The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Books, Comics, and Other Literature

Notices

Old 09-08-2018, 04:51 PM   #81
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

https://amp.newsarama.com/41742-gran...hing-ring.html

Power Rings are magicial wishing rings.
Old 09-09-2018, 02:51 AM   #82
neatoman
Emperor

Well, the Alan Scott version was meant to draw parallels with the Aladdin story, so I'm not exactly baffled by this decision. Hell, the Aladdin parallels even carry over to the Corps version, that's where the Ring and Lantern come from in the first place.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 04:09 AM   #83
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
https://amp.newsarama.com/41742-gran...hing-ring.html

Power Rings are magicial wishing rings.
FAKE news. Morrison is literally reciting what power rings have always done since the 1960s, not suggesting there is new powers. If you read 3 or 4 comics before the Geoff Johns age you would understand.

Morrison making Green Lantern his thing in 2018 is literally the best thing to happen to Green Lantern since 1994.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 06:31 AM   #84
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

I never knew of Aladdin parallels of course the Scott Weinger/Robin Williams Disney version is what dominates my knowledge and may deter one source's inspiration of another since I am not nearly as familar outside of the 1992 film which is 51 years after Alan Scott's debut.

I am definitely open to what Grant has planned. Looking forward to it.

Andrew, you hate Geoff Johns as much as I hate Dan Didio or Zarius hates Dan Slott!
Old 09-11-2018, 06:08 PM   #85
Avenger
Thug

Quote:
I never knew of Aladdin parallels of course the Scott Weinger/Robin Williams Disney version is what dominates my knowledge and may deter one source's inspiration of another since I am not nearly as familar outside of the 1992 film which is 51 years after Alan Scott's debut.

I am definitely open to what Grant has planned. Looking forward to it.

Andrew, you hate Geoff Johns as much as I hate Dan Didio or Zarius hates Dan Slott!
Maybe he hates Geoff Johns, but we can't deny the impact of Geoff Johns on the GL universe in term of popularity. It brought many new readers (myself included) that will continue to follow the GL universe and will learn about past titles and events.

We had 4 GL titles during New 52 (+ Sinestro & Larfleeze). For Rebirth we had 2 titles and now we will probably have only one. I didn't read much Grant Morisson's stuff but I hope I will like him on GL.

I took my distance from the GL universe after buying volume 6 (godhead issues) because I was frustrated to again only a part of an event. I bought volumes 7 & 8 a few days ago so I finally finished New 52.
Avenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 06:26 PM   #86
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Most of my Hal Jordan reading has been either GL: Rebirth and beyond or the issues he partook throughout thr entireity of the JL of A satelitte era (which I own like the Hal lead titles Rebirth and beyond). However, I have read a few issues here and there like the first several stories featuring Hal, key search for America issues with Green Arrow, and the stuff with the revived title reestablishing Hal at Ferris Air and with Carol. For a long time I wondered where Evergreen City and the difting came about. I found my answer in an article today.
https://www.cbr.com/green-lantern-ca...-identity/amp/
Old 09-11-2018, 08:45 PM   #87
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Most of my Hal Jordan reading has been either GL: Rebirth and beyond or the issues he partook throughout thr entireity of the JL of A satelitte era
I'm sorry. And "the satellite era of JL"? They had a satellite station since the 60s... nothing new.
Old 09-12-2018, 05:30 AM   #88
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I'm sorry. And "the satellite era of JL"? They had a satellite station since the 60s... nothing new.
Sorry about what? I enjoy both runs for the most part. I own every issue of my favorite era of the Justice League, the satelilitte era. The satellitte era is 1970 to 1984. You are thinking about the moonbase in addition to that from the Magificent Seven era (1997-2006) as well as other bases. I am talking about the run that is labeled the satellitte era.
Old 09-27-2018, 06:22 PM   #89
Avenger
Thug

I just bought the first five volumes of the rebirth serie (Hal Jordan and the GLC), and I have to say I had a very good time.

The focus is mostly on Hal (of course) but also on the 3 other human lanterns. It is much more interesting than having each one of them working alone in their own serie. For me, this is near perfection in term of casting and interaction.

At first I wasn't sure to like Robert Venditti on GL, but now I can say it will remain as one of my favorite run. (unless the 2 last volumes are very bad)

I recommand it to anyone wanting to have a good time reading Green Lantern.

Before I can read Grant Morisson's run, I'll probably continue with the serie Simon Baz/Jessican Cruz, and the 90's Kyle Rayner serie.
Old 10-02-2018, 06:24 PM   #90
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Morrison explains "The" of The Green Lantern title.

https://www.cbr.com/why-grant-morris...n-lantern/amp/
Old 10-02-2018, 07:45 PM   #91
IMJ
Emperor

I've got a modest GL run spanning the early Silver Age books up until the new 52 relaunch where I gave up. I thought the Sinestro Corps War was terrific, but after that the Rainbow Corps thing lost me a bit - I didn't hate the concept, but by Blackest Night it ran thin and never got me back.

I love the Silver Age books for the keys, but for me the best era of GL was basically the volume three era drawn by Mark Bright. I've got a slabbed GL v2 #7 which was a helluva steal at the time - 1st Sinestro. All of my other GL books are just bagged and boarded - Silver through Bronze in Mylite 2's with Gerber boards.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 07:45 AM   #92
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

This is an interesting bit of Green Lantern history.
https://www.cbr.com/hal-jordan-green...me-coined/amp/

Props to you for not sticking to a particular hero Avenger. If Hal is not involved I have no interest aside from John being a part of an ensemble cast or playing back up to Hal Jordan.

I do wonder what started the instability with Hal Jordan behind-the-scenes which does seem ignored. What I mean is Hal inspired by Barry's happiness with Iris planned to propose to Carol, but playing hero caused him to be absent thus lose her. Not being able to deal with he had at least three unrelated jobs in three different places outside of Coast City. This lasted from 1969 to 1979, an entire decade.
Old 10-16-2018, 04:47 PM   #93
Avenger
Thug

Quote:

Props to you for not sticking to a particular hero Avenger. If Hal is not involved I have no interest aside from John being a part of an ensemble cast or playing back up to Hal Jordan.

I do wonder what started the instability with Hal Jordan behind-the-scenes which does seem ignored. What I mean is Hal inspired by Barry's happiness with Iris planned to propose to Carol, but playing hero caused him to be absent thus lose her. Not being able to deal with he had at least three unrelated jobs in three different places outside of Coast City. This lasted from 1969 to 1979, an entire decade.
I think ANY green lantern could have job stability issue when you have to leave in space for weeks. Maybe they insisted on Hal for that particular point because it's part of his gimmick but it could apply to anyone.

For the loving part, leaving earth for weeks is no worse than living the country for weeks as military. Again, this is part of Hal's character who can't get his life together.

The articles you provide here are interesting. I sometime search on the web for "green lantern vs star wars" or other stuff like that, but it's fun to have someone bringing some news or stories.
Old 10-16-2018, 05:36 PM   #94
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
I think ANY green lantern could have job stability issue when you have to leave in space for weeks. Maybe they insisted on Hal for that particular point because it's part of his gimmick but it could apply to anyone.

For the loving part, leaving earth for weeks is no worse than living the country for weeks as military. Again, this is part of Hal's character who can't get his life together.

The articles you provide here are interesting. I sometime search on the web for "green lantern vs star wars" or other stuff like that, but it's fun to have someone bringing some news or stories.
I think it became a part of Hal over time. Perhaps sales were low for Green Lantern compared to The Flash which is why Hal wondered for a decade and lost Carol. Parts of it were succezsful such as the Discovering America with Ollie angle though like Englehart's Detective Comics and JL of A runs were appreciated retroactively not while on the spinner rack. Hal was not the test pilot who dated his childhood crush turned boss like current mythos would suggest.

I get recommended articles on my Android feed. Here is another one.
https://www.cbr.com/green-lantern-earth/amp/

Tomorrow ends an era as Hal meets Cyborg Superman over Coast City on the publisging 25th abniversary of Coast City's drstruction. Like John Stewart ans Xanshi, the destructiin of Coast City needs to be put behind the character.

Will the return of Oa be explained or will Morrision pick and choose what is in conti uity in his space police procedural?
Old 10-16-2018, 05:43 PM   #95
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:

Oh, Hal is a mess. Geoff wants you to believe he's Maverick from Top Gun, womanizer extraordinaire... but the reality is he was always in long term relationships or pining over one woman, crying all the time and super emotional.
Old 10-16-2018, 06:11 PM   #96
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Oh, Hal is a mess. Geoff wants you to believe he's Maverick from Top Gun, womanizer extraordinaire... but the reality is he was always in long term relationships or pining over one woman, crying all the time and super emotional.
I always saw him as childhood sweethearts with Carol, but Hal's dedication to his duty as Green Lantern prevents happiness, like how Bruce's dedication to protecting Gotham prevents his. I know he dated others, but did not stick the way Carol did. Hal even gave up his green lantern identity for her for 2 and half years in the mid 80s giving John Stewart the mantle. Eve Doremus, Jill Pearlman,Olivia Reynolds, the ackward flirtation with Arisia and ackward flirtation with Powergirl may give people the idea of him being a player, but its more of the one thing that holds Hal hostage his rentlentless dedication to his heroic duty not even fear of commitment. GLs are not suppposed to have fear let alone of committment.

Last edited by MikeandRaph87; 10-16-2018 at 06:27 PM.
MikeandRaph87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 06:43 PM   #97
Avenger
Thug

Quote:
Hal was not the test pilot who dated his childhood crush turned boss like current mythos would suggest.
Quote:

My question would be: So what?

Geoff made Hal this way, but it is just another writer. In 15 years, maybe we'll have another "all new super duper secret origins" and we'll learn that Hal always hesitated with Carol because deep down he's gay, or whatever else.

Hal Jordan from Earth 1 is different; maybe one day this version will retcon the womanizer. The good news are: you still can read your old comics and enjoy it. It won't disapear because a retcon happened.

Comparing Green Lantern today vs 1972 is like comparing Batman today vs the Super Friends era. The culture is different, the readers are different. I think this is no use to be angry because a character's version is different from writer to writer.

We're suppose to talk how much we like green Lantern and why, not playing at "my favorite version is better than your's"
Old 10-16-2018, 09:47 PM   #98
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
We're suppose to talk how much we like green Lantern and why, not playing at "my favorite version is better than your's"
Well, on that point I think those kinds of conversations are woven into the fabric of superhero fandom. I've had a bit of an Iron Man hobby since I was a kid. The character version that I subscribe to the most starts with Layton and Michelinie, spans John Byrne's stuff and dovetails into Len Kaminki's run. And then after that I felt really lucky to have Kurt Busiek write as amazing an Iron Man run as he pumped out.

Fast forward 8 years after Busiek and now modern fans think that Matt Fraction's run was some kind of defining set of books. But in fact I'd argue day and night about how awful that run was, that it was some of the worst Iron Man ever, and that it took what Downey did with a snarkey Stark and turned it into a much declining character parody without much else going on month to month. Fraction's Iron Man is one of the character's lows that hardcore fans tend to hate on.

From Busiek to Fraction is two completely different Iron Man characters.

The same goes with GL. You start off by wanting to see a guy with a cool power set kicking some ass, but then someone writes a definitive story of some kind and you realize that those depths are a character pattern that you subscribe to. When a new writer basically ***** on that, as a long term fan it grates.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 05:14 AM   #99
Avenger
Thug

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
Well, on that point I think those kinds of conversations are woven into the fabric of superhero fandom. I've had a bit of an Iron Man hobby since I was a kid. The character version that I subscribe to the most starts with Layton and Michelinie, spans John Byrne's stuff and dovetails into Len Kaminki's run. And then after that I felt really lucky to have Kurt Busiek write as amazing an Iron Man run as he pumped out.

Fast forward 8 years after Busiek and now modern fans think that Matt Fraction's run was some kind of defining set of books. But in fact I'd argue day and night about how awful that run was, that it was some of the worst Iron Man ever, and that it took what Downey did with a snarkey Stark and turned it into a much declining character parody without much else going on month to month. Fraction's Iron Man is one of the character's lows that hardcore fans tend to hate on.

From Busiek to Fraction is two completely different Iron Man characters.

The same goes with GL. You start off by wanting to see a guy with a cool power set kicking some ass, but then someone writes a definitive story of some kind and you realize that those depths are a character pattern that you subscribe to. When a new writer basically ***** on that, as a long term fan it grates.
Well, you're right. This a forum, so it is good to debate which version we consider the best.

Maybe I didn't write it the good way, but my problem is more about "my favorite version is better than your's so you're not a true fan because you don't like my version"

I consider you're as much an Ironman's fan as the next guy who like Matt Fraction's run, and vice-versa.
Old 10-17-2018, 09:17 AM   #100
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Hal defeated Cyborg Superman with a little help from friends, generic alien green lanterns. It unfortunately was not a final defeat as Henshaw vanished. Poor mom and son too.

So Oa was being quietly reconstructed which is why it was mentioned in the solicit for Morrision's upcoming run. Comic book logic. Whatever.

Tags
green lantern