The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Books, Comics, and Other Literature

Notices

Old 02-02-2021, 08:25 AM   #1
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Major Retcon For Thor Coming From Marvel (Avengers#42)

He's the son of the Phoenix Force now.

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/majo...-thor-history/
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 09:08 AM   #2
Galactus
Foot Elite

Yeesh. To think I liked Aaron's Avengers run when it started and even though it's gone wildly off track actually liked the idea that Mephisto had been messing with the major players of the Marvel Universe since the beginning but this seems unnecessary.

Also while it may be tough to let go does Aaron not realise he isn't writing a Thor book anymore. Something like this should be done in the main Thor book not in Avengers.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 09:58 AM   #3
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Not cool and I love Jason Aaron's Thor. But Thor's Mom is Frigga always will be. Sorry Jason

Last edited by Autbot_Benz; 02-02-2021 at 02:07 PM.
Autbot_Benz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 10:51 AM   #4
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist

Actually, Thor's mother was Fjörgyn, the earth giantess. Frigga actually married Odin after his relationship with the giantess, mothered Thor's three half brothers Balder, Hermod, and Tyr, and she became Thor's stepmother.

Oh, and Loki is actually his step-uncle, not his brother.

IDW is the best version of TMNT

If they make a TMNT reboot movie retelling the shredder battle/origin, I won't buy a ticket.
Panda_Kahn_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 02:07 PM   #5
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda_Kahn_fan View Post
Actually, Thor's mother was Fjörgyn, the earth giantess. Frigga actually married Odin after his relationship with the giantess, mothered Thor's three half brothers Balder, Hermod, and Tyr, and she became Thor's stepmother.

Oh, and Loki is actually his step-uncle, not his brother.
were talking about Marvel Comics not actual norse mythology
Old 02-02-2021, 02:52 PM   #6
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autbot_Benz View Post
were talking about Marvel Comics not actual Norse mythology
Oh, I'm well aware we're discussing the marvel version of Thor. I just thought I would bring up the dark and gritty original source material, while we are talking about the toned-down comic version that's popular with the masses. (All joking aside, marvel Thor is awesome.)

This feels like a really pointless retcon that serves no purpose. They mentioned in the Thor series years ago that Thor was the son of Odin and the earth, making Frigga his stepmom in the comics, as well. Thor in marvel has never had a connection with the phoenix force, but we'll see what they do with it.

IDW is the best version of TMNT

If they make a TMNT reboot movie retelling the shredder battle/origin, I won't buy a ticket.

Last edited by Panda_Kahn_fan; 02-02-2021 at 03:28 PM.
Panda_Kahn_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 07:12 PM   #7
Galactus
Foot Elite

Yeah Marvel Thor's biological mother Gaea. Hence why he has a connection to Earth.

Now I'm not sure it was ever necessary for Thor to have a connection to the Earth spirit for him to want to protect Midgard but it's part of the canon. I'm not wedded but it's one of those things that of you're going to mess with it should be for a good reason; I'm not so sure that this is. Also wouldn't it actually be the cavegirl phoenix host that is actually Thor's mother?
Old 02-02-2021, 07:14 PM   #8
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I wouldn't doubt that this was something handed down from the movie people. i.e., get people used to it in the comics because this is what they're going to be doing in the movies.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 05:09 AM   #9
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactus View Post
Yeah Marvel Thor's biological mother Gaea. Hence why he has a connection to Earth.

Now I'm not sure it was ever necessary for Thor to have a connection to the Earth spirit for him to want to protect Midgard but it's part of the canon. I'm not wedded but it's one of those things that of you're going to mess with it should be for a good reason; I'm not so sure that this is. Also wouldn't it actually be the cavegirl phoenix host that is actually Thor's mother?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia Jörð
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J%C3%B6r%C3%B0
Jörð (Old Norse j?rð, "earth") is the personification of earth and a goddess in Norse mythology. She is the mother of the thunder god Thor, and a sexual partner of Odin.[1] Her name is often employed in skaldic poetry and kennings as a poetic term for land or earth.[2]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia Thor
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thor
In Germanic mythology, Thor (/???r/; from Old Norse: Þórr) is a hammer-wielding god associated with lightning, thunder, storms, sacred groves and trees, strength, the protection of mankind and also hallowing and fertility.

Others have emphasized Thor's close connection to humanity, in all its concerns.[73] Scholar Hilda Ellis Davidson summarizes:

The cult of Thor was linked up with men's habitation and possessions, and with well-being of the family and community. This included the fruitfulness of the fields, and Thor, although pictured primarily as a storm god in the myths, was also concerned with the fertility and preservation of the seasonal round. In our own times, little stone axes from the distant past have been used as fertility symbols and placed by the farmer in the holes made by the drill to receive the first seed of spring. Thor's marriage with Sif of the golden hair, about which we hear little in the myths, seems to be a memory of the ancient symbol of divine marriage between sky god and earth goddess, when he comes to earth in the thunderstorm and the storm brings the rain which makes the fields fertile. In this way Thor, as well as Odin, may be seen to continue the cult of the sky god which was known in the Bronze Age.[74]
In short, the connection to earth is taken from mythology and is a fundamental part of his function as a deity.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 08:03 AM   #10
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Just read the issue, the reveal is the cliffhanger

Last edited by ZariusTwo; 02-03-2021 at 08:50 AM.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 05:21 PM   #11
Galactus
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I wouldn't doubt that this was something handed down from the movie people. i.e., get people used to it in the comics because this is what they're going to be doing in the movies.
I don't know about that. Synergy with the MCU used to be a thing for a while but for some time now it seems that comics have largely turned away from that. There's some rumours Doctor Strange may feature more in upcoming Spider-Man stories due to him allegedly being in movie but that's about it.

I suppose it's possible if Thor 4 is going to be more space themed but I doubt it after Endgame gave us a very touching goodbye to Frigga.
Old 02-03-2021, 05:37 PM   #12
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Is Angela still an asgardian or is she finally allowed to be an angel?
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote