man who is "a professional supernatural debunker who is out to prove that the Ghostbusters are frauds."
Old 01-28-2015, 09:56 AM   #24
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

A female version? The daughters of the group? I don't like the casting either. I think I will stick with the idea of not trying to rework a classic or make poorly made sequels. I will give it a pass and be the proud owner of Ghostbusters 1 & 2 DVD boxset. I thought the biggest problem the films would ever see is Weaver's character married someone else and had a kid.
Old 01-28-2015, 10:23 AM   #25
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

No matter how good this movie is, it won't come anywhere NEAR as close to being as entertaining as watching the impotent fanboy rage explode online.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 10:38 AM   #26
pingclang
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
No matter how good this movie is, it won't come anywhere NEAR as close to being as entertaining as watching the impotent fanboy rage explode online.
It's been pretty thrilling so far. Comicvine and comicbookresources are pretty entertaining already.
pingclang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 10:52 AM   #27
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

I'd be pretty pissed if Bill Murray ends up doing this remake movie after dicking around with a 3rd Ghostbusters for years. He was always the main holdup in moving forward with a 3rd one.
NinjaPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 11:19 AM   #28
Peanut
Second Gear

Quote:
This kind of thing is always incredibly delicious.
Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 12:57 PM   #29
BabyTurtles
Foot Elite

Quote:
lol XD I agree.

Usually all the rage annoys me, but I learned to just sit back and let it roll.

I'm not bothered by the cast choices cause I don't know much about ghostbusters XD I'm sure if it was something I knew and loved I'd be upset too.

but it's always fun to see something different ya know?

Last edited by BabyTurtles; 01-28-2015 at 02:15 PM.
BabyTurtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 03:11 PM   #30
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Regarding the casting and Ghostbuster 1 reference.
Old 01-28-2015, 04:57 PM   #31
LeoRaph
Hench Mutant

The All Female cast isn't a problem, it's the fact they are doing an all female cast for the sake of an all female cast with an original classic which to me IS the reason it will fail. It's the equivalent of having an all female TMNT just 'because' with Leanne, Rachel, Michelle and Donna but hey they're NOT based on the originals in any way at all...

Then you have the fact that they are trying to reboot with 'original' characters who are NOT loosely based on Ray, Peter, Egon and Winston which is hard to believe because they have a cast which matches the original 'race ratio' already. They could have really mixed things up with maybe Asian, Hispanic, White, Black Actors or whatever works but the EXACT same Race Ratio, no not buying it. Whether they like it or not they will be forever in the shadows of the original cast which was one of those chemistry things that just worked. They weren't trying to make a timeless classic or recreate something they were simply trying to make an entertaining movie about something they were interested in, namely Dan Aykroyd having genuine interest in paranormal things where the humour just naturally happened.

Who know this could succeed but they just have too many things stacked against them. I think If they even mixed the cast up 2 male 2 female with races that ACTUALLY represent modern times that could work but it really feels like it's a 'just because' type thing with an original timeless comedy classic.
LeoRaph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 05:03 PM   #32
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoRaph View Post
The All Female cast isn't a problem, it's the fact they are doing an all female cast for the sake of an all female cast with an original classic which to me IS the reason it will fail. It's the equivalent of having an all female TMNT just 'because' with Leanne, Rachel, Michelle and Donna but hey they're NOT based on the originals in any way at all...
That's one the biggest issues I have with this movie. I'm not against the idea of female Ghostbusters, but why does the team have to consist solely of females? Why not just throw in at least 2-3 guys into the mix?

TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 05:13 PM   #33
snake
Disgusting

I'm gonna bet were going to see the same characters but female and named differently.

If I'm wrong and they DO have different personalites, I'll be pretty happy.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 05:22 PM   #34
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake View Post

If I'm wrong and they DO have different personalites, I'll be pretty happy.
You say that now, but wait until Melissa McCarthy does the same schtick she's been doing for her last few movies. You'll wish she was just a female Egon.
Old 01-28-2015, 05:59 PM   #35
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

Quote:
Well, let's say this Twinkie represents the normal amount of butthurt on the internet...
Old 01-28-2015, 06:12 PM   #36
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaPug View Post
I'd be pretty pissed if Bill Murray ends up doing this remake movie after dicking around with a 3rd Ghostbusters for years. He was always the main holdup in moving forward with a 3rd one.
!!!

Same here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthRaphael View Post
We all know why Hollywood does reboots, etc. No original ideas and they hope to ride the coattails of the originals to success. For me to enjoy this there will need to be some good writing. On the positive side it will be interesting to see how the story works with a female cast.
Perhaps I'm being closed minded or counter creative, but Ghostbusters just isn't something you reboot. Pretty much everything GB related has been in continuity with (or at least branched out from) the first movie. It's not like turtles or Batman.

I understood that they were gonna get some contemporary stars to be in GB3, but it woulda been cool seeing Egon, Winston, Ray and Pete handing over the reins, but now...

What the **** ever. I literally don't care. At this point I'm just happy they won't make a GB3 that contradicts the IDW comics (which now includes the Turtles )
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 06:17 PM   #37
Peanut
Second Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProactiveMan View Post
Well, let's say this Twinkie represents the normal amount of butthurt on the internet...
Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 07:41 PM   #38
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProactiveMan View Post
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 08:41 PM   #39
Leo656
The Franchise

So for over 20 years they couldn't get the "real" movie made, so it's time for "Screw it, Gimmick Reboot". Never mind that every single attempt to relaunch, revamp, or otherwise make the franchise relevant to a mass audience again after 1990 has been an abysmal failure.

Few things in life meant as much to me growing up as Ghsotbusters, so I'm pretty hurt by this. I know I'm a cynic, but I'm really upset by how quickly this thing got fast-tracked before Ramis's body was even cold. For the longest time, the desire among the original crew to "Do It Right Or Not At All" was the biggest obstacle. Then, when one of the co-creators dies, suddenly everything is a "Go" right away. It's like, "WHEW, now that we got THAT guy out of the way, let's get this POS rolling! Anybody got that fat, goofy broad's phone number?" In fact, the fact one of the main people behind it is gone means it's much more appropriate and respectful to never touch it again. But, of course, that's never how Hollywood works.

It's going to be SO horrible. Nothing will erase the first movie or the second (which was pretty derivative but I still like it), but it's going to be frustrating having this turd stapled onto an otherwise-mostly-stellar franchise. "But all franchises that last a while have their fair share of garbage!" Yeah, still no excuse.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 08:55 PM   #40
snake
Disgusting

I really have a feeling this will be forgotten or looked upon as "Oh, THAT one". Like that made for tv Xmen movie.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
progress, toxic masculinity