Notices

Old 08-11-2022, 09:03 AM   #101
beardcore84
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Ho ho. I owe you no such indulgence.
Right.....

I see this all the time from racists. The ole "I don't owe you an explanation" routine.

Let's be real: You have no explanation because you can't come up with a reason why race swapping a character is bad (it isn't) on a show you haven't even watched (I have), because when it comes down to it, the reason is that you just don't want to see another black person on your tv.

I mean I'm all ears if you want to provide a compelling argument. But I doubt it. To anyone who thinks it's made up, it's right here in black and white on the pages of the forum itself, in this very thread. Take your blinders off.
beardcore84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 10:34 AM   #102
Cowabung-Gal
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by beardcore84 View Post
Right.....

I see this all the time from racists. The ole "I don't owe you an explanation" routine.

Let's be real: You have no explanation because you can't come up with a reason why race swapping a character is bad (it isn't) on a show you haven't even watched (I have), because when it comes down to it, the reason is that you just don't want to see another black person on your tv.

I mean I'm all ears if you want to provide a compelling argument. But I doubt it. To anyone who thinks it's made up, it's right here in black and white on the pages of the forum itself, in this very thread. Take your blinders off.
Since you are so convinced that white people cannot determine what’s racist, here are a couple of black people who make compelling arguments against race swapping:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljJzUKBEidM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiB7pE9qank

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mkCNxUwXtI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4henVjDtKVY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivg-KwEcxz4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_4ct4xFZBg

Last edited by Cowabung-Gal; 08-11-2022 at 10:56 AM.
Cowabung-Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 12:29 PM   #103
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by beardcore84 View Post
you can't come up with a reason why race swapping a character is bad
No, I just know better than to engage in arguments with zealots.

See, if you're the type of person who needs it explained to them WHY race-swapping is bad - and it Is - you're not the kind of person who'd accept anything I'd say regardless.

Plenty of black people, Hispanics, and others on this forum are also outspokenly against the practice, even when it "benefits" Their People. So I guess they're all just brainwashed racists too, by your standard.

Nah, man, we're done. Your first post in many years was to call me racist, so obviously you feel pretty strongly about it despite being wrong. I know better than to indulge People Like You. You're not interested in good-faith conversation, you're just here to scold and make libelous statements. We're all on to you.

Have at it, but know that all I'm going to do is shake my head and laugh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowabung-Gal View Post
Since you are so convinced that white people cannot determine what’s racist, here are a couple of black people who make compelling arguments against race swapping:
I don't have time to watch those videos, but the best argument I've seen against it so far came from a black guy on another forum. To paraphrase: "You don't 'create equality' by taking chairs from White People and giving them to Black People (or other non-whites). You simply set more chairs at the table for everyone else and the issue resolves itself."

Not surprisingly, that guy was White-splained to immediately by several well-meaning bleeding hearts, who insisted that this poor black person was just SO inundated with systemic racism that they can't even decide for themselves what's sufficiently "racist" and how best to deal with it. "Have a seat, black guy, and let US decide the proper level of moral outrage you're supposed to have!"

I cannot imagine how annoying that must be. To actually BE a minority, and to say out loud "Race-swapping is Racist and lazy and enacts no true change or improvement", and in turn to be told by a bunch of white people you're too ignorant to have any opinion on the subject.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/

Last edited by Leo656; 08-11-2022 at 12:35 PM.
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 12:43 PM   #104
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

And it'd kind of be arguing the wrong point. It's not "Bad" to change the race of an established character, it's just stupid and mock-virtuous and actually sends the wrong message about the racial group you're trying to prop up as an ally. The message being: (for example) "the only way a black character can work is if they replace an existing, already popular character who is white." That's a horrible message!
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 12:56 PM   #105
Cowabung-Gal
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
I cannot imagine how annoying that must be. To actually BE a minority, and to say out loud "Race-swapping is Racist and lazy and enacts no true change or improvement", and in turn to be told by a bunch of white people you're too ignorant to have any opinion on the subject.
I have the same problem with male feminists who call me a misogynist because I reject the idea of gender-swapping traditionally male characters in the name of “diversity”, even though I’m a woman.
Old 08-11-2022, 04:07 PM   #106
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Fugitoid. View Post
I'll take that bait. Ordinarily, I'm not too fond of race swaps because they're not true to the author's original intent. Additionally, they don't often work. Take 'The Dark Tower ' as an example; Idris is a great actor, but he was absolutely the wrong choice for that role. It should've gone to a white man. As it is, they had to butcher the story to make the main character work as a black man. Does that mean a black man should not star in a western? No. It just didn't work in that particular instance.

But by your logic, I'm a racist. Is that how it's supposed to work?

On the flip side, Sam Jackson as Nick Fury was fantastic. That change didn't harm the story; it was a different way of looking at that character.
I'd say Sam Jackson doesn't count cause he's the Ultimate version of Nick who was always purposely designed to look like or pay homage to Sam Jackson.

Now if the Ultimate Universe never existed......

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 05:59 PM   #107
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Fugitoid. View Post
Crap. I forgot about the Ultimate universe.
But now most everyone did. The only things people even remember anymore are Sam Jackson Nick Fury, Miles and The Blob eating Wasp out.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 08:54 PM   #108
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
I have the same problem with male feminists who call me a misogynist because I reject the idea of gender-swapping traditionally male characters in the name of “diversity”, even though I’m a woman.
Ohhh, but don't you seeeee? According to them, you have 'internalized Misogyny" and have been brainwashed by the patriarchy! You only think freely if you think EXACTLY like them!

Ugh, I think this is why my mom hates feminist third wavers...

IDW is the best version of TMNT

If they make a TMNT reboot movie retelling the shredder battle/origin, I won't buy a ticket.
Panda_Kahn_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 09:02 PM   #109
Cowabung-Gal
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda_Kahn_fan View Post
Ohhh, but don't you seeeee? According to them, you have 'internalized Misogyny" and have been brainwashed by the patriarchy! You only think freely if you think EXACTLY like them!

Ugh, I think this is why my mom hates feminist third wavers...
I’m not gonna let a bunch of whiny boys tell me how to think or how to live my life, otherwise I really would be giving in to the patriarchy. I consider myself to be a strong woman, and instead of cheering me on, they try to tear me down. Hypocrites.
Old 08-16-2022, 07:34 AM   #110
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
I’m not gonna let a bunch of whiny boys tell me how to think or how to live my life, otherwise I really would be giving in to the patriarchy. I consider myself to be a strong woman, and instead of cheering me on, they try to tear me down. Hypocrites.
That sounds more ACTUAL feminist than most of those wannabe white knights do, well said!

IDW is the best version of TMNT

If they make a TMNT reboot movie retelling the shredder battle/origin, I won't buy a ticket.
Panda_Kahn_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 03:17 PM   #111
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Yeah, I would think that legit "internalized misogyny" over that would be more-so a mindset that only male characters should have those kinds of roles and that a woman should remain lesser in contrast. Simply finding gender swapping existing characters lazy, which I personally do, does not fit that at all imo. I want those kinds of roles for women, and good characters everyone will love, not just women... but, you know, original ones, not a gender swapped one that took so little effort as if they can't figure out how to write like that for women without using an existing man as a template.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 05:41 PM   #112
clockstomper
Thug

I just hope Rogan's involvement is minimal like in The Boys. There he cuts a check and lets Eric Kripke do his thing. Hopefully he'll let the creatives be. But I have a bad feeling he'll try and voice one of the Turtles.
clockstomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 06:49 PM   #113
neatoman
Emperor

Since this movie is coming out in theaters, I probably won't "boycott" it.

Though I kind of wonder, how empty will my showing be? Will this movie be well-marketed?
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 07:21 PM   #114
Cowabung-Gal
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by clockstomper View Post
I just hope Rogan's involvement is minimal like in The Boys. There he cuts a check and lets Eric Kripke do his thing. Hopefully he'll let the creatives be. But I have a bad feeling he'll try and voice one of the Turtles.
“Cowabunga, man. Eh-heh-heh-heh-heh!”
Old 01-24-2023, 08:03 PM   #115
Cowabung-Gal
Mad Scientist

Y’all thought I was crazy to boycott the upcoming movie.

Still think I’m crazy now that you’ve seen the leaked storyboards (disclaimer: which may or may not be real)?
Old 01-25-2023, 03:56 AM   #116
AquaParade
Banned

Yeah, kinda. It’s not that serious.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 07:54 AM   #117
Zulithe
Ninjutsu Master

I haven't decided to boycott at this time. The first trailer will need to be god awful for me to consider that. Even if they ruin April, they might not ruin the turtles. I like seeing the turtles on the big screen so I'm still hopeful and rooting for this to work.
Zulithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 08:38 AM   #118
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Y’all thought I was crazy to boycott the upcoming movie.

https://advancedpracticeandemergency...4/img_1025.jpg

Still think I’m crazy now that you’ve seen the leaked storyboards (disclaimer: which may or may not be real)?
Well let's put it like this, I pretty much knew Prey for the Devil, Black Adam, Thor: Love and Thunder, Jurassic World: Dominion, Firestarter, Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness, Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore, Morbius, The Matrix Resurrections, Eternals, Antlers, Old, Godzilla vs. Kong, The New Mutants, Doctor Sleep, Rambo: Last Blood, Ma, Aladdin 2019, Pet Sematary, Captain Marvel, Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald and Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom were all going to be bad movies going in... Didn't stop me from seeing everyone single one in the theater though... Same goes for the PD movies...

You really think the story boards for that terrible scene and the bad designs is going to dissuade me from watching it? The movie would have to be little more than a black screen to prevent me from buying a ticket, that is to say, it wouldn't even qualify as a movie for me to not consider it worth seeing.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 09:12 AM   #119
Anarchistguy
Mad Scientist

Location: Canada (This country is too peaceful, Something's up...)
Quote:
That’s like saying climate change doesn’t exist.
Welllllllll....

"When my time comes, I wanna be buried face down, so those who don't like me can kiss my ass!"
Anarchistguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 11:54 PM   #120
liugeaux
Hench Mutant

Wow, I didn't know Rogen was so divisive. His stuff is hit-and-miss, but overall, I like the dude.

Keep in mind though, he's just one of the producers. Sure a lot of it is probably his idea, but it's really the director's job to make sure it doesn't suck. That's Jeff Rowe and he directed The Mitchells Vs The Machines, a FANTASTIC kid's movie. He also wrote for Gravity Falls and Disenchantment.

One thing's for sure, it's gonna be a kid's movie, so any pipe dreams we might have of this film being edgy, super-weird or revolutionary can probably be thrown out the window. Also, if you're over 25 they are probably not writing this film with your opinion in mind.
liugeaux is offline   Reply With Quote