The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 09-13-2022, 04:59 PM   #1
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Tekken 8

It's coming.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 03:09 AM   #2
Sumac
Banned

Not fan of Tekken gameplay, but its high-level gameplay is fun to watch, so I wonder how new game will be different compared to the last one.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 05:32 AM   #3
CyberCubed
Overlord

I'm pretty much "over" most fighters these days. Outside of Mortal Kombat because I really like the lore, but all the others I played so much of back in the day and the sequels don't add that much new stuff or characters I care about. I also can't get that involved in the gameplay mechanics of each fighter anymore.

Also locking most characters behind DLC has pretty much killed it for me too.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 12:41 PM   #4
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Also locking most characters behind DLC has pretty much killed it for me too.
Well, you either get 60 characters on launch, but the game is junk and buggy mess or uses assets from previous games without anything new to add or you wait for several years for characters and balance patches being released in pieces.

I am OK with a latter, since fighting games benefit from this tactic. Because, an opposite would have been waiting for several years for a sequel or buy an updated re-release (SF4 - Super SF4).
Old 08-23-2023, 11:54 PM   #5
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Old 08-24-2023, 01:24 AM   #6
Coola Yagami
Overlord

So they pretty much ripped off the Street Fighter 6 Battle Hub? Straight down to having avatars sit on arcade machines to challenge each other. WTF Bamco???

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 01:27 AM   #7
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
So they pretty much ripped off the Street Fighter 6 Battle Hub? Straight down to having avatars sit on arcade machines to challenge each other. WTF Bamco???
It may be unclear who ripped off who first at which point in development... but... I may have to give it to SF6 if THAT is their battle hub thing, here in Tekken 8. Though the hub system in SF6 seems pretty... 15 years ago Second Life sort of 3D, but at least Tekken 8's just goes full force into "hey, we're doing mini cute...something. But just for that." But jeeze. That seems like a bold move from what people think when they think "Tekken."
Old 08-24-2023, 08:25 AM   #8
Coola Yagami
Overlord

On one hand I agree, but on the other hand, previous games have had volleyball and bowling mini games.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/

Last edited by Coola Yagami; 01-08-2024 at 06:55 PM.
Old 08-24-2023, 11:49 AM   #9
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
It may be unclear who ripped off who first at which point in development... but... I may have to give it to SF6 if THAT is their battle hub thing, here in Tekken 8. Though the hub system in SF6 seems pretty... 15 years ago Second Life sort of 3D, but at least Tekken 8's just goes full force into "hey, we're doing mini cute...something. But just for that." But jeeze. That seems like a bold move from what people think when they think "Tekken."
Considering usually **** lobbies fighting game got, SF6 World Hub is an amazing achievement. Especially since it also includes old games and customizable avatars.

Tekken's looks quite generic "follow the leader" thing. Not that's a bad thing, considering how barebones Tekken 7 was.

MK1 meanwhile made a whole board game mode for a singleplayer.
Old 01-07-2024, 12:02 AM   #10
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Game's almost out, 1/26. Anybody stoked?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
Tekken's looks quite generic "follow the leader" thing. Not that's a bad thing, considering how barebones Tekken 7 was.
Hey, they added back in "Tekken Bowl" from Tekken Tag Tournament. And that thing is everything.
Old 01-07-2024, 08:05 AM   #11
Sumac
Banned

Nah. I have T8 demo, but still didn't come around playing it.
But I doubt, it'll make me drop everything and buy T8 on a release day.
Old 01-07-2024, 11:42 AM   #12
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Game's almost out, 1/26. Anybody stoked?

Hey, they added back in "Tekken Bowl" from Tekken Tag Tournament. And that thing is everything.
I would if I had a PS5. Was honestly kinda disappointed it wasn't also for the PS4 but whatever. Maybe later this year, who knows. Honestly not ready to give up on the PS4 yet. I keep finding new games I want for it.

Old 01-07-2024, 01:45 PM   #13
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
I would if I had a PS5. Was honestly kinda disappointed it wasn't also for the PS4 but whatever. Maybe later this year, who knows. Honestly not ready to give up on the PS4 yet. I keep finding new games I want for it.
You should give up on it. It's an 11 year-old system now. Can you imagine in the 90s or 2000s, expecting new games on 11 year-old systems? You wouldn't get even half of that.
Old 01-07-2024, 03:03 PM   #14
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
You should give up on it. It's an 11 year-old system now. Can you imagine in the 90s or 2000s, expecting new games on 11 year-old systems? You wouldn't get even half of that.
Depends on where you were. NES and SNES got last new games in Japan precisely 11 years after their respective releases.

As for PS4, I think, it time is coming to an end. PS5 is on the rise, even if it is not a juggernaut, like its predecessor. And developers themselves do not want to be beholden by the limitations of the outdated hardware anymore (unless its name is Switch).
Old 01-07-2024, 03:07 PM   #15
The Inventive Donatello
Banned

Quote:
I don't have a PS5 yet either, and didn't get a PS4 until 2018. That's mainly because in recent years I haven't played games anywhere near enough to justify it. I'd like to try PS5 exclusive games. As Coola says though, the PS4 has a rich amount of games and there's always stuff to play on it that you've never played before. I will probably do the same with the Switch 2 (though I did get the Switch when Mario Odyssey came out).

If you are a hardcore gamer and have run out of stuff it makes sense to upgrade as the PS5 is probably halfway through its life now - it's in its prime or approaching it. But there's so much material on last gen and before that you don't really have to buy a current gen console yet.

Apologies for hijacking your convo.
The Inventive Donatello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2024, 11:15 PM   #16
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
LMAO are you kidding? I just found 4 games I want to buy pretty soon, namely Under Night In-Birth, Rumble Fish 2, Double Dragon Advanced and Super Double Dragon. And I still have yet to buy River City Girls 2 and Retro Mania. I feel like I have just begun buying stuff for the PS4.

Like literally the one and only game I would want for the PS5 is Tekken 8, and that's just not enough. Now MAYBE if the next Fatal Fury game is only on the PS5..... we'll see. I've waited years for the next Fatal Fury game.

I was always more of a Capcom/SNK guy than a Tekken guy and MK1 just doesn't interest me in the slightest.

Old 01-08-2024, 09:00 AM   #17
The Inventive Donatello
Banned

Quote:
LMAO are you kidding? I just found 4 games I want to buy pretty soon, namely Under Night In-Birth, Rumble Fish 2, Double Dragon Advanced and Super Double Dragon. And I still have yet to buy River City Girls 2 and Retro Mania. I feel like I have just begun buying stuff for the PS4.

Like literally the one and only game I would want for the PS5 is Tekken 8, and that's just not enough. Now MAYBE if the next Fatal Fury game is only on the PS5..... we'll see. I've waited years for the next Fatal Fury game.

I was always more of a Capcom/SNK guy than a Tekken guy and MK1 just doesn't interest me in the slightest.
Yeah you're right (though I like Mortal Kombat). There's such a massive backlog on systems like PS4 and Switch that there's really no need to upgrade to current generation, unless there's a sizeable amount of exclusive games a person wants to play.

It sounds like you are a much bigger gamer than me (these days) and you are still finding stuff to play. Then there are games (like the series this thread is about, or sports games, or beat em ups) which don't end as they are not story-driven games, and have endless replay value.

There's no point spending half a grand on a new system when you still have plenty to play on PS4.
The Inventive Donatello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 01:42 PM   #18
The Deadman
Foot Elite

Quote:
Unless its a PS5 exclusive, youre still able to purchase PS4 games even if you're on the PS5, and some games give you the PS4 version for free if you buy the PS5 version.

Last Movie Watched: Hell House LLC (2015).
Last TV Show Watched: Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog (S1:E29).
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 01:45 PM   #19
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

And don't forget about the upgrades. A ton of PS4 games have a PS5 upgrade you can install with the game on your PS5, essentially turning them into PS5 games and dramatically boosting graphics (and even if there isn't an official PS5 upgrade, chances are you'll see big improvements just by playing it on PS5), cutting loading times by 3/4s in some cases, and giving you the use of the pretty awesome haptic feedback of the PS5 controllers.
Old 01-08-2024, 01:51 PM   #20
Sumac
Banned

The only enticing part about it is faster loading time.