The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Music

Notices

Old 12-05-2022, 08:58 PM   #1
Prowler
Emperor

Do you use Spotify?

I've had it since it became available in my country in late 2013. And got Premium on it around 2016 and mostly have had it since then.

It's where I listen to to most of my music nowadays. It doesn't have very single artist in the world, but it has a ton of artists including plenty of not so famous ones. It's a great service.

I don't understand why the yearly Spotify wrapped is done in late November/early December though. It should wait until the year ends.

Spotify is what's keeping lastfm alive pretty much, since you can link both accounts and scrobble the music you listen to on Spotify onto lastfm.

It's just a very practical app to have. You have countless songs and artists available in your pocket and no longer feel compelled to obtain music from... other sources. I'm perfectly OK with just streaming music from Spotify.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 10:57 AM   #2
IMJ
Emperor

The boss and the camarón (that's spanish for "shrimp" for those who didn't know) at home use Spotify. I understand streaming music, I think it's great in it's own way, but I personally maintain my home media server which also has a remote connection so I just go that route and basically "own" my music.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 06:49 PM   #3
Prowler
Emperor

Owning way more CDs and vinyls would be nice, but it would end up very pricey considering the amount of artists I listen to on Spotify. And a lot of that music would be difficult to find in stores anyway. I just love the convenience of Spotify. The monthly fee for it is so cheap for the ton of music you can access. You can even just use the service for free but then you'll get ads every 2 or 3 songs and that's annoying. And you're only allowed to shuffle through playlists.

Some years ago, Spotify decided to go public because it wasn't being profitable enough. After all lots of people have an account but don't subscribe to Premium. And Premium has a cheap monthly fee.

I guess there is a risk of Spotify going under someday in the future but it's been around for a long time and some other streaming service would just replace it anyway.
Old 12-10-2022, 08:07 PM   #4
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Owning way more CDs and vinyls would be nice, but it would end up very pricey considering the amount of artists I listen to on Spotify. And a lot of that music would be difficult to find in stores anyway. I just love the convenience of Spotify. The monthly fee for it is so cheap for the ton of music you can access. You can even just use the service for free but then you'll get ads every 2 or 3 songs and that's annoying. And you're only allowed to shuffle through playlists.

Some years ago, Spotify decided to go public because it wasn't being profitable enough. After all lots of people have an account but don't subscribe to Premium. And Premium has a cheap monthly fee.

I guess there is a risk of Spotify going under someday in the future but it's been around for a long time and some other streaming service would just replace it anyway.

I just like that I'm not at the mercy of a streamer to make something unavailable in the long-run. I still buy CD's and records from my top five or so bands and I collect vinyl from the old Chicago Industrial music label "Wax Trax!". I only pump the vinyl through it's own independent stereo, but I rip the CD's to a media-server which I either pipe FLAC or 320.48 through a series of Sonos speakers around the house or through my Oppo UDP-203 into my home theater stereo.

Everyone else in the house, however, basically uses streaming. I do know that Amazon's streaming service is also decent if you have Amazon Prime. But I got a taste for streaming over a decade ago when "Pandora" was huge. I realized that we'd be at the mercy of a streaming service as soon as Pandora stopped playing whatever it was you searched for, opting by policy to play something similar to what you searched for instead. It's a small example from a free service, but it illustrated to me that I'd rather own media that license music that they can un-license.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 08:45 PM   #5
Prowler
Emperor

Yeah that's understandable.
Old 12-11-2022, 08:39 AM   #6
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
But I got a taste for streaming over a decade ago when "Pandora" was huge. I realized that we'd be at the mercy of a streaming service as soon as Pandora stopped playing whatever it was you searched for, opting by policy to play something similar to what you searched for instead. It's a small example from a free service, but it illustrated to me that I'd rather own media that license music that they can un-license.
Yeah that's why I could never **** with Pandora, I didn't like how you could at most only search for one song before it started just playing whatever it thought you might like next, if that first song was even available. It's funny though, when Spotify recommends new music to me it's usually right and I like it. I've been using Spotify for at least a decade though and have somewhere over 14,000 songs in my library.
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 09:58 AM   #7
Wesley
Mad Scientist

I’ve used Spotify since around half a decade ago. It’s great for listening to songs from different genres and making playlists. And I’m content with the free version. Because I’m not a big fan of music. Still prefer YouTube and CDs overall, though, for listening to my favourite bands/artists.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 08:49 PM   #8
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
I’ve used Spotify since around half a decade ago. It’s great for listening to songs from different genres and making playlists. And I’m content with the free version. Because I’m not a big fan of music. Still prefer YouTube and CDs overall, though, for listening to my favourite bands/artists.
Well, I can't stand ads, so I definitely subscribe to Premium.

I mostly use YouTube to listen to video game OSTs and anime music and stuff that's not on Spotify.