The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 05-15-2021, 10:36 PM   #1
Prowler
Emperor

Is the "hatred" for baby boomers actually justified?

As some of you might have noticed, it has become popular for younger people online to make fun of baby boomers and blame them for all the world's current problems.

I don't get it though. Especially when it comes to socio-economic issues and discrimination. Weren't the baby boomers themselves the young people of the time things like he civil rights movements in USA and the sexual revolution happened? So in comparison, what have the current young generations have done to change to the world and fight injustices besides complaining on social media?

It's ironic because older generations always complained about the younger generations... and younger gens are now doing the same thing just as much if not even more.

Anyway, I don't dislike someone because they're from a different generation. That's stupid people are people. I'm 30 years old. Does this mean I identify with everything my generation is supposed to like or be into? Of course not.

Thoughts?
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 10:54 PM   #2
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I am not one, but I think the hatred by the baby boomers for these people IS justified. At least a whole hell of a lot more.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 10:54 PM   #3
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I am not one, but I think the hatred by the baby boomers for these people IS justified. At least a whole hell of a lot more.
Oh definitely.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 04:31 AM   #4
newfan
Mad Scientist

I just feel all the Boomer and Millennial crap has gotten old. I'm going to guess that a lot of the time it's younger Millennials or older GenZ arguing with older Millennials or a younger GenX. Just the chosen labels though. Either way, calling someone a generation name doesn't really offer much of a counter opinion.

Last edited by newfan; 05-16-2021 at 04:43 AM.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 04:48 AM   #5
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Their kids are gonna give them all matters of grief and I'll be mowing my lawn laughing my ass off.
ZariusTwo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 07:11 AM   #6
Sumac
Banned

Nope.
Dumb "millennials" just found another scapegoat to blame for their own failures.
It is not different from claiming that "all men are rapists" or that "all white people are evil".

Its just another dumb mindless blanket statement, which must point to the "common enemy" for the "true believers". A boogieman under your bed.

Which is kind of interesting, since creating fictitious enemies and using them to create "a sieged bastion of truth and purity" mindset in the heads of your followers is a very typical authoritarian Fascist tactic.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 11:48 AM   #7
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Maybe in some ways, but there's also a lot of exaggeration that doesn't fit a lot of individual Boomers.

These kids complaining about them now though, when they weren't even the ones who had the Boomers as parents. lol Who are they hating on, their grandparents? A great grandparent in some cases? Come on now.

Mostly Boomers have just annoyed me over the years because they think success and whatnot should be as easily obtained as it was in their day. Wars aside... at home they had it decent as a generation (albeit not every individual) and take it for granted, then are critical of other generations after them for not succeeding as easily while refusing to accept that the world has changed and it's a more expensive, more competitive, more demanding place with higher requirements than in their younger days.

My dad never had to have a college degree or any college education when he was hired by the company he always worked for. His brief years in the Air Force were enough. Though a young woman that was hired there and he'd befriended in his last couple of years on the job...if I recall I'm pretty sure she supposedly had a Masters degree and that company certainly looks for educational qualifications now like any other.

Things like that and how Boomers always tend to think their generation was particularly special... much like some of their Millennial grand kids who seem to have also inherited a view that it's also all about them, but from the perspective of seeming to believe they are the only ones who suffer. Meanwhile Gen X left sitting in the middle isn't impressed by this show put on by both their elder or offspring generations...

But those are really my only complaints. They are hardly to blame for every bad thing in the world. Mostly now they're just unfortunately a tax on an already burdened system that has to support them as they, well, age out of life...
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 11:52 AM   #8
Leo656
The Franchise

Hating on older people is like hating on rich people. Illogical.

Because if you play your cards right in life, you become both (or at least one) of those things. Throwing shade at either group of people is just sour grapes.

Hating younger people is fine, though, as it's a proven scientific fact that they don't know sh*t about sh*t and yet act like they know everything.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 11:52 AM   #9
IMJ
Emperor

Not at all. It's simple-minded and nothing more than a way for a generation of complainers to direct vitriol with no understanding of temporal-continuity across culture.

And these people who pull this nonsense will have their day of reckoning and epiphany about who they are when they get older themselves, but the difference between them, and the boomers is that they lack the ability to look back and outwardly state how wrong they were and that they were sorry.

Hating "boomers" is an earmark of disrespect from a generation of loud-mouths who aren't doing anything with their own lives other than complain that now that they are adults they aren't automatically getting the trophy. And some of you here are that generation, so I absolutely don't expect you to cop to it let alone understand.

"Hating boomers" is simply the new hate. The people that build pyres on this are no different than the people they are claiming were overly racist and awful in their time. Except this generation is worse because they are making blanket statements out of it. The "hate" towards a group, boomers or otherwise is the same perceptual @$$hole-ism that the Boomers are accused of.

As for the environment? "Boomers polluted the Earth, bla bla bla". That's called necessary progress so that you can have your non-polluting handheld device now you spoiled lil f#$%. They did their part over their parents generation, now STFU and do yours. You little bitches.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 01:40 PM   #10
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
Not at all. It's simple-minded and nothing more than a way for a generation of complainers to direct vitriol with no understanding of temporal-continuity across culture.

And these people who pull this nonsense will have their day of reckoning and epiphany about who they are when they get older themselves, but the difference between them, and the boomers is that they lack the ability to look back and outwardly state how wrong they were and that they were sorry.

Hating "boomers" is an earmark of disrespect from a generation of loud-mouths who aren't doing anything with their own lives other than complain that now that they are adults they aren't automatically getting the trophy. And some of you here are that generation, so I absolutely don't expect you to cop to it let alone understand.

"Hating boomers" is simply the new hate. The people that build pyres on this are no different than the people they are claiming were overly racist and awful in their time. Except this generation is worse because they are making blanket statements out of it. The "hate" towards a group, boomers or otherwise is the same perceptual @$$hole-ism that the Boomers are accused of.

As for the environment? "Boomers polluted the Earth, bla bla bla". That's called necessary progress so that you can have your non-polluting handheld device now you spoiled lil f#$%. They did their part over their parents generation, now STFU and do yours. You little bitches.
Its usually stuff that the next generation finds antiquated with the previous generation.
Old 05-16-2021, 01:47 PM   #11
CyberCubed
Overlord

I already have problems with 40 year olds, so naturally 60+ year olds are my mortal enemy in life.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 01:49 PM   #12
Leo656
The Franchise

I'm sure they're not thrilled with you either, champ.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 03:22 PM   #13
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
Its usually stuff that the next generation finds antiquated with the previous generation.
Exactly. And that doesn't usually result in hate, such as we are seeing now. See, it's not that I don't understand the criticisms involved towards Boomers, my friend. It's that apparently you don't understand the thresholds of behavior involved.

Millenials, Gen Y - throwing tantrums like children who tell their parents they hate them when they can't have a cookie or don't get their reward.

Why would you sugar coat the reality of this by giving a justification-explanation for these generations when their behavior is "hate" rather than "recognition, respect and solve?" like well-adjusted people?
Old 05-16-2021, 03:26 PM   #14
sdp
Megan Fox = April

The term boomer is for anyone 40 years old or older, hell for zoomers anyone 30+ is a boomer.

No one actually cares about "real" baby boomers anymore, they're either dead or will be in just a few years. No one says it unironically, it's just fun to trigger old people.

Last edited by sdp; 05-16-2021 at 03:32 PM.
sdp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 03:59 PM   #15
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
Exactly. And that doesn't usually result in hate, such as we are seeing now. See, it's not that I don't understand the criticisms involved towards Boomers, my friend. It's that apparently you don't understand the thresholds of behavior involved.

Millenials, Gen Y - throwing tantrums like children who tell their parents they hate them when they can't have a cookie or don't get their reward.

Why would you sugar coat the reality of this by giving a justification-explanation for these generations when their behavior is "hate" rather than "recognition, respect and solve?" like well-adjusted people?
Next Generation see the stuff that the previous generation liked, and they crap on it for being outdated, and they rather like the new stuff.

We deal with these kinds of things all the time in regards to our favorite franchises, Especially TMNT.
Old 05-16-2021, 05:08 PM   #16
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
Next Generation see the stuff that the previous generation liked, and they crap on it for being outdated, and they rather like the new stuff.

We deal with these kinds of things all the time in regards to our favorite franchises, Especially TMNT.
You are repeating yourself. What you are saying is true at large, but is not descriptive of the entire story and behavior of younger generations who are flinging hate towards "boomers". You are gaslighting your responses. It's nonsense, bro.

Simply saying that next gens crap on outdate stuff in favor of new stuff is not what is happening with this younger generation when compared to hate for boomers. You are oversimplifying and gaslighting and it's nonsense. The way you describe it is as a natural progression, but you are omitting the hate and overzealous disrespect.
Old 05-17-2021, 03:19 AM   #17
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Every generation has something that it can be blamed for that's caused some issue based on decisions made during it. I know on this board, we have a lot of Gen X, Xenial (I think that's what it's called for those not quite Gen X, but not really Millenial either), and Millenials. I'm sure we can find something in all of these generations that's screwing up the current one. I don't get why kids are so disrespectful now and entitled, but that's an old argument because I heard that from adults about those of my generation and they heard it from their parents, etc. It's just going to be a never ending cycle...but I do feel that some parents of the current generation coming up (whatever they're called) are too lenient and act more like their kids' friend as opposed to a parent and you even see it in the television shows, normalizing it. Kids really do seem more entitled now and their parents encourage it. I get so frustrated when it comes to parents sometimes who tell stories of how the children are at home and then may get upset if when they bring their kids in, the world doesn't revolve around their child. I sometimes feel I'm too old-school for this type of work. ><

I don't get that Boomer hate thing...I do live under a rock when it comes to junk like this. I just thought people called people Boomer if they just had an old-fashioned way of thinking or an old-fashioned approach towards things that's outdated by today's standards.

Last edited by ssjup81; 05-17-2021 at 03:28 AM.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 03:27 AM   #18
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjup81 View Post
Every generation has something that it can be blamed for that's caused some issue based on decisions made during it. I know on this board, we have a lot of Gen X, Xenial (I think that's what it's called for those not quite Gen X, but not really Millenial either), and Millenials. I'm sure we can find something in all of these generations that's screwing up the current one. I don't get why kids are so disrespectful now and entitled, but that's an old argument because I heard that from adults about those of my generation and they heard it from their parents, etc. It's just going to be a never ending cycle...but I do feel that some parents of the current generation coming up (whatever they're called) are too lenient and act more like their kids' friend as opposed to a parent and you even see it in the television shows, normalizing it.

I don't get that Boomer hate thing...I do live under a rock when it comes to junk like this. I just thought people called people Boomer if they just had an old-fashioned way of thinking or an old-fashioned approach towards things that's outdated by today's standards.
Yeah Xennial is I think those born in the last three years of the 70s and first 2 or 3 of the 80s? Round about that anyway. Those who were still young when we started to get tech like Mobile phones and had the internet was also what I read.

Agreed also, things have been and will be ever changing, it will carry on when the current young are older. I think there's a mix, like some aimed at actual boomers and older due to the environment/market etc (I say older as I noticed someone posted a list to William Shatner who is always betting called a Boomer, I think he is even the gen above it). Then some of it is people doing as you described, don't like what you are saying and so... here's comes your label to shut you up.

Last edited by newfan; 05-17-2021 at 03:42 AM.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 07:49 AM   #19
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post

The term boomer is for anyone 40 years old or older, hell for zoomers anyone 30+ is a boomer.

No one actually cares about "real" baby boomers anymore, they're either dead or will be in just a few years. No one says it unironically, it's just fun to trigger old people.
I see people post about this girl on twitter all the time and I don't get it. She's cute, sure, but I don't understand the obsession with her.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 09:08 AM   #20
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I see people post about this girl on twitter all the time and I don't get it. She's cute, sure, but I don't understand the obsession with her.
o.k. boomer
sdp is online now   Reply With Quote