The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 06-14-2018, 02:57 PM   #41
CyberCubed
Overlord

My guess is there will be 10 newcomers (so 8 more characters after Ridley and Inklings), since Sakurai said there may not be many new characters in this game. I'm not sure if echoes like Daisy will count toward that total.

My guess for 10 unique characters:

1. Inklings
2. Ridley
3. Dixie
4. K. Rool
5. Captain Toad
6. New Pokemon Rep
7. Simon Belmont
8. Some obscure NES or JRPG character only Sakurai likes
9. Possible another third party rep?
10. ARMS or Xenoblade 2 character
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 02:59 PM   #42
Prowler
Emperor

if we get another third person rep, who would you like to see? I'd like to see Scorpion or Sub-Zero in Smash, but I don't think that's ever gonna happen.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 03:01 PM   #43
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
if we get another third person rep, who would you like to see? I'd like to see Scorpion or Sub-Zero in Smash, but I don't think that's ever gonna happen.
Could be Rayman after how much Ubisoft works with Nintendo lately. But it might be another Square character.
Old 06-14-2018, 03:02 PM   #44
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

How about Bonk? From "Bonk's Revenge," etc..

Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 03:03 PM   #45
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Could be Rayman after how much Ubisoft works with Nintendo lately. But it might be another Square character.
Good call. He might be the one.
Old 06-14-2018, 03:11 PM   #46
Shark_Blade
Emperor

SSB Ultimate tones down Snake’s butt.

https://www.theverge.com/platform/am...tendo-samus-e3

The audacity.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 03:14 PM   #47
Prowler
Emperor

I doubt most Smash players were ever looking at Snake's ass, anyway.

And for the record, I don't care about Samus' boobs getting a bit smaller either.
Old 06-14-2018, 03:18 PM   #48
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Alex Kidd would be awesome, too.
Old 06-14-2018, 03:19 PM   #49
Prowler
Emperor

Lol Alex kidd, Sega's first mascot. Isn't he pretty much dead or did Sega ever try to revive him?

But he could be an assist trophy or something. That would be a nice homage.
Old 06-14-2018, 03:42 PM   #50
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Lol Alex kidd, Sega's first mascot. Isn't he pretty much dead or did Sega ever try to revive him?
He showed up in "Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing" back in 2010. Nothing since.

He was awesome... I loved the crap out of "Alex Kidd in Miracle World" on Sega Master System.
Old 06-14-2018, 03:56 PM   #51
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
He showed up in "Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing" back in 2010. Nothing since.

He was awesome... I loved the crap out of "Alex Kidd in Miracle World" on Sega Master System.
Was it lonely owning a Master System in USA? That console was mostly a success in Brazil and Europe. In USA and Japan it was crushed by the NES.
Old 06-14-2018, 03:59 PM   #52
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Was it lonely owning a Master System in USA? That console was mostly a success in Brazil and Europe. In USA and Japan it was crushed by the NES.
It was! I would constantly defend it to everyone. I'd tell them they were dumb for getting a NES, that SMS was where it was at and that Alex Kidd would kick the crap out of Mario any day of the week. I held onto it until toward the end of the NES' run, then quietly buried my pride, sold it and went and bought a NES.

To be fair, the SMS phaser IS a lot cooller than the NES gun...

Wait... Sega Master System II?
Old 06-14-2018, 04:24 PM   #53
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
It was! I would constantly defend it to everyone. I'd tell them they were dumb for getting a NES, that SMS was where it was at and that Alex Kidd would kick the crap out of Mario any day of the week. I held onto it until toward the end of the NES' run, then quietly buried my pride, sold it and went and bought a NES.

To be fair, the SMS phaser IS a lot cooller than the NES gun...

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....1vjJ16sCKL.jpg

Wait... Sega Master System II?
Same thing happened with me regarding the GameCube. Everyone else at school had a PS2. I had to defend the GC against their "Nintendo is crap. Their games are for kids!" arguments.

Well, I'm not very knowledgeable about the SMS, but the Genesis had a couple of different models, so maybe that was the case for the SMS as well?
Old 06-14-2018, 07:15 PM   #54
Powder
So tired of this place

Too bad about Bomberman only being an assist, he'd be a blast to use as a fighter. I am glad Ridley is finally present, it being hunched over & stuff is a clever way to make it not look so damn huge, without having to actually scale it down to a ridiculous extent. It's nice that all of the old characters are returning, but considering this is a port (Ugh. It's a nicely upgraded port, but still, ugh.) I am supremely disappointed that most of the new characters are old characters. New arrivals are practically the driving force behind convincing people to double dip, yo! So I'm on the fence about this, for now. Hopefully there will be enough new characters/stages/modes to entice me. All the new things/upgrades are impressive, just might not be enough for me. Every penny counts, these days.

That said, I'd like to see Dixie Kong, Mimikyu, a Kirby ally, a Pokemon Trainer "Echo" with different Pokemon, Rayman, & Aiai from Super Monkey Ball. Bomberman would be on the list, but alas, his fate was already decided. One want I'd really go bananas for is a bit unrealistic, but has a lot of potential- a Guardian Scout, from Breath Of The Wild. You know, one of the small ones that can use its laser eye as well as various ancient weapons. Give it a spring jump & quick footwork, call it a day. It'd never happen, but given how popular the game was, & how integral those enemies were to it, I'd find it fitting. Others I wouldn't mind having include Isabelle, Waluigi, a Captain Toad "Echo", King K. Rool (I know, I know, he's been retired...), a Street Fighter Echo (Zangief would be neat!), Master Hand, an ARMS character, & more fun alternate costumes like how Mario has, that's a neat gimmick.

One thing that irked me, though, the way BOTW is represented. Link should summon the champions for his final smash, rather than just using ancient arrows. & the BOTW tower stage, so, so boring, what a wasted opportunity. They should instead have put you in Hyrule Field, with hazards like charging animals, horseback Bokoblin, & the occasional Guardian who randomly targets players with a deadly laser blast. That would be AMAZING.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 07:21 PM   #55
Turo602
The King of Kings

Why isn't Classic Sonic an echo fighter?
Old 06-14-2018, 07:23 PM   #56
CyberCubed
Overlord

This isn't a port, it's a new game with all old stuff returning and likely 10+ new characters and levels.

I don't know what people expect out of fighters. We'll likely never get a new full-fledged story mode like Brawl had, so all they can add is new characters, levels, and whatever new modes Sakurai comes up with.
Old 06-14-2018, 07:59 PM   #57
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Well, I'm not very knowledgeable about the SMS, but the Genesis had a couple of different models, so maybe that was the case for the SMS as well?
In any case, the Sega Master System taught me a very important lesson at a very early age: never trust Sega, ever again.
Old 06-14-2018, 09:02 PM   #58
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
This isn't a port, it's a new game with all old stuff returning and likely 10+ new characters and levels.
To be fair, the game does look extremely similar to the Wii U version. I'm no expert on the Smash games engine, but anyone can tell that Ultimate uses the Wii U version of Smash as its base, both in terms of graphics and mechanics.

Compare this to say, how distinct N64, Melee and Brawl are to each other. Not a bad thing however, as I think that focusing on an already existing engine will give the developers more time to have all characters/stages as this game promised.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 09:52 PM   #59
Powder
So tired of this place

Quote:

I don't know what people expect out of fighters. We'll likely never get a new full-fledged story mode like Brawl had, so all they can add is new characters, levels, and whatever new modes Sakurai comes up with.
It's a port. A port with a bunch of upgrades, but a port nonetheless.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 10:40 PM   #60
Shark_Blade
Emperor

It’s a different engine jilt from the ground up; so not really a port despite looking very similar with SSB Wii U/3DS.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote