The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 09-13-2016, 02:12 PM   #81
ToTheNines
[sic]

After the years of abuse at the hands of Fred Wolf, head band color errors trigger me.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 02:23 PM   #82
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
After the years of abuse at the hands of Fred Wolf, head band color errors trigger me.
A NOTICEABLE color error would bug me. Something like that? Where I need a magnifying glass?

I'll let it slide.
Old 09-13-2016, 03:29 PM   #83
Powder
So tired of this place

Quote:
Been a long time. Once or twice in Infestation, and once in either #6 or #7.
There were some goofs in Animated Adventures, too.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 03:33 PM   #84
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
There were some goofs in Animated Adventures, too.
This is true. They've been good about that for a long time... but that accounts for EVERY rainbow version, save for the theatrical stuff and Nickelodeon, suffering from this.

Nuff said.
Old 09-13-2016, 11:13 PM   #85
WebLurker
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
You're right. It's only the source material.
I think the '80s cartoon has pretty much replaced Mirage as the source material. Multicolored masks? Love of pizza? Shredder being the Darth Vader of the franchise and clashing with the Turtles on a regular basis? Leonardo being the official leader? Those are pretty much unbreakable laws of the franchise today.
WebLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 12:29 AM   #86
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Quote:
Yeah, all the modern stuff gives them different designs/heights/skin.

Tell me you don't know who's who in this?
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4040/...1ecec8dc_o.png

Those examples are crap, too TurtleGuy. The one from the Leo ish: Leo is obvious and Raph is the one with no mask (which is obvious if you actually read the book). The other two aren't talking so it dosen't matter. On top of that, it's in black and white anyways! So pretend they're in rainbow gear if you want.

The only example I've ever found where you really can't tell who is who is Tales v.1 #1, but only at the beginning.
It's beautiful! I would love to make this my new profile pic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
I think the '80s cartoon has pretty much replaced Mirage as the source material. Multicolored masks? Love of pizza? Shredder being the Darth Vader of the franchise and clashing with the Turtles on a regular basis? Leonardo being the official leader? Those are pretty much unbreakable laws of the franchise today.
That is incorporating well-known elements into further incarnations. Even then, the later incarnations such as the films, 2k3, Nick, and to an extent NT: TNM have mostly based their material off of Mirage than the Fred Wolf toon. Also whether it was official or not, Leo has always taken the responsibility of leadership in any way he could.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 12:39 AM   #87
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Are people so pissed at FW that the coloured bandanas make their blood boil? What has this world come to?
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 12:54 AM   #88
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
I think the '80s cartoon has pretty much replaced Mirage as the source material.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 01:10 AM   #89
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Even Silver-Aged Batman disagrees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
Are people so pissed at FW that the coloured bandanas make their blood boil? What has this world come to?
Dude, it's not a big deal. It's just it'd be nice to see at least one other version outside the Mirage (and briefly IDW) where the turtles wear red bandanas.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 02:45 AM   #90
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Not exactly. Shredder in the FW cartoon wasn't really Darth Vader as much as he was Elmer Fudd.

Might sound like a strange way to start off my argument but most of the things you mentioned are rather superficial, multicolored masks and pizza aren't that important in the grand scheme of things. I've said this before but I feel it's worth repeating, tonally speaking (and storywise) the Fred Wolf cartoon is pretty much ignored, where in the FW cartoon did anything like this happen?
Spoiler:

And how many times did things like this happen?
Spoiler:
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 03:35 AM   #91
TurtleGuy
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Not exactly. Shredder in the FW cartoon wasn't really Darth Vader as much as he was Elmer Fudd.
I'd say Shredder was more Dick Dastardly than Elmer Fudd.

But I'm pretty sure I'll proven wrong yet again.
TurtleGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 03:52 AM   #92
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleGuy View Post
I'd say Shredder was more Dick Dastardly than Elmer Fudd.

But I'm pretty sure I'll proven wrong yet again.
Yosemite Sam maybe?
Hahahaha!
Old 09-14-2016, 03:57 AM   #93
TurtleGuy
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Yosemite Sam maybe?
With a hint of Wile E. Coyote?
TurtleGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 04:32 AM   #94
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleGuy View Post
With a hint of Wile E. Coyote?
Come to think of it, he probably has the most in common with Doronjo. Which, ironically, pretty much has to be a coincidence.
Hahahaha!
Old 09-14-2016, 10:16 AM   #95
WebLurker
Hench Mutant

Quote:
To put it another way, Mirage Shredder was killed off in issue one (and was only resurrected twice). The idea of him living and having a constant feud with the Turtles was invented by the '80s cartoon and has carried over to pretty much every other adaptation.

Quote:
Might sound like a strange way to start off my argument but most of the things you mentioned are rather superficial, multicolored masks and pizza aren't that important in the grand scheme of things. I've said this before but I feel it's worth repeating, tonally speaking (and storywise) the Fred Wolf cartoon is pretty much ignored, where in the FW cartoon did anything like this happen?

And how many times did things like this happen?
Well, the masks have been pretty much used ever since, so if they're not that important, why is that? The pizza, I suppose.

While the rest of TMNT may never gone as goofy as the '80s show, from my experience, most subsequent installments are far more lighthearted than Mirage is, which is probably thanks to the '80s cartoon.
Old 09-14-2016, 10:21 AM   #96
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
To put it another way, Mirage Shredder was killed off in issue one (and was only resurrected twice). The idea of him living and having a constant feud with the Turtles was invented by the '80s cartoon and has carried over to pretty much every other adaptation.
Shredder having a constant feud with the Turtles was most definitely NOT invented by the 80's cartoon.

His feud with the Turtles continued from his death on through all Foot Clan dealings (culminating in "City at War") and then through his daughter Pimiko throughout all of Volume 3. And it began even before Shredder, with Oroku Nagi and Hamato Yoshi.

So no. The 80's cartoon did NOT come up with the everlasting feud, nor did they really do it justice. By my count, only IDW and Nick have done justice to the Yoshi/Saki feud since.
Old 09-14-2016, 10:48 AM   #97
ToTheNines
[sic]

Another story idea I've toyed around with, for an unborn universe, is having them all just have natural red markings around their eyes in some way that looks cool, yet not too outlandish. Since they're Red Eared Sliders, it could work.

Then to make Playmates happy, just sprinkle some rainbow in the designs tastefully. Give Leo blue hilts, Mikey orange wraps and pads, Don a purple man purse. But nothing for Raph, he's a practical turtle.
Old 09-14-2016, 11:09 AM   #98
WebLurker
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Shredder having a constant feud with the Turtles was most definitely NOT invented by the 80's cartoon.

His feud with the Turtles continued from his death on through all Foot Clan dealings (culminating in "City at War") and then through his daughter Pimiko throughout all of Volume 3. And it began even before Shredder, with Oroku Nagi and Hamato Yoshi.
Okay, I didn't realize that.

Quote:
So no. The 80's cartoon did NOT come up with the everlasting feud, nor did they really do it justice. By my count, only IDW and Nick have done justice to the Yoshi/Saki feud since.
Fair enough (although I think '80s Shredder was good for the type of character he was and show he was on).
Old 09-14-2016, 11:33 AM   #99
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
To put it another way, Mirage Shredder was killed off in issue one (and was only resurrected twice).
Eh, once. I'd hardly call the "Shredder Shark" a conscious or resurrected Oroku Saki.

Quote:
The idea of him living and having a constant feud with the Turtles was invented by the '80s cartoon
True, although I can kind of understand the why. Not that they would care or that it would necessarily even make a difference to them (every cartoon of its ilk needed a singular Big Bad, i.e., a Skeletor), but how would Fred Wolf know that Shredder wasn't going to be a constant foil for the Turtles in the comics at that time? How would they know that resurrection #1 wasn't going to be 1 of dozens, and he wouldn't just be this perpetual sort of Joker to the Turtles' Batman?

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 09-14-2016 at 11:38 AM.
Old 09-14-2016, 11:37 AM   #100
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:

Eh, "the longstanding blood feud with the Orokus and the Foot Clan and the Turtles" is not really the same thing as "Shredder (himself) constantly feuding with the Turtles."

Tags
sharkbladeweirdness, whatcolorareyournostrils?