TMNT: Jennika II #4 Preview and Discussion

First look:
Spoiler:
AlZarkovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 11:41 PM   #2
lonewarrior20
Mad Scientist

feels like a Freddy Kruger moment.

"If the sun comes up tomorrow, it is only because of men of good will. That is all there is between us and the devil."
Kenny O'Donnell

https://www.deviantart.com/lonewarrior20 my fan comic/episodes of the lost season, weird ideas and my collection pics
lonewarrior20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 09:14 AM   #3
CyberCubed
Overlord

The artist changed?
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 01:46 PM   #4
hypered1
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
The artist changed?
Yeah, it seems like the mini series is actually two 3-part stories rather than the single 6-part story that was previously assumed.
Old 02-02-2021, 10:10 AM   #5
AlZarkovski
Mad Scientist

Full preview.
AlZarkovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 10:17 AM   #6
lonewarrior20
Mad Scientist

mikey's got a shaggy sandwich.

"If the sun comes up tomorrow, it is only because of men of good will. That is all there is between us and the devil."
Kenny O'Donnell

https://www.deviantart.com/lonewarrior20 my fan comic/episodes of the lost season, weird ideas and my collection pics
Old 02-02-2021, 11:44 AM   #7
ChosenOne
Banned

Here I am, fervently praying to all the gods that these next few issues introduce IDW Chien Khan as Jennika's very own archenemesis...
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 10:45 PM   #8
Zage
Hench Mutant

Was there a nod to the Terror Bears, in there?

Dreadmon
Ninjara
Jagwar
Roadkill Rodney
Lt. Granitor
generic Stone Warrior/ Rock Soldier {preferably a 2-pack, one orangy brown, the other bluish grey}
Kid Terra
Bookwurm /w/ Innardo
Tora
Shogun

Do you ever wonder, if Baxter, as the fly, ever had the urge to eat poop?
Zage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 08:43 AM   #9
Mutant Ninja Anole
Stone Warrior

Oh yeeaah, Jennika killed people back in the day, even a few who probably didn’t deserve it. Alopex too. Nice thing to bring back.

This issue had me searching for which species of gazelle or antelope have horned females. I do enjoy her design and the art work regardless. I confess my heart sank a bit at the end there.
Old 02-03-2021, 08:54 AM   #10
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutant Ninja Anole View Post
This issue had me searching for which species of gazelle or antelope have horned females.
I haven't read the issue yet so I might not be getting what you mean but all gazelles do. Only some antelope species, though.
Old 02-03-2021, 09:23 AM   #11
Mutant Ninja Anole
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChosenOne View Post
I haven't read the issue yet so I might not be getting what you mean but all gazelles do. Only some antelope species, though.
I'm admittedly not an expert, I think I was getting them confused with impalas.
Old 02-03-2021, 09:27 AM   #12
Cloudrunner
Foot Soldier

Wow, what incredibly nice pacing this issue had! Some character development, some action, and a clear setup for the plot moving forward! And the whole thing felt like a damn TMNT comic! It's depressing that I have to look to the side stories to get issues like this since the mainline is desperate to meander around childish ideas like building a band to save the future and take 2-3 issues to even get the ball rolling on that. If the plan was to make the mainline so eye-rolling in order to make people warm up to Jennika with these great side stories... welll... it's working.
Cloudrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 11:46 AM   #13
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
I'm admittedly not an expert, I think I was getting them confused with impalas.
Yep, it can get quite confusing at times. The differences between each are very small.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudrunner View Post
Wow, what incredibly nice pacing this issue had! Some character development, some action, and a clear setup for the plot moving forward! And the whole thing felt like a damn TMNT comic! It's depressing that I have to look to the side stories to get issues like this since the mainline is desperate to meander around childish ideas like building a band to save the future and take 2-3 issues to even get the ball rolling on that. If the plan was to make the mainline so eye-rolling in order to make people warm up to Jennika with these great side stories... welll... it's working.
This. So much this. I have nothing to add. What a crazy world we live in, the minis are now the ongoing and the ongoing reads like a fever dream fanfiction.

The plot reminded me of one of the Transporter movies, I forget which one. My guess is they're gonna use Jennika to kidnap the kid.
Old 02-03-2021, 03:22 PM   #14
Mutant Ninja Anole
Stone Warrior

Admittedly, “A time traveler arrives to start a band to save the future” does weirdly seem like it could have been an episode plot in the 1987 series.

I think side story mini’s tend to have less ‘pressure’ and can tell more compact, stand alone stories? Not sure if I’m expressing myself well but I recall things like Marvel’s Civil War and the like seemed to have better received side stories than the main run.

Ah well, I think I’ll elaborate a bit more on this issue, apparently this story is by Ronda Pattison? I might have missed something. In any case she and Jodi Nishijima put together a good issue to start this second arc. Jennika’s past coming back to haunt her is great. That poor kid, not only is he dad dead, but your mother is a mutant, isolated and...oh yeah I guess she doesn’t actually care about him but wants to use him somehow. Too bad, as Lucia is a gorgeous gazelle, to repeat myself, I love the artwork. I do wonder if perhaps she isn’t the real Lucia? That theory that popped into my head about a mutant pretending to be someone else is still kicking around there I guess.
Old 02-03-2021, 05:25 PM   #15
lonewarrior20
Mad Scientist

liked it, loved the bea cameo. looks like i've got another one to add to the miss mutant pageant.

Kenny O'Donnell

Old 02-03-2021, 05:41 PM   #16
frank_one
Mad Scientist

Quote:
apparently this story is by Ronda Pattison?
Yes, story and colors. It doesn't often happen that a colorist get to write a story. Not sure if it's her first time.
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 07:07 PM   #17
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Admittedly, “A time traveler arrives to start a band to save the future” does weirdly seem like it could have been an episode plot in the 1987 series.
Or a rejected draft for Back to the Future.

Quote:
That poor kid, not only is he dad dead, but your mother is a mutant, isolated and...oh yeah I guess she doesn’t actually care about him but wants to use him somehow. Too bad, as Lucia is a gorgeous gazelle, to repeat myself, I love the artwork. I do wonder if perhaps she isn’t the real Lucia? That theory that popped into my head about a mutant pretending to be someone else is still kicking around there I guess.
I thought about that too. And then there's the chance that the guy Jenny killed isn't the kid's real father either. Either way, I like the intrigue. Feels very noir.
Old 02-04-2021, 03:46 AM   #18
lonewarrior20
Mad Scientist

I'm actually thinking of bad mafia/godfather bits now.

A wrapped fish.
"It means Joe sleeps with the fishes now."
"Well yeah, his wife got turned into a catfish."
"Hey, there's my lunch, who knew after becoming a bear how much i'd love fish. Use to hate the stuff."
Old 02-04-2021, 04:22 AM   #19
Ninjinister
無問題

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_one View Post
Yes, story and colors. It doesn't often happen that a colorist get to write a story. Not sure if it's her first time.
She's written several stories.
Old 02-04-2021, 10:33 AM   #20
spookycookies
Stone Warrior

Honestly I like the Jennika mini series (both of them so far) for how they have handled Jenny and Mutant Town as a living place better than the main comic. I guess it isn't so much the setting but how its explored that really makes it.

Also I feel like for the side stories we don't have to see the main turtles in action, this is where anybody else can get the spotlight. I feel like for way to long the actual TMNT brothers have been very overshadowed by all the other many characters in their own book.
spookycookies is offline   Reply With Quote