The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you enjoy the darker elements of TMNT?
Yes 68 86.08%
No 1 1.27%
I have mixed feelings on it 10 12.66%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-30-2014, 06:42 AM   #1
neatoman
Emperor

Darker aspects of TMNT

So while I have stated that I don't consider the "Grim and Gritty" Mirage comics to really live up to that reputation, I do certainly see darker aspects in TMNT. Tonally and storywise it's rarely very dark, but visually and thematically it can be dark.

Revenge, violence, black magic, mutalation etc, even stuff like that isn't always dark to the core, on the surface level it will still seem dark. And even if I don't consider any TMNT incarnation to be dark as whole (the ones I've experienced at least), the darker elements is what draws me to it, maybe because it's more sophiticated and unexpected from something called "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" than something like "Cowabunga Pizza Time Dude!".

So does the dark stuff draw you in or alienate you?
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 08:45 AM   #2
snake
Disgusting

It can draw me in. Too much dark is trying too hard to be edgy, and sometimes OT style camp is fun. The Nick show has a nice balance as well as (sometimes) 2k3.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 09:09 AM   #3
Luckyday
Mad Scientist

It what got into the series in the first place. Have I never read that cracked.com article, I would have kept on thinking that it was yet another funny talking animal show for kids. I was too young to appreciate the first and the second one didn't really impress me or I guess I didn't have time to watch it. Anyway, years later when I was reading an article titled "Disturbed origins of cartoon character", I saw a section of Teenage Mutant Ninja, and I was like

"The turtles force Shredder commit seppuku. Holy ****"

After that, I went around web to find anything TMNT mirage related and I was to get hold of the first five issues and well the rest is history.

At least that how I think it had happened.
We’re not unicorns!
WE’RE WOMEN AND WE TAKE WHAT WE WANT!
-Wendy Corduroy, Gravity Falls

Last edited by Luckyday; 11-30-2014 at 11:11 AM.
Luckyday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 10:48 AM   #4
Powder
So tired of this place

The dark themes of depression & isolation, among other things, is a big part of what makes Mirage my favorite iteration. The world is screwed & they know it.

"Life at best is bittersweet"

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 11:08 AM   #5
snake
Disgusting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
The dark themes of depression & isolation, among other things, is a big part of what makes Mirage my favorite iteration. The world is screwed & they know it.

Love stuff like that. Actual dark themes instead of blood and guts.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 11:11 AM   #6
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

I'd definitely say I enjoy the darker aspects of TMNT.

TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 12:41 PM   #7
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:

That's right. Most people that consider the comics too dark and gritty due to the blood and such don't know how comics work in comparison to the cartoons on tv based on the same characters. We see Deadpool get cut and such and regenerate in cartoons, but in the comics he gets as far as his guts spilled all over the place blood and all, and regenerates. They have Wolverine drink bottled water and never draw blood in the cartoons, while in the comics (before he died) he would drink beer, sleep around and hack and slash people to bloody bits. The Joker in cartoons will never do the stuff he did in the comics. And just see how tame Professor Pyg was in the cartoon when compared to the one in the comics.

The real darkness lies in the depressing themes and the horrible futures the turtles are going to have. Like the one with Raph and Shadow. Then we have issues where the Foot threaten to kill the family of one of their own if they fail to kill the turtles.... and the turtles win so...... And then there's one where Raph and a Foot Ninja have a drink and avoid being captured by aliens.... and then proceed to go back to their day-to-day without a thought on trying to rescue the victims that didn't get away because, hey, it's not their problem.

It's just stuff like that where the real dark and grit comes from, not just the blood that most comics show that cartoons never do. I'm not really sure if this particularly draws me in or pushes me away, per say. It's just comics and how they are. TMNT also has the extra advantage of the series actually being over, so to speak. Their futures are pretty much set in stone and I doubt Laird finishing Volume 4 will change that. There will be no New 52 change up or what-have-you. That's just how it's going to be.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 07:42 PM   #8
Levia24
Random Punk

Of course. Darker aspects gives the spice to everything. It's much more enjoying to watch.
Old 12-29-2014, 07:51 PM   #9
Cipher
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
I don't know if "dark" is the right way to put it, since, at least for me, that has some fairly juvenile connotations.

Which , don't get me wrong; the earlier Mirage issues are kind of juvenile, but not in that way. Instead they're kind of free-wheeling and high on their own energy and pastiche elements. They're gritty but their tongue is placed firmly in cheek.

Later, though? Look, there's only one reason I still really have fondness for this property and keep coming back to it. Later Mirage took the strange foundations of the series and spun them int something that -- while still completely embracing its anything-goes, comic-book wackiness -- approached those elements as a layer of isolating weirdness. Later Mirage is an indie smorgasboard, genre-mixing series about growing old, about being straight-up bizarre, about isolation, about things just not working out even for a group of wacky, comic-booky, easily relatable characters living bittersweet, low-key lives where not everything's wrapped up. (And though I hate some of what it's done, I think the Mirage series' oft-unspoken relationship with the larger Turtles media around it is a fascinating element.) It's not always great, but it's always super fascinating, doubly so when read as a whole.

The Mirage series does get very "adult." Adult in a way most superhero comics would never even touch. But I'd hesitate to ever call it "dark" with all the reductiveness that implies, especially with superhero/comic-book properties.

Quote:

Yep. You get the sense as Mirage goes on that, no matter how many steps they take as far as being good people, the Turtles are always on a path to tragedy because they're wrong just for existing (and, of course, because of their early actions and the circumstances they were raised for). I remember someone here a while back complaining that the bummer endings of all the Mirage plots seemed like pointless drudgery, but I'm like, "Dude, that's the point."

Just as it's also the point that it's tempered with all sorts of wackiness along the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yamagi
And then there's one where Raph and a Foot Ninja have a drink and avoid being captured by aliens.... and then proceed to go back to their day-to-day without a thought on trying to rescue the victims that didn't get away because, hey, it's not their problem.
Love that issue because it's Mirage in a nutshell. Absolute comic-book insanity, comically bleak ending; everyone goes on with their day.

Last edited by Cipher; 12-29-2014 at 07:59 PM.
Cipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 08:06 PM   #10
Oisterboy
Foot Soldier

I grew up with the original cartoon and loved it. When I got older I started to appreciate the first two movies more, and now that I'm an adult reading the comics is a real treat. I like that there's degrees of tone in the various turtles adaptations. Through the stages of my maturity there has always been a turtles medium for me to newly appreciate.
Old 09-11-2015, 03:01 PM   #11
Witless.reviews
New Recruit

I honestly prefer the lighter side of TMNT, especially the 2012 series. I didn't really mind the Mirage comics more adult centric themes. I just hated the artwork. It just reminds me of early Judge Dredd comics from the 80's.
Witless.reviews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 03:12 PM   #12
Witless.reviews
New Recruit

I honestly prefer the lighter side of TMNT, especially the 2012 series. I didn't really mind the Mirage comics more adult centric themes. I just hated the artwork. It just reminds me of early Judge Dredd comics from the 80's.
Witless.reviews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 03:29 PM   #13
Luckyday
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cipher View Post
I don't know if "dark" is the right way to put it, since, at least for me, that has some fairly juvenile connotations.

Which , don't get me wrong; the earlier Mirage issues are kind of juvenile, but not in that way. Instead they're kind of free-wheeling and high on their own energy and pastiche elements. They're gritty but their tongue is placed firmly in cheek.

Later, though? Look, there's only one reason I still really have fondness for this property and keep coming back to it. Later Mirage took the strange foundations of the series and spun them int something that -- while still completely embracing its anything-goes, comic-book wackiness -- approached those elements as a layer of isolating weirdness. Later Mirage is an indie smorgasboard, genre-mixing series about growing old, about being straight-up bizarre, about isolation, about things just not working out even for a group of wacky, comic-booky, easily relatable characters living bittersweet, low-key lives where not everything's wrapped up. (And though I hate some of what it's done, I think the Mirage series' oft-unspoken relationship with the larger Turtles media around it is a fascinating element.) It's not always great, but it's always super fascinating, doubly so when read as a whole.

The Mirage series does get very "adult." Adult in a way most superhero comics would never even touch. But I'd hesitate to ever call it "dark" with all the reductiveness that implies, especially with superhero/comic-book properties.
To me "dark" is what a teenager would think of what an adult TMNT would look like to which they think of ultra violence and nudie but it just comes across as so over the top to a point where becomes utter laughable like "Oh watch guys, here comes mister badass" with such sarcasm.

TMNT stray away from that by taking some things in a serious matter and doesn't try glamorize things like when Casey kill a guy and the guy doesn't bleed a pool of blood like a Quentin Tarantino film, but just drop dead without a dramatic final speech and Casey having a realistic human reaction "Oh ****! I didn't mean kill him" because otherwise he would look like a sociopath if he's cracking jokes after committed murder even if it was out of self defense.
We’re not unicorns!
WE’RE WOMEN AND WE TAKE WHAT WE WANT!
-Wendy Corduroy, Gravity Falls

Last edited by Luckyday; 09-12-2015 at 02:03 AM.
Luckyday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 09:59 PM   #14
Hurtszick
Random Punk

I love the darker aspect. I think for me the perfect balance was the first movie. But do t get me wrong I really liked the first animated series as well. I'm on the fence on the nick show. I mean I loved the story lines but I have a hard time getting into the animation style.
Old 09-12-2015, 11:35 AM   #15
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
So while I have stated that I don't consider the "Grim and Gritty" Mirage comics to really live up to that reputation, I do certainly see darker aspects in TMNT. Tonally and storywise it's rarely very dark, but visually and thematically it can be dark.

Revenge, violence, black magic, mutalation etc, even stuff like that isn't always dark to the core, on the surface level it will still seem dark. And even if I don't consider any TMNT incarnation to be dark as whole (the ones I've experienced at least), the darker elements is what draws me to it, maybe because it's more sophiticated and unexpected from something called "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" than something like "Cowabunga Pizza Time Dude!".

Did you read much Archie? It started adopting the 1987 cartoon, and then created new stories. Then you got som mix with light and darker tones.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 11:45 AM   #16
Wesley
Mad Scientist

I have mixed feelings about having darker aspects in tmnt. I've never read the comics, but I prefer TV shows that have a good balance of drama, action and comic relief (eg. Lost and Buffy). I thought the 2003 series did a great job at doing that.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 03:07 PM   #17
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Yes. I love blood, gore and violence. The more ruthless, the better.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 11:16 PM   #18
miru
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cipher View Post

Yep. You get the sense as Mirage goes on that, no matter how many steps they take as far as being good people, the Turtles are always on a path to tragedy because they're wrong just for existing (and, of course, because of their early actions and the circumstances they were raised for). I remember someone here a while back complaining that the bummer endings of all the Mirage plots seemed like pointless drudgery, but I'm like, "Dude, that's the point."

Just as it's also the point that it's tempered with all sorts of wackiness along the way.

Love that issue because it's Mirage in a nutshell. Absolute comic-book insanity, comically bleak ending; everyone goes on with their day.
Bravo, bravo Sir Cipher. I totally agree concerning Mirage's unique grim undertones in the later years. I could never see the story with Raph and Cha in the bar working anywhere but Mirage. If it were done elsewhere, Raph would be either with Casey or on a date with Mona Lisa/Ninjara/Alopex/Mezecal/Joi Renard, and they'd have to save those who didn't make it. In case Raph is on a date, he'd likely have to save the girl too. Instead, Raph and Cha just move on with their lives, pondering if the people will be slave labor or simply food. If they did make it unchanged, Mr. Enter would rant as children weep for their heroes.

The future stories also work well in this regard. In one asset, the mutants themselves are the bad guys, the badness brought upon by the Industrial Revolution bringing Global Warming and thus encouraging alien invasion. They are mistakes, unique. Other mutants seen are wicked, vile predators (Bloodsucker) or mindless creatures (the Arthropods from Tales vol.2 #17). "Loops" is a great example, as there was once a civilization of anthros, much like the mutants. It is gone now, all because of Leonardo's quest to fight Pai-Doth Noor.

Maybe this darkness is brought upon by Laird's distaste of the mega-franchise he had wrought. This rings especially true for "Loops", as a swat at the anthros found throughout the mythos. Maybe those mindless bugs are swats at that too?

In the end, Mirage is very different from the rest of the franchise, and will never happen again.
miru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 11:22 PM   #19
Powder
So tired of this place

Quote:
Originally Posted by miru View Post
If it were done elsewhere, Raph would be on a date with Mona Lisa/Ninjara/Alopex/Mezecal/Joi Renard
Stoooooooooooooop.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 02:31 AM   #20
cloud
Stone Warrior

If you pick up some of the Mirage comics that write about the future you would find that their future world is rather grim.
The Turtles are all separated and seem to have suffered a great lost and they are drifted apart.

I was really intrigued by the stories. It's a dark future but more grim than dark.
cloud is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mirage, tmnt