The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2021, 04:50 PM   #21
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 21,504
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
Metroid II: Return of Samus
What about the remake of Metroid II? Wasn't that a thing?

The Primes really were before Metroid II?
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 05:12 PM   #22
neatoman
Emperor
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 7,578
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
The games themselves aren't groundbreaking in any way, They all play the same, You just have better graphics.
Not groundbreaking? I don't understand what you're talking about.

The gameplay of the Metroid series is the foundation of the entire Metroidvania genre. Countless games, a small sample of which I listed in this thread, have used them as a basis and built upon them. Castvania, a series as old as Metroid itself, was restructured to emulate Super Metroid's gameplay. Even within the Metroid series itself, Super Metroid is a giant leap ahead of the first two clunky Metroid games. And maybe you could argue that Fusion and Zero Mission didn't change much from Super Metroid, but Samus Returns clearly revised the gameplay in an attempt to improve it. Metroid Prime being a first person shooter is obviously a big change but not only that, gameplay and controls are drastically different from from other FPS games, especially FPS on console. One might even argue Metroid Prime helped legitimise the FPS on console. Then the other Prime games did add new machanics to the gameplay. And Other M, as controversial as it may be, didn't play it safe by copying either the 2D games or the Prime games.

"Not groundbreaking" and "only better graphics" my ass! You sound like you're talking about chess simulators.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTH View Post
Turtles is basically the red-headed stepchild of Nick.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 06:20 PM   #23
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger
 
TigerClaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Hialeah, Florida, USA
Posts: 12,760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
What about the remake of Metroid II? Wasn't that a thing?

The Primes really were before Metroid II?
I should have added the remake, But its the same game anyways.
Also the Prime games took place after Metroid.
__________________
TigerClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 06:21 PM   #24
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger
 
TigerClaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Hialeah, Florida, USA
Posts: 12,760
Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Not groundbreaking? I don't understand what you're talking about.

The gameplay of the Metroid series is the foundation of the entire Metroidvania genre. Countless games, a small sample of which I listed in this thread, have used them as a basis and built upon them. Castvania, a series as old as Metroid itself, was restructured to emulate Super Metroid's gameplay. Even within the Metroid series itself, Super Metroid is a giant leap ahead of the first two clunky Metroid games. And maybe you could argue that Fusion and Zero Mission didn't change much from Super Metroid, but Samus Returns clearly revised the gameplay in an attempt to improve it. Metroid Prime being a first person shooter is obviously a big change but not only that, gameplay and controls are drastically different from from other FPS games, especially FPS on console. One might even argue Metroid Prime helped legitimise the FPS on console. Then the other Prime games did add new machanics to the gameplay. And Other M, as controversial as it may be, didn't play it safe by copying either the 2D games or the Prime games.

"Not groundbreaking" and "only better graphics" my ass! You sound like you're talking about chess simulators.
Not groundbreaking in the sense that its been the same style of game since day one. You could argue that Metroid Prime was groundbreaking by taking that metrovania style to the 3D realm. I have Metroid Prime on the Gamecube, I tried to play it, But wasn't quite feeling it because the first person side of it was too much for me, The best experience I had with a Metroid game was Metroid Other M, I liked that it was 3rd person mostly, and I wish they made more Metroid games from a 3rd person, I'm not a fan of the first person stuff.
__________________
TigerClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 06:25 PM   #25
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 37,792
Most games in the same franchise are iterations of the same genre, that's why they're the same game franchise. Prime 1 is excellent.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 06:28 PM   #26
neatoman
Emperor
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 7,578
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
Not groundbreaking in the sense that its been the same style of game since day one. You could argue that Metroid Prime was groundbreaking by taking that metrovania style to the 3D realm. I have Metroid Prime on the Gamecube, I tried to play it, But wasn't quite feeling it because the first person side of it was too much for me, The best experience I had with a Metroid game was Metroid Other M, I liked that it was 3rd person mostly, and I wish they made more Metroid games from a 3rd person, I'm not a fan of the first person stuff.
That is quite an unusual opinion, given the praise and popularity Metroid Prime enjoys, while Other M might be the single most despised entry in the franchise.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTH View Post
Turtles is basically the red-headed stepchild of Nick.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 06:43 PM   #27
sdp
Neon Night Rider
 
sdp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Tokio, Italy
Posts: 9,155
Other M isn't really that bad, not sure why people hate it. It's not an amazing game perhaps but it isn't bad, it's a good game. I think people just hate the story and samus speaking but not being a badass so they blame it on the game.

I loved the first Prime game, never beat the second one since I got filtered halfway through the game. I got bored and never finished the third game. I really liked the arena multiplayer DS game and even Prime pinball. Federation Force is also good, people only hate it because it doesn't star samus. I never played the Metroid 2 remake, but I'm guessing it's good? The GB Metroid 2 is pretty fun inspite of the limitations, I always thought it was a shame they wasted the story of "going to the metroid planet" on the GB since it's a simpler system but the remake should've fixed that.

Samus should've kept the green hair, she's an alien, I hate that she is blonde.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 06:43 PM   #28
Leo656
The Franchise
 
Leo656's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: nWo Country
Posts: 23,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
That is quite an unusual opinion, given the praise and popularity Metroid Prime enjoys, while Other M might be the single most despised entry in the franchise.
Find "Consensus", and on the polar opposite side of the room, you will always find TigerClaw.

Seriously, though, I bet I'll like Other M more than most people when I finally do play it. Might not love it, but in general whenever people rage against a thing I end up being a lot less harsh about it, so that's what I expect to happen in that case as well. Especially since I have neither any romantic nor nostalgic love for the franchise as a whole, so the things people always rage about probably won't affect me much, or at least not to the same degree.
__________________

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 06:46 PM   #29
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 37,792
If you're new to the franchise play the games in release order. Metroid 1, Metroid 2, then Super Metroid on SNES, then Metroid Prime on Gamecube and Metroid Fusion on GBA (both came out in 2002 at the same time), and so on and so forth.

It's a great way to see how the series evolved over 30 years.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 06:48 PM   #30
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 21,504
I used to have Prime 1. Got fairly far but got stuck at a certain point. Something about a big chamber with lava around... and metal corridors leading to a center section while stuff is firing at you from all around. Couldn't figure out what to do for days so just gave up.

While literally ZERO Metroid games are available on Switch's store, I do see the key ones that I wouldn't want to emulate (the Prime trilogy, Other M) are all on the Wii U store so I should be set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
I should have added the remake, But its the same game anyways.
Zero Mission is the same as Metroid 1, isn't it?
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 06:49 PM   #31
neatoman
Emperor
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 7,578
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post

Samus should've kept the green hair, she's an alien, I hate that she is blonde.
I thought she was human from an Earth colony. First time I hear of her being an alien, aliens in the series tend to look far less human.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTH View Post
Turtles is basically the red-headed stepchild of Nick.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 06:55 PM   #32
Leo656
The Franchise
 
Leo656's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: nWo Country
Posts: 23,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
If you're new to the franchise play the games in release order. Metroid 1, Metroid 2, then Super Metroid on SNES, then Metroid Prime on Gamecube and Metroid Fusion on GBA (both came out in 2002 at the same time), and so on and so forth.

It's a great way to see how the series evolved over 30 years.
More or less the plan. As I've mentioned elsewhere, I own 'em all I've just only played the original, so far.

The ones I've always been most intimidated to try were the Prime games, since first-person view games seriously used to mess with my eyes and occasionally I'd even get a little sick. But for whatever reason that hasn't been the case most of the time ever since I played "Bioshock Infinite" a few years ago. So I feel a lot more confident about giving those a try, nowadays.
__________________

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 07:10 PM   #33
sdp
Neon Night Rider
 
sdp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Tokio, Italy
Posts: 9,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
I thought she was human from an Earth colony. First time I hear of her being an alien, aliens in the series tend to look far less human.
Well I know she's blonde/brunette in the ending but I never beat it as a kid but I did use the Justin Bailey password where you play as samus without a suit so to me having green hair and a purple suit was who Samus was until the Metroid Prime games.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Zero Mission is the same as Metroid 1, isn't it?
Yes zero mission is Metroid 1 along with bonus mission. it includes a map and overall brings it up to modern standards so people say it's the way to play the original game.
The original game filters pretty much everyone, there's no map, no way to save and all zones look very similar.
Metroid and Super Metroid are on the switch online NES/SNES app for free if you pay for online. Prime Trilogy was rumored to come out on Switch but apparently that was false or at least it won't happen for a while. Other M will likely not see rerelease unless it's a VC type service since everyone hates it besides TigerClaw
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 08:01 PM   #34
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 21,504
What is the "bonus mission"?
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 08:07 PM   #35
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger
 
TigerClaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Hialeah, Florida, USA
Posts: 12,760
Metroid Prime didn't do it for me because of its first person view. I'm used to Metroid being a 2D platformer, Prime tried to do platforming in 3D, But it just feels more like a first person shooter then a platformer. The 3rd person stuff only happens when your a ball. I liked Other M because it was mostly 3rd person, It only went forst person when you were shooting the missiles.
__________________
TigerClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 08:11 PM   #36
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 21,504
I owned Other M eons ago as well... I seem to remember liking it. No idea why I stopped playing it.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 08:26 PM   #37
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 37,792
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
Metroid Prime didn't do it for me because of its first person view. I'm used to Metroid being a 2D platformer, Prime tried to do platforming in 3D, But it just feels more like a first person shooter then a platformer. .
The Prime games aren't shooters at all (despite having shooting), they're basically puzzle/exploration games in 3D. When Metroid Prime first came out back in 2002 everyone tried comparing it to Halo for some reason, and then when people played Metroid Prime they realized it wasn't anything like a FPS at all.

I remember spending decades on IGN boards back in the early 2000's arguing on the Gamecube boards about this.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 09:21 PM   #38
Turo602
The King of Kings
 
Turo602's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Chicago Illinois
Posts: 2,554
Yeah, Metroid Prime is a first-person adventure game. Yes, you shoot, but you do that in the original games as well and those were never considered shooters. But I never did take the same liking to the Prime games as most have either because third-person really does suit Metroid a whole lot more than first-person. Exploration, platforming, and all her cool abilities pretty much demand a third-person view. Metroid was just unfortunately stuck with first-person because Miyamoto had some fetish for a first-person view at the time after he failed to do it in Ocarina of Time.

I seriously recommend playing the remakes though. No one should ever go back to Metroid 1 and 2 after Zero Mission and Samus Returns. Super Metroid was a much needed improvement/revamp of the original game's groundbreaking concept and just absolutely made those games obsolete.
__________________
Turo602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 10:00 PM   #39
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 37,792
Metroid Prime is a masterpiece. Prime 2 has some pacing problems with the dark world concept, as it's pretty taxing to get through the dark world portions. Prime 3 was the most "action oriented" and definitely felt closer to a shooter than the first two, but it does open up to the usual exploration after.

The Metroid Prime trilogy is still up on the Wii-U e-shop for $20, so for those of you who still have Wii-U's you can buy it digitally there.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 11:51 PM   #40
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 21,504
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
The Metroid Prime trilogy is still up on the Wii-U e-shop for $20, so for those of you who still have Wii-U's you can buy it digitally there.
Yeah, that's what I'll do. The Prime games are really the only ones that don't make much sense to emulate, due to the controls.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.