The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 02-18-2021, 10:22 AM   #1
slashpieturtlemix
Mad Scientist

Screen rant posting spoilers to the last ronin # 2

Screen rant posted a thread that has massive spoilers in the title for the Last Ronin # 2 and people are sharing it in a ton of Facebook tmnt groups It has literally been 24 hours since release...
slashpieturtlemix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 11:00 AM   #2
Leo656
The Franchise

Welcome to the internet, pal.

IDW should be thrilled. The more people who don't read the comics find out that this "Last Ronin" gimmick is nothing like the furry ship-fest they abandoned ship on over a year ago in the main book, the more copies of this book they're gonna sell. I.e. "Oh, snap! I wasn't gonna pick this book up, but seeing that _______ happened, NOW I'm interested!"

"Spoilers" are quite simply good for business, and do more good than harm. Only children who can only find enjoyment in a story if it "surprises" them actually get upset by such things. And if a story's only "good" when it surprises you, then it really isn't that good of a story. Remember when everybody swore that "The Sixth Sense" was incredible, because of the twist ending? And remember how everybody sobered up and realized that it actually is kind of dumb and the entire thing was only any good if you don't know the ending? Yeah.

Good on ScreenRant for enticing people who otherwise may not have picked this up into giving it a try, by illustrating that it's got more to offer than they may have assumed at first glance. By this point, any fan of ANY thing who is gonna cry about "spoilers" needs to unplug their modem and lock it in a drawer. Toughen up, fer Chrissakes.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/

Last edited by Leo656; 02-18-2021 at 11:06 AM.
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 11:08 AM   #3
AquaParade
Banned

If it makes you feel better, the spoilers in this issue that will be used as click-bait will probably be good for the book itself. Thing is, anyone who cares as much as we do, probably knew what was about to go down in this issue anyway.

Edit: The Sixth Sense ending is awesome! And knowing the twist makes the movie great, in my opinion. Different strokes, I suppose.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 11:12 AM   #4
Leo656
The Franchise

I mean, it's okay, but it's also full of holes once you DO know the twist. It's not a "bad" movie, but it's probably the strongest example of something getting almost all of it's "heat" from a twist or surprise, and then a lot of that heat going away the more you watch it. The first "Saw" was kinda like that, too, but I maintain that's honestly a better movie in general, even after you know what's going on.

Old 02-18-2021, 11:20 AM   #5
AquaParade
Banned

Yeah, but when you go back to that first scene of the young boy meeting Bruce Willis, and see how apprehensive the boy is to accept Bruce's help, and finally understand it's not just because he's shy, it's great stuff.
You realize the boy is afraid because we are seeing yet another ghost encounter, like the others. And it makes so much sense you wonder why it wasn't obvious the first time - generally speaking. That's a great twist, when all the pieces are laid out in front of you the whole time and you don't even realize it. The twist to "Unbreakable" was also brilliant.

Anyways, I'll stop defending the movie now. I hear your general point, I just felt like defending The Sixth Sense.
Old 02-18-2021, 12:06 PM   #6
Leo656
The Franchise

No harm no foul. I liked the movie, just didn't love it. For me, the fact that literally not one single person said a word to Bruce Willis until this kid did, for over a year or however long he was dead, and that Dead Bruce Willis still thought he had a job and a life despite the fact that nobody ever interacts with or says a word to him despite the fact that he's aware of the passage of time and all that, was a logical bridge too far.

"They don't know they're dead." Okay, sounds neat at first pass, but... that's kind of hard to swallow. Does every single ghost just literally think that everyone in the entire world is just choosing to be an asshole to them? Have they never, I don't know, bumped into someone while walking down the street and wondered why the person didn't react? Tried to buy a cup of coffee and wondered why the clerk just ignored them? How do they get money? There's so many holes in it.

I don't know. It's one of those premises that sounds really cool the first time it goes by you, but to me, the longer you think about it, the more "WAIT a second, but... that doesn't even make sense!" stuff starts to creep in.

"Unbreakable" was awesome, though. No argument there.

And we did more or less agree on the point that Last Ronin spoilers are actually gonna help sales of the book by getting more people interested in it.

Old 02-18-2021, 12:51 PM   #7
Ninjinister
無問題

I mean other than the name of the "Jones" girl and what's in the safe there really isn't anything too deep to spoil in this issue - nothing even close the identity of the Ronin that was revealed at the end of issue 1, anyway.

Screen Rant tho? I didn't think they still existed. I hadn't heard anything about then since like mid 2010s...
Old 02-18-2021, 01:13 PM   #8
hypered1
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinister View Post
Screen Rant tho? I didn't think they still existed. I hadn't heard anything about then since like mid 2010s...
Yeah, they mostly post second-rate top 10's to Youtube these days
Old 02-18-2021, 01:48 PM   #9
slashpieturtlemix
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinister View Post
I mean other than the name of the "Jones" girl and what's in the safe there really isn't anything too deep to spoil in this issue - nothing even close the identity of the Ronin that was revealed at the end of issue 1, anyway.

They posted an article with the title " ... this turtle died and this is how in issue 2." Of course, I decided to not post the full title but you get the gist of it. I literally skimmed it in a turtle group and was like "really dudes? I knew they were gonna die but now I expect to see him die in this issue and that takes away the fun of it "
slashpieturtlemix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 02:14 PM   #10
CyberCubed
Overlord

I mean it's still an "elseworld" comic, so does it matter? We also knew from the first issue Michelangelo was the only turtle still alive.

I don't think spoiling how a Turtle died in a 6 issue elseworld mini really matters.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 11:59 PM   #11
AquaParade
Banned

The sad truth is, no death in any modern comic is even worthy of the title "spoiler". It is the tropiest thing in comics. Every character dies, it's practically part of the "heroe's journey".

Of course, this is a little different, because we already knew the outcome and it's sort of the premise.
Old 02-19-2021, 08:52 AM   #12
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I mean it's still an "elseworld" comic, so does it matter? We also knew from the first issue Michelangelo was the only turtle still alive.

I don't think spoiling how a Turtle died in a 6 issue elseworld mini really matters.
I agree. The only hype from this series should be from any excitement of it generally being a fun story to read as opposed to any of the single elements of shock content within it.

It's basically TDKR for TMNT.

On that note I never received my first print from DCBS for issue 1. Thankfully I pre-ordered one of the Jetpack variant 1st prints.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 09:36 AM   #13
Diorm
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypered1 View Post
Yeah, they mostly post second-rate top 10's to Youtube these days
Nah man, the only good thing about screenrant on youtube, is the Pitch Meeting series.
Diorm is offline   Reply With Quote