The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 02-19-2024, 11:17 AM   #1
The Deadman
Foot Elite

Nintendo Is Currently The Richest Company In Japan

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...mpany-in-japan

According to new data from Toyo Keizai, an economics magazine company based in Tokyo, Japan, Nintendo is currently the richest company in the country.

As spotted by Install Base forums and X user Pierre485, Nintendo currently boasts a cash and cash equivalent value of roughly $11.44 billion when converted from Japanese yen. According to the data, Nintendo also has a debt value of... wait for it... Nothing. Zilch. Nada. No debt.

Other gaming companies in the list include the likes of Bandai Namco at number 25, Square Enix at 38, Konami at 50, SEGA at 63, GungHo at 64, Kadokawa at 81, and Capcom at 88.

It certainly demonstrates just how valuable Nintendo is at the moment, with the company enjoying monumental success with the Switch, its theme parks, and the launch of The Super Mario Bros. Movie in 2023. Not to mention, of course, all of its growing success since its inception back in 1889...

It might also be surprising that a certain company called Sony hasn't made the list at all, but this is likely due in part to the firm's own debt value, which as of September '23, was reportedly totalled at $31.33 billion.

Last Movie Watched: Infested (2023).
Last TV Show Watched: Ghosts US (S1:E10).
The Deadman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 11:23 AM   #2
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Figured Capcom would be higher on the list… guess they need to start licensing those IPs for (good) films and merchandising.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 11:25 AM   #3
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

I think the 2020's is the decade when the video gaming industry becomes fully accepted as the dominating entertainment industry it already is.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 01:18 PM   #4
ResidentEvil7
Foot Soldier

I'm not surprised by Nintendo's success, because almost every gamer has some form of Nintendo system or game in their house. I still have my NES and SNES, but all those games went into an estate sale after my dad passed 18 months ago. It doesn't matter because those games went to 2 systems that haven't worked in 20 years. I just keep my NES and SNES for sentimental reasons, because I've had them since early childhood.
ResidentEvil7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 02:32 PM   #5
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Sony

If Sony Interactive Entertainment, based in the USA, scores success with a Playstation console, does that count as a success for Sony of Japan?
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 02:53 PM   #6
The Deadman
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
If Sony Interactive Entertainment, based in the USA, scores success with a Playstation console, does that count as a success for Sony of Japan?
No, only for Sony of America. The PS5 could be a success here while being a flop in Japan.

Last Movie Watched: Infested (2023).
Last TV Show Watched: Ghosts US (S1:E10).
The Deadman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 03:01 PM   #7
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Business is my field so some fun facts on the erroneous reporting and commenting in general as this news spread:

-Richest does not mean the biggest or even the one worth the most, this is the reason Sony isn't there, it's not market cap
-Nintendo has actually been in this situation for more than a decade now
-Having no debt is actually NOT a sign of a healthy company, people don't understand this, investors just haven't raised a big enough stink about it

I'm not saying Nintendo is doing badly, they're doing great. They're just showing their weakness which is not a new one. They are not good at management. They've been stuck with a huge cash reserve that they refuse to use to invest and yet the company has not grown as much as it should. It's been stuck at 11 billion for over a decade (even if it's actually been growing to 12 billion in the process, it's still too slow).

I mean I don't know how much I'd want them to change, but even just using a bit of leverage to update their infrastructure, acquire rights to their legacy content and secure better licensing agreements now that they're going Hollywood. Those are all great ways to spend the money, not lose the Nintendo way and be able to remain autonomous and still have a successful long term strategy.

Last edited by sdp; 02-19-2024 at 03:36 PM.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote