The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 08-27-2013, 03:35 PM   #10001
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic

I don't have anything to say about them. I'll have to wait and see when they come out and actually do something or have a segment to see whether I can judge if their new gimmick is okay or not. Seems intriguing though.

"Embrace your inner a**holiness."-Mr. Anderson.
BubblyShell22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 05:30 PM   #10002
TheCanadiandrome
Big, Bad & Bold

Location: Inside the Technodrome; Shredderville; Saskatchewan
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stryker View Post
Primo and Epico are fine. I'm sure they'll be fine in masks.

What is there really to say?
Lol pretty much

Add me: PSN/XBL; Nintendo Network ID: BDS-3.1.6; Switch FC: SW-3378-5206-8020

TMNT Fan Club: http://sot.ag/4jZR0

Visit My Wish List:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=30904

My Collection:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=40276
TheCanadiandrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:04 PM   #10003
XERO
Hybrid Theorist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblyShell22 View Post
I loved what Bryan did to Orton's car...
I was kinda hoping he'd crack the windshield while shouting "I gotchu, Randy! I GOTCHU, RANDY!!"

"Travel at the speed of light... then hit the nitro!"
XERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:29 PM   #10004
Leo656
The Franchise

I commented earlier that it's kind of dumb since Epico and Primo are Puerto Rican, and as far as I know bullfighting has been illegal in Puerto Rico for quite a while and was never a big deal there to begin with. I know, "stop over-analyzing wrestling", but Puerto Rico and Mexico aren't even close to being the same thing, really. Not that I'm an expert but I've known and worked with plenty of both, enough to know that they tend to get annoyed if you mix them up.

I know we as fans long ago gave our acceptance that wrestling in general (and WWE in particular) is a racist backwater, but frankly, this "Eh, Tan is Tan" stuff in 2013 is a lot more insulting to the average viewer's intelligence than it was back in the 60s, 70s and 80s, when ALL entertainment was casually racially insensitive like that.

Not to mention a wrestling matador is pretty f*cking stupid gimmick to begin with, even if it was 1991 (when it was also dumb). They're literally only doing it because, in Vince's mind, "Bullfighting is something Hispanics do, and these two brown guys are sitting around doing nothing, so why not?"

I'unno, I'm just gonna ignore it and hope it goes away. Aside from keeping them barely hanging on the payroll, nothing good can come of it.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:03 AM   #10005
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic

I agree that it looks stupid, and I have a feeling it may not give them much success depending on how they go about it. I forgot that Primo and Epico were from Puerto Rico.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:04 AM   #10006
Leo656
The Franchise

Vince is banking on EVERYONE having forgotten, is the thing.

It's just sad because it's an admission of defeat on the part of creative, like when WCW (Russo) started having all the Mexican wrestlers compete ONLY in stuff like "Pinata On A Pole" matches, or when WWE had Psicosis, Juvi and Super Crazy come out on lawnmowers. Or how everyone from Japan, or anyone who looks vaguely Oriental, is a Master Ninja. "Well, we don't know how else to present these guys!" Well, that's a shame. Because the audience laughs AT them, not with them, all while the media and society in general look at wrestling, the people who watch it and say "Man, that kind of thing is messed up and would never fly anywhere else in entertainment anymore, why are they all so backwards that every brown guy is from Mexico and every Asian is a Ninja? Why is every non-white character's wrestling ability tied directly to their ethnic and cultural background?"

I don't know. It's just one of those things that comes up a lot with people I know in "real life" who don't get wrestling, the whole "Why is it so purposely racist?" and I never have an answer, because there really isn't one nowadays. I thought/hoped the Mohammed Hassan thing would finally put it to bed. But then again, "Glee" is super-popular and every character on that show is a sterotype, so maybe we haven't moved very far forward after all.

Anyway, I doubt it has any purpose other than delaying their release by a few months. Tito Santana was one of the most popular WWF wrestlers in history, until they got bored and made him "El Matador". Oh, it's a memorable gimmick, especially for how quickly it tanked his entire career overnight. If an established star couldn't overcome such a shoddy premise, I don't see how a pair of undercard guys can make it work.

Old 08-28-2013, 12:08 PM   #10007
TheCanadiandrome
Big, Bad & Bold

Quote:
Originally Posted by XERO View Post
I was kinda hoping he'd crack the windshield while shouting "I gotchu, Randy! I GOTCHU, RANDY!!"
Rofl! Too funny

Visit My Wish List:

My Collection:
Old 08-30-2013, 10:04 PM   #10008
shuriken
Second City Shinobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
when WWE had Psicosis, Juvi and Super Crazy come out on lawnmowers.
The Juan Deeres were awesome. I knew it was terrible and hilarious, but they were a solid stable. Should been tag champs for a while(Psicosis and Super Crazy) while Juvi held the cruiserwieght title. Although everyone I've spoken to (BWO X-Pac, ) seems to think that Juvi is a dick. Whatevs ancient history now I guess.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:16 PM   #10009
Leo656
The Franchise

I never met Juvi, but I've heard that, too. Plus apparently the guy thinks he's a lot more over than he ever was for real, and would constantly pester Creative with ideas for himself, to the point the company got fed up and let him go. That's the story, anyway.

When I met Super Crazy he more or less said his push died because he put on a lot of weight. "Super Lazy", he called himself. No joke. I gotta respect that kind of honest self-assessment. It's rare.

Surprised there's not a lot more noise about Ted DiBiase Jr.'s retirement. I know he never hit the heights he was expected to, but he had a run.

Wrestling for a new company in Paterson tomorrow, we'll see how it goes.

Old 08-30-2013, 10:22 PM   #10010
shuriken
Second City Shinobi

Quote:
"Super Lazy", he called himself. No joke. I gotta respect that kind of honest self-assessment. It's rare.
Really? He did look a bit heavier during his 2007 run so yeah makes sense. I've said that about myself on my days off. "I am Super. I am Lazy. I AM SUPER LAZY "
Old 08-30-2013, 10:42 PM   #10011
Leo656
The Franchise

He absolutely did, it was funny. It was at a convention a few years ago. Someone said "Super Crazy!" to get his attention, he said "No, Super LAZY!", then laughed and rubbed his belly.

I guess if you're more or less known as being "a husky luchadore" you have to own it.

Old 08-31-2013, 06:55 AM   #10012
Mr._Mutant_Man
Mad Scientist

Quote:

It's just sad because it's an admission of defeat on the part of creative, like when WCW (Russo) started having all the Mexican wrestlers compete ONLY in stuff like "Pinata On A Pole" matches, or when WWE had Psicosis, Juvi and Super Crazy come out on lawnmowers. Or how everyone from Japan, or anyone who looks vaguely Oriental, is a Master Ninja. "Well, we don't know how else to present these guys!" Well, that's a shame. Because the audience laughs AT them, not with them, all while the media and society in general look at wrestling, the people who watch it and say "Man, that kind of thing is messed up and would never fly anywhere else in entertainment anymore, why are they all so backwards that every brown guy is from Mexico and every Asian is a Ninja? Why is every non-white character's wrestling ability tied directly to their ethnic and cultural background?"
Another thing is that every Japanese wrestler in WWE seems to eventually become a jobber. Tajiri probably fared the best, and even he was underutilized.

The Mexicools thing was very stupid. I don't see why WWE didn't just put them all back in masks and at the very least sell more masks like with Rey. Supposedly Rey needed the approval of some kind of lucha libre organization. That sounds like kayfabe, but if not I don't see why they couldn't just retcon the WCW mask losses since WCW sucked at that point.
Mr._Mutant_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 12:53 PM   #10013
TheCanadiandrome
Big, Bad & Bold

Rofl Super Lazy! That's too funny!

Also, I read that Ted Dibiase Jr. Has left the WWE

Visit My Wish List:

My Collection:

Last edited by TheCanadiandrome; 08-31-2013 at 01:26 PM.
Old 09-01-2013, 07:44 AM   #10014
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic

I wondered where Ted went. That sucks because I always thought he had a lot more that was going for him.

Super Lazy? That's funny, but at least he was willing to own up to it. I honestly like the Mexicools because I thought the lawnmowers were cool, and I felt they had potential. Now we'll have to see how Los Matadores do.

Old 09-01-2013, 09:27 AM   #10015
Mr._Mutant_Man
Mad Scientist

I'm still trying to be optimistic about Sin Cara's WWE career. Since Mysterio got injured again, any momentum he had was killed and he's back to being lost in the shuffle. It's a shame because I would think he would be really marketable.

I'd like to see WWE try the cruiserweight division again, but they need to actually utilize the belts they have first.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...e-championship

This article ranks the WWE titles, and the summary could basically be that if it isn't the WWE Championship, the writing team doesn't seem to care much.
Old 09-01-2013, 09:35 AM   #10016
The Stryker
Stupid Rich

Problem is that the World Heavyweght Title has morphed into the new mid-card belt. There need to be about two less belts and then everything can shuffle into a place that might work.

The title structure is still built for a seperated roster.

@~<3 Mom~@
The Stryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 09:43 AM   #10017
Mr._Mutant_Man
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stryker View Post
Problem is that the World Heavyweght Title has morphed into the new mid-card belt. There need to be about two less belts and then everything can shuffle into a place that might work.
I'm actually okay with that. The World Heavyweight title is the new IC Title basically, but I think it's fine for it to serve that purpose, as long as the title is given a purpose in storylines and isn't just "a piece of luggage" like the article writer says.

I think the number of championships is okay, but something needs to be done to make the US and IC titles stand out. Maybe have one be defended under special rules, like time limit matches or something like ROH's "Pure" title. Then have one get defended on weekly TV like WCW's TV Title.
Old 09-01-2013, 10:10 AM   #10018
The Stryker
Stupid Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr._Mutant_Man View Post
I'm actually okay with that. The World Heavyweight title is the new IC Title basically, but I think it's fine for it to serve that purpose, as long as the title is given a purpose in storylines and isn't just "a piece of luggage" like the article writer says.

I think the number of championships is okay, but something needs to be done to make the US and IC titles stand out. Maybe have one be defended under special rules, like time limit matches or something like ROH's "Pure" title. Then have one get defended on weekly TV like WCW's TV Title.
The ROH pure title sucked. There's a reason they got rid of it fairly quickly.

There is no reason to have THREE mid-card belts. Get rid of the US title and merge the WHC with the WWE title. Move the IC belt into the World title's position by having credible guys go for it instead of losers like Barrett and Axel.

@~<3 Mom~@
The Stryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 02:41 PM   #10019
Leo656
The Franchise

Totally agree, man. They're still acting like the Brand Extension matters or exists. The U.S. Title needs to go; I'm a huge fan of the history and lineage behind "The U.S. Title" (not theirs; their version has no connection to the WCW/NWA/Other U.S. Titles of the past), the idea of it, the lineage of it, but it's never been a WWE/WWF/WWWF Title until recently, when they needed a SmackDown analogue for the IC belt. They created the North American Title (which became the Intercontinental Title) specifically to be the "NOT-U.S. Title" (since the NWA had an established U.S. Title for many years before), but still serve the exact same purpose. Something about the WWF/E having a U.S. Title never felt right, to me. Plus, it's kind of ugly (to me); if they had done like the World Title and use the old WCW design with the WWE logo, I might've been behind it more. But it's long outlived its usefulness. I say merge it with the IC belt and be done with it.

I also think it's been a few years overdue to unify the World and WWE Titles back into the "WWE World Heavyweight Championship" (as it was generally known until the Extension and they had to make "World Champion" a brand-exclusive term), or go back to calling it the "Undisputed WWE Championship" (they could do worse than bringing THAT belt back, either, as I felt it didn't get a long enough run; it was their last good-looking Title belt). In theory, being World Champion should count for more than being WWE Champion, since the World is larger than the WWE (just not if you ask Vince). I know they never will, but I'd merge the belts and keep the Big Gold Belt due to its history and respect in the business. It just wouldn't feel right not having that belt be active anymore. But I know they'd keep the Big Gold WWE License Plate instead. Either way, they gotta trim the fat.

Great show last night, small crowd of about 80 people but it was a tight space in a shopping mall. It was the first show for a new start-up company; basically if we did good and popped the crowd all night the mall would host the promotion regularly for the next 6-12 months. Apparently we did that, which is awesome because finding a place to host shows is one of the toughest parts of running an indy fed, and in fact, the company was supposed to start running about 4 months ago, but had trouble finding a venue. The idea behind the show is old-school 1980s wrestling in an intimate setting, kind of like the old NWA weekly studio shows on TBS back in the day (which I loved). It was the easiest crowd I ever worked, they popped for freakin' everything. We had a 2/3 Falls match for the CWA Tag Team Titles (we lost through Heel Shenanigans), some people said we were Match of the Night, which is cool, I saw no other matches though so I can't say, but we were the only Cruiserweight-style match and we definitely had a faster pace, which is what we were hired to do. In true 80s style, most of the guys are pretty big, but we were brought in specifically to "do what The Rockers did in the '80s", the fast-paced tag team stuff in between the big brawlers. The acoustics made the 80 people sound like 300, which was awesome. We get to go back Sept. 28, and I can't wait. If all goes well we're supposed to have a feud with the Tag Champs through fall, and if the company does well they're looking to expand into iPPVs and things like that. Here's hoping.

Not allowed to put the match online at the moment, but we'll see. It was fun.

Old 09-01-2013, 02:48 PM   #10020
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic

I agree about the WHC being useless at this point. You would think it would be a top belt, but it seems like there's not much going for it nowadays, and it's just there while the WWE Championship is the top belt. I also think the U.S. title is butt ugly. They should change that design or get rid of it. It's had a good run, but lately, it's been another useless title in and of itself.

Glad you had fun, Leo.

Tags
armbar#, silverdome brother, wrestling