The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 10-06-2020, 08:13 PM   #1
neatoman
Emperor

Star Fox / Dinosaur Planet

Found out a ton of information about Dinosaur Planet, the game that became Star Fox Adventures, floating around on the internet. Most notably this series of voice recordings, which oddly enough refers both to Fox and the character he replaced, so it's either a mix of recordings from different points in development or from a version where Fox was added in without many other changes. From what I can tell, the most notable differences is that Krystal and Scales would have been more active, more characters would have been running around, the Krazoa would have been less ambigious and that random cyborg dragon boss towards the end would have been the secret villain instead of Andross. Beyond that though, the world and tasks seems like they would have been mostly the same, it's really just the story that was tweaked to make sense as part of Star Fox in the final game. Even if doesn't seem all that different, one might still wonder what might have been. Maybe Nintendo should call up Playtonic and ask them to do a remake?

Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 08:34 PM   #2
Leo656
The Franchise

I still haven't played that one yet, but I probably will soon since I've been playing the "real" Star Fox games.

I expect to like it fine. A lot of people sh*t on it for being retrofitted into a Star Fox joint rather than an original IP thanks to Miyamoto flexing on Rare, but who can even say "Dinosaur Planet" would have gotten over, anyway? Rare didn't exactly hit a lot of home runs after they got out from under Nintendo, anyhow. I think almost 20 years later that whole mess is a dead conversation. My gut tells me that it all probably worked out for the best.

As Zelda rip-offs go, it's supposed to be one of the better ones. So I look forward to checking it out. I've just been lazy. But I'm certainly more inclined now than I've been in a while.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 08:57 PM   #3
neatoman
Emperor

I replayed Star Fox Adventures recently, which is why I went ahead and looked up Dinosaur Planet stuff. It's not a bad game, there is plenty of fun stuff in there and nothing can really be be called broken.

The main issue, aside from just stuffing Fox into a game he was clearly never meant to be a part of, is that there seems to be a lot of beta elements left around. Texts tend to use a placeholder fonts, the character models for Peppy and Slippy don't look right (thank god they're barely in the game), some events are triggered even after they wouldn't logically happen anymore, some challenges are either too easy or slightly too hard, sometimes it feels like there's a missing cutscene, the money (though mostly unused) is obtained in an unbalanced way, etc.

There's nothing that is so bad it spoils the funs, but it's obvious the presentation needed a bit of work.

As for why Rare sucked under Microsoft, from what I understand, Microsoft expected games to be made way faster than Nintendo and as such they were rushed a lot more under Microsoft.
Hahahaha!
Old 10-06-2020, 09:08 PM   #4
Leo656
The Franchise

I can buy that.

I remember SFA getting really good reviews when it came out, with the asterisk next to it stating "Keep in mind, folks, that it's not a 'real' Star Fox game." And then over time, the "asterisk" overtook the entire conversation and now it's commonly dismissed as a "bad game". I haven't played it yet, but following the conversation over the years that always seemed weird to me. Happens with a lot of things, but it often befuddles me.

Can't be too bad if it gave the world Krystal, right...?

Old 10-07-2020, 07:32 AM   #5
neatoman
Emperor

Considering only two Star Fox games were released before Adventures, one might raise a few eyebrows over the sudden shift in gameplay and setting. If there's suddenly a Mario game that is an RTS or something, I don't think anyone would care given how many "normal" Mario games there are.

... Then again, Mario and Star Fox might both be bad examples. The international version of Super Mario Bros 2 is a huge departure from Super Mario Bros 1 (and the backstory to that isn't too dissimilar to Dinosaur Planet and Star Fox Adventures). Hell, Super Mario Bros 1 is itself a noticeable departure from Donkey Kong and Mario Bros. And on the topic of Star Fox, Assualt, Command and Zero all make some clear changes as well.
Hahahaha!
Old 10-07-2020, 02:22 PM   #6
sdp
Megan Fox = April

I would've loved to have played the N64 version, it was Rare as they were falling from their peak but were still very solid and I would've loved to have seen their Zelda clone. You can see plenty of cut content of N64 dinosaur planet on youtube. From what I read plenty was cut and retooled to have Fox make sense so I do think a tighter game would've released on the N64 since it was nearly finished.
Changing it to game cube and adding fox and rushing it to release it before the buyout really hurt the game. Star Fox Adventures was ok but you could tell it was rushed, it looks great, some parts are great fun, the collectathon aspect is annoying and by the time it released too much, had it been out before it would've been considered a classic for N64 instead of a blacksheep of the star fox games.
sdp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 02:32 PM   #7
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

I don't understand all the hate Starfox Adventures got. Sure it was another game prior. But I think it was a cool change of pace for this franchise which was normal stuck in the shooter on rails genre.

Starfox should expand beyond the space shooter genre and explore other gaming genres out there. I would love for them to explore this world a lot more and not be another space shooter.

This is a franchise that could work as an animated movie too.
Old 10-07-2020, 03:24 PM   #8
Storm Eagle
Saved by

It's a pretty cool game, although there are a couple of parts in it that are wicked annoying. I got a GameCube when the game came out, and I wanted a black GameCube, but the TRU where I reserved the game only had the indigo one. This other store not too far away had a black one though.
Storm Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 06:27 PM   #9
Powder
So tired of this place

This game is amazing, super underrated. Put aside the stock SFX & weird voice acting, & you've got yourself a really solid Zelda-lite, with an awesome David Wise (Donkey Kong Country!) soundtrack.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 06:32 PM   #10
Leo656
The Franchise

That's a heck of an endorsement. I might jump on this next week.

Old 10-07-2020, 06:39 PM   #11
neatoman
Emperor

Yeah the soundtrack is pretty good, kinda sucks that the name David Wise is associated with a certain someone else around here, but the guy is a real treasure.
Hahahaha!
Old 10-07-2020, 07:18 PM   #12
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
I don't understand all the hate Starfox Adventures got. Sure it was another game prior. But I think it was a cool change of pace for this franchise which was normal stuck in the shooter on rails genre.

Starfox should expand beyond the space shooter genre and explore other gaming genres out there. I would love for them to explore this world a lot more and not be another space shooter.
I hate to say it but I completely agree, I found all the furry space drama super interesting as well. Loved that SF Assault also had foot sections and all the world building they did in SF Command on the DS. Sadly Star Fox like Terminator can't move past Star Fox 64 we got a remake and then a re-imagining since then..

Quote:
This is a franchise that could work as an animated movie too.
Or a tv series, the Bucky O'hare felt to me like a star fox cartoon but all we've gotten is this Star Fox animated short before the Wii U game came out. I have hopes that one day.
Old 10-07-2020, 07:25 PM   #13
Leo656
The Franchise

It's just so weird that I only played Star Fox for the first time recently and now people are talking about Star Fox. That's pretty spiffy!

Old 10-07-2020, 07:44 PM   #14
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
It's just so weird that I only played Star Fox for the first time recently and now people are talking about Star Fox. That's pretty spiffy!
The original SNES game?
Hahahaha!
Old 10-07-2020, 07:50 PM   #15
Leo656
The Franchise

Yeah, that and 64. Played the SNES one a few weeks ago and then the N64 one last week.

As a kid, we were pretty broke, so I didn't own a lot of games, and there were a lot of types of games like shooters, fighters, and racing games that I simply didn't play much. But now I play a little of everything. And I definitely wish I had these games as a kid, but oh well.

Fact is I bought Star Fox Adventures like ten years ago but insisted that I not play it until after playing the "real" games. So now I have an excuse!

I also picked up Star Fox Zero and Guard a couple weeks ago but I need a charger for my Wii U controller.

I get into everything just, like, incredibly late.

Old 02-20-2021, 11:04 AM   #16
sdp
Megan Fox = April

The Nintendo 64 version of Dinosaur Planet just leaked. This is a dream come true for me, download is in the tweet I linked.
Old 02-20-2021, 05:12 PM   #17
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
The Nintendo 64 version of Dinosaur Planet just leaked. This is a dream come true for me, download is in the tweet I linked.
Huh, seems like there is an explaination for why the names Sabre and Fox were both in those recordings I posted. This build of the game features Fox but it hasn't yet removed all of Sabre's assets, so they're used as a placeholder.

Seems like most bit of development you'd need in order to release this would be to create some Fox specific assets and edit all mentions of Sabre out from the dialogue.
Hahahaha!