The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 06-29-2005, 12:34 PM   #141
Sewer Bull
Devil's Advocate

One tiny question...

Is it typical for MSN that this damn programme launches itself once in a blue moon? Or should I disable any firewalls, antyvirs and spyware detectors to let MSN work independently? Has anyone similar problems with just starting up this... thing? Because it launches only when I have Spybot running and this is very strange for me...

Soooo... THIS is how you spend your free time now?!
Sewer Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 12:50 PM   #142
Super Moderator

MSN has some association with Outlook/Outlook Express. I think the same goes for AIM. Why it launches when a spyware program comes up is beyond me, though. Do you want to get rid of it or something?
愛 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 12:57 PM   #143
Sewer Bull
Devil's Advocate

No, I just want to have it working everytime I want (not everytime MSN wants), because "spyware programme trick" is not 100% effective.
You say it's associated with OE... Since I have a Gmail account, I hardly use Outlook. I'll try to make a profile for my Hotmail account here and see if it works.

Old 06-29-2005, 12:59 PM   #144
Super Moderator

You could always download the actual MSN program and have it on all the time. That way you won't have to worry about it. I always have it on so when my asshole buddy Peanut comes on, I can chat with him.
Old 06-30-2005, 10:30 AM   #145
Sewer Bull
Devil's Advocate

Got MSN 7.0. Unfortunately, I prefer shutting my machine for night, because I can't sleep while she's working. Therefore, internet connection is also shut down
But hey, I've got a new clue - since I have MSN 7.0, Windows Messenger is of no real use for me. But I can't uninstall it 'cos Windows prevents me from doing such an 'irrational stupidity'. And I pressume that my problems with launching MSN may come from the fact I've got both Microsoft instant messengers running. How to get rid of damn Windows Messenger... TOTALLY?

Old 06-30-2005, 10:35 AM   #146
Super Moderator

As far as I know, you can't. It's embedded into the Windows coding. I just download MSN myself and it overwrites Windows Messenger. If you have XP, it should do the same.
Old 07-01-2005, 10:43 PM   #147
GK Punk
I'm your Devil

Ok having Internet problems. My girlfriend's computer is connected to a Linksys router, but her PC is only letting FireFox and IE acsess the internet, all other programs say that there is no internet connection. any one deal with this before?
GK Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 12:28 AM   #148
Super Moderator

Never come across that before. Sounds like bullsh*t on the computer's part to me. Could you give me some examples? Like, AIM, mIRC, etc?
Old 07-02-2005, 12:43 AM   #149
ThirdMarioBro
Tea Time!

Mine did that when I got the cable hooked up, but it just stopped for no reason whatsoever and worked fine. I don't get it.
Old 07-02-2005, 01:23 AM   #150
GK Punk
I'm your Devil

Basically, anything. I've tried Limewire, a bittorrent program, YM, auto updates to software, and installation packages that require internet connections...
Old 07-02-2005, 02:54 AM   #151
Super Moderator

Did your girlfriend recently switch to a Linksys router? Because with TMB's problem, he forgot to switch from wired to wireless. If you go to Network settings in the Control Panel, you should check if your default connection is indeed the current setup. That's about the only thing I can think of.
Old 07-02-2005, 11:50 AM   #152
ThirdMarioBro
Tea Time!

Oh yeah, that happened before as well. I was talking about after you had helped me fix it, it started acting strange again, but then stopped on it's own. It was wierd.
Old 07-03-2005, 01:56 AM   #153
GK Punk
I'm your Devil

Yeah, it's a Linksys router... Her's is connected via a cable directly to the router. (The laptop, which works fine is connected via wireless)
Old 07-03-2005, 02:00 AM   #154
That Matt Guy
Honey Bunches

Dude I had the same problem. I could only use Firefox to get online, nothing else worked properly. If you do some google searching with things like "linksys router internet explorer" and such you'll find a way to fix it. I had a site that told how to fix it, but lost it awhile back and I've been drinking so I don't remember how to do it. The answer is out there.
That Matt Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 03:46 AM   #155
GK Punk
I'm your Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew138
Dude I had the same problem. I could only use Firefox to get online, nothing else worked properly. If you do some google searching with things like "linksys router internet explorer" and such you'll find a way to fix it. I had a site that told how to fix it, but lost it awhile back and I've been drinking so I don't remember how to do it. The answer is out there.
Sweet, I'll do more searches for it. I was actually having trouble coming up with good search terms, so that actually helps quite a bit.
Old 07-03-2005, 04:11 AM   #156
Krang
Admin and Sega Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire666xXxXx
I have these two set-up's on my computer which I cant delete. It gives me the same error for both.
Try booting into safe mode and deleting the files from there. To boot into safe mode, reset your computer, then repeatedly press F8 as it's starting up until you see a menu that allows you to select it.

"My motherboard's microchips are chomping at the... 'bit'. A little computer humor." --Krang, Welcome Back, Polarisoids
Krang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 02:30 PM   #157
Spitfire
Writer • Director

Oh next time I'll try that, I got them off now.

But I have a new problem. I use Firefox and everytime I press the ' key the find bar pops up. And well I use the ' key alot for words like can't. I really don't like putting the ' there though because everytime I do the find bar pops up and then I have to stop typeing and click the window I was typeing in so I can resume typeing. So if you notice some weird contractions from me that's why.

Know any way I can turn this off? Or change the key used? It's really annoying >_<
Old 07-10-2005, 10:25 PM   #158
Tetsu Deinonychus
The Iron Dinosaur

I have several recurring problems with my computer. These problems force me of the net for periods of time that tend to last months, then my Dad and I format the harddrive and reinstall all our software then a bit later, he gets around to reinstalling our net-access and the cycle begins again. For the first few months we get constant notice that we have a virus in a program called "studio.exe" and the same virus (IRC Trojan Horse Downloader something,something) in a few others. Eventually, we stop getting this notice.

Then for a couple months it runs fine, but then it starts to not load the page after I've viewed 2-3 pages it just gives me the "site not found" page. Then I have to restart the computer to view anything else on the net, only to have it happen again. Eventually, it even stops letting me view those 2-3 pages and goes right to "site not found" every time. It stays that way until we reformat the drive, reinstall all our software, and complete the cycle of crap.

A description of my system

-Dell, optiplex GXa
-Pentium II processor
-Windows 2000 Professional (we used to have 98 se, but we upgraded thinking that would help.)
-Microsoft Internet Explorer (6 I think)
-AVG Virus free edition
-Ad Aware
-Spybot S&D
-Pop-up stopper: free edition.

Let me know what other info might be important.

I'm currently in the "only letting me view 2-3 pages" stage. Please help me break the cycle.
Tetsu Deinonychus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 10:32 PM   #159
Super Moderator

Spitfire:

This seems to be a classic case of the REINSTALL. If there's anything in your configuration that you don't like, reinstalling it will help bring it back to the default configuration. Make sure you delete the Firefox folder, though, before you being the reinstallation process. I don't know how the hell you managed to make your ' key that bind, but damn. Odd, indeed. Seems to be a lot of Firefox problems lately. Not for me, though.

Tetsu blah blah blah:

STOP USING INTERNET EXPLORER 6 RIGHT NOW! STOP! NO YOU SHUT UP AND STOP USING IT! Get Firefox. Right now. Stop what you're doing and get it. www.mozilla.org. Go go go. And get a new computer. Pentium II? Come on. Well, the last part is a suggestion, but anyway. IE6 has been known to have many security holes in it, so it's very unstable. You should get Windows XP, as well. I've been told 2000 runs better, but I have yet to see such proof for myself.
Old 07-10-2005, 10:35 PM   #160
Tetsu Deinonychus
The Iron Dinosaur

I'd like to remind you of my lack of money, but if Firefox is free I'll check it out. Thanks.

edit: Installed it. seems to run fine. Thanks.

Last edited by Tetsu Deinonychus; 07-10-2005 at 11:21 PM.
Tetsu Deinonychus is offline   Reply With Quote