The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 07-16-2022, 12:34 AM   #41
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

(drops out of the sky like Mister Bean)

I wait six years to see Krang and Ch'rell to have a conversation and they're having a flashback spat lol.

In all honesty, Krang's reaction to Ch'rell being upset about the withdraw was tame compared to previous occasions of people resisting/challenging his commands.
"A rift", Saki??? That was more of a "WOW, Ch'rell really got away with speaking to him like that?!"

Plus he probably had to drop it eventually. There were bigger fish to fry coming up fast, unless this was the first of several disputes, despite everyone's belief that Ch'rell would still have been outraged by Krang's imprisonment/assumed death; even his own sister, who would probably have noticed a shift in their dynamic. All the information we've been given about their dynamic is Ch'rell's terrifying loyalty (literally calling him a "favorite lapdog" this time around), so it's a...choice to suggest there might be a rift from this one situation, especially with Krang respecting his anger at the retreat.

Also, I gotta beg the question...would the Toad Baron reform as a tadpole and have to go through the whole metamorphosis process if he were killed???

(beams away for now)
Old 07-16-2022, 03:42 AM   #42
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
So whatever Krang is made of is stronger than the digestive acids in a mutant alligator's stomach, then, or what?
There are stomach parasites in real life and they would have to be, so it's not exactly a stretch of the imagination that he would be.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 06:19 AM   #43
hypered1
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zog The Magnificent View Post
It's comic book science; he's a parasite and that's why Utroms can control corpses and bodies and such. Don't think about it too hard. The real issue is the fact that this plotpoint, like so many others, has exisited for over 2 years now and Campbell has done NOTHING with it, in favor of Mutant Town.
I think we can confidently say that LeatherKrang was on the list of things that Sophie wasn't/ isn't permitted to touch since she took over, or at least in so far that Tom's plans aren't affected
hypered1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 06:44 AM   #44
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypered1 View Post
I think we can confidently say that LeatherKrang was on the list of things that Sophie wasn't/ isn't permitted to touch since she took over, or at least in so far that Tom's plans aren't affected
Quite strange way to write a continuous story.

Create bunch of plot points, bail out of the book to attend to other obligations, permit using your story hooks and let new writer do...whatever **** they could, just without moving story forward in a significant way.

Like WTF? Is this normal for a comic book industry?
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 07:49 AM   #45
hypered1
Mad Scientist

Pretty sure it was always planned that Tom would return at some point as Sophie was only supposed to lead the series for a year or so and then Tom would return to close out his remaining plot threads, but other obligations like his promotion, TLR and in general things like covid caused some delays so as a result of that and having a few restrictions in place as previously mentioned the pacing of the series took at hit.
What this also means however is that once Tom's plots are wrapped up by the AG event, Sophie (who is staying on as lead afterwards) will be able do things more freely and be able to properly 'put her foot on the gas' so to speak.
Old 07-16-2022, 09:14 AM   #46
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Don't think about it too hard.
...To ME, he says this.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 09:22 AM   #47
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypered1 View Post
What this also means however is that once Tom's plots are wrapped up by the AG event, Sophie (who is staying on as lead afterwards) will be able do things more freely and be able to properly 'put her foot on the gas' so to speak.
I'm sorry, I legit want to bury the hatchet but this is just too damn funny. (flashes back to Multiverse of Madness) What gas? She's disassembled the car, tossed away the engine and turned the whole thing into a tricycle.
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 10:19 AM   #48
CyberCubed
Overlord

Yeah I think the original plan was for Tom to only take a brief hiatus from the book, maybe a year at most. But then covid happened and IDW stopped releasing new comics for a few months, and then he got too busy finishing The Last Ronin and the last two issues kept getting delayed...so here we are.

I think I remember Sophie even saying she was only there to do one or two story arcs at first, but then they just kept her on because Tom was too busy. So my guess was he was originally supposed to come back after the "battle of the bands" arc at the latest, but then he never did.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 12:57 PM   #49
Sumac
Banned

Oh, I see, it makes sense in a context, as they say.

Still they could've implement some contingency plan, just so reserve writer won't write crap, just to pad the space, but whatever.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 05:05 PM   #50
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
I wait six years to see Krang and Ch'rell to have a conversation and they're having a flashback spat lol
I've waited nearly twenty years to see Saki fight Bishop and it still hasn't happened, even though Armageddon Game is the perfect storyline to bring Bishop back, whether as one of Rat King's pawns or (even better) an uneasy ally for the Turtles. If this is Tom Waltz's last time writing the comic, and given Campbell's lack of interest in actual TMNT stories, it's unlikely we'll ever get such an opportunity again.
Old 07-16-2022, 07:12 PM   #51
Zog The Magnificent
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
...To ME, he says this.
I dunno man, comic books are weird, more than any other medium. There are just certain things you gotta leave by the door, and the mechanics of phlebotious processes is one of them. It's the same reason why we don't think about HOW exactly Superman can fly, or how Batman has managed to never kill anyone, or how any shapeshifter is able to change their mass. It's all part of the fun.
Zog The Magnificent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 08:08 PM   #52
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChosenOne View Post
I've waited nearly twenty years to see Saki fight Bishop and it still hasn't happened
... Hold on... Let's see here:
In Hun on the Run, he contacts Saki but he sends out Hun instead.
In Exodus part 1, they're in the same room but Bishop is too occupied to fight him before he gets on the ship.
The Utrom version does not appear again until Turtles Forever, which does not feature Bishop.
He is in the alliance against the Demon version but only ever fights monsters.
Shredder is not relevant for most of his appearances in the 2012 show.
In IDW he doesn't show up until after Shredder dies and dies himself before he comes back.

Huh, guess you're right.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 09:28 PM   #53
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Huh, guess you're right.
Sad face. At this point, I'm starting to think it's done on purpose, like Buffy the Vampire Slayer's Buffy and Drusilla never once duking it out (Dru did land a couple of blows on a restrained Buffy on one occasion, but that doesn't count) in seven years plus the comics.
Old 07-16-2022, 09:34 PM   #54
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
... Hold on... Let's see here:
In Hun on the Run, he contacts Saki but he sends out Hun instead.
In Exodus part 1, they're in the same room but Bishop is too occupied to fight him before he gets on the ship.
The Utrom version does not appear again until Turtles Forever, which does not feature Bishop.
He is in the alliance against the Demon version but only ever fights monsters.
Shredder is not relevant for most of his appearances in the 2012 show.
In IDW he doesn't show up until after Shredder dies and dies himself before he comes back.

Huh, guess you're right.
The freak birth defect was a poor origin. IDW can make up for it by being more true with his essence transferred into a cloned body instead of a shell. The EPF is still out there and it needs direction.It would be perfect to follow up with after The Armageddon Game concludes. It won't happen but still it would be cool.
Old 07-16-2022, 10:18 PM   #55
Zog The Magnificent
Stone Warrior

Genuine question, could someone summarize why they did not like IDW Bishop's origin? I continually saw that people here did not like it, but I still don't really understand why. Yes, this version of the character was more overtly villainous, but he still had most of the core character traits and, in my opinion, worked quite well in the context of the IDW iteration. I really don't get why people did not like this Bishop as much, or why him being deformed takes away from his actual character at all, given his role in the story.
Old 07-16-2022, 10:36 PM   #56
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
It's the same reason why we don't think about HOW exactly Superman can fly
At least some of the time, it's a form of tactile telekinesis.

At least John Byrne has thought of it.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 12:30 AM   #57
Ninjinister
無問題

Quote:
It's comic book science; he's a parasite and that's why Utroms can control corpses and bodies and such. Don't think about it too hard. The real issue is the fact that this plotpoint, like so many others, has exisited for over 2 years now and Campbell has done NOTHING with it, in favor of Mutant Town.
That's how this whole series has rolled, in case you haven't paid attention. Things are constantly introduced just to backburn for years. at 130 issues it's the norm.
Old 07-17-2022, 12:55 AM   #58
Zog The Magnificent
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinister View Post
That's how this whole series has rolled, in case you haven't paid attention. Things are constantly introduced just to backburn for years. at 130 issues it's the norm.
Things developed slowly, not "not at all." This series has always been a slow burn, but plot points still developed. Campbell completely sidelined all the main plot points in favor of Mutant Town, not even checking in with any part of the main plot of the comic until #125 or so where we finally got a few pages on Burnow Island. There's a difference betwee "slow burn" and "shoved into the back of the freezer."
Old 07-17-2022, 01:02 AM   #59
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Things developed slowly, not "not at all." This series has always been a slow burn, but plot points still developed. Campbell completely sidelined all the main plot points in favor of Mutant Town, not even checking in with any part of the main plot of the comic until #125 or so where we finally got a few pages on Burnow Island. There's a difference betwee "slow burn" and "shoved into the back of the freezer."
I think Sophie's general idea was that "I don't want to touch these things Waltz has in motion because he'll be back soon and he can do them then." But then for some reason (and we can speculate on why) he didn't come back as soon as originally planned. So she kept on doing what she was doing, because TPTB. I'm fairly sure if she was told "Sophie, Waltz is off the book for years, take the reins and do whatever" we'd have probably got at least some continuance of pre-existing threads. You can't get mad at her for the way things unfolded.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 02:50 AM   #60
Zog The Magnificent
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I think Sophie's general idea was that "I don't want to touch these things Waltz has in motion because he'll be back soon and he can do them then." But then for some reason (and we can speculate on why) he didn't come back as soon as originally planned. So she kept on doing what she was doing, because TPTB. I'm fairly sure if she was told "Sophie, Waltz is off the book for years, take the reins and do whatever" we'd have probably got at least some continuance of pre-existing threads. You can't get mad at her for the way things unfolded.
I can get mad at the incredibly subpar writing and terrible characters that have overtaken the book for Cambell's entire tenure. In some ways, I suppose I should be glad the old plot points weren't touched; The comic may have been agonizingly spinning it's wheels for way too long, but at least the actual important things weren't spoiled.