The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion > Platinum Dunes TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 01-23-2015, 06:34 PM   #41
syk_skillz
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
That would have been even worse. The last thing we need is more coincidences.
I know, that why i said it was dumb, I just said something that come off the top of my head while working within the script they had. Alternate version of it could have been that he saved turtles and Splinter before being chased and caught while dropping glass where turtles and Splinter fall in sewer(to reference the original orgin) and murdered with Splinter hearing Yoshi screaming from pain.
Old 01-23-2015, 07:30 PM   #42
Galactus
Foot Elite

I empathize somewhat with an actor who signs on in good faith then comes to realize that what he was cast in isn't exactly all he thought it would be.

Based on what he and some of the others have said it's clear there was more to this movie in many aspects. I mean they all made a point to say about the turtles feel cut off and rejected from society and obviously we saw that they were trying to maintain some martial arts but all that ended up on the cutting room floor for whatever reason.

Where my sympathy grows short is that the whole situation was avoidable. As people have said before their insistence on going the most expensive rout to bring the characters to life when they didn't exactly have the money to do an adequate job when there was better methods to use is annoying. Anyone could see they bit off way more than they could chew. Not only that but while this movie didn't exactly have a Transformers-size budget it wasn't exactly peanuts they were playing with, especially if it's true they upped the budget for the re-shoots. You have to wonder how much they needlessly pissed away by not having a solid plan but this is how Bay has been known to work and several of the actors including Masamune who otherwise I thought has some good insights into the movie have praised it as a good thing that they can film so many different versions and sort it all out in the edit.

I also find Howard and Masamune's belief things will be better in the sequel to be even more naive than the fans who seem hell bent they'll fix all the mistakes of the first. I have doubts that the budget will be much more than the 2014 movie and any extra will go towards the extra two motion captured characters they've promised and possibly Casey Jones and even bigger action set pieces do we really think they'll have money to spare for scenes giving the turtles and their story depth?

That's even assuming the budget does get increased. I don't think this movie has had the commercial and (especially) audience reception that should make Paramount eager to throw more money at a sequel. The hiring of Dave Green who will no doubt come with a cheaper paycheck and is really only known for shooting neat visuals on a tight budget might suggest they are throwing less money at the next. At very least certain aspects will have cut corners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by syk_skillz View Post
I wonder what was cut out from the back story because we still don't know how Splinter knew who shredder was and the lack of Yoshi gives no reason for a rivalry. Also hope in sequel Splinter mentions he also learned ninjitsu also from watching found DVDs or something also because learning and teaching from book is ridiculous.
I'm pretty sure in one interview Leibesman regretted that he couldn't put more toddler turtles stuff into the movie as he planned. If I remember correctly he wanted to show one or more getting into some kind of accident or trouble and that being the basis for Splinter teaching them ninjitsu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
Sacks was meant to be Shredder in the "final" script, hence why Splinter knows about Shredder. But with the re-write of making Shredder a separate character, they didn't extend the re-writing enough to explain how Splinter knew who Shredder was.

Or Splinter deliberately held back vital information from his sons... Something I wouldn't hold agains a guy who choke holds his kid for sneaking out...
I still think Splinter picking up more than very basic information about The Foot while he was in the lab is sketchy. Just how in depth were those conversations be? In fact we only know he overheard one and that was in midst of a fire regardless of whethr Sacks was Shredder or simply Shredder's son.

Last edited by Galactus; 01-23-2015 at 07:55 PM.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 07:39 PM   #43
Bry
So Long, Stinktown!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactus View Post
You have to wonder how much they needlessly pissed away by not having a solid plan but this is how Bay has been known to work and several of the actors including Masamune who otherwise I thought has some good insights into the movie making have praised it as a good thing that they can film so many different versions and sort it all out in the edit.
Thing is (as I'm sure we all know after seeing this movie) that method means you don't really have a story at all; you have a bunch of pieces you're cobbling together and hoping nobody notices they don't really fit. There's a certain amount of editing and re-working that even great stories will have as a part of the process, but that's not what this was - this was a non-story where you could replace and swap out entire characters without effecting the overall plot. Any kind of story that has that many disposable or interchangeable elements can't even be called a "story".

Last edited by Bry; 01-24-2015 at 05:54 AM.
Bry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 03:20 PM   #44
Galactus
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bry View Post
Thing is (as I'm sure we all know after seeing this movie) that method means you don't really have a story at all; you have a bunch of pieces you're cobbling together and hoping nobody notices they don't really fit. There's a certain amount of editing and re-working that even great stories will have as a part of the process, but that's not what this was - this was a non-story where you could replace and swap out entire characters without effecting the overall plot. Any kind of story that has that many disposable or interchangeable elements can't even be called a "story".
Oh I know.

It's kinda an irony that the some actors have flat out said that they're disappointed certain things didn't make it in the finished picture over others while still praising a Michael Bay's methods of acquiring so much money to try so many differing takes. Do they not realize that this is prime reason why things where a bit a mess or they didn't have enough money to include certain things.

Last edited by Galactus; 01-25-2015 at 09:24 PM.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 10:37 PM   #45
Xav
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennydreadful View Post
The "minimal Turtles because the budget wouldn't cover the CG" just can't be excused, to me. Like, it's down to the producers and the studio to manage that sh*t. If you can't afford to animate the title characters of the f*cking movie... then maybe you need to go back to the drawing board and consider:

a) adding in some practical Turtle fx
b) reviewing your script - because not for nothing, but the 1990 film didn't need to have big expensive action sequences with trucks to be exciting, or
c) not focusing on hiring 'named' actors in the hopes of having some sort of box office draw (not to mention double-dipping by forking out twice for both Leo and Splinter's acting).
Or you know, not wasting money CGI'ing a character who is supposed to be a human ninja,
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 04:13 PM   #46
#MechaFresh
Thug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xav View Post
Or you know, not wasting money CGI'ing a character who is supposed to be a human ninja,
Very good point.

I thought Robo-Shredder was a bit too much

Leonardo: Ninja Shoe Repair?

April: Ninja Video Rentals?

Donatello: Ninja Dentist? Ow!

#MechaFresh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comicbookmovie, tmnt