The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 07-21-2021, 04:26 PM   #21
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Also she’s not completely black, or is she?
She's Latin
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 04:35 PM   #22
CyberCubed
Overlord

Besides the lighter skin her facial features look mixed.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 07:50 PM   #23
Leo656
The Franchise

Totally called that sh*t. "Let's troll everybody by showing off all the white actresses we're auditioning to play this white redhead ginger character... then turn around and cast a non-white actress because she's simply objectively the best actor for the role, no agendas here, honest!'" Just like when they cast a black chick to play Death in the live-action Sandman show, despite the fact that Death is whiter than a sheet of f*cking toilet paper.

You can set your f*cking watch to these people nowadays. It's comical.

I'm done with new movies and TV shows until the Powers-That-Be decide to stop blatantly trolling the audience for teh lulz.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 07:59 PM   #24
CyberCubed
Overlord

It's kind of ironic in 10+ years time we'll look back on this era of movies/tv shows and wonder why so many established characters were played by black actors and all the other race changing.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 08:21 PM   #25
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Totally called that sh*t. "Let's troll everybody by showing off all the white actresses we're auditioning to play this white redhead ginger character... then turn around and cast a non-white actress because she's simply objectively the best actor for the role, no agendas here, honest!'" Just like when they cast a black chick to play Death in the live-action Sandman show, despite the fact that Death is whiter than a sheet of f*cking toilet paper.

You can set your f*cking watch to these people nowadays. It's comical.

I'm done with new movies and TV shows until the Powers-That-Be decide to stop blatantly trolling the audience for teh lulz.
I think they purposely did that to quiet down any claims that they didn't even bother to cast any white women and went straight to a Dominican Batgirl. Like they can say "That's not true, see? These white women also tried out for the role, it just do happened this Dominican actress was better than them! No agenda here! Honest!"

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/

Last edited by Coola Yagami; 07-21-2021 at 09:00 PM.
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 08:31 PM   #26
AquaParade
Banned

I'll wait to see how she performs before getting upset. If she is a good actress, I'm good with it.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 08:41 PM   #27
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
I think they purposely did that to quiet down any claims that they didn't even bother to cast any white women and went straight to a Dominican Batgirl. Like they can say "That's not true, see? These white women also tried out for the file, it just do happened this Dominican actress was better than them! No agenda here! Honest!"
That's literally exactly what I said. Which one of us is high right now?

I mean, I KNOW I am but I kinda think you are too

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
I'll wait to see how she performs before getting upset. If she is a good actress, I'm good with it.
She might be a good actress. Race-flipping is still pandering trash though regardless and nobody should do it.

Looking forward to seeing Henry Cavill play Black Panther in 2030. Since it totally doesn't matter.

Old 07-21-2021, 09:01 PM   #28
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Doesn't ****ing matter. She's not Barbara Gordon.

Like, I'm half Dominican and I'd rather they just create cool Dominican characters than race-swap my redhead white girl Babs.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Old 07-21-2021, 09:10 PM   #29
sdp
Megan Fox = April

well if the new commissioner gordon is black it makes sense his daughter is black as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
Doesn't ****ing matter. She's not Barbara Gordon.

I hate race swapped characters but actors can definitely make up for it. I do prefer the actor to look somewhat like the character they're trying to portray but looking back even before the PC area it rarely happened even if the "race" was correct".

sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 09:13 PM   #30
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
well if the new commissioner gordon is black it makes sense his daughter is black as well.

I hate race swapped characters but actors can definitely make up for it. I do prefer the actor to look somewhat like the character they're trying to portray but looking back even before the PC area it rarely happened even if the "race" was correct".

https://static1.cbrimages.com/wordpr...&h=500&dpr=1.5
Still never liked that change. Even back then I was like '..... But Kingpin is white...? Wtf is this ********?'

Old 07-21-2021, 09:19 PM   #31
Leo656
The Franchise

I mean, he did alright. I was mostly onboard with it just because at that specific time, their reasoning of "We just couldn't find a white actor who had the physically imposing look we needed for Kingpin" authentically made sense. Whereas nowadays when they say something like that it just comes off like lip service. But there really weren't any other "name" actors in Hollywood at that time who could have done the role so they actually were kind of stuck. He probably was the objectively best choice they had to work with. Usually when they say that, they're lying.

Like, him and Fishburne prove that it can still come off well, BUT 99.9% of the time they do this for Outrage Clicks and to get people talking. Cheap heat. And that's annoying.

Old 07-21-2021, 09:37 PM   #32
sdp
Megan Fox = April

I was pissed kingpin was black but then I realized he actually felt like the character physically wise and let it go. Hollywood just does what's in, before they used to cast white actors instead of minorities in roles. Jessica Alba was Sue Storm in the F4 movies and that was terribly miscast. terry fitzgerald in the spawn movie was made white so the movie wouldn't appear "too black".
But yeah, I was looking at previous casting choices and Hollywood has always been horrible at casting people who look like the characters with few exceptions. Race swapping is just the current version of that since it is what sells despite the whole "go woke go broke", it doesn't really seem true for the majority of cases, which is why companies do them, they don't actually care, they never have, they just follow what's popular.
Old 07-21-2021, 09:45 PM   #33
AquaParade
Banned

Eh, it might be pandering, or she might have been the best one for the job. It’s also even possible that her skin color helped get her in the door, but she still outdid the competition. In which case, why be upset?

I’m not going to get up and arms every time a character is race-swapped, it’s ridiculous. If it gets in the way of the movie, and the actor isn’t good, then yeah, I’m going to call out the pandering. My concern is the movie being good. If they hired a good actor, I don’t care what color they are. If they hire a poor actor, then it may be an issue. Lots of these characters are white, so a couple race-swapped characters really isn’t a huge deal in the grand scheme of things. Plenty of them are still white. It’s chill.

The Black Panther comparison, I would say isn’t good. That character is known for being black. It’s in the roots of the character on more than one level. Story wise and in a meta sense. Batgirl isn’t defined by being white. She also wasn’t raised in a secret society of white people.

A more apt comparison would be Spawn. Turning Spawn white. And yeah, people would be pissed. Even though it has nothing to do with the character. But I can actually sort of understand that because there are, in fact, less popular black superheroes than white ones, so i could understand that situation a little more.

Yeah, pandering sucks, but I have to draw a line when it comes to when I decide I am simply being pandered to, when it’s a problem, and when it’s just a case of someone talented getting the job. It’s just not worth the ire until we can tell if it is a quality product.

Last edited by AquaParade; 07-21-2021 at 09:50 PM.
Old 07-21-2021, 09:56 PM   #34
sdp
Megan Fox = April

batgirl is iconic because of her red hair though, it's very much a part of cher character since it's always been visible. That's why Blonde Batgirl in the live action movie sucked, that didn't feel like batgirl and she was alfred's relative, ugh. Bird's of Prey TV Show batgirl is the most accurate to date.

But yeah I'm over it, raging about it does nothing and as I mentioned they've always miscast so even before this trend the casting never looked like the characters, and I also agree a great actor can make you not care that the character was race swapped though I don't necessarily think it's the case now. Maybe one day they'll stop rehashing and remaking everything so they can create new properties with new characters who don't have any history so they can be whatever they want.
Old 07-21-2021, 10:44 PM   #35
AquaParade
Banned

I think it’s Batwoman who has iconic red hair. It’s very striking. Barbara has been brunette.
Old 07-21-2021, 11:17 PM   #36
Sumac
Banned

Why her photo looks like one of those horrid photoshops, where they enlarge character eyes to the comedic proportions?

Otherwise, dumb pandering is dumb.
And another red head is deleted. I wonder, do SJW freaks has something against red heads?
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 11:31 PM   #37
Leo656
The Franchise

It's because "White = Bad" and you don't get much more "white" than people of Celtic descent.

Seriously, "my people" are being completely gentrified out of pop culture entirely and I'm expected to just shrug it off. How 'bout nah?

Old 07-22-2021, 08:21 AM   #38
superstaff
Mad Scientist

Quote:
I think it’s Batwoman who has iconic red hair. It’s very striking. Barbara has been brunette.
In the 60s show, she was a natural brunette that used a red haired wig attached to her cowl. There's been a few other incarnations where they re-used this idea as well, I believe. (The Batwoman TV show on CW also copied this, with Kate and also Ryan both having red wigs on their cowls that did not match their natural hair.)

Typically, however, she is a natural redhead.
superstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 08:42 AM   #39
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Sorry but no. It's like the phrase 'bad things happen when good men do nothing'.

Most we can do is not watch this trash. Let them know we're sick of this raceswap garbage, especially their personal vendetta against redheads.

Speak with your wallet. Make em tank.

Old 07-22-2021, 09:02 AM   #40
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by superstaff View Post
In the 60s show, she was a natural brunette that used a red haired wig attached to her cowl. There's been a few other incarnations where they re-used this idea as well, I believe. (The Batwoman TV show on CW also copied this, with Kate and also Ryan both having red wigs on their cowls that did not match their natural hair.)

Typically, however, she is a natural redhead.
Okay you’re right. There are a lot of examples of her being brunette, but she is more often than not, redheaded.

I don’t know how anyone thinks white people are being gentrified out of pop culture. How about all the other superheroes that are white in current adaptions? I guess Peter Parker, three white Bruce Waynes, Dr. Strange - all of whom are manning some of the biggest upcoming movies in the world - are chopped liver? Loki? Scarlet Witch? Shazam? Ant-Man? Wasp? I could go on, obviously.

Captain Marvel, a white woman, was the character they were trying to push as the head of the biggest movie franchise in the world, after retiring their other two white leads. I mean, you’ve got to ignore pretty much everything to say that white people are being kicked out of pop culture.

All that is happening with the movies is a few white characters are being cast as black. And yeah, it’s probably being done on an at least somewhat conscious level, but if she’s a good actor, I don’t see the problem. If it were every single white character, or even a majority of them, then, yeah, that would be weird. But it’s not.

Reiteration: every white character being cast as black = bad
One out of ten white characters being cast as black = find something else to worry about.

Look, I hate the trend of pandering too, but a little diversity is okay. We can’t get carried away.

Last edited by AquaParade; 07-22-2021 at 09:13 AM.