The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: Your opinion?
Yes 27 36.49%
No 47 63.51%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-19-2015, 12:23 PM   #1
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

Do you think Raph is getting enough character/central focus?

Since the official thread is getting clogged up, I thought I should make a new thread to discuss all the problems regarding Raph's treatment within the show. Please, discuss below.
Papenbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 01:07 PM   #2
Aaronardo
Mad Scientist

He seemed to have a lot of good moments in the first season, but after that (maybe even after the first half of the first season), he's been thrown to the side, almost as a background character. Now, he's more the butt of every Mikey joke than anything. I'd appreciate a character arc on him, and even though we're getting a Dark Raph plot, that's too little too late for the Raph fans.
"The Biosites have almost finished healing my flesh." - Shredder
"Because we're takin' the heart and you're goin' to jail!" - Donatello
Aaronardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 01:22 PM   #3
Vicky82
Emperor

I didn't think Raph got that much focus in season 1 but does have more focus in season 2.

If I hadn't known about the Dark Raph Story was happening, then I would have said he hasn't had any focus in season 3 but hearing about it and that the mind control story is the 2nd half of season 3 main arc then I expect he will get a lot more focus.

Vicky82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 01:41 PM   #4
Sabacooza
Mad Scientist

I voted no. He most definitely is not and as a Raph fan it's frustrating.
Sabacooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 01:49 PM   #5
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

I wouldn't necessarily say he's being mistreated, per se, and he's had decent small moments here and there, but for the most part for a while he's just kinda been... there. Present and still important at times as the muscle, but not a whole lot of interest happening. He does need some kind of ongoing storyline that centers on him and continues to be visited, much the way that Karai's story continues over time; the Donnie/April/Casey thing, etc. And more-so than just a focus on needing to learn to control his anger... because that's just simply who he is and that probably won't actually get anywhere. He wouldn't be the same grumpy little bugger Raph fans and TMNT fans in general know and love if he wasn't.

The loss of Casey as largely his friend has really kind of left him treading water in this series. They need to tap into more of what they'd started with when Raph and Casey first met.

And it's too bad Spike/Slash moved on so fast to his own thing largely disconnected from Raph... they could have done something with that, esp in a way that Slash could have continued to regard Raph as someone important, given that he had probably been like a pet-parent over Spike for years.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 01:55 PM   #6
GoldMutant
Control Your Narrative

Apologies for a long post, but I have a bit to say on this. I'm happy there's a thread for this now. Anyways, I'd yes and no for Raphael for several reasons:

Yes (agreement):
Interacting with other characters- Raph has gotten a bit of this with Spider Bytes, Fishface, and especially Slash when it came to opposing sides as well as Mikey and his signature friendship with Casey and feud with Leo. Slash and Destroy still remains a favorite episode of mine from season 2 and the show so far because of Raph developing more of accepting where's he usually gets angry at the antics of his family. The brotherly love between him and Michelangelo is still there along with the feud with Leo. Interactions seem okay for the most part, but need better development with certain elements like Donatello besides teasing and the budding friendship with Casey hasn't occurred too much yet.

Moments- Besides the sarcastic remarks made ("Is this a rescue or a romantic comedy?"), the cool, but rude member of the team has had a few memorable moments seen in the show. It could be that hug from Mikey in The Invasion or coming to terms with his anger in both Turtle Temper and The Good, The Bad, and Casey Jones. These moments might be limited for Raph when compared to other characters, but they are notable in their own right. Anyways, let's take a look at the negatives:

No (disagreement):
Little focus against enemies- Outside having the fewest character centered episodes Turtle wise, Raph really has no enemies to fight. Leo had Karai, have Shredder, Mikey has Rahzar, Casey now has Hun, and Donnie has a bit with the Kraang and a small extent Baxter. The enemies Raph has haven't been built on or have lost steam:

Slash: The two have made peace a little too early in my opinion and it could have been a very personal feud. It reminds me of the game Blaster Master, where Jason had to fight his mutated frog Fred. Either way, the interactions between these two are one of my personal favorites of this series, but the conflict could have been developed more.

Spider Bytes: Minor antagonist with only two appearances who only severed as a character episode for Raph.

Spy-Roach: A filler villain which showcases the phobia Raph has of insects.

Fishface: Since it can be seen the Turtles have gotten stronger over the seasons so far, Xever isn't a challenge. Considering what happened in Baxter's Gambit with Xever explaining his past, there could have been an opportunity to build off that to make these guys rivals, possibly in a "friendly" sort of way. (They'd still despise each other, but have a little respect for one another)

Episode-wise- When it comes to legitimate episodes, this is where I disagree. Raphael only has a small handful of actual episode development. The ones where he's a main focus are as followed (I also added in a few that might not qualify entirely, but deserve mention):

Season 1:
Turtle Temper- As the first of the five character development episodes leading to The Gauntlet, it demonstrated a signature of the character no matter the version: his anger. Solid episode to begin Raph's development as a character.

New Girl in Town- The episode which builds off the brotherly feud of the older brothers. While Leo struggles with Karai, the secondary plot has Raph leading Mikey and Donnie to stopping Snakeweed after questioning Leo's authority at the beginning. It comes to terms by Raph that being leader isn't all he thought it was, another sign of growth.

Cockroach Terminator- A filler episode for Raph's phobia of insects, nothing too big for the character. (it did give some funny moments of this season though between him and Mikey )

Baxter's Gambit (to a small extent)- This I'm on the fence about, but still label it a Raph episode to a small extent. I'd label it as it has Raph forcing to work with Fishface while the other brothers got Bradford.

Season 2:
Slash and Destroy- Just going to say this is possibly the best episode with Raph as the main character. It builds off Spike turning into Slash and obeying Raph's words like a "good" pet. It comes to terms with Raph caring for his family while also battling the pet he cared for overtime. Pretty dark episode for season 2's beginning and introduces Slash strongly while building off everything Raph has done to this point.

The Good, the Bad, and Casey Jones- Back to back strong episodes for the hothead with him coming to terms with his anger again. It does introduce the bond that Raphael gets with Casey,showing it as a friendly battle between the two before establishing them as a powerful team when they battle the Foot-Bots.

Newtralized!- Builds off the plotline with Slash and the relationship with Casey and Raph. It still felt like a disappointment to me as an episode as I expected a little too much, but it once more contributes to Raph's interactions with others.

Plan 10- The swapping of the brains allows Raph to see what is happening with the Kraang. Though Raphael is in the spotlight, it is more of a buildup episode for The Invasion and gives Nolan North a return as Raph since the 2007 film. Fun little episode overall.

Season 3:
Vision Quest- Since this is the last episode before going back to New York, it made sense all four were going to get some focus as a team. If you could tell though, the farm episodes didn't have a Raph-centered episode at all while everyone else did. Though a good episode that gives some awesome fighting and showing Raph's anger again, it could have been built on more. Either way, all the Turtles got equal screen time for this particular episode.

Casey Jones VS. The Underworld- Although Casey was the center focus here, it does add more to the friendship that Raph and Casey.

In total, of the 66 episodes shown so far, Raph has gotten a total of 7 episodes relating him as a major focus, 8 storyline wise when Vision Quest is counted, and 10 overall with Cockroach Terminator and the small extent of Baxter's Gambit. This is where the hothead has been downplayed to develop the other characters. While Donnie and Leo have developed well and Mikey getting most of the filler episodes, it leaves Raph out compared to his brothers. It would make sense as Raph has been a central focus in certain eras of the franchise such as the 1990 movie, TMNT, and TMNT 2014. Heck, he's been a focus since the beginning with the cartoons and comics as well the more you look at them. Remember, because he's also Kevin Eastman's favorite Turtle (I might be wrong here), he's normally going to get a lot of spotlight.

Overall, I think while Raph has gotten a good amount of screen time, but I feel he should have a few more episodes (at least 3) to develop his character more. So far, it seems Ciro wants to develop the brothers into the heroes we know and love: Leo as a strong leader, Donnie as a pacifist, and maturing Mikey. Wherever the road is taken, I'm looking forward to it for my personal favorite Turtle, especially the mind-controlled episode. (assuming the plot expands until near the end of the season)
Old 04-19-2015, 01:57 PM   #7
yellowmario27
Foot Soldier

I think while he doesn't have the most focus, his episodes that are focused on him are very good and are some of the best episodes...a lot better than the other characters
yellowmario27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 01:58 PM   #8
Warhorse
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaronardo View Post
He seemed to have a lot of good moments in the first season, but after that (maybe even after the first half of the first season), he's been thrown to the side, almost as a background character. Now, he's more the butt of every Mikey joke than anything. I'd appreciate a character arc on him, and even though we're getting a Dark Raph plot, that's too little too late for the Raph fans.
This. In season one and the first half of season 2, he had enough focus and screen time and importance for me to be satisfied, but after the WormQuake episode, I just felt as a character, he has become reductive of his formal self.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldMutant View Post

In total, of the 66 episodes shown so far, Raph has gotten a total of 7 episodes relating him as a major focus, 8 storyline wise when Vision Quest is counted, and 10 overall with Cockroach Terminator and the small extent of Baxter's Gambit. This is where the hothead has been downplayed to develop the other characters. While Donnie and Leo have developed well and Mikey getting most of the filler episodes, it leaves Raph out compared to his brothers. It would make sense as Raph has been a central focus in certain eras of the franchise such as the 1990 movie, TMNT, and TMNT 2014. Heck, he's been a focus since the beginning with the cartoons and comics as well the more you look at them. Remember, because he's also Kevin Eastman's favorite Turtle (I might be wrong here), he's normally going to get a lot of spotlight.
Sadly, you are wrong. Eastman said his favorite was Mikey. And I've said it before, but I will say it again, except for the 1990 and 2007 movie (which he more or less shared focus with Leo), he was not the cenrtal focus of any of the other cartoons. Fred Wolf, Mikey was the big focus, with Donnie runner up. 2k3 toon, it was easily Leonardo as the most focused, with Mikey a close second. Donnie was easily the third, and I think Raph had maybe 5 arcs in all, and either way, he was always upstaged by Leo. The comics were heavy with Leo and Donnie, at least the Mirage. Don't know much about the other versions.

Quote:
Overall, I think while Raph has gotten a good amount of screen time, but I feel he should have a few more episodes (at least 3) to develop his character more. So far, it seems Ciro wants to develop the brothers into the heroes we know and love: Leo as a strong leader, Donnie as a pacifist, and maturing Mikey. Wherever the road is taken, I'm looking forward to it for my personal favorite Turtle, especially the mind-controlled episode. (assuming the plot expands until near the end of the season)
I would also like it if Ciro and co would just finally drop his anger/temper for good and concentrate on the positives of Raph, which would be his protective instinct, his street smarts and able to read people, how he is the muscle of the group and show that he is also talented with engines and other mechanical things. Maybe they could make up things where the Turtles take on jobs to help out. Kind of like they did in the 2007 movie. Mikey could have the parties, Donnie with his tech support, Raph and Casey maybe could fix up cars and start their own mechanic business, Leo and April start their own ninjitsu training center.......

Last edited by Warhorse; 04-19-2015 at 02:15 PM.
Warhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 02:14 PM   #9
Meliwen
Foot Soldier

A main character needs a good balance of not just screentime, but importance to the plot and personal growth in some way. At this point in the show, Leo, Donnie and April have been getting character arcs and personal conflicts that last beyond one episode that contribute to the central story since the beginning (which is great), but they easily overshadow Raph and Mikey in that regard. Whenever Raph and Mikey get some character focus, it stops after one episode, peters out or doesn't amount to anything.

My frustrations with Raph and Mikey's handling compared to the other turtles is like my frustration with all the turtles compared to Leo in the 2k3 cartoon. This show is doing much better in terms of good, quality focus and balance, but it could do better. Which is why I'm glad Raph is getting this Dark Raph arc soon, and that I'm hoping Mikey gets something substantial as well.
Meliwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 02:22 PM   #10
Warhorse
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meliwen View Post

My frustrations with Raph and Mikey's handling compared to the other turtles is like my frustration with all the turtles compared to Leo in the 2k3 cartoon. This show is doing much better in terms of good, quality focus and balance, but it could do better. Which is why I'm glad Raph is getting this Dark Raph arc soon, and that I'm hoping Mikey gets something substantial as well.
I hope the Dark Raph showcases just how important he is to the team, and that they are glad that he is on their side and not the other way around. But part of me feels it's going to be another episode that just showboats how great Leo is compared to everyone else. Heck, back on the farm they had April beating Raph in training.
Old 04-19-2015, 02:44 PM   #11
GoldMutant
Control Your Narrative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhorse View Post

Sadly, you are wrong. Eastman said his favorite was Mikey. And I've said it before, but I will say it again, except for the 1990 and 2007 movie (which he more or less shared focus with Leo), he was not the cenrtal focus of any of the other cartoons. Fred Wolf, Mikey was the big focus, with Donnie runner up. 2k3 toon, it was easily Leonardo as the most focused, with Mikey a close second. Donnie was easily the third, and I think Raph had maybe 5 arcs in all, and either way, he was always upstaged by Leo. The comics were heavy with Leo and Donnie, at least the Mirage. Don't know much about the other versions.

I would also like it if Ciro and co would just finally drop his anger/temper for good and concentrate on the positives of Raph, which would be his protective instinct, his street smarts and able to read people, how he is the muscle of the group and show that he is also talented with engines and other mechanical things. Maybe they could make up things where the Turtles take on jobs to help out. Kind of like they did in the 2007 movie. Mikey could have the parties, Donnie with his tech support, Raph and Casey maybe could fix up cars and start their own mechanic business, Leo and April start their own ninjitsu training center.......
Must have read something wrong with a quick glance, so mistake on my part. As for the 1987 cartoon, I meant more for character being liked with Mikey being the clear popular figure and focus while Donnie saves the day for plot. I can assume if people didn't like Mikey or to an extent Donatello, Raph was usually the most popular figure. As for 2003, Leo is the main focus no doubt as well as in the comics (I haven't read the comics too much, so I can't defend that). Guess I was just on a roll on writing and should have thought better with that statement, apologies on my part for that.

As for other qualities, I agree massively, but I'd keep Raph's anger and emotions, but limit them more. Focus more on other qualities like you mentioned Warhorse, such as his wit or assistance. Raph has potential as a character that isn't entirely explored with abilities nor characteristics; the producers should do that.
Old 04-19-2015, 04:26 PM   #12
Jephael
That whack job behind you

I think Raphael gets his fair share in the spotlight. I just wish they'd give him a better catchphrase than "Eat it!!!" It's just another lame attempt at trying to sanitize a popular expression that's ordinarily too vulgar for young ears.

www.jephael.com
Jephael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 04:34 PM   #13
Eiko
Aussie and Proud

I'm kind of glad Raph is not hogging the spotlight this time round. He has had enough attention over the years. if any turtle that needs focus it should be Mikey.
Old 04-19-2015, 04:42 PM   #14
Warhorse
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eiko View Post
I'm kind of glad Raph is not hogging the spotlight this time round. He has had enough attention over the years. if any turtle that needs focus it should be Mikey.
Mikey was the focus for the 80's toon and right behind Leo in 2k3. Raph was only the spotlight in the 90, 2007 and 2014 film. SOTO was Donnie and the third movie was Mikey. So please, tell me about all of this "spotlight for Raph" again, I'm all ears!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldMutant View Post
Must have read something wrong with a quick glance, so mistake on my part. As for the 1987 cartoon, I meant more for character being liked with Mikey being the clear popular figure and focus while Donnie saves the day for plot. I can assume if people didn't like Mikey or to an extent Donatello, Raph was usually the most popular figure. As for 2003, Leo is the main focus no doubt as well as in the comics (I haven't read the comics too much, so I can't defend that). Guess I was just on a roll on writing and should have thought better with that statement, apologies on my part for that.
I always read that either Mikey or Raph were the most popular with the fandom, but what is popular and what is actually being depicted in the toons, movies and comics are totally different thing. Like you said, Mikey was the most focused in the old toon, but Donnie was often the one that saved the day the most. I will admit, I think Raph was the third most focused while Leo would have been the least. The movies, the 1990 movie might have given the biggest arc to Raph, but he was actually knocked out for a good while, and in the end, Leonardo, Splinter and Casey are the ones that dealt the final blows to the Shredder. SOTO, was mostly Donnie with the whole scientist thing, the third was mostly on Mikey, the 2007 I believe was a combination of Raph and Leo (the sequel to it looked like it was going to be Mikey based, but that never saw the light of day) and I seriously don't take anything from the 2014 movie in any consideration. It means nothing to me. And anyways, Raphael still hardly shined in any of these movies, it was still mostly Leonardo taking on the big bads. The 2k3 show was a whole different ballgame. Lots of Leo, then Mikey, Donnie and then Raph. And again, he really never does anything important, he's like a footsoldier to Leo and Donnie most of the time. Shiat, at least Mikey has the Battle Nexus Championship, what does Raph have to his credit? Whooping Karai's ass when Leo accidentally fell on her sword, only then to get picked up by Shredder and have his chord broken?

Quote:
As for other qualities, I agree massively, but I'd keep Raph's anger and emotions, but limit them more. Focus more on other qualities like you mentioned Warhorse, such as his wit or assistance. Raph has potential as a character that isn't entirely explored with abilities nor characteristics; the producers should do that.
Yeah, this has always been frustrating for me. Just a simple snippet of him working on a motorbike he found in the junkyard would be enough for me.

Last edited by Warhorse; 04-19-2015 at 04:56 PM.
Old 04-19-2015, 04:48 PM   #15
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

Yeah, I'm OK with him taking a backseat.
Old 04-19-2015, 04:54 PM   #16
Tarris Vaal
Stone Warrior

I think he's fallen into the 'straight man' of the group archetype. He's the sensible one there to slap sense into everyone else rather than Leo as would normally have been the case. As a result he's the go to character to stop everyone else going off the rails, but by consequence he rarely seems to go off and do his own thing - thereby seeming to lose out.

Overall I dont think he's suffered any worse than anyone else in terms of development (certainly not compared to Mikey who is almost a one trick pony), but he hasnt been the centre of focus much the past season or so. At least he has consistently been part of everyone else's focused episodes.
But for me I guess the reason he seems to have lost out most is primarily down to Leo's relationship with Karai and Casey Jones' arrival.

In Leo/Karai's case, their relationship has to have had significant screen time because of Karai's revelation about her father towards end of Season 2. It just makes sense to make this a focus when the story is pushing that revelation.
At least in this case Raph has been the one to object first and loudest about her - so he hasnt lost out completely, but it has eaten into screen time.

In Casey's case, the show has had to find time to introduce him as a new character, and has chosen to focus on Casey's pursuit of April (and subsequent rivalry with Don). In this case, again Raph did at least get to try and talk sense into all sides involved, but that choice to focus on Casey and April meant that he has spent more time with Don than with Raph. That in particular has hurt Raph's potential for character focus in the show.

I also agree that Slash reconciling so quickly with Raph was a major missed opportunity to give Raph some more screen time (and Slash for that matter). That relationship/rivalry could happily have made up for Casey not being as 'Raph focused' a character as he normally is.

I dunno, overall I dont think Raph is missing out, but he isn't in the same role as he normally is in other iterations. Normally it'd be him doing something and the others trying to help out/stop him. This time its the other way round. I think thats why it seems he isnt getting so much attention.
Tarris Vaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 05:15 PM   #17
pennydreadful
trash

I feel that Raph is getting short-changed. However, I will say that giving Donnie the spotlight in the show has given me a real appreciation for the character which I didn't have as much before. So while it's frustrating on the one hand, I'm still getting to see different facets of Donnie in this incarnation which have actually made him my fave version of Donnie ever.

In conclusion: not perfect, but there's a silver lining in there somewhere.

Fingers crossed - maybe the Dark Raph arc will blow us out of the water. If it's only for one episode, I'm gonna be pissed though.

Creator of the Technodrome After Dark Discussion Group. PM for an invite (must be over 18 - no exceptions).
pennydreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 05:22 PM   #18
Sabacooza
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhorse View Post
Part of me feels it's going to be another episode that just showboats how great Leo is compared to everyone else. Heck, back on the farm they had April beating Raph in training.
Yep, I can bet this is how it will go down. Raph will be nothing more than a means for Leo to develop as a character even further. Raph will be an unimportant character in his own story arc. Donnie will also save the day yet again for coming up with a way to undo the mind control. lather, rinse, repeat.

One thing I fear, and I brought this up several times is that he'll become a villain and then be absent for a couple episodes like they completely forgot about him or something in order to show a lousy filler episode adding insult to injury. That might not be the case but I have a gut feeling this will happen if they drag it out until the end of the season.

I don't know. I'm losing interest in this show really fast. It's sad because I really want to love it. I mean, I just don't know why these writers and Ciro can't spread the character development and screen time evenly between all four instead of catering to their favorites. It's totally unprofessional. If you want to have character specific episodes, that's fine but then do it for all of them. I'm not asking for Raph to steal the spotlight for every episode but good God this is getting ridiculous.

I also noticed like others have said that Raph is the butt of all of Mikey's jokes. His relationship with Slash has fallen off the face of the earth and they took Casey away as Raph's buddy. He's a damsel in distress. He's not strong. He's just sort of there. What does this character really have going for him? I just don't get why he's even part of the show at this point.

Maybe my points are way more brutal than they need to be but dammit, this really bugs me. When I'm passionate about something, I go off like a bomb.

Last edited by Sabacooza; 04-19-2015 at 05:39 PM.
Sabacooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 05:40 PM   #19
Shark_Blade
Emperor

I'm a Raph fan and I think he does have a lot of focus. They're handling him just fine.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 10:09 PM   #20
aliena
Hench Mutant

I don't think Raph is getting enough screen time. I really love this Raph and want to see more of his story. It seems to me that Leo and Don get every other episode and then Mikey gets the in between filler episodes. I really hated the hampton arc where Raph was a plant for almost a whole episode. It could just be me, but that's how I'm feeling it.
aliena is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nickelodeon, raph, raphael