The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Video Game Discussion

Notices

Old 03-12-2021, 04:05 PM   #121
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaphaelinSTL View Post
I mean all signs point to this being a 2022 release, right? Just based on their previous reveal trailer to actual release date timeframes?
They're not building a new Unreal engine. It'll be out in a couple of months probably.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 04:08 PM   #122
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
I mean all signs point to this being a 2022 release, right? Just based on their previous reveal trailer to actual release date timeframes?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
They're not building a new Unreal engine. It'll be out in a couple of months probably.
I expect Andrew is right. During the TwitterSpaces conversation with some of the publishing team, they said that the gameplay footage used for the trailer was "Alpha-build" and that the development team is considerably further along at present. I can't imagine this game having to forgo Halloween, let alone New Year's Eve.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!

Last edited by oldmanwinters; 10-28-2021 at 02:16 PM.
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 04:53 PM   #123
Mexiun
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
For those of you who assume the game will be loaded with playable characters on Day 1, this comment from a member of the TributeGames Dev team on the official Discord might disappoint you:
Spoiler:
As for playable characters, it's the four turtles. We get that people want more, but we've done a LOT of work giving each turtle their own animations rather than palette swapping one turtle sprite with different weapons. Their different run cycles from the trailer is just one part of how they vary. . . .
As for different skins, it's not my department, but not it's not planned at the moment. We're still working on the big stuff!
As sad as it is its also understandable, doesn't make my hype any less either.
Also didn't expect any other playable characters anyway, it was just a hope.

Can't wait to see the differences between the Turtles.
Mexiun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 05:17 PM   #124
Anarchistguy
Mad Scientist

Location: Canada (This country is too peaceful, Something's up...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-ray View Post
I don't want to sound pessimistic or anything, but I don't think it will be anything special.

First of all: for the 100th, the 1987 style is still there.
I'm not entirely against the style, but damnit. People seem to know the
turtles only in this way. The problem is always the same: you'll get nostalgics to your side, but make an even bigger gap between the turtles and the newest generations.
I don't understand why you're so pissed. From the get go Nickolodeon said they'd focus on 1987 TMNT The most

"When my time comes, I wanna be buried face down, so those who don't like me can kiss my ass!"
Anarchistguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 05:59 PM   #125
Zulithe
Ninjutsu Master

I just think it's easier to make a TMNT game that appeals to the widest possible audience when using the 87 styles. If they instead went with Rise, they'd be turning a lot of fans off -- sorry but that's just how it is. The show didn't hit with a lot of people.

Younger audience can still understand who all the characters are and enjoy the gameplay. So I don't think it's a problem.
Zulithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 06:04 PM   #126
darthsmozers
Mad Scientist

Wow, 7 pages of comments and there is so much negativity.

Me? I smiled the whole way through that awesome intro, and am looking for a little shameless nostalgic fun with the beat’em up.
darthsmozers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 06:39 PM   #127
Anarchistguy
Mad Scientist

Pretty damn ironic that the most pessimistic people about this game are the TMNT fans

"When my time comes, I wanna be buried face down, so those who don't like me can kiss my ass!"
Old 03-12-2021, 07:03 PM   #128
Turo602
The King of Kings

I'm f*cking excited about this. Beat 'em ups are having a resurgence with games like Streets of Rage 4 and Scott Pilgrim and this looks like it has the potential to be just as great. We don't get enough cool Ninja Turtles sh*t often enough that I consider this a win.
Old 03-12-2021, 07:05 PM   #129
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulithe View Post
I just think it's easier to make a TMNT game that appeals to the widest possible audience when using the 87 styles. If they instead went with Rise, they'd be turning a lot of fans off -- sorry but that's just how it is. The show didn't hit with a lot of people.

Younger audience can still understand who all the characters are and enjoy the gameplay. So I don't think it's a problem.
Case in point we've had games based on 2k3 and Nick 2012 and none of them sold all that well.

The GBA TMNT games are all excellent, much better than the console versions and they're overlooked.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 08:16 PM   #130
sdp
-

Shredder's revenge is such a lame title.
April's design looks downgraded but might just be the art style.
I hope each level isn't too themed to an "episode" as they said in the show. I want this to feel like an epic adventure the arcade games felt not play through "episodes" of the show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
The GBA TMNT games are all excellent, much better than the console versions and they're overlooked.

People forget that Konami made more 2D TMNT games, for 2k3 and they only remember the console games but even back then they were well reviewed. The first two games feel rather different from each other and from the 90s games, the DS game from Konami was still a 2D beat em up in the same style.

Ubisoft's TMNT 2007 for GBA is so awesome, I would've loved a sequel and sadly the DS got a generic 3D game instead.

Last edited by sdp; 03-12-2021 at 08:32 PM.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 08:38 PM   #131
Prowler
Emperor

I played a bit of the GBA version of the first two 2k3 TMNT games. The first one was fine. Battle Nexus was OK too, but I didn't like how in several levels you start without your weapons and have to go find them.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 09:00 PM   #132
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarchistguy View Post
Pretty damn ironic that the most pessimistic people about this game are the TMNT fans
Who's pessimistic about the game itself?

Most of the "negativity" has nothing to do with the game itself. It's that some people want FW to once again be the face of the brand on the back end of the game coming out, and lots of us absolutely Do Not Want that even if we're fine with or excited about the game itself for what it is.

I'm looking forward to the game as its own thing. But otherwise I'm over and done with FW TMNT and I don't want it to once again be "the dominant force" of the franchise. I'm not 7 anymore.

But the game itself looks fine, looking forward to it. Pretty sure that's how most of the "pessimists" feel about the situation. A FW-based nostalgic beat-'em-up? Sure, fine, great. A full-blown "FW Revival"? 1000 times No.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/

Last edited by Leo656; 03-13-2021 at 07:11 PM.
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 09:33 PM   #133
Turo602
The King of Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
A full-blown "FW Revival"? 1000 times No.
I wouldn't mind considering what we currently have. I definitely don't want the original cartoon to be the face of Ninja Turtles, but I think there's potential in revisiting that era in a modern way. That trailer alone made that old cartoon look dope as hell. It's just a shame they don't make an effort to offset the 80s nostalgia with something darker and more comic accurate which they could totally do, but just don't.

For instance, if they had a live action show for Paramount Plus similar in tone and style to the original film that was getting massive buzz like Daredevil did and Cobra Kai, then stuff celebrating the 80s cartoon from time to time would be a lot easier to appreciate. But at the same time, when the last batch of Turtles stuff we've gotten was BayTurtles and Rise, I'll gladly take this.
Old 03-12-2021, 09:38 PM   #134
Leo656
The Franchise

That's like asking me to choose between sitting on my own balls or slicing my taint with the Bic while I'm manscaping.

In a perfect world, I'd have more, better options to choose from.

Old 03-12-2021, 09:54 PM   #135
Turo602
The King of Kings

Quote:
That's like asking me to choose between sitting on my own balls or slicing my taint with the Bic while I'm manscaping.

In a perfect world, I'd have more, better options to choose from.
That's more like if you were choosing between Rise and BayTurtles, unless hey, maybe you enjoy sitting on your balls. To each their own I guess.
Old 03-12-2021, 10:41 PM   #136
Leo656
The Franchise

I do not.

And no, choosing between "Rise" and BayTurtles would be like choosing between slicing the little flap of skin that connects my bottom lip to my gums with a surgical scalpel, or cutting open my scrotum and sawing one of my testicles in half while it was still attached to my body.

Just to be PERFECTLY clear.

Old 03-13-2021, 03:52 AM   #137
Mexiun
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
I hope each level isn't too themed to an "episode" as they said in the show. I want this to feel like an epic adventure the arcade games felt not play through "episodes" of the show.
I don't think they meant that every stage is themed to a TMNT episode, i think they meant that each stage will feel like you're playing through an 80's cartoon episode (such as level design, the things happening in the background that will tell the story without it literally being told).
Such as what we have seen where Bebop is flirting with Tifanny and then foot soldiers being on the PC in the background, there's a lot of "story" happening in the background to make it an "episode".
You still play the game as an Arcade game with its own unique story that is connected to each stage, the stages aren't a seperate thing.
Mexiun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 03:57 AM   #138
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexiun View Post
Such as what we have seen where Bebop is flirting with Tifanny and then foot soldiers being on the PC in the background, there's a lot of "story" happening in the background to make it an "episode".
So... 2% "story," and 98% smashing/looking at all the pretty rainbow color-coded Foot Soldiers over and over again. Great. Can't wait.

First of all, if you have the infrastructure and tech to create actual thousands of sophisticated AI Foot Soldiers that the best minds at MIT can't do (and imagine the raw material needed)... you could already be the richest man on Earth many times over. Why send these against four Turtles? Also, why color code them? For whose benefit?
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 04:10 AM   #139
Anarchistguy
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Who's pessimistic about the game itself?

Most of the "negativity" has nothing to do with the game itself. It's that some people want FW to once again the the face of the brand on the back end of the game coming out, and lots of us absolutely Do Not Want that even if we're fine with or excited about the game itself for what it is.

I'm looking forward to the game as its own thing. But otherwise I'm over and done with FW TMNT and I don't want it to once again be "the dominant force" of the franchise. I'm not 7 anymore.

But the game itself looks fine, looking forward to it. Pretty sure that's how most of the "pessimists" feel about the situation. A FW-based nostalgic beat-'em-up? Sure, fine, great. A full-blown "FW Revival"? 1000 times No.
Ohhhhhhh well in that case I agree 12000%. While I have nostalgia for FW TMNT, it's one of my least favorite incarnations. Shoving that version down our throats is pretty annoying but it is extremely profitable, so I don't see it ending anytime soon..

Old 03-13-2021, 04:41 AM   #140
Tuxedo Moroboshi
Mad Scientist

Quote:
It's like a 35-year old grown man going to the gym and being impressed with himself that he lifts exactly the same amount of weight as he did as a high school Freshman. "We've made Zero Progress in all that time" should never be something to be overly proud of.
That's not entirely what's happening here, though. They've stated that they're taking the 2D side-scrolling beat 'em up formula of the old games, but now that they're free of the technical limitations of that era, they're improving upon the mechanics further and fixing what didn't work. What all that entails exactly is something we don't fully know yet, but it's too soon to say it's "zero progress".

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
April's design looks downgraded but might just be the art style.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
For those of you who assume the game will be loaded with playable characters on Day 1, this comment from a member of the TributeGames Dev team on the official Discord might disappoint you:
Spoiler:
As for playable characters, it's the four turtles. We get that people want more, but we've done a LOT of work giving each turtle their own animations rather than palette swapping one turtle sprite with different weapons. Their different run cycles from the trailer is just one part of how they vary. . . .
As for different skins, it's not my department, but not it's not planned at the moment. We're still working on the big stuff!
Dang, that animated intro made it seem like April and Splinter would be playable. However, it's important to note said animated intro was done by a completely different group of people than the in-game sprites (or so I believe I remember reading). Either way, you can tell there's a difference, since the art style is different for the Turtles between that intro and the sprites, and even the designs have subtle differences like the intro using merchandise black buckles on the belts while the sprites have them completely silver.

Quote:
I wouldn’t be worried about that ... heck, even Manhattan Project and Turtles in Time used his Archie Comics / Playmates look.

NECA used his cartoon look for their 1987 figure because they’re sticklers (and rightfully so) for accuracy.
Well, but that was Konami that did that. There's no telling if Dotemu will do the same, and their adamant statement of sticking strictly to the 1987 cartoon is enough for me to be worried about Slash's appearance. I think the only thing that maybe alleviates some of that worry is seeing how huge they made Bebop and Rocksteady (since they really weren't all that big in the actual cartoon).
Tuxedo Moroboshi is offline   Reply With Quote