The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 10-04-2013, 01:24 PM   #81
blindturtle02
Foot Elite

I'm looking forward to the new trilogy. I've liked all of the films so far. I'm finally able to read all of the novels in their entirety and love those as well. I'm ok if these films are in a separate continuity. I wasn't too keen on it at first but after giving it some thought I mellowed out a bit. Hope we're still getting episode VII in 2015. Of course I'll have to buy the toys too. Does anyone know if Hasbro is still going to be producing the figures and vehicles for the new trilogy? It's strange not seeing a bit of SW merch at my local TRU or Walmart btw.
Old 11-07-2013, 03:09 PM   #82
Hazel-rah
Random Punk

Confirmed released date for Star Wars Episode 7 announced. December 18, 2015. Kinda bummed it breaks tradition of a May release.
Hazel-rah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 03:16 PM   #83
CyberCubed
Overlord

Disney doesn't want Star Wars to compete with Avengers 2, there is no reason to release two of their biggest movies close together. This gives them enough time to make money off of both.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 03:22 PM   #84
Hazel-rah
Random Punk

Yes, I understand the business side. Also a May release would really rush this movie, but I would rather them push back to May 2016. But I know they want to start returns on their 4.5 billion.
Hazel-rah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 04:59 PM   #85
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

Disney is going to make so much money in 2015: Episode VII, Age of Ultron, 2 Pixar films, Ant-Man and Tomorrowland.
NinjaPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 05:01 PM   #86
Peanut
Second Gear

Ant-Man screams money to me.
Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 05:07 PM   #87
CyberCubed
Overlord

Hopefully the Batman/Superman movie does just as well in 2015. But since Man of Steel and the previous 3 Batman films did well, I'm sure this one will too.
Old 11-08-2013, 11:26 AM   #88
blindturtle02
Foot Elite

I'll have to tell my better half about the release date. She was introduced to Star Wars when she got her special edition trilogy for Christmas in 97 so she'll be happy about seeing Ep VII around the holidays. I imagine I'll have nothing but Star Wars items on my Christmas list about two years from now. Can't wait.
Old 11-08-2013, 11:42 AM   #89
Zulithe
Ninjutsu Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
Ant-Man screams money to me.
I don't know about money but I think it will be great, so it has that going for it. Edgar Wright can do no wrong!

If you look at Iron Man and the other Avengers members prior to 2008, I think they were at about the same place. Kinda B-tier Marvel characters that took a seat behind Spidey, X-Men and to a lesser extent, Hulk. A well done film will propel the character to new places, and build dat Disney bank account back up (they gonna make up that Lone Ranger and John Carter loss sometime)
Zulithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 11:55 AM   #90
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulithe View Post
I don't know about money but I think it will be great, so it has that going for it. Edgar Wright can do no wrong!
Can't help but wonder if they'll conveniently ignore Ant-Man's "character flaws" for the sake of keeping it safe for the kids like they did with Iron Man's chronic alcoholism. You know, the fact that Ant Man repeatedly hits his wife and its kind of a big part of who the character is (yet somehow he gets to stand next to Captain America on posters. I love comics!). There's no way they'll address that in the movie, but again, it's kind of a big part of his established character.

Kind of shows how far into the well they're reaching to keep making these movies. They have to more or less ignore a character's entire personality and backstory, essentially making it a different character, just for the sake of squeezing out one more movie. I mean, let's be serious. Ant-Man? Come on, now.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 11:30 AM   #91
chrisdude
Foot Elite

The "Lucasfilm Story Group" apparently hopes to merge the EU and the film universe into a single canon.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...-matter-668958

https://twitter.com/HolocronKeeper/s...47757723430912
Old 01-09-2014, 01:03 PM   #92
blindturtle02
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdude View Post
The "Lucasfilm Story Group" apparently hopes to merge the EU and the film universe into a single canon.

Well best of luck to those guys. I love all things SW so this should prove interesting. Well when I say all things SW, I forgot about the Holiday Special. That was um... pretty difficult to sit through lol. The books and few comics I've been able to listen to via audio adaptation have been astounding though. Can't wait for Dec 2015!
Old 01-09-2014, 02:05 PM   #93
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdude View Post

This worries me. I'd rather Episodes 7-9 just stampede over all the EU garbage that's been spewn over the past two decades and clean the slate.

I enjoyed the book and comics for many years until they went wayyy overboard. And now it's literally unapproachable, with no way to ever, ever hope to catch up with it.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 02:57 PM   #94
sdp
-

If you actually read the quotes it actually seems like they're going to get rid of the old EU and now under Disney which only includes the movies and The Clone Wars TV show, everything that was previously "EU" is now going to be considered in the same level of canon, it doesn't matter if it's a comic/show/movie/game.

I don't know how I feel about that. I'm only familiar with a small part of the EU, but I've read excellent stories that I love and would hate to see go, and I've also read a few stinkers, and have read plenty of times the cluster **** that is the EU on wookiepedia.

It'd be nice if the new EU could take the best of the old EU and re-write it but as we have seen with DC and Marvel, I don't think it's possible, and many of the stories are just too good to be re-written like the Thrawn trilogy. it'd be sad to see some of my favorites go away though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel-rah View Post
Confirmed released date for Star Wars Episode 7 announced. December 18, 2015. Kinda bummed it breaks tradition of a May release.
Me too, I'd be willing to change the date to May 2016 for tradition sake but maybe December is a good time for a new SW movie, since it'll have more legs, and the last few times I've gotten in the SW mood it's been during winter. I'd like Ep.7, 8 and 9 to be 3 years appart instead of 2, that made the wait for each episode special I think not to mention now we'll have plenty of SW's one off films to tide us over no reason to diminish the Episode releases by releasing them so close to each other.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 03:02 PM   #95
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I'd just really hate to start Episode 7 with Luke having lost his wife, Leia and Han having lost 2 of their 3 kids (one of which having been a Sith Lord), and Chewbacca being lost... that's just way too much baggage to make people go back and read, whether they dwell on it in the new movies or not.
Old 01-09-2014, 03:09 PM   #96
CyberCubed
Overlord

It's rather obvious the comics are no longer canon and when the license goes back to Marvel in 2015 its going to be completely rebooted only following the events of the movies and the two cartoons they made.

Hopefully Dark Horse can write some sort of "finale" to their Star Wars continuity by the end of this year for long time fans.
Old 01-09-2014, 03:17 PM   #97
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
It's rather obvious the comics are no longer canon and when the license goes back to Marvel in 2015 its going to be completely rebooted only following the events of the movies and the two cartoons they made.
That's what I thought and was convinced of, but that article makes me wonder now. Because it's not as simple as de-canonizing just the novels, or just the comics... those two things are tied at the hip, as many Bantam/Del Rey SW novels reference many events from the comics, and vice versa. It's kind of an all or nothing affair, and I'd much rather them just jettison anything other than 1) The films (including the Ewok Adventure duology), and 2) The Clone Wars cartoon/CGI stuff.

Quote:
Hopefully Dark Horse can write some sort of "finale" to their Star Wars continuity by the end of this year for long time fans.
That'd be fair enough, I guess. Go out in style with a proper Dark Empire finisher or something (something "Empire's End" was not).
Old 01-09-2014, 10:08 PM   #98
sdp
-

The quotes from the guys in charge basically imply to me that all the EU is rebooted, they even mention it being a "soft reboot", with Marvel getting the license back and Del Rey probably losing it and EA being the exclusive game maker it definitely feels like it'll be a new EU, except that in this new EU everything will be canon, you can bet Ep.7 is going to ignore everything and we'll see Chewbacca there the same way the prequels ignored the EU. By soft reboot I'm guessing that very important novels might be re-printed and considered canon? I don't know but counting everything will be canon with everything, even with a tighter control we'll have a pretty crazy universe like the one the EU has now, because that's just what time and stories do to a universe, makes it infinitely more and more complicated.

The quotes also imply that pretty much everything besides the movies is being thrown away too. The only reason why The Clone Wars might be considered is because the people making Rebels are the same team. But good bye old Clone Wars cartoon and good bye the Ewok movies and previous shows as well like Droids and Ewoks.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 01:21 AM   #99
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

What's wrong with the f***ing Ewok movies?
Old 01-10-2014, 01:41 AM   #100
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Can't help but wonder if they'll conveniently ignore Ant-Man's "character flaws" for the sake of keeping it safe for the kids like they did with Iron Man's chronic alcoholism. You know, the fact that Ant Man repeatedly hits his wife and its kind of a big part of who the character is (yet somehow he gets to stand next to Captain America on posters. I love comics!). There's no way they'll address that in the movie, but again, it's kind of a big part of his established character.

Kind of shows how far into the well they're reaching to keep making these movies. They have to more or less ignore a character's entire personality and backstory, essentially making it a different character, just for the sake of squeezing out one more movie. I mean, let's be serious. Ant-Man? Come on, now.
I really find it hilarious that Hank is the Wife Beater of MU when it happened once during a mental breakdown, but Mr. "Fantastic" gets no flak for hitting his wife more then once. And even Spider-Man has struck his wife.

Ultimate Hank Pym on the other hand... But most characters in Ultimate Universe is a terrible asshole with few redeeming qualities.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cybercubedthesexmaniac, forceawakens, sharkbladetheshipper, tmnt