The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 02-19-2009, 08:45 PM   #1
Shredder
Admin/Layton Apprentice

Street Fighter IV

Since this highly anticipated game is now out, and as a longtime Street Fighter fan myself, I thought Street Fighter IV deserves a thread of its own. I don't have it just yet, but will add my thoughts once I've played it. Does it live up to the hype? Discuss.

"Well, actually, I always wanted to be a writer. Being a ruthless conqueror was my second choice." --Shredder, Take Me to Your Leader
Shredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 08:48 PM   #2
ThirdMarioBro
Tea Time!

Yeah, safe to call it the best in the series by this point. Everything just flows. My only gripe is that Chun-Li isn't as effective as she used to be. I don't necessarily think she's been nerfed in any way, but that the game is so well balanced. All that location testing seems to have paid off.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:03 PM   #3
Super Moderator

I've been playing the Street Fighter Anniversary Collection on PS2 to help get used to the fighting system they use, and it's helped a lot for SFIV. I play it at school when I have some downtime. We have every console going. It's been a lot of fun, until the big fighting game homos who take gaming too seriously come in and ruin all of the fun.
愛 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 09:10 PM   #4
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

I want it so baddddddddddddd.

I have a question. Why has the Alpha series pretty much been forgotten? When i was young, I thought that was the official series.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:27 PM   #5
Brodie
Certified Teacher

Don't worry, Cure, the new Chun Li Movie Film For Theaters is using Alpha cannon.

That's exciting. Isn't that exciting?

That's exciting.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:40 PM   #6
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
Don't worry, Cure, the new Chun Li Movie Film For Theaters is using Alpha cannon.

That's exciting. Isn't that exciting?

That's exciting.
Why wouldn't the Street Fighter Alpha (titled "Street Fighter Zero" in Japan) trilogy be canon? The whole thing is basically Street Fighter 1.5, as it takes place in between Street Fighter 1 and Street Fighter 2.

Oddly enough, story-wise, Street Fighter 4 takes place in between Street Fighter 2 and Street Fighter 3, making it kind of a Street Fighter 2.5... which isn't entirely inappropriate, since Street Fighter 4 imports the entire roster of Street Fighter 2 and Street Fighter 3 only had Ryu, Ken, Akuma, and Chun-Li.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 10:59 PM   #7
Ninjinister
無問題

Street Fighter canon (sticking strictly to SF games, not including Final Fight and some such), goes as follows:

Street Fighter
Street Fighter Alpha 2 (the first one's canon is overwritten by this one)
Street Fighter Alpha 3
Street Fighter II (Super Turbo Uber-Hyper Megamix HD or whatever :p... they keep re-releasing this game over and over, so the most recent release is the most up-to-date canon-wise)
Street Fighter IV
Street Fighter III 2nd Impact (Overwrites the original SF III's canon)
Street Fighter III 3rd Strike (Epilogue to SF III/2nd Impact)

Thank God this monstrosity isn't canon....
Old 02-20-2009, 01:15 AM   #8
ThirdMarioBro
Tea Time!

I love the EX moves. You've got to watch the power bar pretty closely now when managing the specials, but everything is so easy to pull off. Compared to SFIII, this is boss. You've got all the complexity of the best of the series, but in a control style that is manageable and grounded. That was my problem with 3rd Strike. Unless you could play at a godly level, you weren't going to keep up with pros. I consider myself a GIANT Street Fighter series fan, but my skill level has never been close to that of a pro. They've actually created a game that appeals across the board. The last game in the series to do that was SSFIITurbo, and people have been playing that for 15 years+ now. SFIV is fighting perfection.
Old 02-20-2009, 01:25 AM   #9
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

In other words, you wanted a button-mashing unskilled fighter game? Doesn't sound like SF is for you... I recommend Tekken. SF represents a true test of skill.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 01:27 AM   #10
Brodie
Certified Teacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Why wouldn't the Street Fighter Alpha (titled "Street Fighter Zero" in Japan) trilogy be canon? The whole thing is basically Street Fighter 1.5, as it takes place in between Street Fighter 1 and Street Fighter 2.
I think you missed the point of my post.
Old 02-20-2009, 05:06 AM   #11
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
In other words, you wanted a button-mashing unskilled fighter game? Doesn't sound like SF is for you... I recommend Tekken. SF represents a true test of skill.
Tekken isn't a button-mashing unskilled fighting game, either. A button-mashing game is Guilty Gear. Also, SF isn't a "true test of skill."
Old 02-20-2009, 12:14 PM   #12
Ninjinister
無問題

I'm going to start stabbing people if this starts to get elitist. If you want to do this, SRK's more up your alley.
Old 02-20-2009, 05:23 PM   #13
Super Moderator

I'm not getting elitist. Hell, I'm not even good at fighting games. I just enjoy them. It's when people start to get too serious business about something, it ruins all of the fun. This is especially disheartening when it takes place in a public place where many people of differing skills go against each other, which happens all of the time where I play.
Old 02-20-2009, 05:35 PM   #14
Brodie
Certified Teacher

Has anyone else had trouble getting online matches? It takes forever to find a Quickmatch, on either Ranked or Player settings. Why the hell do they call it Quickmatch?!

I'm in a weird place, because I -played- SF2 and 3 when I was younger, but I never PLAYED (lived) SF. It was just something I'd drop quarters into at the arcade, or would rent from the video store. I was never any good, because it wasn't something that was engrained in my childhood completely.

So, here I was, playing SF4...And I felt like I missed the boat. A game hasn't made me feel like I sucked this bad since Megaman 9. It feels like to train for this game, I needed to have been playing for the passed 10+ years.

I played through the first arcade mode....then hit up training/challenges. Then I played a few matches with Stryker, and then his Gold membership expired (hilarity), so I ended up playing various people online.

I've come to find out that there are people who are ridiculously good, then there's people like me. Those people being the ones who haven't really picked up a fighting game like this in a long time (or are picking up a SF game for the first time ever).

So, its kind of neat, being able to get that sense of accomplishment for learning, and practicing, and pulling off moves as one specific character. Its essentially finding the series over again, and getting that sense of, I dunno, "wonder" that people who LOVE SF found when they were younger, and TRAINED on this game.

(If only SF was essentially like the Last Starfighter)

Since I paid money for this game, I feel OBLIGATED to learn, and train, and have -fun- with the game. So far it has been really fun. I was getting my ass handed to me for a while, but I stuck with it, and it was still fun.
Old 02-20-2009, 05:55 PM   #15
Ninjinister
無問題

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ai View Post
I'm not getting elitist. Hell, I'm not even good at fighting games. I just enjoy them. It's when people start to get too serious business about something, it ruins all of the fun. This is especially disheartening when it takes place in a public place where many people of differing skills go against each other, which happens all of the time where I play.
Shots weren't aimed at you, but good to know anyway. That's exactly how I am; I own 100-some fighting games, and still suck at 'em.
Old 02-20-2009, 11:52 PM   #16
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

Quote:
Has anyone else had trouble getting online matches? It takes forever to find a Quickmatch, on either Ranked or Player settings. Why the hell do they call it Quickmatch?!

I'm in a weird place, because I -played- SF2 and 3 when I was younger, but I never PLAYED (lived) SF. It was just something I'd drop quarters into at the arcade, or would rent from the video store. I was never any good, because it wasn't something that was engrained in my childhood completely.

So, here I was, playing SF4...And I felt like I missed the boat. A game hasn't made me feel like I sucked this bad since Megaman 9. It feels like to train for this game, I needed to have been playing for the passed 10+ years.

I played through the first arcade mode....then hit up training/challenges. Then I played a few matches with Stryker, and then his Gold membership expired (hilarity), so I ended up playing various people online.

I've come to find out that there are people who are ridiculously good, then there's people like me. Those people being the ones who haven't really picked up a fighting game like this in a long time (or are picking up a SF game for the first time ever).

So, its kind of neat, being able to get that sense of accomplishment for learning, and practicing, and pulling off moves as one specific character. Its essentially finding the series over again, and getting that sense of, I dunno, "wonder" that people who LOVE SF found when they were younger, and TRAINED on this game.

(If only SF was essentially like the Last Starfighter)

Since I paid money for this game, I feel OBLIGATED to learn, and train, and have -fun- with the game. So far it has been really fun. I was getting my ass handed to me for a while, but I stuck with it, and it was still fun.
Dude, this is a long post for you. Good job.

And you make me want the game so much more. Butthole.
Old 02-20-2009, 11:56 PM   #17
The Stryker
Stupid Rich

Quote:

I played through the first arcade mode....then hit up training/challenges. Then I played a few matches with Stryker, and then his Gold membership expired (hilarity)
Screw you!

It was jesus saving you from another Dan beating!

@~<3 Mom~@
The Stryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 11:57 PM   #18
Peanut
Second Gear

I'd rather play Mortal Kombat.
Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 01:49 AM   #19
Dr. Doom
Allons-y!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
I'd rather play Mortal Kombat.
You piece of ****.
Old 02-21-2009, 02:00 AM   #20
Barkworm
Super Moderator

The last two posts are very promising. Keep it up guys!
Barkworm is offline   Reply With Quote