The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 05-16-2007, 07:53 PM   #1
Scandia
Mad Scientist

Am I the only one who...

Is APPALLED at the fact that in the movie, April and Casey are cohabiting?

I could not believe it when I saw it. And now the comic book confirms it.

Please don't tell me that "everybody does it nowadays"- cause I sure don't and won't. This is still supposed to be a family-friendly movie- not necessarily a kiddie movie, but one that is friendly to all audiences.

Did they cohabit before being married in the original comic book? I'm not counting when they were living in the farm in Northampton, but after they became an official couple and Shadow had already been born?
Scandia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 08:12 PM   #2
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scandia View Post
Please don't tell me that "everybody does it nowadays"- cause I sure don't and won't. This is still supposed to be a family-friendly movie- not necessarily a kiddie movie, but one that is friendly to all audiences.
For christ's sake, this is pretentious bollocks. The first movie is more violent than TMNT, and plenty of familes went to see that. Let's also not forget the darker content of the new series and countless other series like Batman: TAS that have moments of murder and scenes of psychtoic disorder.
ZariusTwo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 08:35 PM   #3
Katie
Just...way too serious.

hmm. Pre-marital cohabitation is not against my personal morals..I gotta say that right off.

I think that it really is quite impossible to be completely inoffensive to everyone all the time. It IS a family friendly movie for a good chunk of the audience...but there will always be portions of the audience that are offended by certian aspects.

What about April's attire? certian sections of society would be offended by it...does that make it not family friendly because it offends those people?

Or the fact that Casey does not seem to have a job? Some people might find that offensive....does that make it not family friendly because the traditional bread winning roles are reversed?

You could nit-pick alot of little things about alot of movies and shows. What we would end up with is NOTHING being TOTALLY inoffensive everyone. Because everyone has different interpretations of what they consider to be moral and what they would like to teach their families, etc, and because you will NEVER live in a world that conforms just to your specific moral standards, you have to use situations where you find yourself confronted with something you don't belive is right to teach your kids why you think this is wrong.

Just remember...not EVERYONE finds things like that to be wrong or immoral.

and on Casey and April....it's been a long while since I got to look through my old comics, but I do believe they did live together before marriage. And Shadow is neither Casey or April's Biological child....but the product of a rape on her mother who Casey later married (after knowing she was pregnant) and Casey lived with the mother before they were married as well. so yes, that is an accepted part of the TMNT comics.
Old 05-16-2007, 09:58 PM   #4
Spitfire
Writer • Director

Go preach your crap else where. I've had my fill of people like you for a life time.
Old 05-16-2007, 10:00 PM   #5
ThemanthatwouldbeRaphael
Banned

I think it's just you.

Quote:
Did they cohabit before being married in the original comic book? I'm not counting when they were living in the farm in Northampton, but after they became an official couple and Shadow had already been born?
Actually yeah they did.
ThemanthatwouldbeRaphael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 10:04 PM   #6
Roseangelo
Emperor

Not bothered one bit.

Although I do recall reading in an interview that it was a tricky thing to pull off for a PG movie.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 10:15 PM   #7
Spitfire
Writer • Director

I don't see how it would be hard to pull off. It's two people living together. They showed them kissing you'd think that would be harder to pull off.

"OH MY GOD THEIR LIVING TOGETHER!!" I mean you act like they were screwing or something.
Old 05-16-2007, 10:17 PM   #8
MrPliggins
Foot Elite

I'm all for cohabitation before marriage. When living together you experience each other's personal habits and flaws firsthand, every day. I think this is needed to know if you can deal with these annoyances for eternity.
MrPliggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 10:17 PM   #9
iris
moddy mod mod

Quote:

What's the problem with seeing someone do something you disagree with, in fiction? Does liking a series or movie mean you endorse everything in it?

It was Casey and April's living arrangement that made you question the family friendliness of this flick? Really? Not the violence? Not the fact that one of the turtles was acting as judge, jury, and executioner to the baddies?

"Family friendly" flicks don't have to be 100% of your personal moral gold standard. If there are things you don't agree with (and I'm sure that happens to everyone with kids) maybe that's a good opportunity for a discussion about it. It's good for kids to learn that they need not emulate everything they see on a screen.
Old 05-16-2007, 10:19 PM   #10
Stone Warrior

They're living in SIN! AIIIIIIEEEEEE!!!

*coughs*

Sorry for not following the disclaimer but will say it anyway: Modern couples do that nowadays. Kids won't question that. And even if they do, that's an indication that you should prepare the answers.

We all know that Most Writers Are Male. Something like eighty percent of media aimed at children have male main characters, whereas half the population is female. At best, women will often be minor characters or will not be present at all. Stories about women are for women, stories about men are for general consumption. (TV Tropes Feminist Fantasy)

Last edited by Avatar Yuffie; 05-16-2007 at 10:25 PM.
Avatar Yuffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 11:44 PM   #11
Revan
Han Shot First

Appalled? Really? I noticed it but I didn't mind. Maybe not everyone does it nowadays but people do do it. I was not offended by anything in the whole movie and I thought they handled most everything pretty well considering the PG rating.

I thought it was almost too family oriented. I love the turtles-as-a-family theme and all but I could definately gone for just a tad more violence. Still, I thought they catered to the audience quite well. I don't see why you disapproved of the cohabitation. Is it because it is sin? Because there is sin in pretty much every movie. TMNT had all kinds of sin besides cohabitation but that is the secular world. K, I'm off religion now.
Old 05-17-2007, 12:33 AM   #12
Janus Prospero
Hench Mutant

I just have to reiterate what others have said.

This movie contains loads of violence, instances of vigilantism, and possibly attempted fratricide. If premarital cohabitation is what bothered you most about this movie, perhaps you need to get your priorities straight.

I had another point to make, but I think Katie said it better than I could have, so go re-read her post.
Old 05-17-2007, 01:06 AM   #13
Sage Ninja
Band of the Hawk

Quote:

actually...I was rather impressed with that. I thought it was really cool to show Casey and April in a relationship where they lived together in a animated film. I was like hot damn they went there? Good for them! I think showing a couple cohabitating in an animated film is a step in a mature direction for PG films personally.

And honestly the whole thing was handled beautifully well. Its not like they showed them in bed together or anything.

Cassandra: You won't fight me, but will you fight...for HIM?

~Cassandra's Revenge

~Tangled the Series
Sage Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 01:10 AM   #14
jenna
Mad Scientist

Quote:

I've got to ask, what is your issue with it? That they are 'living in sin' to quote a very wise member of the board below ? If you have religious beliefs about it (I know, no religious debates, not starting one - promise) then that's fine and your choice, but probably one that would not be echoed excesively by others who are less offended by anything outside of their remit.

Or is it another issue that I've missed?

Personally I think cohabiting is brilliant. It's the best thing I ever did, and I don't think I would be married now if we hadn't lived together first.

I would have thought April and Casey could handle it. And as for its effect on family film audiences, I can't see it being a problem the number of families that fall outside of the traditional nuclear family is growing, and I think the film condones tolerance and acceptance of other religions / beliefs by having them living together.

Wouldn't the world be a boring place if we all thought the same way?
jenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 01:17 AM   #15
ThemanthatwouldbeRaphael
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Ninja View Post
And honestly the whole thing was handled beautifully well. Its not like they showed them in bed together or anything.
That's in the Unrated version.
ThemanthatwouldbeRaphael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 01:51 AM   #16
Janus Prospero
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThemanthatwouldbeRaphael View Post
That's in the Unrated version.
Boom-chika-wa-wa!
Old 05-17-2007, 04:26 AM   #17
Scandia
Mad Scientist

Quote:
and on Casey and April....it's been a long while since I got to look through my old comics, but I do believe they did live together before marriage. And Shadow is neither Casey or April's Biological child....but the product of a rape on her mother who Casey later married (after knowing she was pregnant) and Casey lived with the mother before they were married as well. so yes, that is an accepted part of the TMNT comics.
I knew that Shadow was not Casey's biological daughter. And that he lived with Gabrielle before marrying her. But that is part of the darker grittier comics meant for an older audience. And I did not know that Gabrielle had been raped- where is that stated?

Quote:
You could nit-pick alot of little things about alot of movies and shows. What we would end up with is NOTHING being TOTALLY inoffensive everyone. Because everyone has different interpretations of what they consider to be moral and what they would like to teach their families, etc, and because you will NEVER live in a world that conforms just to your specific moral standards, you have to use situations where you find yourself confronted with something you don't belive is right to teach your kids why you think this is wrong.
I am the first one who will tell you that I despise complete sanitation, emasculation, and political correctness in fiction. However, I guess I identified with April too much before this.

I don't care for the fact that Casey has no job- but he can find one easily.

Quote:
Is it because it is sin? Because there is sin in pretty much every movie. TMNT had all kinds of sin besides cohabitation but that is the secular world.
More like personal discomfort. And the fact that there is a higher rate of divorce among couples who co-habited than among those who didn't. Whether correlation equals causation that would be another story.

I just wanted to bring this up, since I had not seen anyone discuss it. It is not going to make me stop supporting the franchise. I usually do not mind things like that in most other movies/books/TV series...but I would not have expected to see it in this one. It was tricky to pull off to say the least. And I LOVED it when they kissed. Not to mention it was cool to see their relationship issues- not everything is sunshine and butterflies. But the cohabiting part I honestly did not see it coming.

Do I have friends who cohabit? Yes. Am I judging them for that? No. Will I stop being their friend because of that? No. Do I approve of it? No. Would I do it? No.
Scandia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 06:56 AM   #18
odupianist
Mad Scientist

Quote:
I'm all for cohabitation before marriage. When living together you experience each other's personal habits and flaws firsthand, every day. I think this is needed to know if you can deal with these annoyances for eternity.
Agree 200% lol

Quote:
Do I have friends who cohabit? Yes. Am I judging them for that? No. Will I stop being their friend because of that? No. Do I approve of it? No. Would I do it? No.
Are you "appalled" by them? Probably

Quote:
actually...I was rather impressed with that. I thought it was really cool to show Casey and April in a relationship where they lived together in a animated film. I was like hot damn they went there? Good for them! I think showing a couple cohabitating in an animated film is a step in a mature direction for PG films personally.
I was impressed as well. It shows that things really have changed since we last saw the TMNT on the big screen. I mean hell, at least Casey has a home now lol. I know it was one of the deleted scenes in the first movie where he's sitting in this run down place, kind of like in the 2k3 series.
odupianist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 07:09 AM   #19
Tinuvielsdreams
Nothing without passion

I don't think there would have been room for a wedding anyway... I don't see that kinda of thing happening in the TMNT world.

"Put down the weapons for a minute so we can hitched"
It doesn't work so well.

Personally I like to know what I am getting into, this next comment maybe out of line or spark another huge debate, but the divorce rate is high and I would rather live with someone then get divorced later cause I was suprised... Not that living together would stop all split ups but it could help...
I dunno I just appreciate the school of thought where I do what I want and you do what you want, staying out of everyone else's business unless invited.
Tinuvielsdreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 07:48 AM   #20
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
It was tricky to pull off to say the least.
How the hell was it tricky? They just DID it, noone approving the film raised an issue with it, noone in the audience were dropping their jaw, except the elitist moralists with their mentally ill nitpicking...and they've got enough problems pointing out all of the violence portrayed in all of the films anyway.
ZariusTwo is online now   Reply With Quote