Mad Scientist

TMNT #85 Preview and Discussion

First look:

Spoiler:
AlZarkovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 07:37 AM   #2
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

The novelty hit by Thomas Dobly is a nice touch and is a reference to April perhaps?

Turtle Van IDW style? Hmmm...
Old 08-17-2018, 10:23 AM   #3
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

I just realized that this is probably the first time ever in TMNT history that Baxter has actually succeeded in eliminating New York's rat problem!
Granted, that's probably going to come to an uncomfortable parallel with Leatherhead later in the issue...but it still stands to show...good job??

We seem to have some idea of when the Donatello Macro issue takes place...and what comes out of it for the most part. Harold's "old" lab is...something.

Speaking of Leatherhead earlier on, I would say that he's going after the MOUSERS probably thinking they're still part of Krang's security, as seen with the giant one back when he was introduced. Not even realizing that it's all mostly Baxter acting on his own, with April probably pulling the strings.

You could say she's...blinding him with science.
Old 08-17-2018, 12:59 PM   #4
CyberCubed
Overlord

Can't believe we're only 15 issues away from #100. We're so close now, it's ridiculous.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 01:05 PM   #5
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Can't believe we're only 15 issues away from #100. We're so close now, it's ridiculous.
Next November, I think... if I counted off on my fingers correctly.
Old 08-19-2018, 08:24 AM   #6
shredder orokusaki
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
I just realized that this is probably the first time ever in TMNT history that Baxter has actually succeeded in eliminating New York's rat problem!
Granted, that's probably going to come to an uncomfortable parallel with Leatherhead later in the issue...but it still stands to show...good job??

We seem to have some idea of when the Donatello Macro issue takes place...and what comes out of it for the most part. Harold's "old" lab is...something.

Speaking of Leatherhead earlier on, I would say that he's going after the MOUSERS probably thinking they're still part of Krang's security, as seen with the giant one back when he was introduced. Not even realizing that it's all mostly Baxter acting on his own, with April probably pulling the strings.

You could say she's...blinding him with science.
It is the first time he eliminated rat problem because he dont work for me. The other Baxters was working for and the i used the mousers to attack my enemies and cause chaos. If he was als working for me then he would had used them as a weapon against the turtles like the other Baxters did.
Old 08-19-2018, 09:11 AM   #7
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Next November, I think... if I counted off on my fingers correctly.
Yes, it is mathematically. Yet I remember it been said by IDW October 2019, a month earlier. So maybe shipping is a little behind?

How will Leatherhead lead into Agent Bishop's long built up attack?
Old 08-19-2018, 11:05 AM   #8
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

I think it's not a "complete" lead-in, but:
  1. It's a break for the turtles, at least a little one.
  2. It truly cement Leatherhead's role in the rest of the series before any more "big things" happen...storywise. Leatherhead is a big thing himself in more ways than his size.
  3. On a big stretch of guessing games, having an excuse to send Donatello back to Burnow Island, before the EPF arrive. Probably to inform the Utroms of Leatherhead's location.

Boy, December's issue is going to be interesting. Merry Fvckin' Christmas to us .
Old 08-19-2018, 01:06 PM   #9
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
Boy, December's issue is going to be interesting. Merry Fvckin' Christmas to us .
"Christmas with the EPF".
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 01:10 PM   #10
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Well, I mostly meant issue 101 in December 2019; I think the Battle Lines arch will be over by this December.
Old 08-21-2018, 04:15 AM   #11
bushido
Stone Warrior

Full preview here.
Old 08-21-2018, 09:57 AM   #12
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Mike's excitement to see the dinosaurs is so relateable . I want to see the dinosaurs too, buddy.

But of course NOW we go in the museum and not during the Triceraton invasion when it would have been more appropriate.

What a callback

And speaking of stuff happening in the Donatello macro besides the van...did they make jobs for themselves??? Like, actual jobs? Has Hamato Waterworks been a thing before this or was Mike being a goof?

I like that they have a flip phone . Of course Don would have that song for a ringtone.

Last edited by Utrommaniac; 08-21-2018 at 10:10 AM.
Utrommaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 12:40 AM   #13
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Annd now that the issue's released:

Spoiler:
Start the countdown to Jennika's inevitable death by childbirth.

I wasn't expecting so much of the Leatherhead encounter to be so much standing around talking until he started hallucinating Krang.
That's quite the schema you've got there...

Apparently Leatherhead can regrow lost body parts? Though, diving into a sewer with open wounds isn't really the best idea.

Glad to see Raph calling him out on his regular "mutants are a curse" monologue. It makes perfect sense that he'd be the one doing it, and he absolutely should.

I have a feeling that it was Ma'riell specifically that asked that Leatherhead be taken off the hook, but if that's the case...what are you doing, woman???
Old 08-22-2018, 01:13 PM   #14
neatoman
Emperor

Leatherhead regrowing body parts isn't exactly a new concept. Back in the Mirage days he lost an eye and regrew it.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 01:21 PM   #15
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Oh yeah! I forgot about that for a moment.

It took a while though, didn't it?

Spoiler:
But boy, when Tom Waltz remarked on things not truly being over with Krang, that is not what I was expecting, but I love it.

That's some Sixth Sense sh*t right there.

AND...the whole second half of the issue...reminds me of this scene.

Sure it could be argued that Krang was reminiscing...but we aren't seeing his perspective like we did with Leatherhead.
What if he'd been seeing Quanin this whole time and by that point, had adapted to the spiritual presence. (And now has to actually deal with him on the spiritual plane, maybe. Or ironically is only now rid of being haunted, moving on to be the haunt-ee.)

This isn't just a hallucination on Leatherhead's part; it's got the colored-in ghost text and everything that we've seen with Shen and the Pantheon.

Last edited by Utrommaniac; 08-22-2018 at 02:35 PM.
Utrommaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 05:58 PM   #16
ChosenOne
Banned

Ah, Leatherhead and his amazing feats of contortionism... First he manages to somehow curl his tail tightly enough to immobilize Hakk-R back in Trial of Krang, then he squeezes his entire hulking form through a tiny manhole to escape...

Poor guy, though... Sucks to be him right now. Fingerless and mindless. It's almost a shame that Battle Lines sidelines him and leaves a meeting/confrontation with Bishop on the backburner, possibly even until after #100, as far as we know. I really want to see those two interact. I expected more of a fight with the Turtles in this issue, or perhaps a more savage Leatherhead given the tone of the solicitation, but can't say I was disappointed by what we got. Not at all. Still my favorite character after all these years!

I noticed that Bobby calls Bebop & Rocksteady "mutants of mayhem" in Ninja Notes. Wouldn't that make for a kickass title to their inevitable third weekly mini? Bebop & Rocksteady: Mutants of Mayhem!
Old 08-22-2018, 06:42 PM   #17
CyberCubed
Overlord

Ah, so this is the "Leatherhead loses his mind" story we get in almost every Leatherhead incarnation, only this time he is haunted by the ghost of Krang. (and yes, I know it's just in his mind and not an actual ghost of Krang)

I guess they'll transition to Leatherhead becoming an ally of the Turtles as usual, I guess him killing those 2-3 random Utroms is forgiven? lol. Either way for a single filler-ish story, it was ok.

Surprised the Turtles/Casey, etc. are all ok with the Foot training a bunch of orphans into ninja assassins, but I guess they're all cool with it?
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 06:46 PM   #18
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Ghosts and spirits are an actual thing in this universe, so...maybe he truly being haunted?

I guess this is just what we have to look forward to every time we see Leatherhead now
Old 08-22-2018, 06:57 PM   #19
ChosenOne
Banned

This comes to mind as well:

Maybe Kang isn't really dead but actually faked his demise, fled to Europe, and is now secretly trying to poison Leatherhead's mind to turn him against his friends? Wait, wrong comic. (Or is it...?)
Old 08-22-2018, 07:06 PM   #20
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

This was good. I really hate the art, though. Everything's fine except for the Turtle oval heads. It's just... too simple, too at odds with the rest of the art.

Always a pleasure to see more Leatherhead. And I definitely didn't expect him to be going through all this trauma, yet it makes sense!

Seems like the walking talking raging gator has a bad case of indigestion!!!