The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 03-05-2017, 05:56 PM   #1
Prowler
Emperor

How do you feel about the Angry Video Game Nerd?

You know, the character James Rolfe has been playing for over a decade now(holy crap, time flies!).

I found out AVGN's videos completely by accident one day on youtube back in mid-late 2006 or so while looking for TMNT related stuff. Saw that there was a video review of the TMNT NES game by him. Took me a few weeks to finally check it out. One day I just realised "well it has a shi*ton of views, so there's gotta be something interesting about it, so I eventually decided to check it out and... well I didn't like it much at first because I wasn't expecting him to suddenly start cussing like a sailor in it. I guess the name ANGRY Nintendo Nerd should have been enough of a hint for me, but hey come on now, that style of reviewing games didn't get popular until James Rolfe hit it big.

Anyway, I decided to check his channel some days later. Up until then, his latest episode was Friday the 13th or Nightmare on Elm Street. So he already had a dozen or so episodes. I watched all of his older episodes on one weekend and laughed my ass off to them. I was going through the height of my "being a teenager sucks!" phase, being 15-16 years old at the time so his videos helped me give a good uplift.

Then, some months later he joins GameTrailers. His videos start to look more professional and polished, and tbh it's hard ot go back to his older episodes nowadays. They give you too much of a "Nerd living in his parents basement" vibe... which is ironic considering he used ot film on his own room/living room back in his old place while nowadays his gaming room is actually IN the basement. I'd honestly never have guessed, though.

Favourite episodes... oh man. From the top of my head: Dick Tracy, Die Hard, Silver Surfer, Action 52 + Cheetahmen, Dark Castle, Ghostbusters Trilogy, Top Gun,, Coleco and Intelivision, Sega CD, Batman two parter and Superman 64 are all hilarious. They're probably my most watched episodes of his. I think his "prime" was from around episode 44 to episode 91. Pretty much every episode of his was gold in this bracket.

As for his movie... I didn't expect a masterpiece but wasn't a big fan. I'm happy he finally got his big screen film but didn't care about the supporting cast(giving him some random guy as his cameraman, really?).

I'm yet to play "his" official game. I gotta do that someday.

Anyway, I can't believe I've been watching his stuff for over a decade now. Never would I've thought that he'd still be doing this stint in 2017. I find his videos very informative and I really admire his passion for games and such. He seems like a genuinely nice fellow and wish him nothing but success. Although I wonder how long he's gonna keep on doing this. He's set the bar too high(or too low...) now. He's already reviewed the likes of ET, Big Rigs, Plumbers Don't Wear Ties, etc. Unless he starts venturing into obscure PS1 and PS2 games there really isn't much left for him to do now as far as reviewing older crappy games goes. He's already reviewed most of the popular requests afaik.

So, what do you think about him? Like him? Dislike him?

Last edited by Prowler; 03-25-2019 at 12:41 PM.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 06:05 PM   #2
Powder
So tired of this place

I've been a fan since just about the very beginning. I support everything Cinemassacre does. Good dudes, good content. No shilling, no narcissism, no politics, just entertainment.

I pledged to the AVGN movie's funding campaign a while back & got a signed photo of The Nerd for doing so. It proudly hangs in my room alongside the one I got from Ernie Hudson in Ghostbusters garb, seemed fitting they go together. Didn't care much for the movie itself, to be honest. The special effects & general plot were great, but the supporting cast ruined it for me. Couldn't f**king stand his two sidekicks. Still amusing, though, & I'm glad I supported it.

Mike shouted me out in a few of his streams which really made my day each time it happened, he also once drew Krang in Mario Paint by my request.

The two AVGN Adventures games are MAAAAAD GOOD. Highly recommended. Frustratingly difficult at times, but in a fun way.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 06:11 PM   #3
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
I've been a fan since just about the very beginning. I support everything Cinemassacre does. Good dudes, good content. No shilling, no narcissism, no politics, just entertainment.

I pledged to the AVGN movie's funding campaign a while back & got a signed photo of The Nerd for doing so. It proudly hangs in my room alongside the one I got from Ernie Hudson in Ghostbusters garb, seemed fitting they go together.

Mike shouted me out in a few of his streams which really made my day each time it happened, he once drew Krang in Mario Paint during a stream by my request.

The two AVGN Adventures games are MAAAAAD GOOD. Highly recommended. Frustratingly difficult at time, but in a fun way.
Wait there's two official AVGN games? Are both available on the Nintendo eShop and/or in Steam? I know the first one is.

And yeah, I also like Cinemassacre's extra stuff and I've never felt dirty aobut giving their videos clicks. They seem like genuinely good guys. They're just like us, but managed to find a way to show the world their passion for games, comics, movies, etc. Plus, they listen to the fans, and give us what we want often. They don't give off a corporate vibe at all.

That's cool of Mike to do that for you. Tbh, I always found Mike to be someone I'd get annoyed with after a while. His humour in the James and Mike Mondays videos can be a bit cringeworthty and annoying at times. Oh well, his job is drawing episode cards and he certainly is more talented at it than I ever will be. I guess, as an artist, you've been inspired by his work before?
Old 03-05-2017, 06:25 PM   #4
Powder
So tired of this place

Yeah, a sequel came out last year & it's even better than the first. Both are on Steam, I know the first was in the 3DS e-shop, not sure about the second.

It's all dope. Some of James' material is really informative, the guy knows his stuff. & when he doesn't, he does thorough research. Very respectable. Whenever they do wanna push something, like a DVD collection or whatever, it's always a separate "commercial" video, & there's no begging or whatever, it's just a "Hey, this exists, here's where you can get it, thank you!" sorta thing.

I get that, Mike's kind of humor isn't for everyone. It's immature & full of innuendo, but it's organic for him, so I find it amusing. He just naturally goes there, it's not put on to try & sound funny, it's just his personality (for better or worse). I identify with him a bit. I don't have any particular thoughts about his art, he's decent though.

Old 03-05-2017, 06:30 PM   #5
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Yeah, a sequel came out last year & it's even better than the first. Both are on Steam, I know the first was in the 3DS e-shop, not sure about the second.

It's all dope. Some of James' material is really informative, the guy knows his stuff. & when he doesn't, he does thorough research. Very respectable. Whenever they do wanna push something, like a DVD collection or whatever, it's always a separate "commercial" video, & there's no begging or whatever, it's just a "Hey, this exists, here's where you can get it, thank you!" sorta thing.

I get that, Mike's kind of humor isn't for everyone. It's immature & full of innuendo, but it's organic for him, so I find it amusing. He just naturally goes there, it's not put on to try & sound funny, it's just his personality (for better or worse). I identify with him a bit. I don't have any particular thoughts about his art, he's decent though.
The video where I got the most annoyed at Mike was in the Pilotwings 64 video. You know the part where they play the cannonball mini-game and he starts mimicking the characters' screaming as they get fired? That part really grated my nerves
Old 03-05-2017, 06:31 PM   #6
CyberCubed
Overlord

He's much better than all the youtube wannabe's who came after him, like Angry Joe and all those other guys.

In a way he was sort of a pioneer for all the youtube videogame players. He had his videos on his own site before he put them to youtube, and then it paved the way for all these people who came after him.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 06:38 PM   #7
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
He's much better than all the youtube wannabe's who came after him, like Angry Joe and all those other guys.

In a way he was sort of a pioneer for all the youtube videogame players. He had his videos on his own site before he put them to youtube, and then it paved the way for all these people who came after him.
By "his videos" you mean his AVGN episodes? Because his firt one is form 2004, but naturally since youtube still wasn't around in 2004, he only uploaded it onto it a couple of years later. He never meant his video game reviews to become a series. His dream has always been directing actual movies. Horror ones, in particular, from what I gather. He then made Dr. Jekyll and Mister Hyde as a follow up to Simon's Quest and then made Karate Kid, which was originally meant to be his dead last video game review. Funny how things turn out, eh?

I remember lots of "angry gamers" popping out at the time such as Armake, Monoxide, Spoony and the Irate gamer(f*ck that guy). Although there was one guy who was a subversion of that trend, The Happy Video Game Nerd.

Armake was big for a while but I dunno if he still does this stuff. And I remember reading screwattack's forums back in 2006-2007 and him being a member there. He was upset of all the hate he was getting at the time, because, for a while, anyone who reviewed games was accused of ripping off the nerd, even though Armake did his Ghostbusters review BEFORE James did his. Yet many AVGN fanboys were bashing Armake accusing him of ripping James Rolfe off.

I remember Spoony's debut episode, which was the Adventure's of Bayou Billy... never thought he'd become as big as he is nowadays. I'm guessing Pat the NES Punk also showed up around that time. I find Pat a bit too awkward for my taste, though.

Anyway, doesn't Nostalgia Critic pre-date the Nerd?
Old 03-05-2017, 08:16 PM   #8
sdp
-

I'm pretty sure I found out about the Nerd here at the Drome after his TMNT review. I loved it and watched his previous videos. Back in the day youtube series' weren't really a thing so I thought it was a "we'll never see videos from him again", so I was suprised when he kept making more and got into other Screwattack shows like GameJew and hated all the youtube copycats which you still see plenty of influences of "angry" reaviewers of things not just video games.

I loved his show and when it moved to Gametrailers he indeed tried to make the show have more skits which people hated but I loved since by this point I was tired of the "angry gamer" and liked how he spiced it up with random stories in between. Sadly after a while he decided to go "back to basics" and from then on I kind of lost interest since they weren't as funny and there were no skits anymore, during this time he barely produced AVGN videos so I still watched them whenever they came out but that's about it. Only recently did I begin to enjoy his AVGN episodes again.

As for the movie, I was really looking forward to it and waited forever. Since I had always been a fan of his skits I thought an entire movie of it would be great but man did I hate it, I don't remember what I thought about the movie except I didn't like it but you can probably find my review of it here on the drome thread.

As far as his video games I played the first one and it's too f-cking difficult but that's the joke, the game is nothing special just a difficult Mega Man clone with AVGN/geeky and of course the overdone "8 bit" raphics. So it's a bit generic but the AVGN license makes it stand out over other "retro" indie games. I'll get the sequel eventually.

I enjoy a lot of the Cinemassacre content that James does like Monster Madness, and other movie reviews but not all. And I really dislike Mike, he comes off as trying too hard.

It's crazy that I've watched him for over ten years though and a shame he isn't bigger, I mean he literally started the whole "youtuber" scene before it ever began but because he left for a while he kind of lost that. I've wanted to re-watch all the AVGN episodes but there are so many I think I'll need to make a list of essential ones, but maybe I'll ask around since I don't really remember which ones were good.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 08:25 PM   #9
GoldMutant
Control Your Narrative

In terms of James Rolfe, the individual, he's one of the best guys on YouTube. As Powder put it, a guy who does a lot of research and has fun with what he does. After hearing about his daughter's condition last year, my respect for Rolfe increased with the charity event.

As for his content, I will admit the AVGN has lost some of its luster in terms of comedy, but man oh man, James' filmmaking skills are great. I especially love Board James much more than AVGN due to that one reason, it's impressive. To stay on point, my favorite episode of AVGN is the Super Mario Bros. 3 episode. The recent content is still rather solid, but I prefer the other work James does now; it is fun to marathon the older AVGN episodes though.

For his movie, I've only seen bits and clips due to the Nostalgia Critic and the ET review. I haven't seen the whole thing yet, but from what I've listened to, I love the soundtrack, especially that intro.

Same thing with the two AVGN games, only seen parts and listened to the music, but playing them I've yet to do.
Old 03-05-2017, 09:01 PM   #10
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
I'm pretty sure I found out about the Nerd here at the Drome after his TMNT review. I loved it and watched his previous videos. Back in the day youtube series' weren't really a thing so I thought it was a "we'll never see videos from him again", so I was suprised when he kept making more and got into other Screwattack shows like GameJew and hated all the youtube copycats which you still see plenty of influences of "angry" reaviewers of things not just video games.

I loved his show and when it moved to Gametrailers he indeed tried to make the show have more skits which people hated but I loved since by this point I was tired of the "angry gamer" and liked how he spiced it up with random stories in between. Sadly after a while he decided to go "back to basics" and from then on I kind of lost interest since they weren't as funny and there were no skits anymore, during this time he barely produced AVGN videos so I still watched them whenever they came out but that's about it. Only recently did I begin to enjoy his AVGN episodes again.

As for the movie, I was really looking forward to it and waited forever. Since I had always been a fan of his skits I thought an entire movie of it would be great but man did I hate it, I don't remember what I thought about the movie except I didn't like it but you can probably find my review of it here on the drome thread.

As far as his video games I played the first one and it's too f-cking difficult but that's the joke, the game is nothing special just a difficult Mega Man clone with AVGN/geeky and of course the overdone "8 bit" raphics. So it's a bit generic but the AVGN license makes it stand out over other "retro" indie games. I'll get the sequel eventually.

I enjoy a lot of the Cinemassacre content that James does like Monster Madness, and other movie reviews but not all. And I really dislike Mike, he comes off as trying too hard.

It's crazy that I've watched him for over ten years though and a shame he isn't bigger, I mean he literally started the whole "youtuber" scene before it ever began but because he left for a while he kind of lost that. I've wanted to re-watch all the AVGN episodes but there are so many I think I'll need to make a list of essential ones, but maybe I'll ask around since I don't really remember which ones were good.
I was a bit hesitant when he moved to GameTrailers at first, although a guaranteed new AVGN episode every two weeks was sweet. I think the time he spent at GT doing two episodes per month burnt him out a bit, though. Did you see his "Making of an AVGN episode" video? Crazy how many hours he plunges into one game review.

I didn't like his Atari 5200 and Ghostbusters episodes much at first. Perhaps because I was just getting used to his more polished and professional style. Also, one review I've never liked much of his was his Spider-Man review. I'm also not always a big fan of those more theatrical reviews of his where he fights Matt matei or Kyle Justin in costume/disguise. I guess they worked fine for those Halloween special episodes with James being a big horror movie fan, but I'm not a fan of horror movies overall. Sometimes I like it, other times not so much. I'm also not a huge fan of the Bugs Bunny episodes. I've always preferred his straight up video game review episodes.

My "least favourite" AVGN episodes, though? Either Master Chu and the Drunk Fu or wtv that game's title was(I blame sh*t pickle for it) or Independence Day. Independence Day was the most uninspired and forgettable review AVGN did, imo. But hey, a couple of "bad" episodes in over a hundred is not a bad track record at all.

Yes, I like how his episodes have variety. He's good in that aspect. But I did like how he went "back to basics" for a while. In that video f his where he tells you about the process of making an AVGN episode, he states that NES games episodes always turn out the best and I'd agree with him on that one. Maybe because that's how I got to know him and how he started out.

Yeah, AVGN didn't transition so well into movie format, imo. It was way over the top even for an AVGN product. I mean, up to then, we had already seen all sorts of whacky sh*t in his show, so surely this would mean the movie would take it to the next level? But no, not really.

I think he's back to releasing new eps whenever he feels like it? Is he gonna release more movies(unrelated to the AVGN character that is) in the future?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldMutant View Post
In terms of James Rolfe, the individual, he's one of the best guys on YouTube. As Powder put it, a guy who does a lot of research and has fun with what he does. After hearing about his daughter's condition last year, my respect for Rolfe increased with the charity event.

As for his content, I will admit the AVGN has lost some of its luster in terms of comedy, but man oh man, James' filmmaking skills are great. I especially love Board James much more than AVGN due to that one reason, it's impressive. To stay on point, my favorite episode of AVGN is the Super Mario Bros. 3 episode. The recent content is still rather solid, but I prefer the other work James does now; it is fun to marathon the older AVGN episodes though.

For his movie, I've only seen bits and clips due to the Nostalgia Critic and the ET review. I haven't seen the whole thing yet, but from what I've listened to, I love the soundtrack, especially that intro.

Same thing with the two AVGN games, only seen parts and listened to the music, but playing them I've yet to do.
Actually, Super Mario Bros. 3 was a quite disappointing episode. Again, I was reading the Screwattack forums often back in the day, and this episode was VERY hyped up. It was supposed to be the most epic or at least the most memorable and outrageous AVGN episode to that point... well I personally think he went waaaaaaaaaaaay too over the top with the game coming from hell and bringing cyborg Jesus 3000 or wtv that f*ck that was. Clearly he had too much Rolling Rock when he came up with the script.

His daughter's condition? Huh? What's wrong with her? First time I hear of this.
Old 03-05-2017, 09:20 PM   #11
Wildcat
Foot Elite

I've seen all the AVGN videos but not the movie yet. I'm a bit backed up on the James and Mike series.

I don't really plan on playing either of his video games since I don't like brutally difficult games but I wouldn't mind trying them out. I've only seen videos.
Old 03-05-2017, 09:30 PM   #12
Powder
So tired of this place

I don't think they're too brutal. I can't get through Megman or Castlevania titles on NES but I beat both AVGN Adventures games despite their difficulty. The smooth controls/physics & checkpoints (optional) make the challenge a lot more accessible. If you're actually interested, I'd suggest the 2nd over the first. More levels, less cheap deaths, flashier visuals, it's great. Any Technodromer would appreciate the many TMNT references throughout.

Old 03-05-2017, 09:40 PM   #13
shuriken
Second City Shinobi

AVGN has always been funny to me. Lots of creativity and a lot of useful info about the games along with a lot of over-reacting video game complaints. I really enjoyed his Rocky episode and the Batman ones too. Also the Big Riggs one and Hong Kong 97 made me laugh way too hard.
Old 03-05-2017, 09:45 PM   #14
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuriken View Post
AVGN has always been funny to me. Lots of creativity and a lot of useful info about the games along with a lot of over-reacting video game complaints. I really enjoyed his Rocky episode and the Batman ones too. Also the Big Riggs one and Hong Kong 97 made me laugh way too hard.
Yeah but whoever made Hong Kong 97 was one messed up individual. Jesus there's a picture of holocaust deadbodies and of one unknown deadbody in that game. Plus it seems to wish death upon chinese mainlanders. It was probably made by an ultra-nationalistic right-wing Japanese.
Old 03-05-2017, 09:57 PM   #15
sdp
-

IIRC his daughter had a problem and thanks to a charity she recovered, this was during the filming of the AVGN movie, after that he auctioned off a bunch of AVGN memorabilia and donated everything to the charity that helped his daughter.

He mentioned he wanted to do more full length movies and not an AVGN one and he'd continue releasing AVGN shows but whenever it was possible, so no real schedule which is fine by me.

And see that's where my opinion differs from most of the fanbase, I loved the insane SMB3 review and all the over the top episodes like Bugs Bunny and others. James did as well, he's not really a gamer but a filmmaker and that's his passion so he tried to do things he liked with the AVGN but because the majority of the fans didn't he went "back to basics" which is actually easier for him to do as the other skits required a lot of work. A shame really, I just find reviews of just games a bit boring as he's done it for over 100 episodes, the laughs are not the same as the firsts time he said "f-ck this game" and countelss copy cats, but to each his own.

The movie wasn't that wacky though, so even though I'm a fan it was just a bit generic and boring since it wasn't paced very well. I thought I'd love it since I missed his long skits he used to do in episodes but I didn't. It's worth a watch if you like AVGN though and I think most dromers here enjoyed it, as usual I was the one with the odd opinion.

edit: oh I remember when the Wii U version of the AVGN game came out and everyone was getting banned for posting screenshots of the game on miiverse in the games community, it was hilarious. Eventually the AVGN Adventures community did not allow screenshots being posted as most of the game included things not allowed by their terms of service.

Last edited by sdp; 03-05-2017 at 10:40 PM.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 09:59 PM   #16
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Quote:
I don't think they're too brutal. I can't get through Megman or Castlevania titles on NES but I beat both AVGN Adventures games despite their difficulty. The smooth controls/physics & checkpoints (optional) make the challenge a lot more accessible. If you're actually interested, I'd suggest the 2nd over the first. More levels, less cheap deaths, flashier visuals, it's great. Any Technodromer would appreciate the many TMNT references throughout.
Oh. Well I would like try them just fun. I know the difficulty is part the joke about how hard some things are in older games.
Old 03-06-2017, 01:37 AM   #17
Icebot
Foot Elite

I found the AVGN while searching for TMNT stuff on YouTube and I saw his TMNT NES review and I ended up loving it. Then I watched his other game reviews and ended up becoming a fan.
Icebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 05:01 AM   #18
snake
Disgusting

I started watching back in 2010 and I've been a huge fan of Cinemassacre ever since. Honestly one of the best guys on the internet.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 05:17 AM   #19
Shark_Blade
Emperor

I suppose he is one of the pioneers of youtube game reviews and gameplays. He's still entertaining - but since he plays older games (that is his forte), I much rather other youtubers that mostly play modern games like DashieXP, KatiePlayStuff, JackSepticEye and Pewdiepie.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 06:33 PM   #20
ssjup81
Foot Elite

I like James Rolfe. He seems so humble and hated all the hate he got regarding his stance on the newer Ghostbuster film and why he didn’t have an interest in seeing it and that he wasn’t going to review it, despite many people requesting it. I also didn’t know his daughter had been sick. What was her ailment?

So yeah, I like his Nerd videos and was watching his videos when he was still the Angry Nintendo Nerd. Not sure what my first video was, but I did find him entertaining. My fav Nerd eps tend to focus around eps on actual gaming systems, like the Sega CD/32X and the Atari Jaguar are a couple of examples. I also like how he gives information on what he may review, so yeah.

I watch his other stuff too, occasionally. One thing he used to have on his site years ago, was this type of history of Batman thing…onscreen stuff, which included information about the 1940s serials. Wish it was still there. It was very well-informed, imo.

Let’s see, the only negative about his nerd persona is the gross-out humor, which I’ve never been particularly a fan of in general. Even as a kid, I couldn’t tolerate stuff like Ren & Stimpy after a certain point because it was too gross for me. One review, that I know of, that I have never been able to get through, is his Toxic Avenger one. It was too crude for my tastes I guess.

Oh, one review that comes to mind that I do find pretty hilarious, mainly because the game actually exists, is the Hong Kong 97 review. IMO, that wasn’t the AVGN, that was just James being James. lol
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sumac vs leo656