The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: What do you think should happen with the TMNT franchse in the future?
Continue spitting out new products all the time 8 26.67%
Take short-term breaks sometimes 15 50.00%
Long-time hibernation 3 10.00%
Bury the Turtles, and let them rest in peace 4 13.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-06-2021, 11:49 AM   #1
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Future of the Turtles

Since the Nickelodeon purchase of the TMNT in October 2009, we've seen the Turtles returning in various forms. But are new comics, cartoons and movies almost all the time a good thing? What do you think should happen to the franchise?

Between June 1969 and September 1987, Star Trek had just one, short-lasting, cartoon and a few movies on screen.

Star Wars mostly slept for about five years, from 1986 until 1991. Then, it slowly began to return with books, comics and video games until the full-scale cinema comeback in May 1999.

Masters of the Universe slept in hibernation for about 12 years, from about December 1990 until August 2002. Maybe too long?

The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles were declining during the late 1990's and early 2000's.

Last edited by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan; 07-11-2022 at 07:18 AM.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 12:06 PM   #2
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

My choice (not listed) would be: "Bury the Turtles, and let them rest in peace... until such a time as when/if Viacom/Nickelodeon get serious about them not exclusively as a children's or camp property/Fred Wolf regurgitation of a regurgitation."

Or just "Sell TMNT to someone else." I really almost don't care to whom. After 10 years we have a pretty good idea of Viacom/Nick's "plan" for TMNT and it's not a really good one. Let's try somebody else's.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 12:06 PM   #3
AquaParade
Banned

I've always been the type of audience member that is fine with the license holder throwing a ton of stuff at the wall and seeing what sticks. Most of it won't be for me, but some of it will.

So I hope the franchise keeps chugging along, and just maybe, someday, there will be something I enjoy as much as the Mirage books or the first movie. Otherwise, it's just fun to occasionally check out for curiosity's sake.

Viacom hasn't done a whole lot with the franchise that appeals to me, but then again, if TMNT were buried a decade ago, we wouldn't have The Last Ronin, which is a great book and an exciting product to come out of TMNT in this day and age. At the least, it's something from the franchise that appeals to me.

I don't feel like the franchise could be desecrated anymore than it already has. It's not like we're stepping on sacred ground here. Keep trying. Let's see what happens.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 01:29 PM   #4
Jephael
That whack job behind you

I feel they would do well with Warner Bros and DC Comics. Heck they've already teamed up with Batman, I'd love to see them cross paths with the likes of Superman, Wonder Woman and others down the road.

www.jephael.com
Jephael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 06:38 PM   #5
Leo656
The Franchise

The magic's gone. Throwing a billion disparate takes at the wall to see if anything sticks does little except damage what's become an already-tainted brand. There was a time when there wasn't much TMNT product in existence, and most of it was good. Now if you take in the collective amount of Everything TMNT, MOST of it isn't just "bad", but trash. The longer it goes on, the more things tip the wrong way. Saying "Well, it's already damaged goods so whatever, just pile more sh*t on top" doesn't help anything. "Oh, boy, perhaps ONE of these hundred new iterations WON'T be terrible!" Who cares?! One Good Thing with a TMNT sticker on it doesn't counteract the hundred Bad Things, and those Bad Things do more harm to the brand than any good that those Good Things could ever do.

It's officially become Stupid Sh*t For Dummies. It shouldn't be, should never have been, but there's no going back, now. It's gone way too far off the rails and the Bad far outweighs the Good. You officially can't proclaim yourself a TMNT Fan without immediately branding yourself as someone who likes Dumb Sh*t, and the onus is now on you to explain to anyone judging you, "No, I mean I like the GOOD TMNT stuff from like a hundred years ago, before it all got stupid." But before you get to say that, the immediate judgment of the other person is, "Oh, they like TMNT. This person is either an idiot or a manchild."

TMNT, once upon a time, was "cool". It's not "cool", now, and probably never will be again.

The most respectful thing to do, would be to let it rest. Keep making those overpriced "collector's" action figures, maybe try a new video game once every ten years or so. There's just nothing good that can come from endless reboots, at this point. They fixed it until it was broken and now it's not salvagable.

It's like how once upon a time the Toy Story franchise was "pure"; it was just three movies (and a couple TV spin-offs nobody watched), and everyone liked those movies. It was about as "perfect" and "pristine" as a franchise could ever be. But they just HAD to chase one last dollar, they made that lousy fourth movie, and now that franchise is "broken", too.

"Sometimes, dead is bettah."

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 06:52 PM   #6
mrmaczaps
Banned

Too much low brow dumbest versions is bad for long term. Best idea is to stop for a bit, see what worked from Mirage & the 1990 movie & move forward from that point. The bro's are same species, all male, red bandana wearing, color coded wraps on weapons they're using & telling Turtle centered stories that kick ass. Want to tell the tails/tales of side characters, use a mini series. Next.
mrmaczaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 08:36 PM   #7
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

I favor short breaks and more thought given to what they intend on doing with them.

I feel that throwing anything and everything at the wall and then ending up with 85% crud is just going to result in people thinking the property no longer has any value when that would be purely the fault of the people who failed it.

If we were a lot younger still a long hibernation might seem less of an issue, but I don't really want to have to wait until many of us are all nearing retirement age for anything good to actually happen, nor do I want them to stop existing completely.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 08:54 PM   #8
Leo656
The Franchise

So here's a hypothetical.

Pretend a version of You from the future came back in time to Right Now and said, "Yeah, there's gonna be another hundred versions of TMNT between Now and Then, and they keep getting dumber. In the future, the TMNT franchise is looked at with naught but mockery and disdain; any claims that it was once one of the most popular things around are met with snickers of disbelief. It's 100% just disposable entertainment for dipsh*ts, like those Transformers movies. Not only will there never be a version that you like, ever again, but the entire franchise is beyond a bad joke in the eyes of pretty much everyone."

BUT, here's the kicker: Future You has come back in time to let you know that YOU have the power to prevent that... but the flipside being, there will never be another version of TMNT ever again. Only nostalgia-based stuff like toys and video games, which never go away for any property; but no more cartoons, movies, comics, no more "new versions".

So... would you do it? Cancel the entire future of the property, with the caveat that at least things won't get any worse than they are Right Now? Especially armed with the knowledge from Future You that literally nothing they ever do with the brand will ever again be to your liking? Let's assume for the sake of argument this isn't some alternate-timeline Future You, but literally You In 40 Years. And you have 100% of the power to prevent this Dark Future, where most TMNT material that ever existed is trash and everyone thinks the brand is and always was stupid.

I would. I'd cancel that sh*t so hard. Right now, things are bad but it's still possible to see through some of the crap on the windshield to see the Good that once existed in this franchise. If things continue their current course, though, there won't even be any "windshield", just a three-inch thick layer of sh*t that nobody in their right mind would even attempt to scratch the surface of.

Old 10-06-2021, 09:31 PM   #9
mrmaczaps
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post

Pretend a version of You from the future came back in time to Right Now and said, "Yeah, there's gonna be another hundred versions of TMNT between Now and Then, and they keep getting dumber. In the future, the TMNT franchise is looked at with naught but mockery and disdain; any claims that it was once one of the most popular things around are met with snickers of disbelief. It's 100% just disposable entertainment for dipsh*ts, like those Transformers movies. Not only will there never be a version that you like, ever again, but the entire franchise is beyond a bad joke in the eyes of pretty much everyone."

BUT, here's the kicker: Future You has come back in time to let you know that YOU have the power to prevent that... but the flipside being, there will never be another version of TMNT ever again. Only nostalgia-based stuff like toys and video games, which never go away for any property; but no more cartoons, movies, comics, no more "new versions".

So... would you do it? Cancel the entire future of the property, with the caveat that at least things won't get any worse than they are Right Now? Especially armed with the knowledge from Future You that literally nothing they ever do with the brand will ever again be to your liking? Let's assume for the sake of argument this isn't some alternate-timeline Future You, but literally You In 40 Years. And you have 100% of the power to prevent this Dark Future, where most TMNT material that ever existed is trash and everyone thinks the brand is and always was stupid.

I would. I'd cancel that sh*t so hard. Right now, things are bad but it's still possible to see through some of the crap on the windshield to see the Good that once existed in this franchise. If things continue their current course, though, there won't even be any "windshield", just a three-inch thick layer of sh*t that nobody in their right mind would even attempt to scratch the surface of.
Bury it like Hillary's involvement in the deaths of soooo many people.
mrmaczaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 09:39 PM   #10
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmaczaps View Post
Bury it like Hillary's involvement in the deaths of soooo many people.
Bit of an odd tangent, but I'll allow it.

I'll even go one better!

"The First Lady claimed that she won the Women's 100-Meter Dash at the 1956 Olympics, and that she had an I.Q. of, quote, 'Over 700'. When it was pointed out to her that these were not especially good lies, Mrs. Clinton responded, 'I know, I have a problem,' and then added, 'I invented the formula for 7-Up'."

Old 10-06-2021, 10:02 PM   #11
Allio
Foot Elite

Clearly there is an argument to both sides. A franchise like Pokémon gets lots and content, and honestly it’s pretty much all the main line stuff that is bad and the side content is really the only worth things (stuff like Pokken and the different types of manga) but because of the mainline it feels like everything is over bloated. Then again on the opposite spectrum we are still waiting on a new F-zero game.

Then waiting on 4-5 years doesn’t always work as when something comes out and it’s bad, it hurts worse. The era of Metroid federation force/Other M proves this.

Obviously it all depends on one’s own taste. There is both positive and negatives on both.

And don’t get me started on Silent Hill.

Last edited by Allio; 10-06-2021 at 10:11 PM.
Allio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 07:53 AM   #12
MrPliggins
Foot Elite

Quote:

This is an interesting hypothetical. I'd let the franchise keep going. I can just ignore the stuff I don't like, like I've done for the past 10 years. Let the people who like it, like it. If it keeps the property relevant long enough for my #1, 1st printing, to be worth a million dollars like Action Comics #1, I'm all for it.
MrPliggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 08:33 AM   #13
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
My choice (not listed) would be: "Bury the Turtles, and let them rest in peace... until such a time as when/if Viacom/Nickelodeon get serious about them not exclusively as a children's or camp property/Fred Wolf regurgitation of a regurgitation."
Meh, when that happens, you usually end up with something like the Kevin Smith Masters of the Universe reboot. And the inevitable fan backlash followed by the corporate shamming of the "not true fans."

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 09:19 AM   #14
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
Meh, when that happens, you usually end up with something like the Kevin Smith Masters of the Universe reboot.
It was fine.

Old 10-07-2021, 10:41 AM   #15
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Saying "Well, it's already damaged goods so whatever, just pile more sh*t on top" doesn't help anything. "Oh, boy, perhaps ONE of these hundred new iterations WON'T be terrible!" Who cares?! One Good Thing with a TMNT sticker on it doesn't counteract the hundred Bad Things, and those Bad Things do more harm to the brand than any good that those Good Things could ever do.
This is where I disagree. I really dig The Last Ronin and a lot of the figures Neca are putting out. The new game looks fun too. Oh, and the Injustice DLC was dope. Why do I care if there are five lame cartoons and a movie in the meantime?

Really...why do I care? We are past the point of desecration.
If Nickelodeon wants to make a ton of money, indoctrinate the kiddo's with TMNT, and occasionally throw me something cool, why would I be against that?

I don't see how it'd be better for the TMNT franchise to be dead, with no chance of the occasional cool product, just so we could look at it every once in a while and say "well, that was cool. I'm glad the franchise is bringing nobody joy anymore. I got mine. Respect!"

The easiest thing in the world is to just ignore the offerings that aren't aimed at you. In the meantime, they are bringing others joy and occasionally aiming at a different demographic.
Quote:

Oh, well...that's just different. I don't assume that literally every single TMNT offering is going to be bad. I mean, if we knew they were all going to be bad and none would appeal to us for the next 100 years, of course we'd all be willing to shut it down. Anyone except the occasional addicts, which do exist. But if they told me "90% of what comes out for the rest of your life, in regards to TMNT, won't appeal to you, but 10% will", then yeah, I'd definitely keep it alive.

TMNT isn't my legacy, I don't give a crap if the brand is tarnished anymore, if that's even possible. I'll skip the crappy buffet and wander straight over to the ice cream when it's ready.

Last edited by AquaParade; 10-07-2021 at 10:59 AM.
Old 10-07-2021, 11:33 AM   #16
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
The easiest thing in the world is to just ignore the offerings that aren't aimed at you. In the meantime, they are bringing others joy and occasionally aiming at a different demographic.
Which is fine, but the question is "what do YOU think SHOULD happen" with the TMNT. He's answering the question. It's not "What do you think is an equitable for all move with TMNT?" I'm guessing Leo656 doesn't give a crap about the latest crop of 5 year old potential fans -- or the furries, or general weirdos or whoever we may happen to be talking about -- and neither do I.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 11:56 AM   #17
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Which is fine, but the question is "what do YOU think SHOULD happen" with the TMNT. He's answering the question. It's not "What do you think is an equitable for all move with TMNT?" I'm guessing Leo656 doesn't give a crap about the latest crop of 5 year old potential fans -- or the furries, or general weirdos or whoever we may happen to be talking about -- and neither do I.
I think you're missing my point. It's not so much "think of the kids" as it is "let the kids have their thing, and as long as I get mine too on occasion, I'd like the train to keep rolling."

If none of our opinions are up for discussion, then I don't know why we are here. Leo asked a hypothetical and I also responded to that.

I mean, let alone that his post was in large part, in response to what I voted for - whether intentional or not - and that's totally fine with me. Felt like it was open for discussion.
Quote:
It's officially become Stupid Sh*t For Dummies. It shouldn't be, should never have been, but there's no going back, now. It's gone way too far off the rails and the Bad far outweighs the Good. You officially can't proclaim yourself a TMNT Fan without immediately branding yourself as someone who likes Dumb Sh*t, and the onus is now on you to explain to anyone judging you, "No, I mean I like the GOOD TMNT stuff from like a hundred years ago, before it all got stupid." But before you get to say that, the immediate judgment of the other person is, "Oh, they like TMNT. This person is either an idiot or a manchild."
Btw, Leo, I think this is actually right where we part ways, in a sense. Because I can agree with some of this and my stance is just "well, if it's too late, why stop now? Occasionally some gold gets shat out, so who cares?". But I don't think you're wrong, it's just difference of opinion.

Last edited by AquaParade; 10-07-2021 at 12:07 PM.
Old 10-07-2021, 12:19 PM   #18
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Speaking of the Franchise's future, this might be nothing of consequence, but the official TMNT Instagram posted this picture today which has people talking and speculating if it might be a tease of a new show/project. If it's just fan art, it appears to have been posted without credit:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CUupSvnsc2Y/

The art style reminds me quite a bit of Brian Thomas' under-rated work on the occasional Archie TMNT Adventures issue.

EDIT: For whatever it's worth, the same account shared Thomas' cover for issue 72 back in August.

EDIT x2: TMNT Official Facebook account also posted the image around 3pm:
https://www.facebook.com/teenagemuta...638843475012:0

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!

Last edited by oldmanwinters; 10-08-2021 at 12:34 PM.
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 12:26 PM   #19
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Speaking of the Franchise's future, this might be nothing of consequence, but the official TMNT Instagram posted this picture today which has people talking and speculating if it might be a tease of a new show/project. If it's just fan art, it appears to have been posted without credit:
http://i.imgur.com/nkVth45m.jpg

The art style reminds me quite a bit of Brian Thomas' under-rated work on the occasional Archie TMNT Adventures issue.
Interesting. Looks to me like they post a lot of fan art, but I could be wrong.
Old 10-07-2021, 12:28 PM   #20
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
http://i.imgur.com/nkVth45m.jpg

Except for the bandanas, it reminds me of the TMNT Adventures Turtle Tots.

Last edited by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan; 10-07-2021 at 03:43 PM.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote