Mad Scientist

TMNT: Saturday Morning Adventures #4. Preview and discussion

First look:

Spoiler:
AlZarkovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 10:51 AM   #2
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Poor Splinter, what a way to go... gassed like an unwanted rat!

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 11:55 AM   #3
frank_one
Mad Scientist

Nice nod to the Mirage folks in the Ace Duck poster.
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 12:06 PM   #4
Shedder
Hench Mutant

Is this the final issue or will this series continue past 4?
Shedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 12:11 PM   #5
Cowabung-Gal
The Party Dudette

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_one View Post
Nice nod to the Mirage folks in the Ace Duck poster.
Technically Ace didn’t appear until the Fred Wolf cartoon, and before that he was just an action figure that was conceived by Playmates.
Old 01-10-2023, 04:23 PM   #6
CyberCubed
Overlord

These issues feel like those licensed Random House children's books from the 90's rather than being written like an actual original cartoon episode would be. That's the closest thing I can relate it to, those old 90's children books drawn based on the Fred Wolf cartoon and had unique stories...but they never felt like an actual episode because the way the Turtles/characters and stories were written just didn't feel the same.

It's sad because I really wanted to get into this but it just, "doesn't feel the same."
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 04:43 PM   #7
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
These issues feel like those licensed Random House children's books from the 90's rather than being written like an actual original cartoon episode would be. That's the closest thing I can relate it to, those old 90's children books drawn based on the Fred Wolf cartoon and had unique stories...but they never felt like an actual episode because the way the Turtles/characters and stories were written just didn't feel the same.

It's sad because I really wanted to get into this but it just, "doesn't feel the same."
Modern comics don’t tend to follow the traditional 3 Act structure like old cartoon episodes did.

View my sketch work!
Old 01-10-2023, 04:46 PM   #8
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Are anyone buying these? Cause I completely forgot they exist.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 05:04 PM   #9
Chaotix12345
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shedder View Post
Is this the final issue or will this series continue past 4?
This is the last one for now, but I could definitely see them doing more in the future. (Especially since the trade collection of the first four is labeled "Volume 1.")
Chaotix12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 05:11 PM   #10
oldmanwinters
Overlord

I think Sat Morn Adv might be featured as a FCBD issue this year.
https://www.cgmagonline.com/news/fre...book-day-2023/
https://www.instagram.com/p/CnMxL9oL...d=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

View my sketch work!
Old 01-10-2023, 05:25 PM   #11
CyberCubed
Overlord

I checked out the first issue but not the others so far. I guess you can just never "recapture" what the original cartoon actually was. It's hard to describe, but every time they try to make a comic, homage or continuation of it, it just feels not the same.

I guess it really was lightning in a bottle.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 08:40 PM   #12
Anarchistguy
Mad Scientist

Location: Canada (This country is too peaceful, Something's up...)
Not sure how I feel about the TMNT calling each other by their nicknames since it never happened in the cartoon.

"When my time comes, I wanna be buried face down, so those who don't like me can kiss my ass!"
Anarchistguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 09:21 PM   #13
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarchistguy View Post
Not sure how I feel about the TMNT calling each other by their nicknames since it never happened in the cartoon.
This mini quite literally features TCRI as a major plot element and implies they might have been responsible for the mutagen rather than Krang or Shredder, there are bigger deviations from the cartoon than using the Nicknames.

Quote:

Quote:
I checked out the first issue but not the others so far. I guess you can just never "recapture" what the original cartoon actually was. It's hard to describe, but every time they try to make a comic, homage or continuation of it, it just feels not the same.

I guess it really was lightning in a bottle.
Well, it is difficult to emulate 10-15 minutes of filler in a comic book, not to mention impossible include animation errors and terrible sound mixing. And oh gosh darn it, the monthly schedule coupled with the reasonable amount of installments meant the writer must have given into the temptation of spending more than a single hour writing each script, so not even the sloppy writing has been emulated! Oh no, I am so sad that crappy cartoon that should have by all rights been considered nothing but an embarrassing relic by now can't be replicated properly, will we ever be able to see something do that piece of shit show justice?

OK, I'm not going to pretend this comic is interesting, because it's essentially children's comic book aimed at 40-somethings. However, I'm not going to pretend it's less interesting than the actual Fred Wolf show itself. Had these issues actually been episodes of the show back then, I doubt you would have disliked them, they might even have been considered some of the better episodes on the basis that they're more coherent than most episodes. And what are the actual plots here? VR with plenty of villains teaming up, A Rock Soldier learning the meaning of Rock 'N Roll, Casey Jones with Electric Superpowers and Fantastic Journey but with Mousers... Do any of those sound like something you would have had a problem with as a kid?
Hahahaha!

Last edited by neatoman; 01-11-2023 at 06:06 AM.
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 10:02 PM   #14
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
Looks like it's just gonna be a reprint of the first issue with an extra Rise back up story?

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
And what are the actual plots here? VR with plenty of villains teaming up, A Rock Soldier learning the meaning of Rock 'N Roll, Casey Jones with Electric Superpowers and Fantastic Journey but with Mousers... DO any of those sound like something you would have had a problem with as a kid?
Don't hold back Neatoman, tell us how you really feel.

Honestly though, the stone warrior rock and roll one felt the most out of left field even for the 80's show.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 11:48 PM   #15
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Well, it is difficult to emulate 10-15 minutes of filler in a comic book, not to mention impossible include animation errors and terrible sound mixing. And oh gosh darn it, the monthly schedule coupled with the reasonable amount of installments meant the writer must have given into the temptation of spending more than a single hour writing each script, so not even the sloppy writing has been emulated! Oh no, I am so sad that crappy cartoon that should have by all rights been considered nothing but an embarrassing relic by now can't be replicated properly, will we ever be able to see something do that piece of shit show justice?
You won't get that Mirage adaptation for Christmas, so might cry all you want, LOL.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 06:54 AM   #16
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
You won't get that Mirage adaptation for Christmas, so might cry all you want, LOL.
So you're perfectly happy with this comic then?
Hahahaha!
Old 01-14-2023, 07:43 AM   #17
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
So you're perfectly happy with this comic then?
Haven't read it, yet.
Just don't see necessity to **** on an old cartoon, which have ended more than 20 years ago.

Let it go, mate. Remove crust from your pants and look into the future.
Old 01-14-2023, 09:50 AM   #18
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Haven't read it, yet.
Just don't see necessity to **** on an old cartoon, which have ended more than 20 years ago.

Let it go, mate. Remove crust from your pants and look into the future.
Well, see, what I'm trying to say is that is that if this comic is intended to capture the spirit of that cartoon which ended more than 20 years ago (which it is clearly intended to do), then it hasn't exactly failed if it's generic and dull.
Hahahaha!
Old 01-14-2023, 11:36 AM   #19
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Well, see, what I'm trying to say is that is that if this comic is intended to capture the spirit of that cartoon which ended more than 20 years ago (which it is clearly intended to do), then it hasn't exactly failed if it's generic and dull.
It could have been done without ******** on an old series.
Old 01-14-2023, 04:37 PM   #20
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
It could have been done without ******** on an old series.
... Well, I kind of can't, the whole premise of the argument is that an uninteresting comic can't be worse than the cartoon on the basis that the cartoon sucked in the first place. I guess I didn't need to be sarcastic about it but I can't say the Fred Wolf cartoon is bad without saying the Fred Wolf cartoon is bad.
Hahahaha!