The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 06-09-2013, 08:55 AM   #1
Shark_Blade
Emperor

TMNT Newspaper Comic Strip

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teenag...comic_strip%29

Anyone know where I can find it? I used to read it when I was a kid. Sadly this edition was never collected or published. Maybe it's somewhere online? Scans maybe? I tried googling but got this only:

Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 10:08 AM   #2
gobo
Wacky Action

http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://...s.com/strips/*

gobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 11:18 AM   #3
oldmanwinters
Overlord

This thread might help.
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=33392

I have archived all the strips that ran on the GoComics website until they abruptly ended the run soon after Peter Laird sold the TMNT to Viacom. Some strips have been reprinted in Comics Revue, and I think all of them were temporarily available on the official TMNT site back around the late 90s and early 00s.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 04:19 PM   #4
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Sweet, thanks guys!
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 05:59 PM   #5
wilddiverse
Stone Warrior

Sadly there's no new findings I can report on this side quest - I see the mediafire link to my wayback machine findings for 1995-1996 is kaput so http://www.sendspace.com/file/b0qdi2.

The Mirage Studios hard drive is long gone so the full strip archive where I dug these up is not recoverable that way. Ever-helpful Dan Berger didn't know which twenty newspapers ran the strip through to the end of its syndication, though, but did say most of them were in close proximity to Northampton, MA.
It's a shame since Berger's strip was a terrific melting pot of everything TMNT - humor, action, sci-fi and dinosaurs, Mirage comic cast showed up, characters that only existed as action figures appeared...
And now I've just sent emails to both Creators Syndicate and King Features asking what information they might have on a list of the papers that ran the strip through December 31, 1996. Maybe this'll get us a new lead.
wilddiverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 07:33 PM   #6
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilddiverse View Post
The Mirage Studios hard drive is long gone so the full strip archive where I dug these up is not recoverable that way. Ever-helpful Dan Berger didn't know which twenty newspapers ran the strip through to the end of its syndication, though, but did say most of them were in close proximity to Northampton, MA.
Oh, yes, I absolutely LOVE Berger's art style and the newspaper strip really let him cut loose with it!

View my sketch work!
Old 06-09-2013, 07:54 PM   #7
Enscripture
Hench Mutant

I scanned a few of the Comic Revue magazines that also have the newspaper strips. I have more, but have to photoshop them whenever I get around to it:

Comics Revue #58

Comics Revue #60
Enscripture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 07:59 PM   #8
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilddiverse View Post
And now I've just sent emails to both Creators Syndicate and King Features asking what information they might have on a list of the papers that ran the strip through December 31, 1996. Maybe this'll get us a new lead.
Yes, that's a great idea
There's always the possibility that someone with access to lengthy newspaper archives could go through the issues manually and take copies of the last few strips. It would be a big chore, but all it takes is one willing person with the means to do it.

View my sketch work!
Old 06-09-2013, 10:35 PM   #9
rich
Mad Scientist

I have all of them saved in 2 scrapbooks from back in the day (from the Denver Post / Rocky Mountain News). You'll be able to see them all when my site launches this summer. Here are the first five.

rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:52 AM   #10
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich View Post
I have all of them saved in 2 scrapbooks from back in the day (from the Denver Post / Rocky Mountain News). You'll be able to see them all when my site launches this summer. Here are the first five.
Oh, curiouser and curiouser!

View my sketch work!
Old 06-10-2013, 09:03 AM   #11
funatic
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Awesome! Thanks rich!
funatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:32 PM   #12
Venom
Space Knight

Quote:
ALL of them?!

Sweet jesus, man, lend them to Ted Adams so we can get these things printed up!
Old 06-10-2013, 09:37 PM   #13
snake
Disgusting

Does anyone have any strips with Pizzaface? I heard he showed up.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:49 PM   #14
rich
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
ALL of them?!

Sweet jesus, man, lend them to Ted Adams so we can get these things printed up!
Well, I think I have them all...I stopped collecting them when they stopped being run in our paper but maybe they kept going after that. I had thought that was the end though. I have two scrapbooks. There are almost 200 pages of strips with one side the 5 weekday comics and the other the color Sunday comics. I also have all the Comics Revue issues that reprinted them as well but I never cross-checked the scrapbooks against the Comics Revue issues.

rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:43 PM   #15
Cipher
Foot Elite

I'd love to be able to read these.

If there's any way to get them all together in an IDW book or eight, I'd buy them in a heartbeat. (Wink wink, nudge nudge.)
Cipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:58 PM   #16
liugeaux
Hench Mutant

I'm pretty sure most if not all of these are available if you are willing to go torrent diving. I keep digital copies of all the physical books I buy, for quick reference reasons. One of the torrents I downloaded that had a bunch of TMNT comics all had about 1064 different strips in it. I'm looking at them right now.

If these were made available in print via IDW I would snatch it up in a second.
liugeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:51 PM   #17
Venom
Space Knight

I recall the TMNT paper strips being considered, but it's always a glancing mention when someone asks; I've emailed Kings and Creators as well but never heard from them.

Murph regularly sells original strips on ebay, so I suppose the best option would be to contact the local papers around Northampton or if someone lives close enough to visit the local archives and try to document how long the series ran to, conclusively, then the next step would be to catalogue them online.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:43 AM   #18
snake
Disgusting

Quote:
Originally Posted by liugeaux View Post
I'm pretty sure most if not all of these are available if you are willing to go torrent diving. I keep digital copies of all the physical books I buy, for quick reference reasons. One of the torrents I downloaded that had a bunch of TMNT comics all had about 1064 different strips in it. I'm looking at them right now.

Maybe we can annoy IDW for a TPB set of them 😃!
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:19 PM   #19
wilddiverse
Stone Warrior

Thanks for this link! I clicked through the 452 gifs there and managed to find another 16 strips from the April 19, 1995-December 31, 1996 span.
Quote:
<snip>...I have two scrapbooks. There are almost 200 pages of strips with one side the 5 weekday comics and the other the color Sunday comics. I also have all the Comics Revue issues that reprinted them as well but I never cross-checked the scrapbooks against the Comics Revue issues.
I am definitely looking forward to seeing color Sunday strips. I'd be curious to hear about a comparison to what's in the Comics Revues as well.
Quote:
Those are archives of what GoComics posted daily on their site from June 19, 2006 to November 14, 2009. There's a lot of material not included: weekend strips, most of 1995, all of 1996, and I just discovered that there are whole weeks missing in one part, possibly more. I'll know in a day or two.
Quote:
Clearly I would as well.
For now, though, if anyone knows where to find any scans of any rare strips that could be included in an archive, shoot me a PM.
wilddiverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:44 PM   #20
Powder
So tired of this place

Hey Wilddiverse do you think you could upload an updated version of the strips with those new ones you just found?

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comics, newspaper strips