The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 09-20-2021, 11:00 AM   #41
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
And it wouldn't even bother me at all if they said "I voted for Biden." Mostly I'd fear how they would... present that. Like, it might not be, "Oh, I voted for Biden," but it might be something more like, "What a silly question! I can only vote for the right side of history, not the side orange nazis! Biden, naturally! You did too, right?" because then I would think less of them.
This exactly.

It's the arrogance that comes with celebrity opinions that's disgusting.

On that note - I think Howard Hughes was fascinating. He's got a great biography called "Hughes" by Richard Hack and the movie The Aviator was a lot of fun. In that movie, DiCaprio says to Blanchett who is playing Kathryn Hepburn "Don't you ever talk down to me. You are a movie star. Nothing more".

It's ironic - where and how it's presented but boom there it is. That pretty encapsulates much of my feelings about celebrities and their presentation about political opinions most of the time.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 11:21 AM   #42
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
And it wouldn't even bother me at all if they said "I voted for Biden." Mostly I'd fear how they would... present that. Like, it might not be, "Oh, I voted for Biden," but it might be something more like, "What a silly question! I can only vote for the right side of history, not the side orange nazis! Biden, naturally! You did too, right?" because then I would think less of them.
That's true.

However to be honest, whenever I met anyone, be it Rob Paulsen or Judith Hoag, the last possible thing that comes to mind is 'are you right or left'?

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 01:22 PM   #43
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
That's true.

However to be honest, whenever I met anyone, be it Rob Paulsen or Judith Hoag, the last possible thing that comes to mind is 'are you right or left'?
part of the problem.

if they know how hollywood works, they know their media accounts are being watched. and if they want to be part of the 'in' crowd, they can only respond a certain way. Even if they arn't generally political, they may feel the need to bring it up just to appear 'right side of history'.

in the real world, this kind of stuff doesn't matter. but in modern social media nonsense, it's ALL that matters to alot of people.

and what I've been trying to instil into rob, and basically just remind him of what I know he already knows, is that it's HOW you respond to someone that matters as much as what you say.

You Do NOT want to go the John Dimagio or mark hamil route. that way leads to ruin one way or another.

thankfully, I don't think ANY of the tmnt guys and gals are anywhere NEAR that. but when you see his twitter feed, and some of the 'yes men' on there politically, I do worry about him being 'corrupted' by the hollywood super duper elite politico's.

'Wrong, April. We've Been upgraded to Women hating TROLLS'

?The force is not female, the force is not male, the force is for everyone?
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 01:43 PM   #44
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
part of the problem.

if they know how hollywood works, they know their media accounts are being watched. and if they want to be part of the 'in' crowd, they can only respond a certain way. Even if they arn't generally political, they may feel the need to bring it up just to appear 'right side of history'.

in the real world, this kind of stuff doesn't matter. but in modern social media nonsense, it's ALL that matters to alot of people.

and what I've been trying to instil into rob, and basically just remind him of what I know he already knows, is that it's HOW you respond to someone that matters as much as what you say.

You Do NOT want to go the John Dimagio or mark hamil route. that way leads to ruin one way or another.

thankfully, I don't think ANY of the tmnt guys and gals are anywhere NEAR that. but when you see his twitter feed, and some of the 'yes men' on there politically, I do worry about him being 'corrupted' by the hollywood super duper elite politico's.
I mean, not sure about online but at least face to face, I got Rob to do his Raphael voice. Was that Right or Left?

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Old 09-20-2021, 02:04 PM   #45
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
I mean, not sure about online but at least face to face, I got Rob to do his Raphael voice. Was that Right or Left?
That depends. Try to get Rob to do his Raphael voice and say, "Make America Great Again!" and see what he says.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 02:05 PM   #46
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
That depends. Try to get Rob to do his Raphael voice and say, "Make America Great Again!" and see what he says.
I think he's at the point where he'll do it...now. Give a few years of twitter manipulation and who knows heh.

Old 09-20-2021, 02:29 PM   #47
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
that's just the thing. online a person can be totally different than they are in real life.

I had an online spat with ciro over characters. Not even over politics, just show stuff.. If I walked up to him at a con and introduced myself, i'm willing to bet he'd be pleasant. at least for a few short minutes. Go back online and a person can be a jerk if they are one in real life.

If you walked up to a celebrity, and said 'I voted for trump', knowing they are a real trump hater, I bet they'd put on their biggest fake smile, shake your hand, and glare at your back as you walked away. then probably write about it on some message board ;o).

Old 09-20-2021, 03:30 PM   #48
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
that's just the thing. online a person can be totally different than they are in real life.

I had an online spat with ciro over characters. Not even over politics, just show stuff.. If I walked up to him at a con and introduced myself, i'm willing to bet he'd be pleasant. at least for a few short minutes. Go back online and a person can be a jerk if they are one in real life.

If you walked up to a celebrity, and said 'I voted for trump', knowing they are a real trump hater, I bet they'd put on their biggest fake smile, shake your hand, and glare at your back as you walked away. then probably write about it on some message board ;o).
Oh I see what you mean.

I guess I've been lucky with the few celebs I've met. Personally I only asked Laird Turtle questions online when he had his blog. I haven't really argued with Ciro or Sophie on here, and I haven't seen any of the celebs I met go on a 'jab em all or kill em all' tirade online either.

I just don't care, and unless stuff like 'Paige Turco said she loves Trump' becomes big headline news, I wouldn't know.

Old 09-20-2021, 03:53 PM   #49
Vegita-San
Emperor

and that's the way it should be. problem is, most of these celebrities live in a power bubble, where only one way of life is ok. and if you step out of line, out the hollywood door you go.

and most tend to be really active when they want to distract from something they want hidden or forgotten. at least that tends to be the case most of the time.

and thus, part of the reason i'm sure for this thread .

Old 09-22-2021, 12:19 AM   #50
Prowler
Emperor

I know Hollywood and the entertainment industry in general mostly swing left, but are right wingers actually marginalised in the show business? I mean, there's well known actors like James Woods and Clint Eastwood who are Republicans and I don't think they're exactly struggling to find movie roles. Hell, Schwarzenegger is or was a member of the Republican party when he held the most important political position in California. No one is cancelling Arnold.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 12:48 AM   #51
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
I know Hollywood and the entertainment industry in general mostly swing left, but are right wingers actually marginalised in the show business? I mean, there's well known actors like James Woods and Clint Eastwood who are Republicans and I don't think they're exactly struggling to find movie roles. Hell, Schwarzenegger is or was a member of the Republican party when he held the most important political position in California. No one is cancelling Arnold.
Clout and money make all the dif-f-ference in the world (of hypocrites).
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 12:57 AM   #52
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Arnold wasn't a real republican and everybody knew it. Also, any actual republican leanings he expressed faded like tears in rain when he realized some people were not liking him anymore as a result. His kryptonite. He was a centrist at best, though largely not even that.

Still. What an awesome campaign he had when he got elected. Even if he wasn't a great governor, what a "fun" governor he was. Though the stuff he's been posting lately makes me think he wouldn't have done much differently than Newsom today during COVID.
Old 09-22-2021, 12:59 AM   #53
Sage Ninja
Band of the Hawk

Quote:
What do you think about celebrities voicing their political opinions?
just don't

Cassandra: You won't fight me, but will you fight...for HIM?

~Cassandra's Revenge

~Tangled the Series
Sage Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 07:30 AM   #54
Hamato Yoshi
Stone Warrior

Shaq was in media recently saying that celebs are just normal people that got lucky , he doesnt want to be a celeb longer
Hamato Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 09:34 AM   #55
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamato Yoshi View Post
Shaq was in media recently saying that celebs are just normal people that got lucky , he doesnt want to be a celeb longer
See that's exactly, exactly true.
These people are put up on a pedestal of assumption and perception - we literally grant them "star power". And it's compounded by the lavish lives they lead and ridiculous amounts of money they bring in simply for making movies.

It's both a valid reward system (because the free markets turn out in droves to pay for their product) and ridiculous (because we lose sight of the fact that we could bankrupt these people in one or two efforts yet people buy tickets to movies they don't like) at the same time.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 09:19 AM   #56
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Gus from Breaking Bad wants anyone unvaccinated to go to an island.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...203142804.html
Old 10-07-2021, 01:21 PM   #57
Sumac
Banned

At least he didn't propose to people to be shot in the back, so far.

Do they understand the meaning of the word "voluntarily"?
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 08:07 PM   #58
mrmaczaps
Banned

Judith posted on her IG story she is responsible for her health and what goes into her body... no one seemed to bat an eye or give her any sh!t... I simply said "thank you".

Over all I put zero stock in what any celebs say... they're people. They're not better people because they lie for a living. And they're certainly not my boss/parents either. Same goes for the pedo elite running DC.

I will not comply.
mrmaczaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 09:13 PM   #59
Leo656
The Franchise

I mean, just in general, nobody should pay attention to much of what a person who has no idea what a gallon of milk costs has to say about anything.

Rich people in general and celebrities in particular have so little in common with "regular people" that they may as well be living on different planets. A person can only speak from their own life experience, and other than the fact that every one of us fell out of someone's clownhole once upon a time and that's why we exist, there's very little shared life experience between someone like me and someone like, say, George Clooney.

On some level, I understand some of these people's opinions, because in a lot of cases I do sincerely think that they THINK they're correct. But they're also making their statements from a position that 99.9% of us will never see or experience, so not very much of it is applicable in a real-world situation. Like, they've never owned or operated a small business, for example, so when they say stuff like "Pay everyone $20 an hour minimum wage and give everyone free health insurance, c'mon it's easy, be a Good Person", they have no idea what the f*ck they're actually talking about, and really just shouldn't say anything at all. It might be coming from a sincere place but they have no idea what those things mean to someone who actually has to Do The Deal.

"Good-Natured Ignorance", basically. It might come from a good place, but it's still ignorance. Where it becomes vulgar is once they essentially start using "Well, I'm rich and you're not, ergo I know better" as a way to scold those who don't go along with their opinions. Which has been happening more and more often in recent years.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote