The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 02-27-2021, 10:57 PM   #41
frank_one
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Hmm... can you advise me? I tried to find a way to emulate "Adventures of Mana" from mobile on PC (and then I tried to find a way to emulate the same game on PS Vita only to spend 2 hours on it to realize PS Vita emulation isn't "there yet"), but I couldn't make it work.
The way it works is that you don't need to emulate the game but you must emulate the whole operating system, Android.
As sumac already said, you need to download an Android emulator (BlueStacks or NoxPlayer) and then you install the game through the Google Play Store like you would do on your phone. That's it.
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 04:43 AM   #42
Sumac
Banned

I've never played any FF game (except few minutes in FF1 and FF13). My friends didn't have SNES or interest in JRPGs and later we had too many money problems back in the 90s to allow me PS1 or game magazines, so I didn't even know that FF7 was a thing or how big it was until after 2007 or so.

So discovering all of this is kind of interesting, but sad to me, since it is unlikely that I am gonna play any of those games.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 04:51 AM   #43
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
I've never played any FF game (except few minutes in FF1 and FF13). My friends didn't have SNES or interest in JRPGs and later we had too many money problems back in the 90s to allow me PS1 or game magazines, so I didn't even know that FF7 was a thing or how big it was until after 2007 or so.

So discovering all of this is kind of interesting, but sad to me, since it is unlikely that I am gonna play any of those games.
Really, just play any of them. None of them are connected at all.

For me, I think to try and play FF7, 8, or 9 again all the way through is going to be a tall order (and yes, I own the "remix" versions of all 3 on PS4 that put them in "HD"). Sh*tty PS1 polygons age poorer than 16 bit sprites, IMO. FF IV, V, and VI still seem playable.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 05:52 AM   #44
Sumac
Banned

I know the games are not connected (except for specific sequels and Ivalice subseries), but still there are too many of them and they are not platformers or shooters, which can be finished in 3-4 days.

Besides, they are different versions of first 6 games, so it is always a problem what to choose. Like first game has about 7-8 different versions with different graphics and content.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 10:40 AM   #45
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Really, just play any of them. None of them are connected at all.

For me, I think to try and play FF7, 8, or 9 again all the way through is going to be a tall order (and yes, I own the "remix" versions of all 3 on PS4 that put them in "HD"). Sh*tty PS1 polygons age poorer than 16 bit sprites, IMO. FF IV, V, and VI still seem playable.
I got Super Mario 3D All-Stars when it came out and played Super Mario 64 again and boy that game didn't age too well. The camera had always been faulty but nwoadays it's even worse. And the constant feeling that you're walking on ice made it pretty frustrating. Add joycon drift to that and you have a dangerous combo.

The graphics also, naturally, look dated.

It's a shame because Mario 64 was a massive game for its generation and acclaimed by many as the greatest game ever made around 1996.

Ocarina of Time also aged, but that game is still more playable than Mario 64. It's mechanics still work well. It's just that it doesn't feel as epic anymore since several great action adventure games have been made since then and a younger gamer is probably better off playing those. Someone born in the year of 2000 isn't going to be wowed by Ocarina of Time. That being said, the 3DS remake was a good remake. So I definitely would recommend giving that one a try.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 12:58 PM   #46
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post

The original FF7 is a very easy RPG, it's why it became so popular. It was basically the wests "babies first RPG" for a lot of people who were teenagers in the PS1 era or people who don't like turn-based RPG's in general. You never have to grind and the game on Switch/PS4/PC has a 3x speed option where you can speed up the battles/gameplay so you don't have to sit through the same attack animations over and over.

Besides that the game is only about 30 hours long which is short for RPG standards. I played through it for the first time recently and really enjoyed it.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 02:23 PM   #47
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
The original FF7 is a very easy RPG, it's why it became so popular. It was basically the wests "babies first RPG" for a lot of people who were teenagers in the PS1 era or people who don't like turn-based RPG's in general. You never have to grind and the game on Switch/PS4/PC has a 3x speed option where you can speed up the battles/gameplay so you don't have to sit through the same attack animations over and over.

Besides that the game is only about 30 hours long which is short for RPG standards. I played through it for the first time recently and really enjoyed it.
Are you talking about the plot/story only? Or are you including sidequests and other stuff in those 30 hours? Because what's a JRPG without any of those things?
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 04:07 PM   #48
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Are you talking about the plot/story only? Or are you including sidequests and other stuff in those 30 hours? Because what's a JRPG without any of those things?
I mean most of the sidequests besides whatever those max materia quests are can all be done really fast especially if you know where everything is. FF7 doesn't even have many major sidequests outside recruiting Yuffie and Vincent (and the quests associated with them), everything else is just picking up special moves or whatever.
Old 06-10-2021, 03:07 AM   #49
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Just finished installing the new PS5 version of this ("Intergrade"), plus the new Yuffie sidequel that adds 2 chapters. Will see what this is about shortly.

Dabbling a little, though, in my old saved games... this looks pretty incredible.
Old 06-12-2021, 01:58 PM   #50
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Finished the new Yuffie "intermission." It's two chapters and you can expect to play about 3 hours, unless you want to engage in the "Fort Condor" mini game that's around town (totally optional).

It's just about exactly as I imagined it would be. A lot of reused assets, some new ones, and a pretty quick affair. The story is surprisingly emotional, particularly at the end. Yuffie herself is a lot of fun. I like how she "Naruto runs" when she's trying to be stealthy.

I don't know if it was worth $20 (maybe... $10?) but it was decent. The end of it even brings the main cast a little further ahead than in the ending of the main game. And yeah, it's really looking like no overworld map ("THIS is where they go after Midgar!").
Old 06-15-2021, 05:04 PM   #51
CyberCubed
Overlord

I hope it doesn't take long for FF7 Part 2. It's likely not coming till 2023 at the earliest, and that's already 2 years from now.
Old 06-15-2021, 05:09 PM   #52
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I hope it doesn't take long for FF7 Part 2. It's likely not coming till 2023 at the earliest, and that's already 2 years from now.
I sincerely hope they didn't pull anybody off of working on FF7 Remake Part 2 to work on this Yuffie intermission. That would be very upsetting to know.
Old 06-15-2021, 05:18 PM   #53
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Might never get finished, the remake underperformed and any second part will only sell less.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 05:28 PM   #54
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Might never get finished, the remake underperformed
Did it?

https://www.slashgear.com/final-fant...enix-07632536/

“the highest selling digital release on the PlayStation platform in Square Enix history.”
Old 06-15-2021, 06:04 PM   #55
sdp
Megan Fox = April

I believe it got stuck at around 5 million copies while the original sold over 12 million. Another SquareEnix property Shadow of the tomb raider sold 4 million copies and SquareEnix doesn't seem to know where to take the franchise anymore since each Tomb Raider game has sold less than the previous and even the reboot was reported to have underperformed with only 8 million. It isn't the 90s when selling over a million was a success. And FF7 was supposed to be their "huge hit" with decades worth of people asking for it. FF and JRPGs aren't as big anymore and SE likely wanted it to be much bigger than what it did. Like Sonic the Hedgehog 4 never got Episode III perhaps it'll be the same with FF7, especially with how long they planned on stretching it out.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 06:28 PM   #56
Leo656
The Franchise

A LOT of people don't want to play it in "chapters' with two-year breaks in between. They want to wait until it's complete and play the entire thing in one straight shot. Sure, that's gonna be like another 10 years at minimum but I understand why they'd rather just wait.

The delivery model for this game is stupid. "I get to play this awesome FF7 remake in little chunks, about 10% of the story at a time!" That's dumb. I understand that it's so "hi-def" and graphically polished that it takes that long just to make the damn game, but... maybe it shouldn't be. I don't think anyone would cry about it if it were less graphically impressive with the flipside being that they wouldn't need to take 2-to-5 years in between "chapters". By the time they get to the stuff that was Disc 3 of the original game, nobody's even still gonna care. People who were kids when Chapter 1 of the remake came out are gonna be married with kids by then.

It's like, a FF7 remake is something everybody's wanted for ages, and then when they finally do it, they do it the absolute dumbest way possible. It actually WOULDN'T shock me if they never get to even finish it. And then what are you left with?

Dumb.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 06:38 PM   #57
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

All they should've done was bring the visuals up to like the XV standard while maintaining the same structure and overworld map of VII. Add some dungeons and bonus sidequests and done!

They didn't need to make FF VII: The Semi-Interactive Action movie.
Old 06-15-2021, 06:45 PM   #58
Leo656
The Franchise

Yeah. A lot of people definitely were not expecting the "remake" to be... literally a completely new game with some of the same skeleton of the original. In fact, that pissed a lot of people off. A ton of my friends JUST wanted the same game they loved as teenagers, just with better graphics and some bonus features/extra content. They didn't want everything completely reworked from the ground up, that's overkill.

Points for effort, but literally nobody asked them to go ahead and do that. And I've always had a bad feeling that it would backfire on them.

Still haven't played it yet. Still don't have a PS4 or 5. I'm one of those people who doesn't want to play through the first little bit of the plot and then sit around with blue balls for 5 years waiting for the next part. I've heard good things about it (even from some of my friends who flat-out hate the redone storyline and the delivery model), but I'm probably gonna wait until there's more game to play... hopefully we will get the entire game, eventually. I'd definitely just take a month or so and just play the entire thing A to Z, if that's ever an option. But playing through a tiny chunk of the story, wait 2-3 years, play a little more, repeat and repeat... nah, I'm not interested in doing that at all.

Old 06-15-2021, 07:00 PM   #59
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Might never get finished, the remake underperformed and any second part will only sell less.
sdp, lol. You visit ResetEra and you know that's not true.
Old 06-15-2021, 07:27 PM   #60
Leo656
The Franchise

Saxon = Joke Account