Oh, yeah, totally the same thing.
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 07:33 AM   #3
neatoman
Emperor

The exact "spiel" mentioned goes like this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skonk
Besides-- There are no innocents! We are all guilty of letting America slide from greatness into the muck of mediocrity-- Allowing our perfect nation to become a haven for unwholesome aliens like you! The Committee to Rebuild American Patriotism would have changed all that-- We would have begun a nuclear tidal wave would have swept this country-- The world-- Clean!
And in case someone is unfamiliar with the issue or has only seen the 4Kids adaptation, Skonk isn't calling the mutants "aliens" because he has mistaken them for extra-terrestrials, he thinks they're part of some kind of foreign communist conspiracy. Skonk's exact political beliefs are somewhat unclear beyond disliking communists and thinking people should do their part for America.

I'm not entirely sure what the Reagan connection is, I mostly just know about Reaganomics and "Tear down this wall", if he said anything about nuking the countryside to inspire patriotism or America being a haven for communists you'll let me know. Seems more like McCarthy to me.
Hahahaha!

Last edited by neatoman; 07-18-2022 at 04:09 PM.
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 09:44 AM   #4
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cipher View Post
Naw. Not like it is nowadays.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 10:00 AM   #5
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cipher View Post
That's not what "woke" is. You are tone deaf. My guess is that you read this and put a half retard smile on your face and scoff at the reply instead of actually trying to compute how out of touch you are through your example.

And this is how it's going to evolve - the generation of mouth breathers will continue to make distinctions-where-there-are-none or connections-by-thread with a strengthening weave of nonsense and insist that they are informed and correct.

Critical thinking errors of the highest order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Skonk's exact political beliefs are somewhat unclear beyond disliking communists and thinking people should do their part for America.
Well done here - not because of the positioning but for shining an experiential light on a story that many of us probably haven't read.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 10:00 AM   #6
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Yeah. "Something-something-Reagan, 2nd amendment and people who own guns bad because reasons" is hardly what's going on now.

Though it's always been interesting that the moment Kevin and Peter stopped doing their partnership (#12) that's where Peter chose to take the story. And it's fine. It's just interesting, and shows what interests each one over the other, if left to their own devices.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 10:09 AM   #7
mrmaczaps
Banned

TMNT Archies series went hard Leftist political... even some of the main Mirage series got a little lunie preachy bs. Yet, they were fine showing the Turtles with full autos & other firearms & scifi shooters... without being responsible with/for showing proper care/use of said firearms. Which is typical leftist. Laird is super lefty but I tend to think Eastman just stays neutral as he used to own a tank. (Everyone should....)
mrmaczaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 10:19 AM   #8
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmaczaps View Post
TMNT Archies series went hard Leftist political...
But I wouldn't say in a too preachy way. Though I gotta say, as a small child reading those Archies I had it in my head that even by the year 2000 all of the rainforests would be long burned away entirely. Because of those comics. I remember asking my parents, "Is there any rainforest left??"

Quote:
Laird is super lefty but I tend to think Eastman just stays neutral as he used to own a tank. (Everyone should....)
There's no way Eastman could be a leftist. That dude is like obsessed with guns in everything he does.
Old 07-18-2022, 10:47 AM   #9
CyberCubed
Overlord

Wasn't General Blanque a fascist dictator who wanted genocide?
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 10:59 AM   #10
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
But I wouldn't say in a too preachy way. Though I gotta say, as a small child reading those Archies I had it in my head that even by the year 2000 all of the rainforests would be long burned away entirely. Because of those comics. I remember asking my parents, "Is there any rainforest left??"
Funny thing is, that's actually one of the many factors that drove me away from the somewhat leftie mindset I had as a child. There's only so many decades you can live through while hearing that tired old "Only ten years left to change it around!" spiel before you start to zone out and see it for what it is. No wonder it's always the kids, aka the ones with the least life experience, they try to brainwash.
Old 07-18-2022, 11:20 AM   #11
Zog The Magnificent
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChosenOne View Post
Funny thing is, that's actually one of the many factors that drove me away from the somewhat leftie mindset I had as a child. There's only so many decades you can live through while hearing that tired old "Only ten years left to change it around!" spiel before you start to zone out and see it for what it is. No wonder it's always the kids, aka the ones with the least life experience, they try to brainwash.
It's always been "10 years to save it!" It was 10 years 30 years ago, it was 10 years 20 years ago, and it's still 10 years now. Could it be that this brand of environmental preaching is entirely full of it?

Nah, couldn't be...
Zog The Magnificent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 12:10 PM   #12
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zog The Magnificent View Post
It's always been "10 years to save it!" It was 10 years 30 years ago, it was 10 years 20 years ago, and it's still 10 years now. Could it be that this brand of environmental preaching is entirely full of it?

Nah, couldn't be...
Sure, you say that now, but wait 10 years and you'll see! And then 10 more years after that, and then... You get 10 years, and you get 10 years, and you get 10 years, everybody gets 10 years to save the world! I wonder which will arrive first, their big Waterworld thing or GRRM's The Winds of Winter...
Old 07-18-2022, 12:41 PM   #13
mrmaczaps
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChosenOne View Post
Sure, you say that now, but wait 10 years and you'll see! And then 10 more years after that, and then... You get 10 years, and you get 10 years, and you get 10 years, everybody gets 10 years to save the world! I wonder which will arrive first, their big Waterworld thing or GRRM's The Winds of Winter...
Yeah, its been "10 years" for my entire life...

Also, I swiped your banner image... lol.
Old 07-18-2022, 12:46 PM   #14
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

And what would I know? I was like a 9 year old kid when those came out. Jagwar was telling me in the comic that millions of acres of rainforest were getting burned every day or whatever, who am I to question him? Sounded like an insurmountable problem.
Old 07-18-2022, 02:02 PM   #15
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Didn't Cudley send the turtles to the future by mistake where the greenhouse effect caused mass flooding and stuff. I wonder if it was the future-future or like say... 2012 and we already passed that year in real life.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 02:04 PM   #16
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
Didn't Cudley send the turtles to the future by mistake where the greenhouse effect caused mass flooding and stuff. I wonder if it was the future-future or like say... 2012 and we already passed that year in real life.
Yeah, and that was pretty early on. Pollution of the ocean got some spotlight, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zog The Magnificent View Post

Nah, couldn't be...
I think the one I've been hearing the most lately is that we have 10 years left in which we can make a difference. If we don't, then it's all over for sure 10 years after that.
Old 07-18-2022, 03:00 PM   #17
CyberCubed
Overlord

Wasn't 2021 recorded to be the warmest/hottest year on Earth in terms of temperatures around the world? And 2022 looks to be the same? There's news stories right now of Spain/Portugal and people dying in heat waves in Europe.
Old 07-18-2022, 03:07 PM   #18
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Wasn't 2021 recorded to be the warmest/hottest year on Earth in terms of temperatures around the world?
No. It was tied for 6th place.
Old 07-18-2022, 03:35 PM   #19
mrmaczaps
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post

There's no way Eastman could be a leftist. That dude is like obsessed with guns in everything he does.
Not that he would say anything about any of that at a show or whatever... lol. Too bad he doesn't too.
Old 07-18-2022, 03:40 PM   #20
CyberCubed
Overlord

Kevin Eastman with nothing holding him back.